PDA

View Full Version : VOTE! How would you rate 'Gauntlet?'

GateWorld
March 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM
VOTE now and rate the second season finale of Stargate Universe, "Gauntlet!"

General Jumper One
May 9th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I totally love this episode! Excellent end to a series!

sgc
May 9th, 2011, 06:51 PM
For sure 10/10!

What better way to put the series in "stasis" until it continues? The Stargate vibe was definitely strongly present here :).

NOTE: this was written at 9:05 PM (contrary to what the clock says)

jsunski
May 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM
So many thoughts floating around... but amazing (hopefully temporary) end to Stargate.

Playtime20
May 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM
This episode was just amazing 10/10

Stargater276
May 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Though I doubt it. I think the series ending in stasis gives us a couple years to rally fans to bring it back. Just a far-fetched hope. :o

Excellent episode, if this really is the final Stargate episode forever I'm glad it was much better than Enemies at the Gate or Unending.

morrismike
May 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Is there an 11 option? This is the best work out of TPTW.

FoX-1028
May 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Amazing.

10/10

<snip>

Kvich
May 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM
great episode i hate how it ended just because i hate cliffhangers

s09119
May 9th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I never thought I'd say this about a modern episode of the franchise, but I'll say it.

Best episode of Stargate yet produced. That damn ending...

nx01a
May 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM
10/10 :'(

Cold Fuzz
May 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Gauntlet 10/10

<snip>

General Jumper One
May 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Amazing.

10/10

<snip>

I've also noticed a regular 5 vote

Spidey3121
May 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think they were prepared for this to be a potential season ender.

Best "finale" or any Stargate yet (so says I anyways).

Such a bittersweet ending though with the ships systems all shutting down...

O & i voted 10

Replicator Todd
May 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Was going to give a episode a 8 but the way the episode ended easily upgraded it to a 9. I will miss you SGU, SGA, and SG1.

Here it comes! The long Stargate hiatus begins now. :p

Cold Fuzz
May 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I think they were prepared for this to be a potential season ender.

Best "finale" or any Stargate yet (so says I anyways).

Such a bittersweet ending though with the ships systems all shutting down...

O & i voted 10

Despite the cancellation, Gauntlet had the kind of closure I really like, at least compared to Unending or Enemy at the Gate.

greenguywithlasereye
May 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Well, this vote goes to 11.

Kona
May 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
If I were allowed to vote in this Poll I would have given it a top rating........... And I agree......... I hope this lends itself to another Season (even if they say they cancelled it we all know TV Execs change their minds all the time).

Here's hoping to see Destiny on the Other Side and Eli still in very capable control. Having miraculously found a way to manufacture food and recirculate water so he can live. Everyone else in Statis will help him use what meager resources he's left with to the utmost of his ability.

And I agree, he is far more Brilliant than Dr Rush!

Sue_Jackson
May 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
10/10 for me! :D

I thought it was an excellent episode! :)

Dilithium
May 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I guess I’m still too new to vote but I give it a “10”. I’m glad they left the door open by putting everyone in stasis and didn’t kill people off or blow up Destiny. I’m still wondering about Eli though.

FrodoFraggins
May 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I gave it an 8/10. It really doesn't hold up to the shows top episodes and I think some people are giving it a ten since it's not a horrible cliffhanger. Not a bad way to end the series though.

carmencatalina
May 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I'm happily surprised - instead of feeling bitter and left out in the cold, I feel good. Good about the Destiny, good about her crew, good about the story, and good about the ending.

10/10 - I can't believe they pulled it off, but they actually gave Destiny a real ending. If this is her very last dance, it was lovely.

MattSilver 3k
May 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Full marks. This is a better ending than Unending and Enemy At The Gate combined - the sheer emotion I've felt for these characters has topped even ten years of SG-1 and five of SGA, because the feeling of the story being unfulfilled makes it all the more a knife in the gut. This was just brilliant, and I loved every second of it. So damn bittersweet.

jelgate
May 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I gave it a 9. A worthy end to the best or 2nd best Stargate series

segaxgames
May 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
i almost cried... it was so beautiful.

lets hope three years later it will return in some form or another....

until then, farewell Destiny.

Mibi
May 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Oh no it's over:( I'm so sad. I was one of the early compainers, but I stuck with the SGU crew, waited to be wowed and slowly over time I was. The series just got better and better. It was canceled too soon. Maybe SGU's "Destiny" is to return in three years. We can only hope.

This episode is a 10 all the way.

Vanek26
May 9th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Mallozzi acted like it was a horrible cliffhanger. Wasn't that bad.

I gave it a 10.

Also, maybe the show will be picked up in three years. :p

Nikec3
May 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
8/10

Not the best episode, but fantastic ending to the franshise.

imperio
May 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Stargate Universe has gone out with....a whimper....and The Stargate Series has gone out with...a Bang.....its the end of an era, for 17 years Stargate has graced Television, for 7 years its graced my computer and Tv. and now its gone and now im sad :(

senilegreen
May 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I gave it an 8/10. It really doesn't hold up to the shows top episodes and I think some people are giving it a ten since it's not a horrible cliffhanger. Not a bad way to end the series though.

Agree completely, including the "8".

I thought Epilogue was a better ending, but Gauntlet worked.

LordRush
May 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Full marks. This is a better ending than Unending and Enemy At The Gate combined - the sheer emotion I've felt for these characters has topped even ten years of SG-1 and five of SGA, because the feeling of the story being unfulfilled makes it all the more a knife in the gut. This was just brilliant, and I loved every second of it. So damn bittersweet.
I was just thinking the same thing about the other 2 shows endings of SGA and SG1. The ending of SGU was much more thoughtful, and felt it has come around full circle with the ship and Eli. Definitely connected on an emotional level with all the characters.

Rickington
May 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM
A solid 10/10. :D

I loved the ending... it felt poetic.

AF-Domains.net
May 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM
One word; Outstanding.

Chulo333
May 10th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I'm happily surprised - instead of feeling bitter and left out in the cold, I feel good. Good about the Destiny, good about her crew, good about the story, and good about the ending.

10/10 - I can't believe they pulled it off, but they actually gave Destiny a real ending. If this is her very last dance, it was lovely.

Well said. Amazing end to the series especially since they didn't know if it would continue. Beautiful episode- 10/10. I'll miss you sgu and the stargate franchise.

Pecisk
May 10th, 2011, 02:00 AM
One of best season closures (and here unwanted series closures) ever. Yeah, and I can't vote 11, so 10 feels just compromise for it. And yeah, I know that's probably dreaming but I kinda like idea "after 3 years". Maybe there's a chance that MGM turns around and at least gives us comics and books. There's time to think about it.

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I thought it was perfect. Even if it wasn't intended as a series ending, it certainly could play the part and offers some closure. I was worried when I started watching Gauntlet that it would be a cliffhanger like 'resurgence' or 'incursion part 2' where all our characters were threatened with doom and death and we would have to wait to find out what'd happen after the show returned. This episode is the preperation of a smart plan to get to another galaxy sometime in the future. I'm not even worried about Eli. Complete faith whatever happens to him.

The show couldn't have ended any better. I loved having a music montage again and the reuse of Air shots, but rewinded. These last 4 episodes are my favourite SG episodes of 17 seasons. How could you hate this? I guess you could be "meh, it was ok" , but how could you hate this? It was classic stargate, preparing a plan, evading bad guys and solving the problems that occur along the way.

10/10

Skydiver
May 10th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Taking people to task - or snarking about or commenting on - how others voted is and has always been off topic.

Those that always vote low are no different than those that always vote a 10... each of you are blindly trying to rig a poll....and I notice that the '10' voters outnumber the low voters by more than 10 to one.

so stop going on about it and just worry about yourself

tealcvala
May 10th, 2011, 04:22 AM
i really liked the episode and the way it ended with Eli looking out of the ship was lovely

Lahela
May 10th, 2011, 04:38 AM
10. Perfect.

So much more than a "And they all lived happily ever after".

Excuse me, I need to go cry some more.

Rylor
May 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Simply excellent. A perfect, if bittersweet series finale. 10/10.

Perelandra
May 10th, 2011, 06:14 AM
9. What a great ending-*sob*-with the Destiny flying off into the distance.
I'm going to miss this show:(

carmencatalina
May 10th, 2011, 07:12 AM
10. Perfect.

So much more than a "And they all lived happily ever after".

Excuse me, I need to go cry some more.

I know, it was very emotional!

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
76% 10's.. I can't remember having seen a poll look like that :)

carmencatalina
May 10th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'm sure some of our love of the episode is colored by the strong emotion we all feel at the ending of the series.

But it was a very good ending. The writers, actors, and crew gave us a gift, and I'm pretty grateful.

Rylor
May 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
76% 10's.. I can't remember having seen a poll look like that :)

Me neither :) Glad to see so many people enjoyed the final episode.

Sule
May 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I don't like cliffhangers but I have to admit this was a good one. Brilliant episode.

Lainier
May 10th, 2011, 01:17 PM
10/10. Awesome episode, and it fits well as the (forced) series finale. The show has just ended and I already miss it.

mxr387
May 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I thought this was an excellent episode showing the growth of the characters. I would definitely been drawn to the third season with this episode. It's really too bad the show ended. Certainly hoping it comes back. Now I'm left wondering what to watch on Scyfy? Best wishes to cast and crew.

TrueAncient
May 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM
the ending made me cry, 10/10

sgc
May 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I don't think that this is the end. There is never any end. However, the series is going dormant for now. This is said literally and figuratively. This episode, be it a season finale or a series finale, is a great one. Eli's comments especially made the episode better :).

Phenom
May 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Gave it a 6 this week. If it were continuing, I can't imagine that this finale would have drawn many in for the opening of Season 3. It was on OK ep and I am probably judging it to a higher standard than mid season eps, but I expected more from the finale.

erotavlas
May 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
10! Excellent episode and perfect cliffhanger.

Randy_Watson
May 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Loved this. So pissed that it's done.

garhkal
May 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I gave it a full 10.. though i still feel a lot went unanswered..

Krisz
May 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
10 out of 10!!!!

Perfect ending to a wonderful series and franchise; leaving the gate open of course. I couldn't help applauding as the Destiny's systems powered down in the reverse order they powered up in the first moments of SGU two years ago and then disappeared into the distance, to wait again for who knows how long to power up again. Awesome ending. :)

icsteffi
May 11th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Well, 10/10. I am so incredibly sad. But someone dear to me keeps reminding me that Doctor Who was cancelled in 1989. And 15 years later it was revived, and is going strong on it's 6th season since revival.

Stargate is too important to be forgotten.

A very beautiful ending. Whoever decided to leave it off on Eli...they are genius. Thank you Stargate.

mi_guard
May 11th, 2011, 02:18 AM
10 - just loved it

Egle01
May 11th, 2011, 03:45 AM
10 from me.

LtColCarter
May 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I gave it an 8...mainly because it was not a fitting series ending. To leave Eli alone in the ship with a broken stasis pod and the rest of the crew on ice. Just wish they closed up those loose threads.

Egle01
May 11th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I gave it an 8...mainly because it was not a fitting series ending. To leave Eli alone in the ship with a broken stasis pod and the rest of the crew on ice. Just wish they closed up those loose threads.In my opinion, under these circumstance it was the best ending we could've gotten.

LtColCarter
May 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
In my opinion, under these circumstance it was the best ending we could've gotten.

I disagree...but its all good.

blueray
May 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
finally got to see it.

wow that was definetly a perfert 10! i love the ending with eli standing on the deck. i also love the symbolism of how the show started with eli and ended with eli.

LtColCarter
May 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
finally got to see it.

wow that was definetly a perfert 10! i love the ending with eli standing on the deck. i also love the symbolism of how the show started with eli and ended with eli.

The symbolism wasn't intentional on the part of the writers as this wasn't supposed to be the series finale. It was just supposed to be the end of season 2.

carmencatalina
May 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
The symbolism wasn't intentional on the part of the writers as this wasn't supposed to be the series finale. It was just supposed to be the end of season 2.

Actually, according to JM's blog, it does sound like they did some stuff to make the episode work as a series finale "just in case", so I think maybe it was intentional. I'll try to find a quote.

Nope, sorry, it was actually from a Brad Wright interview:
"The episode's ending would have led into "a great opener for season three," Wright said. "But when we saw the Tuesday night ratings on Syfy, we knew it might be the end," he added, saying tonight's episode brings the series "full circle" and features elements that "make it feel like a finale."

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/09/stargate-universe-finale-interview-david-blue-brad-wright/

LtColCarter
May 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Actually, according to JM's blog, it does sound like they did some stuff to make the episode work as a series finale "just in case", so I think maybe it was intentional. I'll try to find a quote.

Nope, sorry, it was actually from a Brad Wright interview:
"The episode's ending would have led into "a great opener for season three," Wright said. "But when we saw the Tuesday night ratings on Syfy, we knew it might be the end," he added, saying tonight's episode brings the series "full circle" and features elements that "make it feel like a finale."

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/09/stargate-universe-finale-interview-david-blue-brad-wright/

Didn't feel too final to me...

Replicator Todd
May 11th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Well, it felt final to me. :p

kimmyg
May 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I've given it a couple of days since I watched Gauntlet so I would hopefully not cry while typing this. I did give this a 10/10 for many reasons, many of which others here have commented on as well.

Did they know it was over? BW stated they kind of felt it blowing in the wind so wanted something that could serve two-fold; a season finale and/or series finale. Even knowing that was in their minds when they wrote this episode, I don't think it detracts in the slightest from an emotional taxing examination of these characters that I've grown to love.

I'm glad there wasn't a easy solution to either the TJ or Park medical issues, and in reality no solution at the end. Part of what I admired about SGU was it's willingness to not take the easy ordinary path of television writing. Make the audience work for the show, make them invest in these people; love them or hate them but feel it deeply.

Again, we see Col Young working himself ragged, and since their talk in Trail & Error, Camille Wray working with Everett, concerned for his well being which is a marked contrast to their earlier Division (pun intended). Eli & Rush working together in a more mature manner. Rush giving Eli his due, learning that maybe he should allow Eli more responsibility especially after his dazzling work with the blue giant.

Touching glimpses of saying good-bye: Scott just observing his son, not interfering to confuse him, but you could see he truly loves him even without knowing him. Chloe's mom, still reeling after a year without both her husband & daughter. Clinging in desperation to Chloe all the while the bottle remains close at hand. Camille describing her phone call with Sharon, the only mature relationship not troubled prior to Destiny. Camille had to let her go, I think mainly more for Sharon's sake than her own. She clearly saw how the separation was wearing on Sharon (drinking). With no foreseeable way to return to Earth, as a soulmate, Camille knew it was best to make the break. But it hurt her deeply; listen to her voice quavering while talking with Scott.

Volker & Brody, buddies to the end. Lisa Park proving to herself & others that she's is not one to be pitied and can still be a useful & resourceful member of the crew. Greer sticking by his woman, unselfishly supporting her. What growth we've seen of this man since the door opened on him in the brig.

Young & Rush, suspicious and calculating, playing their chess match to the end. Their dynamic has grown from just hating each other to something akin to wary respect. As Young is fond of stating: "He's a lot of work". The dinner scene speech was brilliant. I loved Young's description of Rush, his inclusion of Camille as a sister and his realization that they are a family, his family and like a "Papa" he will do his utmost to protect them.

The ending as Destiny disappears into the deep reaches of space, lit by her FTL flight; epic. I applaud all who flew in her, made her real in our minds, and let us fly with her into the future wherever that ends or starts again.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 11th, 2011, 01:42 PM
10 - this was a beautiful *sob* ending - well done

the fifth man
May 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
This finale easily gets a 10. I am sad to see it end, but what a way to go. They did a great job with this one.

garhkal
May 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Young & Rush, suspicious and calculating, playing their chess match to the end. Their dynamic has grown from just hating each other to something akin to wary respect. As Young is fond of stating: "He's a lot of work". The dinner scene speech was brilliant. I loved Young's description of Rush, his inclusion of Camille as a sister and his realization that they are a family, his family and like a "Papa" he will do his utmost to protect them..

I wonder. if Louis Fererra was given the green light to "adlib" that part, rather than read off a script. What would he have said?

themyst
May 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I really liked how they handled the ending of SGU. When the stasis chambers were introduced a couple of episodes ago, I had suspected that was going to happen. So it was an end, but it could be a beginning if TPTB chooses.

Cairistiona
May 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
10, would give 11!

Everything was awesome, apart from that it's the last one. :S

LtColCarter
May 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM
10, would give 11!

Everything was awesome, apart from that it's the last one. :S

Just left too many strings dangling to earn a 10....

carmencatalina
May 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Just left too many strings dangling to earn a 10....

I agree that we are left wondering about many, many things. That didn't take away from my enjoyment of the episode, surprisingly enough. I thought I would be much more unhappy (and maybe that is part of my high rating - expectations of being left in the lurch!).

LtColCarter
May 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I agree that we are left wondering about many, many things. That didn't take away from my enjoyment of the episode, surprisingly enough. I thought I would be much more unhappy (and maybe that is part of my high rating - expectations of being left in the lurch!).

I enjoyed the episode...but rated it an 8 because of the issues left unresolved.

The Destiny
May 23rd, 2011, 03:07 AM

Didi it feel like a season finale for you though?

LtColCarter
May 23rd, 2011, 06:23 AM
Didi it feel like a season finale for you though?

Yes, I could see it being a season finale...but not a series finale. With series finales shows try to tie up loose ends. This "finale" just created more loose ends.

howwow
May 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I totally LOVE this episode. It really looked and felt, that it seemed to know, this was the last episode. It really did. A very very moving and touching exit. Thank you SGU. Will miss you.

jeri
May 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I too was relieved that the end was hopeful and not leaving them on the brink of death and destruction. Just so very sad that it is the end.

Tallifer
May 31st, 2011, 03:08 AM
Wow! That was undeniably fantastic. The best way to end/suspend a franchise ever.

I do not really need all the mysteries solved in a finale. Life never answers everything, why should fiction? Where do you say the end of the story is? But this truly felt like the end of a well-written novel. It points were made, its messages delivered, and we the audience are greatly enriched thereby.

10/10

MIZA
July 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Yeah I just finished watching it very sad ending I give it an 8 , because if they put a third season it would have explained a lot more