What was the point of Jenevian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the point of Jenevian?

I'm rewatching the "Look at the Princess" trilogy of episodes and it's gotten me thinking about something that has bothered me since I first saw them.

Did anyone think the revelation about the prince's fiancée being a peacekeeper special agent was kind of out of place?

I mean everything she did seemed to undermine the main characters.

Consider that she is:

- A beautiful woman
    - skilled martial artist
    - immune to scarren mind probing
    - she is able to deceive everyone perfectly
    - she saves John's life at least twice
    - she blows away Scorpius despite supposedly working for the same side. And presumably the only reason she didn't kill him was because didn't feel like it.
    - despite his high rank and top secret project, he is apparently completely unable to retaliate in any way. So she is completely above reproach. She even caused him to lose his cool, which he almost never does.
    - She actually has sex with John even though this episode is supposed to be about him growing closer to Aeryn.

And then at the end of the episode she leaves and is never seen again.

Did it seem like anyone else like the character was almost like a Mary Sue that got lost on her way to a fan fiction or something.

Why did all of these things happen? Was I the only one who thought she was a little out of place?

It wasn't a big deal I suppose, but it just left me wondering why it happened by the end of the episode. Did anyone else?
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

She was there to show that the Scarren's aren't the only ones trying to get favor/control.

That doesn't answer everything.. but somethings.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---
    sigpic

Comment

Her role didn't really surprise me all that much.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

She was there to claim and hold the title of hottest guest star to appear on the series.

Seriously though, she was there to serve as the PK side of the vast web of intrigue they had going on in the episode. The episode was all about spies and double agents in the kings court so of course you were going to have the secret PK agent in there somewhere.

Both the PKs and Scarrans wanted to be holding the strings of whatever new leadership ended up in charge of that evidently high profile and important planet.

The Scarrans used their ambassador as their spy/agent using his station as a cover, and the PKs used a deep cover type operative with Jenavian impersonating a ditzy socialite that nobody would look twice at in such a climate.

As far as the J/A stuff there's a scene at the end where Jenavian half-heartedly tries to get John to take that chemical test to see if they're compatible and he just says "we're not compatible" she agrees, and they go on with their business.

It shows him turning down a chance with a hot PK secret agent in order to keep chasing after Aeryn.

Incidentally, this was also the first episode where most fans agree that the neural clone implanted by Scorpy in "nerve" really began to damage his brain heavily.
        Last edited by Ouroboros; 03 February 2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Maybe it wasn't the simple fact that she was a Peacekeeper agent at all that bothered me so much (as that part was fairly straightforward), but why would she help John against Scorpius if that was the case? He's trying to advance Peacekeeper goals more than she is. And she can just shoot him and steal an incredibly valuable fugitive without repercussions? What was the point in the script of having her have sex with John in an episode that seemed at both the beginning and end to be about John and Aeryn's relationship? That was the part that seemed out of place.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I haven't seen the episode in a while but wasn't Scorpy's goal in this one just to abduct John at any cost as usual. in other words he wouldn't care if he had to take a dump all over Jenavian's undercover work in order to do it, so long as he got John back into his Aurora chair.

What I'm getting at is though they might both have been under the same flag it's unlikely they had the same goals.

As far as the sex thing goes I couldn't give you a good answer other than she just found John appealing. I mean, you do remember the guy they set her up to be engaged to right.

Also, though I know some Farscape fans would bitterly disagree, not everything that happens in the series to the two characters has to have some tie back to John and Aeryn's relationship.

Jenavian is actually only behind Natira in terms of "character's I wish would have joined the main cast long term". Everyone goes on and on about Gillina, but I think Jenavian would have made for much more interesting interactions with the others.

Comment

Natira. Now that's an idea I can get behind you on, old buddy. I remember hoping that would happen.
              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                What I'm getting at is though they might both have been under the same flag it's unlikely they had the same goals.
                I agree. Scorpy was there for Scorpy, using his PK ties to forward his own agenda. Jenevian was there more for the PK side of things.

As far as the sex thing goes I couldn't give you a good answer other than she just found John appealing. I mean, you do remember the guy they set her up to be engaged to right.
                Almost anybody would be appealing after that guy.

My take on this was on Jenevian's side, she'd been undercover for awhile having to put up with that Prince, and she meets John who is unlike anyone else she's met and damn good looking and charming.

On John's side, he's just been turned down by Aeryn. This is still mid season 2 and Aeryn hasn't let go of all her PK training and still is fighting her emotions and PK conditioning not to have any. I think she is in the teenage stage of feeling love and is hurt that John is flirting, etc. John is hurt when he tries to be honest with Aeryn and so when he finds himself alone with Jenevian and she is offering he succumbs. Not his finest moment but I can understand it.
                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I just watched these three eps.

I thought her character made perfect sense in the episodes. She was there to make sure that Clavor never took the thrown. She specifically stated that if he did, she was sent there to kill him. I guess the PKs would rather have upheaval on the planet rather than have someone rule the planet who favored the Scarans. And someone had to save Crichton's butt.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

She made sense to me in the ep. She was there undercover to make sure that no one on the throne would be in the Scarren's influence. Then she "found" out about John and figured the PK wanted more control with Crichton's "undercover" job so she protected him. And why she protected him with Scorpius... did she even know who Scorpius was? Just because he outranked her doesn't mean that he outranked her mission. And since PK command didn't tell her anything about Scorpy..

Comment

Aside from the intrigue/politics angle (bet. the PK and the Scarrans), I think Jenavian was also meant to somewhat 'humanize' the Peacekeepers: there's that conversation between her and John (3rd part, I think, 'The Maltese Crichton') where she seems to worry about the fate of innocents if a war were to break out between the PKs and the Scarrans.
                      sigpic

Comment

It was the worst trilogy ever. And Jenevian? Her point was to make sure that Earth's(the real Earth where we are discussing this trilogy) timeline wouldn't alter. I mean if she wouldn't have existed, this thread would not exist. The timeline would be altered! That must not be allowed to happen.
                        Last edited by rushy; 03 April 2011, 10:13 AM.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                          It was the worst trilogy ever. And Jenevian? Her point was to make sure that Earth's timeline wouldn't alter. I mean if she wouldn't have existed, this thread would not exist. The timeline would be altered! That must not be allowed to happen.
                          Huh? There was no time travel in the Look at the Princess trilogy
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Huh? There was no time travel in the Look at the Princess trilogy
                            Not now there isn't.

They time traveled into the past to change it, duh.

Comment

Not now there isn't.

They time traveled into the past to change it, duh.
                              I think we're talking about different eps. Look at the Princess didn't have anything to do with time travel other than John getting to see his future son. Time changes didn't happen till John learned how to manipulate wormholes from Einstein.
                              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Working...
                              X