Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Wars video games would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Star Wars video games would you like to see?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been....not especially impressed with Lucasarts since about 1999. Yes, they've absolutely put out (both developing and publishing) some solid titles in that span. But before the prequel era, Lucasarts was an absolute powerhouse of a company with very, very few bad titles to their name.

So in light of that, what sorts of titles would you love to see come out of Lucasarts in the future? (Whether as developer or publisher, doesn't matter)

For me:

Knights of the Old Republic III
    I know it was cancelled in favour of The Old Republic. And I'm thrilled to bits about TOR, I'm absolutely itching to play it. But I still really wish for a KOTOR3. The first game was a masterpiece! The second was a rough, buggy mess, but made infinitely better (and into a very solid game) by mods like the Restored Content Mod. How thrilling would it be to see another KOTOR game?

TIE Fighter
    Certainly one of the most popular SW/flight games ever. I'd be happy if they simply made in Win7 compatible and sold it on Steam. But I'd be absolutely over the moon if they made a whole new, modern engine TIE Fighter game.

Jedi Knight III
    Loved Dark Forces, loved Jedi Knight, loved Jedi Outcast. Academy....not so much. It was a solid game, and technically improved on JO in pretty much every way, but there was something about it was just a bit disappointing. I put it up to that Kyle Katarn was not the central character/player character. Whatever the reason, LA/Raven didn't feel the need to title it JK3. And dangit, I want a new Jedi Knight game! Game engines have come a long way in the 8 years since Academy was released. How about a new one?

The Force Unleashed III
    Probably happening anyway, but I thought I'd throw in the one thing I want from it more than anything else: a story that isn't over in 5 hours. Both TFU games have been fun, but both were also so frustratingly short that I wanted to frisbee the discs out the window when I finished each of them. As it stands now, the length of the first two combined still adds up to shorter than I like my games to be, but it would at least have been a respectable length. I want TFU3 to be at least that long.

A Clone Wars era FPS
    Like Republic Commando, but not awful. RC absolutely had some great ideas, but it was buggy, sloppy, a technical disaster, and (IMO) a very frustrating game to play. I'm looking for a solidly built game, not dumbed down for console compatibility, to fight through the Clone Wars on as many exciting worlds as possible.

An Imperial era FPS
    Exactly like what I just described above, but playing as a Stormtrooper instead--putting down Rebel scum

Rebellion/Empire At War fusion
    I loved Rebellion, but it was more bug than game. Empire At War was great in concept, but a bit flawed in execution. I'd love to see a game that brings the two together, ideally with as few bugs as possible.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'd like to see the new MMO and The Force Unleashed III

Comment

Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III, Jedi Knight III....oh and Battlefront III.

Comment

My big three are Republic Commando 2, KOTOR 3 and The Force Unleashed 3.

Battlefront got boring for me fast, same stuff over and over. Jedi Knight I did like, at least Academy but I don't remember getting into Outcast that much and I never played either Dark Force.

I'd like to see a few more games in the style of TFU like a game involving Revan or a game set between Episodes V and VI and perhaps something that is in the same canon as Clone Wars and TFU set after the movies.
        Last edited by SaberBlade; 28 February 2011, 02:47 AM.

sigpic

Comment

The finest star wars games ever made were and still are the X-Wing and Tie Fighter titles. X-Wing Alliance was particularly awesome as it included a solid story into the mix. I still remember the "Ohhhh crap" feeling you get when you're evacuating your family space station when suddenly an Imperial Star Destroyer exits hyperspace right on top of you.
          Special mention still goes to Tie Fighter as one of my favorite games of all time. In that you really had a sense of being one of the bad guys, but at the same time you had a sense of pride as you took out Rebel ships with shields in your piddly weak Tie fighter.

The array of ships available to you in all these games is of course awesome as well.

The thing about modern games is as much as alot of them claim to be free roam or have non-linear game play or a vast assortment of weaponry, there's nothing really there that encourages you to try to fight a different way. If anything all you really want to do is improve your proven methods.

X-Wing and Tie however made you want to go back and try a different ship. Each one was so distinct with it's own pluses and minuses that you wanted to try out all of them, and you didn't want to pilot the same one all the time (the exceptions being the Standard Tie Fighter and the dreaded Z-95 Headhunter, although having said that I never did like the Y-Wing or Tie Bomber much either. Too slow).

The Enemy never really acted the same way either. Or it never seemed to. That's the upside to Flight games. Dogfights are so chaotic that you never really fight them the same way twice. Oh of course eventually when you get down to that last enemy fighter on your tail you do find yourself going round in circles trying to hunt the guy down but that's the point of diverting power away from your shields and adding them to engines to get ahead of your adversary.

So there ya go......my two cents.

So yeah....re-release X-Wing and Tie Fighter..........don't even bother upgrading the graphics. It will only slow things down.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Actually a game that mixes The Jedi Knight series with the X-wing/Tie Fighter series, but next gen. Sort of Mass Effect+Space Combat+Star Wars. That would be awesome...

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot Nightmare View Post
              Actually a game that mixes The Jedi Knight series with the X-wing/Tie Fighter series, but next gen. Sort of Mass Effect+Space Combat+Star Wars. That would be awesome...
              I think a highly customizable open world RPG with space combat would be best. Sort of like galaxies but not MMO.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jcvalo View Post
                I think a highly customizable open world RPG with space combat would be best. Sort of like galaxies but not MMO.
                Indeed, that would be great!

On a different note: I hope somehow The Old Republic will be converted into a single-player only game for consoles or something someday.

Comment

Well it could feasibly be on console as a MMO, like what they did with FFXI, but i very much doubt they'll do that and again unlikely they'd make a SP only when you have KOTOR and TSL.
                  sigpic

Comment

Tomorrow we are getting the Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars.

My son has quite the collection of Star Wars PC and NDS lite games that I can't even remember what he has anymore! He let me play one of his Battlefront games and was highly amused at how good I was. I proceeded to tell him I played PC games at HIS age too so I've been playing a lot longer than him. Though I don't think 11 year olds can grasp that concept.
                    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I loved Jedi Knight II and Academy, I loved the lightsaber moves, more so in Academy!

would I love to see a new Academy? sure? maybe a new player character? but definately more Katarn, he's too awesome to let go! but I'd love the controls to be built for PC. If Unleashed had been made for PC I might have actually spent money to get it. as it was I tried borrowing a friend's PS2 copy and could not get the hang of it. I thought the story and characters looked really cool, I'm almost tempted to find cheats to get me through the levels so I wouldn't have to put up with the controls and I could just watch the pretty cinematics!

KOTOR III!!!! I loved the Kotors! I just am not sure they can capture the same story and characters with an MMO, but I do want to give TOR a try! My sister dispises TOR because she is sad she'll never get her KotOR3, especially with how badly KotOR 2 left you hanging. we'll see right?

Comment

KOTOR2 didn't really leave you hanging.... At least, not if you played it with the Restored Content Mod. That fixed the bugginess.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          KOTOR2 didn't really leave you hanging.... At least, not if you played it with the Restored Content Mod. That fixed the bugginess.
                          do you know where I can find the restored content? I had one person link me some mods that didn't work so I've never been able to play it restored. My biggest trouble was the fact that end was like: "What happened to everybody??!" Not to mention they better answer the questions of what happened to Revan and Exile in TOR. if they do then I'll be happy to try ToR!

Comment

I believe this is the one I play it with usually. The page has the mod's changelog on it, and it's really quite extensive the amount of stuff they fix.

Comment

I want to see another game written by Obsidian. KotoR 2 had some really great dialogue and it's a real shame that it was never finished. My favorite conversation has to be the one where HK-47 explains how to kill Jedis.

Comment

Working...
                              X