Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Before I Sleep" question (spoiler inside)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Before I Sleep" question (spoiler inside)

This may have been asked or addressed before.. if so, I apologize in advance.

So I'm surfing the forums and see one of the banner pics that had Ayiana in it (eating with a bewildered look on her face). Then it hit me: her bewildered look was because she couldn't understand Daniel yet. She didn't speak English.

Why then, in "Before I Sleep," can Weir understand and communicate with the Ancients. They speak perfect English. :|

Or was this a detail we, as fans, were supposed to overlook in the sake of entertainment?

I'm assuming the city translates as thors ship did for jack to communicate in new order part 1

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJ
      I'm assuming the city translates as thors ship did for jack to communicate in new order part 1
      the city might be able to learn english quick, even the ancients, but janus started talking in english to her right away, before she even said anything. impressive considering the english language wouldnt be developed for about another 9000 years! serious plot hole here.

Comment

Weir knows the ancient language -- she is a linguist. So that's why, I would imagine.

Comment

Ancient is closest to Latin.. but I don't think thats the reason..

This has been addressed in 38247327843252 threads.. It's a TV Show!

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
            Weir knows the ancient language -- she is a linguist. So that's why, I would imagine.
            she became fluent in it in the few weeks that she was in charge of the outpost? daniel is the only one that actually speaks ancient. other people can read it but daniel is the only one that speaks it

Comment

Originally posted by Brandie
              This may have been asked or addressed before.. if so, I apologize in advance.

So I'm surfing the forums and see one of the banner pics that had Ayiana in it (eating with a bewildered look on her face). Then it hit me: her bewildered look was because she couldn't understand Daniel yet. She didn't speak English.

Why then, in "Before I Sleep," can Weir understand and communicate with the Ancients. They speak perfect English. :|

Or was this a detail we, as fans, were supposed to overlook in the sake of entertainment?
              well if you want to get technical how come every1 in the pegasus galaxy including the wraith speak english......... but then again im forgetting the universal translators in atlantis that every team takes with them when they leave the base.....

Comment

This issue has been discussed extensively in this thread:
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2877

It made for quite an interesting discussion.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                X