Replicator Todd
April 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Very good episode! Gave it a 8!

SG-17
April 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Even better than Twin Destinies.

FoX-1028
April 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Absolutely a 10 because I cant give more!!! Best episode for me.. Space battle, use of the Stargate, classic feel of a Goauld death glider shooting at people... this ep was just perfect..
Really waiting for the next week episode!! :D

Airlock
April 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM
10. This episode contained everything that SGU has been lacking. Classic Stargate. Had so many aspects to it. We learned a lot of lore and story, got some character development, had some science, action, the story advanced and it never held back, humor was threaded really nicely -- some great subtle humor. I loved this episode. Even the haters have to like this episode. You know who you are. Come on... you liked it...

ultness
April 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
This was truly an epic sci-fi story. It is TRULY a pity that the franchise has to come to an abrupt end. 10/10 Great episode.

Airlock
April 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Even better than Twin Destinies.

I was gonna say best episode since Twin Destinies.

Replicator Todd
April 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I should of gave it a 9. :(

Airlock
April 18th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I should of gave it a 9. :(

We will acknowledge your 9. ;)

VampyreWraith
April 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Definitely 10. That was an awesome episode, maybe the best SGU episode yet :D

Airlock
April 18th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I don't issue 10s, but for SGU standards this one deserves it. Common Descent really set a new bar for SGU. If only a quarter of the episodes were of this caliber and contained such dynamic I'm convinced this show would have made it to season 3. If this was how SGU had started out -- or at least the model for many of the episodes then I'm also convinced cancellation wouldn't even be a discussion.

Kermee
April 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
10+!!!
Great, GREAT EPISODE!:jack_new_anime07:
I'm really gonna miss this show when it ends!:(

General Jumper One
April 18th, 2011, 07:28 PM
if I see a one, i'm going to die...

themeatcleaver
April 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
just WOW. SOLID 10!!! i cant believe i'm saying this but not only was this better than Twin Destinies, it's quite possibly one of the best SG episodes EVER. Fantastic episode!

morrismike
April 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
The episodes keep getting better and better.

General Jumper One
April 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM
...DIED :thoranime01:

Replicator Todd
April 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM
if I see a one, i'm going to die...

You might want to stay away from this thread forever if you want to live!

Remember: Haters gonna hate. Unfortunately. :(

s09119
April 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Two 1s, what a shock. The anti people just have no desire to be constructive.

themeatcleaver
April 18th, 2011, 07:50 PM

anti=atlantis? :)

blueray
April 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
that was a great episode! i'm giving it a 9 since it wasn't perfect but i loved it. it was great that they finally made contact with humans on another planet, of course they were related to them directly (which is really interesting).

FoX-1028
April 18th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Oh yea they dont even bother to watch the episode... and if they do they will never say its good. (Im not saying they are all SGA fans plz dont kill me)

s09119
April 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM

No, you can be pro-SGA and still be constructive. I've watched all three series.

Replicator Todd
April 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM

I love SGA way more than SGU. And I quite enjoyed this episode and SGU. So not all SGA fans. ;)

FrodoFraggins
April 18th, 2011, 08:08 PM
8/10

Strong performances but it struck me as being more of a retro-SG episode rather than SGU.

k1037
April 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM
No fan of Stargate (or the genre in general) could honestly give this episode (or Twin Destinies) a "1." A poor grade in general could be understandable and chalked up to a difference in taste, etc. But 1/10?

No one is going to take those 1 votes seriously - especially since they are never accompanied by an explanation. So what exactly is the point? What do these people think they are accomplishing? Ooooh, not a troll 1 vote - please, have mercy!

Airlock
April 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
No fan of Stargate (or the genre in general) could honestly give this episode (or Twin Destinies) a "1." A poor grade in general could be understandable and chalked up to a difference in taste, etc. But 1/10?

No one is going to take those 1 votes seriously - especially since they are never accompanied by an explanation. So what exactly is the point? What do these people think they are accomplishing? Ooooh, not a troll 1 vote - please, have mercy!

Troll votes. Voting 1s on every poll has become a kind of silly tradition among some jokers/spammers/haters of SGU. They are not sincere in any way.

darkthunder84
April 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I give it a 9. It would've been a perfect 10, if they wouldn't have destroyed part of the gate by such a "minor" explosion. We've seen worse things before without destroying the gate, and merely severing the connection. Case in point, SG-1's '48 hours'.

Unfortunately, the episode leaves us with alot of unanswered questions.

BadOnion
April 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM
This is one of the best episodes of SGU.

Airlock
April 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I give it a 9. It would've been a perfect 10, if they wouldn't have destroyed part of the gate by such a "minor" explosion. We've seen worse things before without destroying the gate, and merely severing the connection. Case in point, SG-1's '48 hours'.

To be fair, this is Part 1 of 2.

BadOnion
April 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
This storyline may well continue through the rest of the season.

darkthunder84
April 18th, 2011, 10:46 PM
To be fair, this is Part 1 of 2.

Like... for reals?

BadOnion
April 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Like... for reals?

Naw, another one of those "imagine your own endings". Next week all the extra people will be gone and they will never mention it again.

KEK
April 18th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Like... for reals?

Yep.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I don't give many 10/10s; the only episodes of SGU so far that I think deserve 10 are "Time", "Malice" and "Twin Destinies".

But I feel that "Common Descent" will be joining their ranks: it had a fantastic sci-fi story that was intelligent, mature and unpredictable; the character moments were priceless, especially with Brody, Volker, TJ, Young and Rush, and as always the acting was top-notch; the pacing was great, with an action scene at the beginning to set the tone and then some slower stuff before building to the brilliant evacuation scene; the production values were fantastic; and it took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions, like all good stories should.

The scene when the two shuttles swoop down to rescue them filled me with such elation. It is a crime that we only have three episodes left... :(

blazingfire
April 19th, 2011, 02:57 AM

And on the other hand, you have the people who give 10's to every episode out there. :)

But this episode was pretty good. Gave it an 8.

Egle01
April 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM
And on the other hand, you have the people who give 10's to every episode out there. :)I'd rather have people giving 10's because they like it so much than people who hate it with all their guts and give 1's. There's enough negativity around. Here, have a flower.

blazingfire
April 19th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I'd rather have people giving 10's because they like it so much than people who hate it with all their guts and give 1's. There's enough negativity around. Here, have a flower.

Thanks for the flower.
* takes flower and sets it down somewhere nice.

Pecisk
April 19th, 2011, 03:50 AM
9, just be because it's first part of two parter. Not shocking, but very interesting to see such kind of story to be revealed in all serialized glory with threads going in lot of episodes in the past, and having main lifeline with "Twin Destinies" and "Deliverance".

We need books to finish this amazing story, period.

traylormatt
April 19th, 2011, 04:07 AM
9 only because I believe better is still to come.

Commander Zelix
April 19th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I gave a 9 for the effort since it shows the potential of SGU with more off world missions. But I think the next episode may actually top it, but I will give it a 9 nevertheless (unless its incredibly great).

Common Descent is among my preferred episodes which include Time, Space, Trial and Error, Seizure.

It's really fun when the plot is about something else than the petty bickering on the ship. There was some sci-fi mystery and plot development.

General Jumper One
April 19th, 2011, 05:26 AM

1) these gates are prototypes
2) the gates are made with materials that the seed ships find
3) those drones weapons are designed to take out ships with hulls, hulls are thick to keep in atmosphere
4) etc.

icsteffi
April 19th, 2011, 05:41 AM
9. Only because the first half had me crying about the cancellation (I was so moved!) but then by the end, I wasn't as excited anymore, and can't really figure out why. There was nothing wrong with the episode at all.....but really perfect episodes keep my heart dancing through the last second! Maybe I was just pissed that Rush's will won out. Maybe he was right, but it seemed so heartless, and took down my spirits.

icsteffi
April 19th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Ha. posted and then voted after. Clicked the 10. Ended up that I just couldn't bring myself to stick to that "9". It WAS a freaking awesome episode.

Randy_Watson
April 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Loved it.

Spidey3121
April 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I originally went with an 8 but i'd have to see it again to make a more conclusive decision on how i feel. I mean i loved all the basic aspects of the story line and the concept of coming across a civilization founded by "us" nearly 2,000 years ago is rather interesting.

My main gripes were, as with "Twin Destinies", the science. I know we've seen time travel before and wormholes jumping from 1 gate to another but have we seen both? Also, when a wormhole jumps isn't it usually to a gate in close proximity = if we had connected to Earth wouldn't our people at least make it to our own galaxy. I mean i know these are rather nit-picky as our faithful show runners are always tweaking previously established facts w/o offering up to much of an explanation.

Another thing - if the Drone's can track us by use of the Stargate why have they only caught up to us now and how is it they were waiting for us when we dropped out of FTL?

I also felt the pacing of the episode was a bit too brisk/rushed but nothing that can really be done about that i suppose.

Overall a very strong episode to be certain and maybe with some repeat viewings i'll find the 10 that most people have awarded it but right now it falls just a bit short for me...

The Destiny
April 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I try to be reserved and not hand out 10's, but just this once I'll go for a 10. This one will go into my personal SG history as an all-time favourite. Great pacing too. 1 minute after the recap and we have a space battle, then we have all the amazing stuff with the Novus people ( I am a sucker for such stuff, founding civilisations, history etc. the kino "flashbacks" were incredible. ) and then we go to a space battle & planet attack and finish off with Novus in a volcanic winter, which gave me the chills. The entire ep captivated me and drew me in. I can't wait for "Epilogue", I have not the faintest idea what will happen next ep, which is great.

What annoys me in the voting is that people who give 10's at least post or give a small explanation whereas the 1's vote and don't bother to say anything, offer an explanation. In my view an ep has to be absolutely amazing for a 10, of a truly higher calibe than the average and I feel this episode was just that. For a 1 it would have to be so abismally bad that it would be cause to trash the television and cancel your SciFi channel. Episodes that are just "bad" are around the 4 or 5 and "pretty good" roughly 7.

Tanith0709
April 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
My main gripes were, as with "Twin Destinies", the science. I know we've seen time travel before and wormholes jumping from 1 gate to another but have we seen both? Also, when a wormhole jumps isn't it usually to a gate in close proximity = if we had connected to Earth wouldn't our people at least make it to our own galaxy. I mean i know these are rather nit-picky as our faithful show runners are always tweaking previously established facts w/o offering up to much of an explanation.

Ah but you seem to be forgetting such times such as the SG1 episode "1969".

In that instance the wormhole looped back on itself (They left from Earth and ended up on Earth in a different time period). So I would assume that in this instance the wormhole looped back on itself but since the Destiny wasn't in the same position 2000 years ago the wormhole jumped to a close Stargate in the proximity (Think Rush said something similar).

The Destiny
April 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Indeed, they said something to that effect in the episode:

"wormhole travels back in time and loops back to itself, but destiny wasn't around back then so it jumped to a gate in proximity"

carmencatalina
April 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I thought it was a good episode, I'll give it an 8 out of 10. There was an interesting story there, and just the idea of our alternative Destiny crew managing to start not just a settlement, but one that grew, over 2000 years, to a civilization, was mind-boggling in a good science fiction way.

I did spend a good chunk of time thinking about the relative genetic bottleneck the civilization went through, starting from only 70-80 people, but humans have gone through more severe bottlenecks than that and managed to have healthy populations. Also, the Destiny crew is made up of (as far as I can tell) only unrelated people, so they start with a nice bit of genetic diversity.

Never let a population geneticist watch science fiction with you - we get a bit dull.

kimmyg
April 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
It's a 10 for sure! WOW! is what I kept saying after it was over. I was on the edge of my seat the entire episode. Rob Cooper did a brilliant job with this one. Can't wait to see Epilogue.

The Destiny
April 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Another 1. I'm not being a fanboy here going "0mgz YouR a Hat0r!!!", because if the people who voted 1's left a response I wouldn't mind. Just pressing 1 and not responding however does give a "I wanna rate 1, just because I hate it" vibe.

carmencatalina
April 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I would actually love to have someone explain why this episode, in particular, deserves a lowest rating. Assuming that the voter also gives other ratings (2, 3, 4, etc.) to other episodes, why a 1 for this particular episode? Was it the whole time-travel aspect? Did some of the science not ring true?

Phenom
April 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I really liked this ep and gave it an 8.

Would have been a 9 but the distinct lack of blondes amongst the new group knocked it down a mark, and since I prefer blondes over brunettes.....

the fifth man
April 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I would definitely give this episode a 10. It was simply amazing, and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

erotavlas
April 19th, 2011, 07:55 PM
10!!!

One of my favorite episodes, makes me even more mad they are cancelling it.

Krisz
April 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I sat in the Vancouver convention hall watching Brad Wright saying that this was it with SGU and the franchise for the forseeable future. Then I watch this episode and it just made me sad over again. All I can think of is what we could have had after seeing this episode. The idea of a civilisation of Destiny's descendants being out there is fantastic and makes me wonder how many more times they ended up with time travelling slingshots around the sun and for all we know the Ancients were them!

This is what I'll miss with Stargate, getting the brain cell all tangled up thinking about possibilities, this is why I'm sad SGU has ended.

This had all the elements that makes Stargate for me, I loved watching Destiny gracefully turning in space to avoid the drones and fighting back. Time travel element, seeing in a snapshot how the crew of the Destiny fared and the civilisation they created. And yes, the Stargate village made an appearance!!! Although this time it wasn't a set, it's actually Fort Langley, a recreation of the first trading settlement in BC, so I thought that was an apt choice for the location of the new colony for the Destiny's settlers!

This episode is up there as a 9 for me this week, entertaining and thought provoking Stargate at its best! :)

Vanek26
April 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I don't understand how pathetic people are to come on and vote 1 every week.

In any case, I went with a 9. Great episode, if next week is great this might get bumped to a 10 in my book. Depends how they finish it.

thekillman
April 20th, 2011, 12:24 AM
i'm going with a 9.

i still need a 10 for Gauntlet

Lainier
April 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
10/10. Great episode. I can't wait for the next!!

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
would have been a ten, but I think this is a tw0-parter so it has that unfinished feel, not that there's anything wrong with that :)

jelgate
April 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
would have been a ten, but I think this is a tw0-parter so it has that unfinished feel, not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Would change your mind after seeing the finished product?

Spidey3121
April 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ah but you seem to be forgetting such times such as the SG1 episode "1969".

In that instance the wormhole looped back on itself (They left from Earth and ended up on Earth in a different time period). So I would assume that in this instance the wormhole looped back on itself but since the Destiny wasn't in the same position 2000 years ago the wormhole jumped to a close Stargate in the proximity (Think Rush said something similar).

I wasn't forgetting any such instance - just didn't quite realize that the Destiny wouldn't be there when the wormhole looped back some 2,000 years in the past. Of course in that episode they didn't rematerialize through the actual Stargate, but rather where the Stargate was in their own time. That's probably a discussion for another thread though and 1 that's been had countless of times over again :-p It should be noted i was similarly peeved the first time a wormhole sent someone back in time without looping the wormhole back on itself (Atlantis's "Last Man" i believe?). I've since recovered however so all is well ;-)

Puddle-Jumper
April 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
9.. it was a brilliant episode but a 10.. Im not so sure.

I did love the classic stargate feel to it though

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Classic Stargate, good story excellent CG and character moments.

It gets a 9 because the story is unfinished and i hate shows that leave you hanging on the edge of your seat begging it not to end there.

N.C

Petra
April 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hmm, this is the first time this season when I just don't know how to vote! Me thinks I need to rewatch it before voting. :D The thing is, there was a ton of absolutely cool stuff that I loved (did anyone else see Greer/Wray hug?!) but at the same time something felt off to me and I can't put my finger on what it is. And I haven't made up my mind about the whole "descendants" storyline.

Yep, a rewatch it is.

Gatefan1976
April 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Another 1. I'm not being a fanboy here going "0mgz YouR a Hat0r!!!", because if the people who voted 1's left a response I wouldn't mind. Just pressing 1 and not responding however does give a "I wanna rate 1, just because I hate it" vibe.

If you look at the ratings it's been given, there are far more votes than there are comments, and it happens every week, so I don't know why anyone is suprised. I have never voted on the polls I don't think, and this week I have to wait another week because there is currently a Buffy marathon on scifi for Easter. This ep I might just bother to vote on and explain why.

The Destiny
April 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Voting a 1 is far more negative than a 10 is positive though. In polls like this 10's are handed out far quiker than 8's or 9's so the fact people vote a 10 doesn't really suprise anyone.

Keeper - Custode
April 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Idea: very good!
Realization: good
But the problem is: only misfortune, destructions, problems, no-solutions...
We also have problems, misfortunes, destructions, no-solutions nowadays; a science fiction only negative and pessimistic, without almost any kind of irony isn't my type of show, it holds me in the real world, and the real world is just enough to me.
Moreover I'm a Tolkienian, and I like his conception about the stories of fantasy (in general sense): the need of the eucatastrophe. Here in SGU very few of that kind.
In my opinion this is the problem with SGU...

Krisz
April 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Voting a 1 is far more negative than a 10 is positive though. In polls like this 10's are handed out far quiker than 8's or 9's so the fact people vote a 10 doesn't really suprise anyone.

Interesting point. As a first response I wanted to give 'The Hunt' a 1, as I found myself feeling bored in parts, seen it done it, trees again *yawn*! However, on thinking about it, there were a few saving graces and it got a 5 since I couldn't condemn it completely. For the same reason I haven't given a 10 yet for episodes that have had me totally riveted, but didn't have all the elements where I could say, wow, perfect, even though it was my initial response!

LoneStar1836
April 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
8/10

After seeing the follow up to this ep, I'll give this ep one more point better than its conclusion. The story is interesting, but I didn't think the ep was worth more than an 8 in execution.

rushy
May 2nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Nr. 1 I thought a nuclear explosion wasn't able to damage the Stargate, much less fighter weapon fire. Must be the age of the Gate. Otherwise, AWESOME!!! 7.

Keeper
May 2nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
actually, nukes have been used on gates in the past - the original film that was the mission (though not carried out according to orders) and at least one other nuke was used at a gate when the ori were trying to gain a foothold. i get the feeling i'm missing one or two others somewhere, however: earth has specifically developed naquadah-enhanced warheads as 'gatebusters.'

General Jumper One
May 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
actually, nukes have been used on gates in the past - the original film that was the mission (though not carried out according to orders) and at least one other nuke was used at a gate when the ori were trying to gain a foothold. i get the feeling i'm missing one or two others somewhere, however: earth has specifically developed naquadah-enhanced warheads as 'gatebusters.'

the gate that a "gatebuster" was used was protected by the ori so no harm came to it then they used the energy produced by the warhead to feed their planet busting shield.

Keeper
May 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
the gate that a "gatebuster" was used was protected by the ori so no harm came to it then they used the energy produced by the warhead to feed their planet busting shield.

well aye, but the point i was making is that we've been shown at least one purpose-built nuclear weapon for gatebusting :p :D

myhelix
June 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
In every episode rating thread their always three 1 votes, who are that morons? Sorry to use that, everyone has their own opinion, but those seems like the typical SGU hater votes!