"The Elder Scrolls" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Elder Scrolls" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

Well I thought it was about time. A thread for the Elder Scrolls games, be it Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim or even the older games such as Arena and Daggerfall.

And we have a new Skyrim trailer.

Jaws, commence dropping!

I started playing with Morrowind but played THE HELL out of that game. And all the expansions! I definately preferred that game to Oblivion, although that was great too.

Skyrim should be epic although I was hoping the next incarnation would've been the Kajeet or Argonians....

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
      I started playing with Morrowind but played THE HELL out of that game. And all the expansions! I definately preferred that game to Oblivion, although that was great too.

Skyrim should be epic although I was hoping the next incarnation would've been the Kajeet or Argonians....
      But Skyrim has Dragons. And Max Von Sydow!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
        But Skyrim has Dragons. And Max Von Sydow!
        Hehehe. Yeah. That trailer was awesome. Goosebumps and all. Heck, even the reveal teaser at the VGA was great.
        As for Max von Sydow: before checking wiki, I was about to say that I hope he'd have a role in the game...turns out, he does.

I played most of the Elder Scrolls games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind and Oblivion.
        The only one I remember finishing is Oblivion.

Gah. This probably necessitates a playthrough of at least Oblivion, just to reacquaint myself w/ the lore.
        See that, and the 'need' to upgrade my PC, is why I'm really glad that it won't be released for another 9 months.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
          Hehehe. Yeah. That trailer was awesome. Goosebumps and all. Heck, even the reveal teaser at the VGA was great.
          As for Max von Sydow: before checking wiki, I was about to say that I hope he'd have a role in the game...turns out, he does.
          Jaw dropping is the only way to describe that trailer. I spent mouth of the time watching the trailer with my mouth wide open.

This is an actual picture of me while watching the trailer.

Whatever the quality of the game, that has to be one of the best trailers for a game I've ever seen, when about a minute in, the music swells and it shows all the landscapes, that gets me every time I watch it.

Comment

I've been meaning to play Oblivion for ages. I used to have Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition for Xbox and I loved it. Couldn't put it down. I let a friend borrow it and never got it back! I need to reacquire a copy of Morrowind....if I can even find it on Xbox cheap these days. Although I think the PC version would run fine on my computer but it may need fixing.

Skyrim looks epic. It seems the only good games these days are the in-depth Action RPGs and similar things. I'd take a single-player only game over Call of Dookie anyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
              I started playing with Morrowind but played THE HELL out of that game.
              Ditto that. I actually got pregnant and had a baby in the time it took me to complete... said baby preventing me from ever really finishing it to my adequate satisfaction (I did finish the main quest though, but not the expansion quests).

I never managed to get Oblivion (again, aformentioned baby means my "game play" these days is more of the "Peppa Pig" and "bejewelled" variety) but Skyrim has got me salivating. Awesome trailer!

Thanks for posting it.
              sigpic

Comment

Pooooooo a video game thread I have to sit out because I've never played them
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Hehe, I'm usually the left out one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                    Ditto that. I actually got pregnant and had a baby in the time it took me to complete... said baby preventing me from ever really finishing it to my adequate satisfaction (I did finish the main quest though, but not the expansion quests).

I never managed to get Oblivion (again, aformentioned baby means my "game play" these days is more of the "Peppa Pig" and "bejewelled" variety) but Skyrim has got me salivating. Awesome trailer!

Thanks for posting it.
                    Nothing wrong with the odd bit of Peppa Pig, good show that.

I think a lot of people who played Oblivion and Morrowind never finished them, they were just so large. I think I managed most of the quests, but then download loads of mods and extra stuff. Never finished even half of them, the amount of content you can get is staggering.
                    Hand over your gamer card and go sit in the corner!
                    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 25 February 2011, 12:14 PM. Reason: out of cheese error

Comment

I didn't start really RPGing till just a few years ago

I've actually heard a lot of complaining about how Oblivion levels up though, people having to sit around casting over and over to level up that skill and whatnot.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've actually heard a lot of complaining about how Oblivion levels up though, people having to sit around casting over and over to level up that skill and whatnot.
                        Yeah, it's not a perfect game by any means. Ugly character models, about 3 voice actors for all the characters, level scaling, some serious immersion breaking over the sizes of things like cities (or that the "army" you gather for one quest is about 20 people), and the fact that though the game is supposed to be set in the central province of this great empires, there are no roads going out to other provinces.

It's still a great game, in that you can walk off in any direction and start having a hundred different adventures. What makes me excited for Skyrim is that Bethesda proved with Fallout 3 they had learned the mistakes, so that had level scaling toned down, and had less immersion breaking stuff.

The fact they've gone with a new, very beautiful engine means they seemed to fixing all their mistakes.

Still some of the immersion breaking stuff was pretty funny. Here's a song immortalising those omniscient guards that could catch you anywhere in Oblivion.

Comment

if you like RPGs play one of the final fantasys or chrono trigger they are the best games ever made.
                          sigpic
                          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                            if you like RPGs play one of the final fantasys or chrono trigger they are the best games ever made.
                            Posting with the screen name "Chrono Trigger", I figured it was only a matter of time till you showed up in all the RPG threads

Anyway re: FF, I've played a number of them without finishing any of them I've started 7, 8, 10, and 12 (haven't finished any lol). I also own 9, 10-2, and 13, but haven't started any of those either

Comment

Posting with the screen name "Chrono Trigger", I figured it was only a matter of time till you showed up in all the RPG threads

Anyway re: FF, I've played a number of them without finishing any of them I've started 7, 8, 10, and 12 (haven't finished any lol). I also own 9, 10-2, and 13, but haven't started any of those either
                              out of the ones you havent played try 9 i love it for being an old school RPG but if your not that keen on them to try another one out then fair enough. anyway im going to stop going off topic about final fantasy and leave everyone to discuss the elder scrolls series.
                              sigpic
                              The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X