The Tau'ri have a Super-Nova Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tau'ri have a Super-Nova Gun

Okay so it's not really a gun exactly, but using a ship like the Prometheus they could very easily cause a sun to go supernova. Just like they did on Exodus (4x22) essentially all they have to do is throw a Stargate connected to the black hole planet into the sun right? Well forgive me if I'm wrong but that sounds simple enough doesn't it? If they knew the location of a planet that they want gone, all they'd have to do is get close, dial a gate, make a very short hyperspace hop into the system, drop the gate, then get the blazes out of there. The planet's population wouldn't have a clue what just happened if they picked them up at all and presto, one [insert bad-guy here] base destroyed.

And it's not like unused gates are all that hard to come by, especially in the period between the fall of the goa'uld and the arrival of the Ori or after TAoT. So why wasn't this put into common practice? Someone please prove me wrong, because I think I just broke Stargate. Because how many conflicts can you think of that could have been solved using this method? I don't know about you, but I can think of a lot.
    Founding member and councilman of The League for the Empowerment of Villainous Inquisitor Laborers
    Also know as The League of EVIL.

Supporter of the philosophies and practices of the Alterans and the Asgard.
    Supporter of the Galactic Empire.
    Supporter of all of Dr. Nicholas Rush's methods throughout all of SGU so far.

"If you immediately know the candle light is fire, the meal was cooked long ago." -Oma Desala
    "The only moral way to change someone's mind...is to present evidence." -Alteran
    "We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate but most of all, freedom of will." -Alteran
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
    "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." -Einstein

cuz that is what you call fan wank weaponry and it wouldnt be much of a show if they go around blowing up stars and deus ex machina are jsut stupid

Comment

because most solar systems have more than one planet and one of the other planets may be peaceful and the other may be the bad guy so if you destroy the sun to kill the bad guys you are killing the peaceful people who have nothing to do with it to.

Comment

i prefer to forget that little trick. it's just TOO cheap of a weapon

Comment

Because destroying entier solar systems comes with serious ethical problems.

Comment

Also, inducing a Nova is a rather... inaccurate weapon. It's usefulness is very limited to acting on planets, or other object that cannot move.

So really, how much use is it?

Comment

They did that in STNG.
              http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Sur..._%28episode%29

The guy had a hard time getting over killing an entire species in a moment of anger.

Comment

Despite the moral implications of it would be a good deterrent do what we say or we will blow up your Star

Comment

how long do you think it takes before someone blows up the sun then? and it'll hurt us a LOT more

Comment

i would like to think no1 uses it for the same reason we are not using nukes on earth now. it scares the hell out of every 1.

but that does not sound like the thinking of most races in stargate so the most likely reason we do not see this is because the show would become really boring.

Case closed

Comment

How many worlds with Stargates are near black holes? It was mere luck that there was an black hole forming in that system for most black holes are older if not as old as the Stargates. We would need the power to produce black holes and Stargates if were to even attempt to make this a viable weapons platform.

Comment

I more practical use for black holes and stargates I think would rather be as a power source. Much like the Ori used black holes to indefinitely power their supergates, I think the same power could be harnessed to power a ship by leeching energy from a black hole through a gate on board said ship. I'm sure the Asgard core would have something about being able to control the gravity forces through a gate.

As for destroying stars willy nilly. STRICTLY if it's an isolated system with nothing but enemies around. I don't agree with planetary scare collateral damage, makes you no better than the Goa'uld or Ori that you're fighting.
                        sigpic
                        Weapons At Maximum!

Comment

Well of all the enemies we've seen in the show, the Goa'uld, Lucian Alliance and the Ori all want to conquer planets for their resources and the Wraith want to use planets as feeding grounds. The only enemy we've seen that would be prepared to cause such total destruction as blowing up a sun to completely destroy a planet would be Anubis. So you're basically saying, "Why doesn't Earth act more like Anubis?".

Also think about this, the Jaffa barely trust us as it is and the Tok'ra have always expressed concern at the rate of our technological advancement. Now imagine if we were going around blowing up suns all over the place. I think the galaxy would unite and we would be the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Raza View Post
                            How many worlds with Stargates are near black holes? It was mere luck that there was an black hole forming in that system for most black holes are older if not as old as the Stargates. We would need the power to produce black holes and Stargates if were to even attempt to make this a viable weapons platform.
                            No, you've not grasped the principle of it, you take any gate dial P3W-451 (S1 matter of time) or any other known gate that is under the influence of a black hole, dump it into the star in the target system, some of the star's mass is pulled through the wormhole into the black hole which causes it to destabilize and go nova. You could do this to any star regardless of it's proximity to the black hole.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jcvalo View Post
                              No, you've not grasped the principle of it, you take any gate dial P3W-451 (S1 matter of time) or any other known gate that is under the influence of a black hole, dump it into the star in the target system, some of the star's mass is pulled through the wormhole into the black hole which causes it to destabilize and go nova. You could do this to any star regardless of it's proximity to the black hole.
                              Well eventually P3W-451 is gonna be ripped apart by the gravitational pull of the black hole if it hasn't been already.

Comment

Working...
                              X