The Little Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Little Things

We all have favourite big moments....the BOBW cliffhanger, The Inner Light, In the Pale Moonlight, etc etc. But these are all big things. This is a thread for the little things. All those little moments that so generally go unsung when we talk about our favourite franchise, but moments that we love just the same. What are some of your favourite "little things" in Star Trek?

One of mine was in First Contact, during the flight of the Phoenix. It's when they're having a problem with one of the intakes and Cochrane tells Geordi and Riker to ignore it, that it'll be fine....and the two of them exchange this look that I find is one of the most emotive moments in the whole franchise. It just says so much about them, their reliance on 24th century gizmos, and how different they are from us. And all without them exchanging a single word of dialogue.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Going with the movie theme made this come to mind

The end of Nemisis when B4 is singing "Never Saw the Sun" or trying too - bittersweet

B'Elana asking the Doctor to be their daughters Godfather

So many moments seeing Sisko as a father to Jake, just the little looks and smiles
    sigpic

Comment

O'Brien and Bashir singing Jerusalem in "Explorers" comes to mind.
      sigpic
      Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Sarek and Picard in Unification pt 1. So sad. So superbly written and acted.

The Kirk/Spock backrub incident.

There're so many little moments!
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Quark giving Picard's "the line must be drawn here" speech.

Same actors but new characters. Jeffrey Combs is perhaps the best example, doing memorable recurring characters like Brunt, Weyoun and Shran, but also doing several one off characters across DS9, VOY and ENT.

On the same note as above, seeing popular actors doing roles without their makeup. DS9 is probably the best for this, with the Benny Russell visions but also Neelix in First Contact, Morn's actor appearing without makeup in the episode with 1000 bricks of latinum, Tony Todd playing Kurn in TNG and DS9, then getting to play an older Jake Sisko.

Worf saying anything funny; Human bonding rituals often involve a great deal of talking... and dancing... and crying; Sir I protest! I am not a merry man!; What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial, or shall I execute him?; Assimilate this!; Good Tea, nice house; The Keiko/DS9/Baby/Worf going to Earth line; At the first sign of betrayal, I will kill him. But I promise to return the body intact; Worf playing baseball (mainly "Find him and kill him!"); "Q, the miserable, Q, the desperate! What must I do to convince you people?" "Die."; RAAAAAWWWWRRRRRRRGGGGGG... that is how a Klingon lures a mate.

and of course this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N86icfWM03g

sigpic

Comment

Excellent thread to start Digi!

One of my favorites from the early seasons:

Kira is in the chamber of ministers on Bajor just after Jaro is exposed. The ministers all start chattering at once and Kira quietly looks around... and she realizes the vision she saw in the Orb of Prophecy and Change is coming to pass before her very eyes. That was a powerful moment for her.

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
            So many moments seeing Sisko as a father to Jake, just the little looks and smiles
            Yepper, especially that uh oh look they gave each other when the crew started their training for that baseball game against the Vulcans.
            sigpic

Comment

When Odo is on the changeling planet and realizes he belongs to a race hell-bent on dominating or destroying solid sentience.
              sigpic

Comment

Some of the little things that i like are:

The aforementioned Keiko having a baby/Worf visiting earth.
                Quark and Rom accidentally wandering into Sisko's office in 'the magnificent ferengi' (somehow Sisko did not seem very surprised about this)
                Picard doing the hand palm during conversations with Data.
                The opening scene of VOY episode 'shattered' when Icheb is tutoring Naomi using a jig saw puzzle (so makes me want to ship these two)
                That 'She punched out Lancelot'/'I was playing a married woman' exchange betwixt Dax and Kira.
                That in the TNG episode 'Genesis' when the crew begin to de-evolve you can tell that nurse Ogawa will become some form of primate before any obvious physical changes occur because the actress begins to move like a primate but in subtle non-obvious ways.
                Ezri Dax describing the many kinds of Gak until she becomes so nauseous she has to run from the room.
                When Kira says to Damar 'Yeah, what kind of people do those things' and the look of uncomfortable realization upon his face.
                Just the way that Damar's character changed over the course of that show not because of any big event but through a lot of little things that gradually built up.

And a host of other little bits too numerous to mention. I have often found the little things more interesting and memorable than the big things.
                Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

I really liked the part in "Call to Arms" when Sisko tells Weyoun, "I will not allow any more Dominion reinforcements through the wormhole." and Weyoun replies, "You will not allow?!" That was one of the few moments when Weyoun loses his cool but only for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    We all have favourite big moments....the BOBW cliffhanger, The Inner Light, In the Pale Moonlight, etc etc. But these are all big things. This is a thread for the little things. All those little moments that so generally go unsung when we talk about our favourite franchise, but moments that we love just the same. What are some of your favourite "little things" in Star Trek?

How about when Cochrane said... "engage"
                    One of mine was in First Contact, during the flight of the Phoenix. It's when they're having a problem with one of the intakes and Cochrane tells Geordi and Riker to ignore it, that it'll be fine....and the two of them exchange this look that I find is one of the most emotive moments in the whole franchise. It just says so much about them, their reliance on 24th century gizmos, and how different they are from us. And all without them exchanging a single word of dialogue.
                    What about Cochrane saying "engage" to the two?

Comment

It was cool because that's what Picard always says, and here's the man who invent Earth's warp drive saying it... for the first time in connection with going to warp.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I was just chatting with a friend about Trek and thought of another one:

In The Undiscovered Country, when the cloaked BoP first fires on the Enterprise, Kirk's immediate order is "back off, back off!" Just those two repeated words are so clearly indicative of a seasoned commander who reacts on instinct, without even having to think about it. Love that bit.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                        X