I tried. I really did!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried. I really did!

I tried to get through the first season of B5, but I just couldn't do it. After several stalled attempts I added it to my instant queue on NetFlix and started watching on that. I just couldn't make it past episode 8 of season one. The acting is wooden, the aliens are laughably plain, and the look of the show reminds me of Beast Wars: Transformers (great show, but a big budget hour long show should look better). I'm told by several people on several message boards that the first season is the hardest to get through and that it's worth it when you finally get to season two, but I just can't take much more. I will likely try again, but I just can't see myself getting much farther than I have already.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

That's a shame. Next time you try, start where you left off. The second season is very good, third and fourth are fantastic with only a few less good episodes. The first half of the fifth is so-so, but the second is pretty good again.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      That's a shame. Next time you try, start where you left off. The second season is very good, third and fourth are fantastic with only a few less good episodes. The first half of the fifth is so-so, but the second is pretty good again.
      That's what I did this time. I left off last time at episode 5 or six and then this time I got bored and was walking thorough the house doing other stuff during 9.

Comment

Oh dear. Maybe you just have to face the fact that B5 isn't the show for you, there's certainly so much other stuff to watch, what's the point of forcing yourself through something you're bored with?
        sigpic

Comment

i have this problem with The Wire. everyone tells me that its fantastic and that you have to get through the first half of season 1 or so before it takes off and i just cant do it. i've gotta try b5 sometime just to see!

Comment

I agree, that's a shame, but there's nothing worse than watching something you can't stand. I know that BSG is a show I SHOULD like, but I can't get into it either. It's not the end of the world
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Skip the first season. That's what I did (though not intentionally). When the show originally aired, I didn't start watching it until somewhere in season 2. I eventually caught S1 which helped clarify a few things, but I don't really think you have to watch it in order to understand the others. Wooden Boy Sinclare is gone by S2. Bruce Boxleitner is much better as the commander.

Glad you gave it a try, but I say skip S1 and give S2 a try.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                I agree, that's a shame, but there's nothing worse than watching something you can't stand. I know that BSG is a show I SHOULD like, but I can't get into it either. It's not the end of the world
                Blasphemy!

Honestly with BSG you have to get past the episode "33." thats what it took for me to get into it. up until then, it made me want to hurt myself lol. Afterwards though, you just cant get enough!

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                  Blasphemy!

Honestly with BSG you have to get past the episode "33." thats what it took for me to get into it. up until then, it made me want to hurt myself lol. Afterwards though, you just cant get enough!
                  33 is the first episode of season 1........there's only the mini series before it.

As for B5 I would start with season 2 too...............unless you wanna go like me and watch the finale episode first then go back.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                    Skip the first season. That's what I did (though not intentionally). When the show originally aired, I didn't start watching it until somewhere in season 2. I eventually caught S1 which helped clarify a few things, but I don't really think you have to watch it in order to understand the others. Wooden Boy Sinclare is gone by S2. Bruce Boxleitner is much better as the commander.

Glad you gave it a try, but I say skip S1 and give S2 a try.
                    Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    33 is the first episode of season 1........there's only the mini series before it.

As for B5 I would start with season 2 too...............unless you wanna go like me and watch the finale episode first then go back.
                    I'll give that a try. Since there's not too much to miss it can't hurt to try the second season. Now to get some free time away from the wife and kids.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
                      I'll give that a try. Since there's not too much to miss it can't hurt to try the second season. Now to get some free time away from the wife and kids.
                      I suggest at least trying to get to episode 13 of season 1, "Signs and Portents." If you still don't like it, you can try jumping to season 2 like the others were suggesting. During my first viewing of B5, it was when it first aired back in the 90s. I didn't get into B5 until I saw a preview for the first episode of season 2. I started watching the show because of Boxleitner.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                        I suggest at least trying to get to episode 13 of season 1, "Signs and Portents." If you still don't like it, you can try jumping to season 2 like the others were suggesting. During my first viewing of B5, it was when it first aired back in the 90s. I didn't get into B5 until I saw a preview for the first episode of season 2. I started watching the show because of Boxleitner.
                        Sounds reasonable enough.

Comment

Sounds reasonable enough.
                          Signs and Portents is extremely important to the show. I personally feel it's an outstanding episode. That single episode sets the main arc in motion and that arc will affect every single character all the way to season 5.
                          sigpic

Comment

I tried to get through the first season of B5, but I just couldn't do it. After several stalled attempts I added it to my instant queue on NetFlix and started watching on that. I just couldn't make it past episode 8 of season one. The acting is wooden, the aliens are laughably plain, and the look of the show reminds me of Beast Wars: Transformers (great show, but a big budget hour long show should look better). I'm told by several people on several message boards that the first season is the hardest to get through and that it's worth it when you finally get to season two, but I just can't take much more. I will likely try again, but I just can't see myself getting much farther than I have already.
                            B5 is a wonderful series for me, but I love it for it's story, not for good acting, or great special effects. It was always more a low budget series, and of course everybody can see that. But taking that into account, by concentrating on the story the (often, but not in any case) wooden action, and the sometimes mediocre (or less) special effects, disappear from the view, and it might be possible to enjoy the story for what it is. Reminds me of LOTR, but in Space.
                            sigpic

Comment

Indeed, as was possibly the intent of the writers. Myths in space. The overall story is a great battle of good and evil, with a curve ball thrown in since even the good aren't quite what they seem. Interspersed with the personal stories of the characters.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X