Wraithfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraithfall

Have anyone here read the Stargate Atlantis comic series? It is called Wraithfall and it was a four issue series produced a few years ago. I am not going to spoil anything about the story in it but I think the series was fun and also well drawn. One thing I did not like however is that wraith is presented as evil and malicious who like torturing people just for the fun of it. One of the things which is so nice about wraiths is that they are dangerous, they are monsters but they are not evil, they just do what they have to to survive, the ones in the comics however acts like if they got a bump on the head, forgot who they where, looked at their hair styles and concluded they had to be drow so it was time to get their evil on and that can be a bit annoying.

I am wondering however, do this comic series exist in a single volume also? I have the individual comics but it would be nice to have it in a single volume visual novel style binding as well.

Originally posted by Hagazussa View Post
    Have anyone here read the Stargate Atlantis comic series? It is called Wraithfall and it was a four issue series produced a few years ago. I am not going to spoil anything about the story in it but I think the series was fun and also well drawn. One thing I did not like however is that wraith is presented as evil and malicious who like torturing people just for the fun of it. One of the things which is so nice about wraiths is that they are dangerous, they are monsters but they are not evil, they just do what they have to to survive, the ones in the comics however acts like if they got a bump on the head, forgot who they where, looked at their hair styles and concluded they had to be drow so it was time to get their evil on and that can be a bit annoying.

I am wondering however, do this comic series exist in a single volume also? I have the individual comics but it would be nice to have it in a single volume visual novel style binding as well.
    I have the individual comics too. Mine came in 3 separate comic books.

Drow-like is a good way to describe how most of the Wraith are drawn, especially in the first comic, and act. It was like the artist was getting the feel for drawing the Wraith. Some of the Wraith drawings are modeled after screen caps of the show. The Wraith drawings got more accurate as the story went on.

The Wraith in this story are two-dimensional, comic book bad guys, more interested in Tau'ri style Spanish Inquisition tactics than doing what they had to do to survive. With rampant food shortages, the other Wraith would not be happy with the wastefulness of the group of Wraith in this story.

For the whumpers out there, there is a lot of Sheppard whumping in this story, both physical and emotional.

Comment

Well wraith do have many similarities to drow, both in appearance and in how their societies are based, however the big difference is that drow is directly evil while wraith is not. I agree that other wraith would not be pleased at the group in the comic's waste of food.

I also have the individual comics in different versions with different covers and the like. They should make more Stargate Atlantis comics and get the wraith right.

Comment

Well wraith do have many similarities to drow, both in appearance and in how their societies are based, however the big difference is that drow is directly evil while wraith is not. I agree that other wraith would not be pleased at the group in the comic's waste of food.

I also have the individual comics in different versions with different covers and the like. They should make more Stargate Atlantis comics and get the wraith right.
        More comics with accurate Wraith stories would be welcomed, especially with Todd.

The cover with The Defiant One is a well-done painting, but makes no sense because he isn't in the comics.

Comment

Who published this comics? Any infos will be welcome. Never heard about this series before.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
          Sig & Avi by Josi
          sigpic
          LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
          I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
            Who published this comics? Any infos will be welcome. Never heard about this series before.
            http://www.avatarpress.com/stargate/

4 or 5 sample drawings are on the artist's deviantArt page:
            http://m-sweeney.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dqcvvh

There is a preview comic and also the regular comic book parts 1, 2, and 3.
            http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_Press

Comment

Basically they paid MGM and were allowed to use the stargate franchise. the writers have no say in it and despite what they say MGM does not "approve" each one.

Thusly it is not canon and therefore pays no mention in a sane persons mind.

Comment

The cover with The Defiant One is a well-done painting, but makes no sense because he isn't in the comics.
                He was there in spirit. After all the Defiant One can spend 10 000 years isolated on a far away planet but still manages to speak perfect English. Nothing is impossible for super wraith.

But yes it was a very nice cover.

The comics might not be cannon, but it is still a Stargate product, and it would have been nice to see them give the wraith proper treatment, far to many treat any villain as just evil, evil, evil instead of appreciating villains who have more dimensions than that.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                  Basically they paid MGM and were allowed to use the stargate franchise. the writers have no say in it and despite what they say MGM does not "approve" each one.

Oh, I know. Everything a special person said it's not canon isn't canon and no one should spend a single look at it *shakes head in disbelief*.
                  Canon or not, it's awesome art. And I think MGM should take the decision about what SG-canon is and what not. When Avatarpress spend money to use the franchise they may not be canon but they are something for interest. And I think this counts also for the novels and the audio-books.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                  Sig & Avi by Josi
                  sigpic
                  LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                  I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

I agree that they should make up their minds as to what is canon, and perhaps make some guidelines so that future comics, audio books and novels can actually be canon. That is a problem with the novels actually that some of them have glaring mistakes when it comes to how the Stargate universe works, gates go every which way, in one book for example. If they made some guidelines then books and comics could expand the Stargate universe just as the Star Wars books and games do for that setting.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      Many Wiki writers consider the printed material as quasi-canon that should still be documented. With MGM in financial trouble, there is even more interest in Stargate- related products. These documentations help to find and keep track of those products.

He was there in spirit. After all the Defiant One can spend 10 000 years isolated on a far away planet but still manages to speak perfect English. Nothing is impossible for super wraith.
                      You said you have all 4 comics. What all is in the preview issue? Is any of the material different from the 3 storyline comics?

Comment

I agree that they should make up their minds as to what is canon, and perhaps make some guidelines so that future comics, audio books and novels can actually be canon. That is a problem with the novels actually that some of them have glaring mistakes when it comes to how the Stargate universe works, gates go every which way, in one book for example. If they made some guidelines then books and comics could expand the Stargate universe just as the Star Wars books and games do for that setting.
                        Even the television series has minor omissions and contradictions. With more than one writer and scripts that are written over the span of years, it is inevitable. Still, the SG universe is a rich and enjoyable one.

Comment

dA page is not active.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bajka20 View Post
                            dA page is not active.
                            The whole account was deactivated. That is no fun.

Comment

Originally posted by orbofnight View Post
                              The whole account was deactivated. That is no fun.
                              Too bad.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X