Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This episode proves that the method of time travel matters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode proves that the method of time travel matters.

Stargate has shown that the method of time travel matters. A Solar Flare induce temporal event will send you, and anything else involved back (or forward) in your same timeline, while Ancient time travel technology uses the "new reality is created the moment you go back in time" thing. At least that is the conclusion that I've come to after watching 1969, 2010, The Last Man, Continuum, Time, and now Twin Destinies.

Yup, because you can't replicate everything perfectly, doing it the "natural" way is the way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-17 View Post
      Stargate has shown that the method of time travel matters. A Solar Flare induce temporal event will send you, and anything else involved back (or forward) in your same timeline, while Ancient time travel technology uses the "new reality is created the moment you go back in time" thing. At least that is the conclusion that I've come to after watching 1969, 2010, The Last Man, Continuum, Time, and now Twin Destinies.
      Not really. The effects of both seem to be exactly the same.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I don't think they've actually been consistent at all.

Erasure of Timelines
        2010 -- Using solar flare and Stargate wormhole to erase existing timeline completely.

Before I Sleep -- Janus' Time Jumper allows Weir to correct the Atlantis problem, thereby erasing her original timeline.

Moebius -- Timeline A causes Timeline B, which elects to erase itself and cause Timeline C--our Stargate universe.

The Last Man -- Sheppard learns from a past he didn't experience, before travelling back in time and erasing said past from ever happening.

Continuum -- See Moebius

Time -- See Moebius

Alternate Approaches
        1969 -- An combination of solar flare and Stargate wormhole causes pre-destination paradox (Hammond).

It's Good To Be King -- Janus' Time Jumper was used to observe and accurately predict events on the planet, even factoring in that someone would come along who knew how to read Ancient--a possible pre-destination paradox in itself.

Twin Destinies -- Timeline A directly interacts with Timeline B to avert itself. No Timeline C involved.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yeah, but it all depends just on how much was changed that determines what ended up happening.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I don't think they've actually been consistent at all.

Erasure of Timelines
            2010 -- Using solar flare and Stargate wormhole to erase existing timeline completely.

Before I Sleep -- Janus' Time Jumper allows Weir to correct the Atlantis problem, thereby erasing her original timeline.

Moebius -- Timeline A causes Timeline B, which elects to erase itself and cause Timeline C--our Stargate universe.

The Last Man -- Sheppard learns from a past he didn't experience, before travelling back in time and erasing said past from ever happening.

Continuum -- See Moebius

Time -- See Moebius

Alternate Approaches
            1969 -- An combination of solar flare and Stargate wormhole causes pre-destination paradox (Hammond).

It's Good To Be King -- Janus' Time Jumper was used to observe and accurately predict events on the planet, even factoring in that someone would come along who knew how to read Ancient--a possible pre-destination paradox in itself.

Twin Destinies -- Timeline A directly interacts with Timeline B to avert itself. No Timeline C involved.
            They've stuck to a few core rules for time travel, namely the solar flares and Ancient technology bit. The problem comes in that other than those basic rules, time travel has been done purely for the sake of doing a time travel episode.

That's what troubles me so much about Twin Destinies: by any of the established Stargate time travel "rules", what happened should have been largely impossible. Telford back on Earth makes sense, but the rest is total BS. There's no way that Destiny +12 should have moved backward in time. The fact was, they took the easy way out with Destiny +12 going back in time. Two out of the last four episodes have pretty much ended with "Here, have another shuttle." Rather than actually stick with the idea that Destiny is damn near crippled, the writers dropped an hour long cop out on us, as well as once again making sure Telford can't spend more than a few episodes at a time on Destiny.

Spoiler:
            That said, I love how they've set things up for Common Descent.

Things just felt forced this time around, as if the writers said "OK, they're really badly off. Let's drop a total solution in their laps."
            Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

It's their rules of time travel, they can add to them however they like. You could argue it was just as "impossible" for SG-1 to travel back in time via a solar flare and a wormhole in "1969."

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                It's their rules of time travel, they can add to them however they like. You could argue it was just as "impossible" for SG-1 to travel back in time via a solar flare and a wormhole in "1969."
                It's thier rules true, to a certain extent. Once you set precedent, you either have to follow your own rules, or give a reason why you break your previous rules. If you don't, a bunch of people on the net will jump up and down and say "You can't do that!!"
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Internal consistency. I assume you're familiar with the term? I don't care what their rules are, so long as they are reasonably followed. They haven't done that.

Besides, 1969 laid down the basic idea of solar flares interacting with Stargates to travel through time. Twin Destinies basically has a solar flare instead send the entire ship back, rather than going with the established "solar flare messes with wormhole en route, potentially sending it to a different point in space while always a different point in time." There's a huge difference between introducing a new concept and ignoring precedent. It was pretty obviously done to get yet another shuttle aboard, and give an easy copout for fixing the ship. I don't see why this is so hard to get.

Spoiler:
                  Not to mention set up Common Descent

Comment

That sounds more like an addition to the rules, rather than a breaking of them to me.

Comment

WoW hold your horses people...unstable wormhole usualy vaporizes you.
                      Time traveling becouse of it isthe exception not the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                        That sounds more like an addition to the rules, rather than a breaking of them to me.
                        "Wormholes near or passing through a solar flare shall cause time travel, except when the heroes need spare parts or the writers want to do a 2 Rush episode."

Canon puts time travel due to solar flares as happening in wormhole transit. Pretty sure Destiny didn't go through one. Can we at least all recognize that this was a case of writers finding past precedent inconvenient and rewriting it purely to accomplish a specific goal?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                          "Wormholes near or passing through a solar flare shall cause time travel, except when the heroes need spare parts or the writers want to do a 2 Rush episode."

Canon puts time travel due to solar flares as happening in wormhole transit. Pretty sure Destiny didn't go through one. Can we at least all recognize that this was a case of writers finding past precedent inconvenient and rewriting it purely to accomplish a specific goal?
                          No. A solar flare can cause a wormhole to go back in time, but why assume only a wormhole?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            No. A solar flare can cause a wormhole to go back in time, but why assume only a wormhole?
                            Because 13 years of canon have established that time travel is the effect of the interaction between wormhole and solar flare. They have stuck to this general rule regarding solar flare and time travel, except when it neatly solves problems for the heroes. As a result of being inconsistent with prior precedent, they've given the ship the spare parts it so desperately needed, and they are now better off shuttle wise than they were at the start of the series. It's too convenient, and they used the lazy explanation of "unpredictable things happen inside a star" to get around the all too convenient inconsistency.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                              Because 13 years of canon have established that time travel is the effect of the interaction between wormhole and solar flare.
                              It's not like they had every other episode about solar flares and wormholes. And as far as I can remember, it's the first time they've established a connection while in a star! It's only logical that by doing new things we learn more about SGverse physics.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X