Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTL vs HYderdrive

I do not know the differnce between the FTL drive and a Hyperdrive

It sounds like Hyperdirve is better. but im not sure.

welp, here's the nuts and bolts of it:

FTL: Faster than light travel. It's in our own space time, just ridiculously fast travel. Destiny and the Galactica use FTL technology.

Hyperdrive: Ridiculously fast travel but through section of subspace(almost like a wormhole) rather than in our own space-time. Daedalus, Odyssey, all Asgard, and most Goa'uld vessels use this technology for faster than light travel.

The easiest way to tell which type is being used, especially in Stargate, is if there is a hyperspace window opened when they begin travel.

As an example, when the Daedalus jumps into hyperspace in SGA there is a green blob that forms in front of it that the ship flies into and disappears. This is the hyperdrive being used.

Destiny, on the other hand, does no such thing. When it's FTL is engaged the ship just starts flying ridiculously fast. Destiny's FTL graphics are actually beams of light washing over the hull. Also, if you look into the background you can see stars moving by in the distance very slowly.

Realistically, Hyperdrive should usually be the faster of the two. There are no obstacles in the way to avoid such as planets and meteors, etc. Destiny's computer has to detect and plot a course around such things where as Daedalus does not have to do such a thing. Hyperdrive is generally much more advanced and can be pushed further with more power, such as if you engage a ZPM with it.

Destiny may be the exception to the rule of Hyperdrive being faster however, since it uses something like 16 FTL drives working in sync to achieve the speeds that it does.

Enjoy!

Comment

I've always considered the FTL that Destiny uses to essentially be the same as the Warp technology in Star Trek or the more realistically conceived Alcubierre Drive, where an energy field surrounds the object, compressing space-time in front of the vessel and expanding it behind it. This propels it more quickly through the compressed space-time.

The seems to be a more basic form of the technology, since it was used in earlier craft than the Alterans used later in their existence. Since it modifies existing space-time, rather than opening a gateway to another level of reality, as Stargate's hyperspace technology does.
      sigpic

Comment

DO we know which the altera used when they left the ori home galaxy?? FTL or hyperdrives?

Comment

I do not believe that we KNOW what technology they used. Only that they came upon the MW after some time. This could be to say they knew where the MW was and it just took time to get here, or it could mean that they explored other galaxies before eventually finding MW and keeping it as their home galaxy.

Perhaps the sensors for detecting planets, other gates that have been built on Destiny's course or any other things it may wish to factor in, coupld possibly not work in Hyperdrive? Similar to how ships can't be tracked in hyperdrive? So by using FTL they are able to detect what they need to on Destiny's mission???

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
            welp, here's the nuts and bolts of it:

FTL: Faster than light travel. It's in our own space time, just ridiculously fast travel. Destiny and the Galactica use FTL technology.

Hyperdrive: Ridiculously fast travel but through section of subspace(almost like a wormhole) rather than in our own space-time. Daedalus, Odyssey, all Asgard, and most Goa'uld vessels use this technology for faster than light travel.

The easiest way to tell which type is being used, especially in Stargate, is if there is a hyperspace window opened when they begin travel.

As an example, when the Daedalus jumps into hyperspace in SGA there is a green blob that forms in front of it that the ship flies into and disappears. This is the hyperdrive being used.

Destiny, on the other hand, does no such thing. When it's FTL is engaged the ship just starts flying ridiculously fast. Destiny's FTL graphics are actually beams of light washing over the hull. Also, if you look into the background you can see stars moving by in the distance very slowly.

Realistically, Hyperdrive should usually be the faster of the two. There are no obstacles in the way to avoid such as planets and meteors, etc. Destiny's computer has to detect and plot a course around such things where as Daedalus does not have to do such a thing. Hyperdrive is generally much more advanced and can be pushed further with more power, such as if you engage a ZPM with it.

Destiny may be the exception to the rule of Hyperdrive being faster however, since it uses something like 16 FTL drives working in sync to achieve the speeds that it does.

Enjoy!
            Almost. The computer does have to calculate enter/exit points. You wouldn't want to come out of hyperspace in the middle of a planet.

On a related note: Hyperdrives, being outside of our space-time, allow for entire ships to pass through objects such as the planet in SGA. Destiny couldn't do that because she travels in FTL, which is in our space-time, and would have smashed into the planet.
            sigpic
            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

ok i get it now btw i think the ancients used FTL to get to the MW from Ori

Comment

I feel it necessary to point out that Gou'uld ships take decades to travel between galaxies (re "Enemies") and that at least some Wraith War-era Ancient warships were equipped with similarly slow hyperdrives (re: Aurora).

Destiny, on the other hand, was able to travel between two galaxies in roughly a month or two.

We have no idea how the speed of a ship correlates to the number of FTL drives that it has.

For all we know, ships of a certain size need a certain number of FTL drives in order to enter FTL, and any number above that is just extra.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  I feel it necessary to point out that Gou'uld ships take decades to travel between galaxies (re "Enemies") and that at least some Wraith War-era Ancient warships were equipped with similarly slow hyperdrives (re: Aurora).
                  In "Enemies" they were blown several galaxies away not just one so, yes it would take them a long time, the Aurora's hyperdrive was damaged so they modified their ship to go as close to the speed of light running on normal engines as they could.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                    In "Enemies" they were blown several galaxies away not just one so, yes it would take them a long time
                    A galaxy is not a unit of distance. The galaxy in "Enemies" was roughly 4 million light-years away, and it would take over 120 years to get back to the Milky Way (both of these facts were stated at the end of "Exodus"). That is, on average, 30 years to travel 1 million light-years.

In "Sabotage," a range boost of 5% was able to overcome a 50 thousand light-year shortfall. This puts the distance at 1 million light-years or more.

In other words, Destiny was able travel in a few months a distance that would take a Goa'uld mothership at least 30 years.

the Aurora's hyperdrive was damaged so they modified their ship to go as close to the speed of light running on normal engines as they could.
                    You are thinking of the Tria from "The Return," not the Aurora from "Aurora."
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

You are thinking of the Tria from "The Return," not the Aurora from "Aurora."
                      Aren't they both the same class of ship?

Comment

Aren't they both the same class of ship?
                        Yes, but the Tria was the only one that was being modified to travel quickly without its hyperdrive. The Aurora's crew thought that their hyperdrive was working just fine, but it was - as I have said - a slow hyperdrive and thus needed to be upgraded if their were to get anywhere quickly.

From "Aurora":
                        He's trying to modify the hyperdrives in order to get back to Atlantis faster...
                        The Aurora is a fine ship, but she was never built for speed. Without the drive modifications, it'll take months to return to Atlantis. If we are to use this new intelligence to our advantage, we need to reach the city within days.
                        Well, according to the Atlantis database, there are two different types of Ancient hyperdrive: there's the more basic interstellar kind, like the one the Aurora has; and then there's the more powerful intergalactic kind, similar to the one the Asgard provided us for the Daedalus.

Comment

Destiny, on the other hand, was able to travel between two galaxies in roughly a month or two.
                          The feeling I'm getting from this is you're thinking the Destiny should be slower than the Gou'ld ships. If I'm wrong, ignore this post.
                          But then you quoted this:
                          Well, according to the Atlantis database, there are two different types of Ancient hyperdrive: there's the more basic interstellar kind, like the one the Aurora has; and then there's the more powerful intergalactic kind, similar to the one the Asgard provided us for the Daedalus.
                          I'm pretty sure the Destiny's FTL drive is just a precursor of the Intergalactic drive. It could even be the intergalactic drive for all we know.
                          sigpic
                          ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                            The feeling I'm getting from this is you're thinking the Destiny should be slower than the Gou'ld ships.
                            Actually, I'm arguing against the idea that Destiny's FTL is less advanced than hyperdrives: Goa'uld hyperdrives, and even some later Ancient hyperdrives, are slower than Destiny's system of FTL.

Of course, I might be falling prey to the bias that a more advanced drive should be faster - although, if it isn't faster, than I have to ask how it is more advanced.

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the Destiny's FTL drive is just a precursor of the Intergalactic drive.
                            That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Comment

I think the best way to compare the two is to look at Destiny's FTL drive as the ABSOLUTE best Diesel car that we could make today compared to the PURE electric cars that are on the market.

The diesel car has been used continuously for longer and so we have almost perfected what we can achieve from it, whereas, the pure electric cars cannot match the speed or operational range of the diesel (both running on 1 tank of diesel and 1 full charge of electricity)

Ancients had most likely been using FTL (guesstimate) for a long enough time for them to be able to build Destiny with the speed and efficiency she has over long distances, where as the Goa'uld BASICALLY understood hyperdrive technology hence their slow speed.

Its kind of like comparing old but perfected technology to a brand new discovery which COULD be better than the old but it will take time to get there.

N.C

Comment

Working...
                              X