PDA

View Full Version : VOTE! How would you rate 'Blockade?'

GateWorld
March 13th, 2011, 01:41 PM
VOTE now and rate this week's episode of Stargate Universe, "Blockade."

SG-17
May 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
I really love the Novan mythos that is being left behind by this show and the mystery of the drones. 10.

General Jumper One
May 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
absolutely brilliant, VFX that rivals lots of big movies!

Airlock
May 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
really good episode. it was sad to see the preview for next week. the "final" episode.

Pharaoh Atem
May 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
6 big step down from
Epilogue

jelgate
May 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
An 8

LtColCarter
May 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
While it was a good, solid episode...it wasn't as good as last week's.

FoX-1028
May 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
10/10.
Wow the best part was when Young appeared shooting at the drone, so Badass :P :D

Spidey3121
May 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
<Reply to deleted OT snipped by Moderator.>

I myself voted 9 - very strong episode overall. A few scenes here and there need and extra 5/10 seconds of padding. Also i like the drones but it pisses me off that we'll probably never get around to figuring them out with only 1 episode left. I have more than few questions regarding them but myself, and others, are really left to speculate. Maybe our faithful show runners will let us in on some insights once the Gate closes for good but i won't hold my breath. Anyways, good episode.

Joachim
May 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Excellent episode; much better than the previous two. This is the first time I've felt happy about the novans - incidentally, when they weren't actually around. I think it would have been better if this is how we initially discovered them, on their abandoned homeworld.

The special effects surrounding the star were fantastic and it was a very interesting plan; it was good seeing a strengthening of the eli/rush dynamic, and the bits with Park were fantastic. I'm glad they chose her to stay along - I like her more than Volker and Brody. For once, I was actually very concerned that she would die.

I give it a 9/10.

Replicator Todd
May 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
I gave it a 8! Really enjoyed it more than last weeks.

s09119
May 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
I currently have 3 perfect episodes in a row. What an amazing show.

FrodoFraggins
May 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
9/10

I'm happy that they moved the drama towards our characters rather than their dopplegangers. As expected, this episode started out with ALL of the the evacuees already having been dropped off at their planet. The previous two parter really was just an exercise in overt shippyness.

Cold Fuzz
May 2nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Though I liked the high-octane action on this one, I did like Epilogue a wee bit more. Blockade though was still a very strong 9 or 9.5. :cool:

Nikec3
May 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Great! Maybe they were Canadians!

9/10

morrismike
May 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Every bit as good as last episode. The only thing that could have made it better would have been Parks cowboy'ing up and telling Eli to focus on the recharging effort.

sholva1
May 2nd, 2011, 08:33 PM

Paladine
May 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I wanted to give it a 9 since it had drones again, but the story was so brilliant I have to give it a 10. Best episode of the season thats for sure.

The writers had a stroke of genius for this one. Putting Park ( a female ) in that situation really sinched it. We haven't even had all that much tv time for her character and this one episode gave her a chance to show off her acting skills which are fantastic.

I was on the edge of my seat watching this one when the dome blew up. Just fantastic writing for this episode.

Vanek26
May 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
While it was a good, solid episode...it wasn't as good as last week's.

8 and that ^

Adrian_Jackson
May 2nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
For once, I was actually very concerned that she would die.

Me to, then before she got into the tank I went on Twitter and saw PG15 say "for a moment there I thought [blank] might [blank]" and I knew what he was talking about even with the [blank]'s. Then I knew she was going to live. Thanks PG15.

tomaso88
May 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
WOW JUST WOW such a great episode had the SGU feeling of episodes missed with a SG1 Feeling of episodes this combination was just complete awesomeness I give it a 9 and half :P

Skydiver
May 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
You will STOP all this 'omg, you didn't vote a ten, you're a troll' crap and stop it now!

It's nothing but cyber bullying and honestly, I'd be tempted to vote the show a 1 just to thumb my nose at you buncha bullies and meanies.

If there really are people that have nothing better to do than come into a poll thread for a show they say they're not watching any more and vote it down....well it's a pathetic waste of their time to be so petty....just like it's a pathetic waste of others time to come in and vote a 10 even if they don't think the show deserves it.

It's ALL childish and immature.

People can vote however they want. ANd they can vote free from ANY bullying.

Grow up and accept that other people have different opinions than yours.

THe next person, and this includes next week, that snarks off about other fans will get barred from the forum for a week. Yes, that means if you snark in the poll next week, you will not be allowed here to discuss the finale.

Grow up, get over it and stop behaving like children.

gaguhan.galore
May 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
magic backpack: -1 point
tissue-thin science justifications on a bunch of things that probably wouldn't stand under closer scrutiny (would go on this later): -2 points
cool vfx: +1 point
RECYCLED vfx (three guesses where): -1 point

7, meh

MattSilver 3k
May 3rd, 2011, 03:39 AM
Sky, I'm sorry, I get the sentiment, and then... well, I don't. So I kinda have to laugh. Mostly because of this:

It's nothing but cyber bullying and honestly, I'd be tempted to vote the show a 1 just to thumb my nose at you buncha bullies and meanies.

That's either a really childish response or sarcasm. I can't pick out which.

I haven't voted - mostly because I don't care for number votes, but eh - but to chip in, I'm not seeing bullying. No really. Different opinions, sure, and people snarking about other people's opinions, and that's no different than the other discussions... but really, applying the label "bully" to everything feels like projecting.

Solokiller
May 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
I'd rate it at least a 20/10, but the bar only goes so far.

The Destiny
May 3rd, 2011, 04:35 AM
I haven't voted - mostly because I don't care for number votes, but eh - but to chip in, I'm not seeing bullying. No really. Different opinions, sure, and people snarking about other people's opinions, and that's no different than the other discussions... but really, applying the label "bully" to everything feels like projecting.

Me neither. At least not in this weeks thread. For a moment I was wondering if Sky deleted all 'cyber bullying' from all posts so far, but he only did that to 1.

I'm currently rewatching and I'm leaning towards a 9. The visuals are great, obviously, just as always. I guess I'm a little upset we don't get more info on dropping off the people of Novus except for 1 line and I think of the term 'reset button'. I can live with it though.

They did a great job on the details. In the ┬┤common descent┬┤ discussion people questioned why the Novus people still spoke perfect english. If you wait long enough everything is adressed in the end. In the paper Morisson found you saw a basterdized version of English. The pronunciation would still be the same, but written in a different way: For example the paper was called "Terminus Tymes" and the headline was "ATAK!!" instead of "ATTACK!!". That's great attention to detail right there.

During the episode I was captivated by both the storylines. Neither really won out over the other, which often is the case in episodes, that I like one of the storylines far more. In "Hope" for example I liked the Kidney transplant storyline more than the other.

Above all I have to commend this episode for the tension it created. In spoilers I read one of the writers said something tragic would happen to a character. Obviously I suspected it would be Park, but at times I wondered if they'd maybe do something on the planet; a character bravely sacrificing him/herself to save others from a drone or something. Eventually it became pretty clear it would be Park but I became genuinly concerned wether she would make it or not. SGU has quite a trackrecord for killing secondaries now (Franklin, Riley, Ginn, Perry, Simeon) so their fate is never certain. I really did not know if she would live, or what the consequences would be. When she turned out to still be alive I though she was okay, and yet it turned out she was not. I just rewatched that scene. It gave me shivvers. Damn near gave me tears.

carmencatalina
May 3rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Varro with a rocket launcher? 10 out of 10!

Ok, maybe not just because of Varro with a rocket launcher, but I am a bit surprised at how much I really loved this episode. I liked it even more than last week's episode (which I gave a 9 out of 10).

Why, you ask?

I was so completely and totally wrapped up in both story lines (I won't call them the A and B plots, because I can't decide which would be A and which would be B), and I thought the stories just moved wonderfully along.

I'll admit that I really thought Park was going to die. And am so glad she hung on and made it!

There are so many good bits that I won't drive you all nuts repeating them, but anyway, I'm extremely happy with the 2nd to the last bit of SGU.

Perelandra
May 3rd, 2011, 06:29 AM
9, just for the going through the star part, alone(and I, too, thought we were going to lose Lisa, so glad we didn't) but the planet side part was great, too.
Varro and his rocket launcher, LOL!

Commander Zelix
May 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
A good episode but not as good as Epilogue, Trial and Error, Seizure,etc.

More depth and layers about who built the drones and their motivations, etc, would make it more interesting.

Trying to connect the drones storyline to the blue aliens, the ancients, the planet builders and/or the destiny's mission storyline to make it more layered and interesting would have been great.

7/10

LtColCarter
May 3rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
A good episode but not as good as Epilogue, Trial and Error, Seizure,etc.

More depth and layers about who built the drones and their motivations, etc, would make it more interesting.

Trying to connect the drones storyline to the blue aliens, the ancients, the planet builders and/or the destiny's mission storyline to make it more layered and interesting would have been great.

7/10

Very true. I'd like to know who built the drones...but IDK if we're gonna find out who built them since we only have one more episode.

wabbit42
May 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
This episode was simply amazing for me, and far better that I was expecting. And I was expecting a lot.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
it wasn't 10-worthy so i gave it a 9. i'm very interested in Gauntlet. imho, the other two series finales were disappointing compared to what went before them

carmencatalina
May 3rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
I'd be tempted to vote the show a 1 just to thumb my nose at you buncha bullies and meanies.

Followed by:

Grow up, get over it and stop behaving like children.

I can only assume you are trying to be ironic?

The Destiny
May 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Very true. I'd like to know who built the drones...but IDK if we're gonna find out who built them since we only have one more episode.

I think we'll be sticking with "some random alien race that died out".

LtColCarter
May 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
I think we'll be sticking with "some random alien race that died out".

I agree

Cairistiona
May 3rd, 2011, 10:53 AM
10 :)

knowles2
May 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I gave it a 8, mainly because I thought they handled the Novans poorly and far to cheaply for my liking.

If they handle that aspect better it would have gotten a 9 or a 10.

It a good episode for the FX but not perfect like last weeks and it sort of ruins the Novas plotline which sort seem to have come to a dead end. So this episode needed a other 5-10 minutes to smooth out the Novans storyline.

Commander Zelix
May 3rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I've rewatched the episode. I think I'll bump the episode up to an 8.

LtColCarter
May 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
I gave it a 8, mainly because I thought they handled the Novans poorly and far to cheaply for my liking.

If they handle that aspect better it would have gotten a 9 or a 10.

It a good episode for the FX but not perfect like last weeks and it sort of ruins the Novas plotline which sort seem to have come to a dead end. So this episode needed a other 5-10 minutes to smooth out the Novans storyline.

I don't recall seeing them handled at all.

chrono trigger
May 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Followed by:

I can only assume you are trying to be ironic?

i agree with sky that the reaction on here is very silly i mean just because a couple of people vote a 1 is not a big deal. these polls are only a bit of fun and shouldnt be taken so seriously, especially on a fansite where the results will always be dramatically positive anyway. also the more people react to these episodes getting a 1 the more likely people will do it again just to wind others up.

major davis
May 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Ok sorry to whine, but seriously, when I see two votes of 1 every single episode... It makes it seem like there are trolls.

I DONT by any means think those who don't rate it a 10 are trolls... or a 9 or and 8 or a 7 or a 6 or a 5 or a 4 or a 3 or a 2 or a 1 (if they really hate the episode)... but if they rate it 1 again and again and again... well... you get the point.

woolsey
May 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
a solid 9 from me, i loved the last scene on the planet when the huge drone apears

Lainier
May 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
8/10. Very good episode. Novus' plots are fun.

knowles2
May 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I don't recall seeing them handled at all.

You did not. There was a single sentence about them in a conversation between Rush and Eli.

General Jumper One
May 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Ok sorry to whine, but seriously, when I see two votes of 1 every single episode... It makes it seem like there are trolls.

Not only that but those two votes of 1 are there right when you are able to vote.

LordRush
May 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
I liked the episode, a change in music was good too.

Skydiver
May 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
I just said i'd be tempted...not that i would :)

Do I think its' silly to have people vote 1 just for sake of doing it? yes. I do. I think it's quite immature and childish.

That said, they got the right to vote how they want.

Has it occurred to any of you that one main reason for those folks to vote a 1 is just to watch the rest of you get your knickers in a knot over them voting? That they're doing it just to tweak you....and you predictably respond, every time.

THere's such a thing as 'don't feed the trolls'....and when y'all get all annoyed and snark at them you do just what they want done.

Ignore them. Their measly little 2 votes don't do diddly to skew the overall ranking of the episode.

I don't deny that folks like that are frustrating...but those of you that respond, you're just as much of the problem as they are.

geddarkstorm
May 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Skydiver, don't worry about it :3. Those votes are probably from scripts someone wrote, not even a real person going in and doing it, just an automated machine. It's a piece of cake to make such a script.

It really was a great episode. Held me on the edge of my seat the whole way through, which is rare for any show.

I do think they dropped a subtle hint about the origin of the drones. Remember Eli was saying the Novans spread out over centuries, and the different planets would develop technology differently based on resources, ideology, isolation and etc? Just a weeee bit of potential foreshadowing. Too bad this probably will not be explored, but maybe we'll get more hints, or even the reveal if we're lucky, next episode (since it was supposed to be a season finale, which are always meant to end with a serious shocker).

Krisz
May 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
The drones are probably the result of a bunch of the Brody followers who took 'get off my lawn' to the nth degree! Decided that technology was the root of all evil and created the drones to destroy it all,including the source, Destiny herself!!!

That could be the shocker for an ending, but then again I'm usually wrong and it'll be something completely unexpected, well I'm hoping.

What a ride it's been, I've spent the last two episodes getting sadder that the show was cancelled. What a mistake!

This episode showed once again why this show has taken Stargate in a great new direction. Every rewatch of this season will just drive it home again how well crafted this show was. All those wonderful characters, spectacular effects and music, Destiny in that blue star, many more things we'll never get to see.

I will give this episode the first 10 I have given in these polls. It had everything that made this show so brilliant, special effects, various acts of heroism, humour and camaraderie, even in the darkest moments. Every person is a hero on Destiny, there is hope for these people, if I'm left with anything after the last episode it is this. :)

erotavlas
May 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Solid 10! Just as good as last weeks episode, but in a different way. It kept me on the edge.

FrodoFraggins
May 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
There probably wouldn't be such an issue if the votes were public.

spaceship
May 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Very good episode. Especially smarter drones and the diving in to the blue sun bit. Oh and the captain kirk joke :D

kimmyg
May 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Okay, I gave Blockade an 8/10. I just feel the show was somewhat cut up. I know it's because it ran too long but 42 minutes of action is not enough when you have such a complex story arc going.

As usual, the acting and production values are superb. That visual of the command ship descending onto the planet had me white-knuckled on the edge of my seat. The reveal was intense and you could see the fear reflected on their faces. It's "let's get out of Dodge" time folks. The visuals inside the blue giant - Mark Savala and his group should be rolling with the Emmy's & Gemini's - absolutely amazing values for TV. Nobody does it better.

Rush pushing Eli to take charge of his own plan, to make those difficult, swiftly changing decisions led him to grow up just a bit more. Eli has been slowly stepping up to the plate throughout this season, putting his talents to good use. It's scared him as well (Twin Destinies and Trial & Error) to see the consequences of not fully anticipating unknown variables.

Park's blindness - I can't think that they would have her seeing again next episode. Not unless TJ or Volker can find something in the Ancient db to fix burnt corneas. Greer's pride in her when she volunteered to stay and the concern when they returned were wonderful to see. Shows their relationship is real not just sex. But I still feel sorry for Dale. He's stepped back from Lisa because of Greer but hasn't had time yet to reconcile his feelings. My heart hitched with him as Greer ran off with TJ. You could tell he really wanted to be there at her side but knew it wasn't his place yet.

The break comes after the teaser when Young announces they've left the Drones behind - okay we don't necessarily have to see that but it left me off kilter - when did he inform them - I shouldn't have to wonder about that while I'm watching the show. It pulls you away from the events on screen back to real world. I have enough of that I want to submerse myself into the story with them not be aware I only watching it. That's my only beef.

I'm going to really miss this show after next week.

the fifth man
May 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I give this episode a 9.

Lahela
May 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
8 from me. I loved it, really did, but a couple of little things jarred. Maybe SGU has just been so near perfect throughout its run that I just expect too much now.

rushy
May 5th, 2011, 05:40 AM
10 cos finding Novus-Pittsburgh so randomly was cool. The drones are starting to get annoying, though. They're far worse than the Blue Aliens(who stopped hunting Destiny for a reason we may never know). Really. The Blue Giant was so beautiful. I think Park's blindness is irrelevant. Actually, the whole character is irrelevant. People who I consider actually useful for an SGU-1 is:
Everett Young-Military side
Nicholas Rush-Science side
Eli Wallace-Science side
Tamara Johansen-Military/Medical side(why didn't SG-1 have a medical member in our reality?)
I think they should be the SGU-1 or sth.
People necessary, but not for SGU-1.
Ronald Greer
Jeremy Franklin(since he sat in the chair)
Ginn
Camile Wray(only when the situation needs negotiating)
David Telford
And of course Rodney McKay for constant humor.

rushy
May 5th, 2011, 05:40 AM
They can run the ship fine. Please join the Epilogue Roleplaying Idea.

icsteffi
May 6th, 2011, 04:19 AM
10/10 Brilliant episode in every way. So many quotable moments. From Greer's: "The DeathStar?" to Dale's "Botulism, yum!" All the humor in these last handful of episodes...wish this was around more in Season 1.

And if Lisa stays blind...I think that is a big deal. Brilliant writing, and makes for a more interesting character/situations in my fantasy season 3.

I really really loved this episode. Lt. James was brilliant. Dr. Park was brilliant. They were all brilliant. I watched it last night, and still am getting chills from thinking about it.

icsteffi
May 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
10/10.
Wow the best part was when Young appeared shooting at the drone, so Badass :P :D

I think it was much more bad-ass when Varro came out with his rocket launcher!! I love me some Varro :D

LordRush
May 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I think it was much more bad-ass when Varro came out with his rocket launcher!! I love me some Varro :D

James:'What are you doing?' Looking at Varro whos arming the rocket launcher.
Varro: 'The colonel asked me to keep these people safe, so thats what Im doing!'

Keeper - Custode
May 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Sorry, but I give only a 7. Because:
1)The drones seem (in the idea) prototypes of Cylons (Galactica) and various others similar artificial races.
2)We have seen other two type of Too Much Intelligent Destroying Machines: in SG1 (Replicators), in SGA (Asurans). It's somewhat a deja vu.
3)The pessimistic cut of the stories it isn't my genre of cut.
4)All the screen play of the last episodes it is supported by the good idea of the descendants of the Destiny; but this isn't enough for me.
5)A very good level of tension (above and below) and a little-little irony (Varro, obviously because he comes, IMO, from a SG1 setting) are certainly some of the favorable points.

As a whole 7 is my vote.

Ripley2012
June 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Best part: James takes an elbow to an out of control civilian.....a couple of more seasons and she could have made it to bad-a%% sci fi actress list......

cosmichobo
October 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I felt this episode had probably the best suspense and true sense of the unknown in terms of how it would end...

When I viewed the episode, I wasn't sure if the writers had forewarning RE the cancellation... As such, I just didn't know if they would kill of a/some main character/s... this lead to a very suspenseful episode, with the very real threat of anyone facing death...

Admittedly, if I had known the story was produced before the axing... I'd probably have been less excited... and certainly, first when Lisa was still alive... and then when it was stated that she would probably regain her sight... I actually took that to mean - no, they didn't know... and yes, they were actually playing it safe.

(As an aside... to draw a comparison with this and Lost... Lost happily killed regular main characters on occasion... but had a pool of other background characters to draw on. As SGU was similar in this regard, I think it could have stood to kill Chloe... :) )