New fan of SUPERNATURAL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fan of SUPERNATURAL!

Yup! Getting into quite a lot of new shows lately wanted to see what all the fuss was with SUPERNATURAL, oddly I only got interested in the show when people over at tvbythenumbers were complaining about CW when the postponed the start of Season 6.5 until this week.

So far loving it! Just finished Season 1 started Season 2 on Sunday with my Dad
    Spoiler:
    was shocked when the father died even tho I saw it coming, still a shock!

First of all, my apologies to Homer 120 for hijacking his thread.

The thing is, Ashizuri talked me into giving a Supernatural a try and in the end we decided to have a (re)watch together and of course to discuss episodes as we go, as we love good discussions. While looking for a thread for that, I found this one. I don't see a point of starting a new one, when I'm pretty much a new fan as well. And yes, I know that there's the "My journey through SPN" thread, but hopefully we'll be going at a quicker pace than Puddle Jumper and so we wouldn't want to 1) spoil things for him and 2) step on anyone's toes.

So, here it is. Ash and I hope to discuss 4-5 episodes per week, depending on time. She's a long-time fan doing a rewatch, however I'm watching the series for the first time ever. Because of this, if anyone decides to join in - and everybody's very welcome to do, the more the merrier - please use spoiler tags. I try to remain as un-spoiled as possible.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to warn you that we may get a bit snarky and critical at times.

These first 'reviews' are very short and I'm afraid they don't make much sense as I wasn't sure what to focus on. Therefore, they are just some loose thoughts, but it will get better (or at least longer and more organised), I promise!

Okay, here goes:

Pilot

I enjoyed it. It’s a good introduction to the series, makes you want to see the next ep which is what pilots are all about.

The stuff with Sam’s girlfriend was way too predictable – you knew she was dead the moment she appeared.

Also, the jump off that bridge was a tad unrealistic too, but as it’s just the pilot I’ll ignore that for now. I hope the show doesn’t make a habit of it. Otoh, the very beginning with the brothers as kids and their mom dying was excellent – just the right mix of being scary and fascinating.

The actor playing dad reminds me of Javier Bardem and I find this pretty distracting

The part with the ghost was good too – that girl was very creepy! I don’t watch horrors – I’m too easy to scare – and this ghost story was something I was comfortable watching, so that’s a big plus for me (not sure about anybody else though). I must say I like how they tackled a pretty much universal ghost story - lady in white - and put their own spin on it. I hope it will continue.

Wendigo

Finn from Glee! ‘nuff said!

Okay, seriously. Pretty good 1st episode. I see TPTB chose the well-known route of starting with ‘monster of the week’ stories and in this way easing the audience into the universe they created. I can live with that.

The diary is interesting. It makes sense that something like that would exist, but otoh, I can’t help but thinking it isn’t very thick for something that’s supposed to contain 20+, if not more, years of knowledge. And of course they have a copy of it, don’t they? In case something happens to it?

The story itself was okay. I liked the guest characters, acting was good, forest didn’t look very Canadian for a change (where is this show shot, btw?), the idea of Wendigo was pretty cool and reminded me of The X-Files. I just wish the guy looked more scary…plus I have trouble with buying the theory that with the way he looked he could be so fast as he was shown to be. Mhm.

Dead in the water

Amy Acker. Geez. One of my least-favourite actresses ever. It’s a good thing I’m committed to watching this series with Ash, or I might have skipped this entire episode just because of AA.

And that would be a shame, because it was an enjoyable episode, even despite my initial suspicions that the sheriff had something to do with it, proven right. Interaction between the brothers is fun to watch and it was nice to see them – well, Dean really – bond with another traumatized child, even if the whole thing was a bit clichéd.

In any case, I’m looking forward to the next episode, and that means the show does something right.

Phantom Traveller

I liked this one. It was nice to have a non-corporeal baddie this week, even if the evil cloud reminded me of SG-1’ Anubis I think I like the episodes with spirits, demons and rituals more than the ones with corporeal freaks. As someone who loves travelling by plane, I was also pleased to see the episode set in such unorthodox – for a horror/paranormal show – environment. Oh, and it was fun to see Dean freaked out and Sam making fun of him because of that. Also, nice explanation why the brothers always drive everywhere.

I was actually happy to see the actor who played the guy requesting Dean's help – he was one of the major characters in Caprica and appeared in the same episode of Fairly Legal in which RDA’s David Smith was introduced, so I have a soft spot for him.

I am getting a little bit tired of “monster of the week” stories. I hope the whole season isn’t like that..

Bloody Mary

Oh, this one was creepy. Seriously. I finished watching it late at night and didn’t feel like going to the bathroom at all. This is why I don’t watch horrors. Mary reminded me of that girl from The Ring (Japanese version) and as Ash knows, I was scared s***less watching that movie! So yeah, it’s probably the scariest ep they’ve done so far. What’s more, I didn’t figure out the plot on my own in advance, so kudos for that.

I’m a bit confused though. So Sam had nightmares about Jess’ death? Are they setting him up to be some sort of a seer? Is he going to possess some supernatural abilities too? What about Dean? I’m not sure if I like the idea of human paranormal hunters being paranormal themselves. Hmm. We’ll see.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    sigpic
    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Well, Petra, you've asked a lot of questions that I cannot answer as I would be spoiling upcoming episodes, plot lines and story arcs for you. There is, however, one question that I can answer without spoiling anything...

...specially about Sam. You'll just have to watch and see!

There is only one journal, no copies. It may be small but there are a lot of pages in it with lots of info on just about every John has ever hunted. Remember, looks can be deceiving!

That said, welcome to Supernatural! I hope you enjoy the ride
      sigpic
      Sig by ME.

Comment

YAY!!! We're finally starting! So glad you decided to give the show a chance, you wont regret it!

Because of this, if anyone decides to join in - and everybody's very welcome to do, the more the merrier - please use spoiler tags. I try to remain as un-spoiled as possible.
        Ok, I'm going to try very hard to remember to tag anything that might be considered spoilers, but I am apologizing in advance because I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to get on a tangent and say something I probably shouldn't. If I do, just yell at me and I'll fix it quick.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to warn you that we may get a bit snarky and critical at times.
        I feel like we should put this disclaimer in our sigs. Lol.

Pilot

The stuff with Sam’s girlfriend was way too predictable – you knew she was dead the moment she appeared.
        I agree about Jess’ death. Knowing that the show was going to be about two brothers on the road hunting the supernatural left me with no doubt as to her fate the first time I watched. Still, the scene was intense, with her blood hitting his face before she went up in the flames. And it does tie in nicely with Mary’s death 22 years earlier and leaves you wondering why the women in the Winchester’s lives suffer the same fate. So, yeah, it was predictable, but I think it served its purpose.

The actor playing dad reminds me of Javier Bardem and I find this pretty distract-ing
        Papa Winchester is so hot, all scruffy and flannel-y. <3333

And I really liked how the conversation in Sam’s apartment (and throughout the episode) set up the boys opinions on hunting. Dean being Daddy’s little soldier and willing to face the things that go bump in the night vs. Sam resenting the life their father gave them and wanting to leave it behind. This is a plotline that runs through the entire show and I forgot how well it was set up in the beginning.

I also liked the banter between the boys. Sam pretty consistently plays the straight man to Dean’s comedy and I have to say, Dean was hilarious in this episode. His scenes with the cops make me laugh out loud.

I must say I like how they tackled a pretty much universal ghost story - lady in white - and put their own spin on it. I hope it will continue.
        Honestly, this is something that Supernatural excels at. Kripke and Co. have a way of taking something we’ve all heard of (and in some cases are bored of) and putting a fresh, interesting spin on it.

Wendigo

Finn from Glee! ‘nuff said!
        He was so young and baby-faced!

Okay, seriously. Pretty good 1st episode.
        Only two episodes in, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far. You’re the second person I’ve gotten into the show. (The other is my BFF and I’ve recently gotten her obsessed with Glee as well!)

The diary is interesting. It makes sense that something like that would exist, but otoh, I can’t help but thinking it isn’t very thick for something that’s supposed to contain 20+, if not more, years of knowledge. And of course they have a copy of it, don’t they? In case something happens to it?
        John’s journal is one of a kind, but, if I’m remembering correctly, most other hunters have their own form of it. I can think of at least one other instance of a hunter keeping a journal off the top of my head.

My only real criticism of this episode was that it felt too easy for Sam to just get back into the swing of hunting. Having been out of the game for a few years I expected him to stumble and mess up a bit.

Again, Dean (and his M&M’s) had me laughing. And Sam just looked really good in this episode.

forest didn’t look very Canadian for a change (where is this show shot, btw?)
        Interesting that you should say that, because SPN is primarily filmed in Vancouver. Lol.

I just wish the guy looked more scary
        You don’t watch horror, so you might not get the reference, but the wendigo reminded me a lot of the creepy mountain people in Descent. Super fast, super smart, eats humans. Makes me wonder if the film based it’s monsters on the wendigo or similar lore.

Dead in the water

Not gonna lie, I really didn’t like this episode. I’m not a huge Amy Acker fan (I hated her back on Angel) so I sort of….watched this episode without paying huge amounts of attention to it.

I liked that the tension between Sam and Dean about hunting in general vs. just finding their father and the thing that killed Jess is still present.

I thought it was odd that the sheriff was so quick to dismiss there being some type of carnivorous animal in the lake even though there were three drowning’s and no bodies recovered. One body not found wouldn’t seem like such a big deal, but three bodies in a shrinking lake is suspicious, especially considering the 6 bodies that were never found from previous drownings.

Dean’s crap pick-up lines are golden. This is also the first glimpse we get of Dean being a big old softy at heart. <3
        I also liked the double-layered meaning in Sam’s line “Kids are strong. You'd be surprised what they can deal with.” It takes on more meaning once we start to get real glimpses of Sam and Dean’s childhood.

The drowning in the sink was creepy and this is about where I zoned out. Dead kid haunting the lake, bent on revenge. The story is sad in theory, but I just couldn’t get into it. I’m glad Lucas made it out alive though, the kid was pretty cute.

Ok, I'm going to end this here for now. Hopefully I can get the rest finished tonight or tomorrow, but my laptop is about to die and I need to find the charger.
        Originally posted by Callista
        Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
        Originally posted by HPMom
        She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
          There is only one journal, no copies. It may be small but there are a lot of pages in it with lots of info on just about every John has ever hunted. Remember, looks can be deceiving!
          Apparently.

So you are saying that I don't have to worry about it being stolen or destroyed and having the brothers totally on their own? I guess that's my biggest concern; that one of those things they battle would realise how important the journal is and destroy or at least take it.

That said, welcome to Supernatural! I hope you enjoy the ride
          Thank you! From what I've seen so far, I'm sure I will!

And I've just got to say that it's a lovely smilie you have there.

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
          YAY!!! We're finally starting! So glad you decided to give the show a chance, you wont regret it!

I feel like we should put this disclaimer in our sigs. Lol.
          Hey, there's an idea! *looks at her own sig and how crowded it already is* Maybe not.

I agree about Jess’ death. Knowing that the show was going to be about two brothers on the road hunting the supernatural left me with no doubt as to her fate the first time I watched. Still, the scene was intense, with her blood hitting his face before she went up in the flames. And it does tie in nicely with Mary’s death 22 years earlier and leaves you wondering why the women in the Winchester’s lives suffer the same fate. So, yeah, it was predictable, but I think it served its purpose.
          Oh, absolutely. Given how Sam goes on and on about this "normal live" of his and how he's done with hunting etc. I'm sure nothing less would have worked. And I know that it's just a pilot, meant to set things up, and that's okay. The scene was well done too, just...predictable.

Papa Winchester is so hot, all scruffy and flannel-y. <3333
          Oh yes! It's quite obvious who the guys got looks and charm after. The downside is, I'm not sure if my screen can handle so much hotness when the 3 of them eventually meet (they will at some point, won't they?).

I need to find some pics of him.

And I really liked how the conversation in Sam’s apartment (and throughout the episode) set up the boys opinions on hunting. Dean being Daddy’s little soldier and willing to face the things that go bump in the night vs. Sam resenting the life their father gave them and wanting to leave it behind. This is a plotline that runs through the entire show and I forgot how well it was set up in the beginning.
          From what I've seen so far, Sam and Dean remind me a lot of Daniel and Jack in SG-1. Apart from their brotherly chemistry, I think they are based on the same archetypes; one is very intellectual, gentler, good with people, empathetic, a diplomat; the other is a soldier with a *seemingly* simplistic look on life and with his own moral code, very down-to-earth and hiding his true emotions. Fortunately, they've both been given enough quirks to make them stand out from many such characters on tv and I'm curious to see how things will develop.

You’re the second person I’ve gotten into the show. (The other is my BFF and I’ve recently gotten her obsessed with Glee as well!)
          Didn't she watch SGU as well? Looks like I'm in good company!

My only real criticism of this episode was that it felt too easy for Sam to just get back into the swing of hunting. Having been out of the game for a few years I expected him to stumble and mess up a bit.
          Good point.

Interesting that you should say that, because SPN is primarily filmed in Vancouver. Lol.
          D'oh! Although it explains why it rains so often on this show.

You don’t watch horror, so you might not get the reference, but the wendigo reminded me a lot of the creepy mountain people in Descent. Super fast, super smart, eats humans. Makes me wonder if the film based it’s monsters on the wendigo or similar lore.
          Okay, I've actually seen Descent - years ago - and now that you mention if, I can see similarities. But wasn't Descent set in a cave or something?

I’m not a huge Amy Acker fan (I hated her back on Angel) so I sort of….watched this episode without paying huge amounts of attention to it.
          You too, huh? Why doesn't it surprise me?

Fred must be my most hated tv character ever. I think I'd prefer even Landry to her, and that says something...That said, after I got over my initial reaction of: "Oh no, Amy Acker! Turn it off!" the episode was quite enjoyable, if a bit too predictable again. I guess that just like with 'lady in white' motif, I enjoyed SPN's spin on the "there's something in the lake" story.

Ok, I'm going to end this here for now. Hopefully I can get the rest finished tonight or tomorrow, but my laptop is about to die and I need to find the charger.
          That's okay, as long as finishing won't take you another 3 weeks...
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
            Apparently.
            Yep.

So you are saying that I don't have to worry about it being stolen or destroyed and having the brothers totally on their own? I guess that's my biggest concern; that one of those things they battle would realise how important the journal is and destroy or at least take it.
            Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I would be heart broken for Dean and Sam if that book ever left their possession.

Thank you! From what I've seen so far, I'm sure I will!
            You're welcome.

And I've just got to say that it's a lovely smilie you have there.
            Thanks you but...I didn't make them. Myn McGeek made them.

Here's the link to her PB album with the rest if you wanna have a look-see...
            http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b.../Supernatural/
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

Phantom Traveller

I loved this episode. Probably one of my favorite from season 1. I really liked the Amanda character. Not only did I think the actress was very pretty, but she thanked them at the end, and considering how rarely the boys get thanked I always appreciate the characters who do.

I wish they had explained why the demon was crashing planes. I guess I can kind of understand why it would want to make sure everyone on the plane died, but why was it killing people in the first place?

It was nice to have a non-corporeal baddie this week, even if the evil cloud reminded me of SG-1’ Anubis I think I like the episodes with spirits, demons and rituals more than the ones with corporeal freaks.
              This episode was funny for me because it made me think about how different the demon exorcism thing is dealt with throughout the show. I think this is the only time that the second incantation to send demons back to hell is used. Honestly, I had forgotten completely about it.

As someone who loves travelling by plane, I was also pleased to see the episode set in such unorthodox – for a horror/paranormal show – environment. Oh, and it was fun to see Dean freaked out and Sam making fun of him because of that. Also, nice explanation why the brothers always drive everywhere.
              God. I hate planes. I think we've talked about this before, but Dean's fear of flying is something I relate too. I tend to just get drunk on long flights. The back and forth between Sam and Dean was hilarious. The comedy is something that I miss desperately in this show. Last season was super dark and I tend to prefer it more mixed.

I am getting a little bit tired of “monster of the week” stories. I hope the whole season isn’t like that.
              Well....yeah, the majority of season 1 is MoW, though it does start to get plotty towards the end, but then by season 4 is you miss one episode you're lost beyond reason. It's kind of got a slow intro, but the SPN universe is as big and complex as stargate's. I'm actually finding that season one almost feels like a different show than what I'm used to now. When I started it I had no idea it was going to go the direction is has.

Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary gets extra creepy points because I played this when I was a kid and I was nev-er, ever brave enough to say her name a third time.

This was another episode with a unique spin on common folklore. From what I remember, Mary Worth was accused of killing her own children, not a murdered girl, but I liked the spin SPN gave it (though I wish we would have learned why the Original Mary's eyes were cut out). The mirror think creeps me out though, especially considering they included any reflective surface. She could have been hiding anywhere.

I’m a bit confused though. So Sam had nightmares about Jess’ death? Are they setting him up to be some sort of a seer? Is he going to possess some supernatural abilities too? What about Dean? I’m not sure if I like the idea of human paranormal hunters being paranormal themselves. Hmm. We’ll see.
              Sam. I can't remember exactly when it starts, but season 2 is pretty heavy into what Sam's issue is. It's not anything you'd expect though. I know I was super surprised when I saw it the first time. But, on the flip side, it is the start of one of my biggest complaints of the show, the "something's wrong with Sam, what's wrong with Sammy" issue that seems to get recycled and reused every season.

Oh yes! It's quite obvious who the guys got looks and charm after. The downside is, I'm not sure if my screen can handle so much hotness when the 3 of them eventually meet (they will at some point, won't they?).
              See, this is one of those moments where I have to zip my lips, because man, John is amazing, but Mary turns out to be equally amazing in her own right.

From what I've seen so far, Sam and Dean remind me a lot of Daniel and Jack in SG-1. Apart from their brotherly chemistry, I think they are based on the same archetypes; one is very intellectual, gentler, good with people, empathetic, a diplomat; the other is a soldier with a *seemingly* simplistic look on life and with his own moral code, very down-to-earth and hiding his true emotions. Fortunately, they've both been given enough quirks to make them stand out from many such characters on tv and I'm curious to see how things will develop.
              Actually, I hadn't even thought about that, but you're very right. They are built on the same archetypes. Huh. Though, I have to admit that I love Daniel more than Sam. I'm really excited for you to see Baby!Dean and Baby!Sam in the flashback episodes and what you make them.

Okay, I've actually seen Descent - years ago - and now that you mention if, I can see similarities. But wasn't Descent set in a cave or something?
              It was set in a cave, but the creatures did leave the caves at night and we fast enough to take down grown deer and ate the crap out of humans.

Fred must be my most hated tv character ever. I think I'd prefer even Landry to her, and that says something...
              Lol. Well, I'd take Fred over Vala any day of the week, but I hate that type of character that Fred was. And I hated Illyria and god. I just hated so much about seasons 4 and 5 of Angel.

That's okay, as long as finishing won't take you another 3 weeks...
              Oh man. I've been shamed. *hangs head*

My notes will get better, I promise. I only started taking them after Bloody Mary. I thought I'd remember enough to just be able to write off the top of my head, but I was so, so wrong.

EDIT: Sorry if the words are breaking weird and there are hypens in words that shouldn't be broken up. I don't really know what's going on with word, but it's being wonky.

Comment

Lol. Well, I'd take Fred over Vala any day of the week, but I hate that type of character that Fred was. And I hated Illyria and god. I just hated so much about seasons 4 and 5 of Angel.
                Oww, I actually liked Illyria. It's the only AA's role that I like. But in general, agreed on the last 2 seasons of Angel.

My notes will get better, I promise. I only started taking them after Bloody Mary. I thought I'd remember enough to just be able to write off the top of my head, but I was so, so wrong.
                Ha! Same issue here...

Anyway, it's a new week so here's a new batch of episodes!

Skin

An okay-episode for me, a standard “monster of the week” story - another one

I guess it was a bit more sci-fi than the show usually gets, what with the lack of ghosts and fairly probable explanation of genetic mutation and evolution. The set-up was intriguing, it was nice to see that despite not seeing each other for 2 years the brothers know each other well enough, and are on guard well enough, to recognize when it’s a stranger wearing the other’s skin. I’m also more and more intrigued by their relationship with each other...

What I don’t understand is, why was the mutant killing all those people and why in such a way?

Hookman

Average episode, if I may say so after having seen just 6. It was enjoyable, if a bit too clichéd and predictable at times. Again, pastor seemed too obvious a choice so I guessed prety quickly that it was the daughter. Although I admit that that writing on the wall and a roomamte slaughtered in her bed was scary.

Overall though, the ep was just…not memorable at all.

I’m wondering how do the writers come up with these stories? Are the explanations for the ghosts’ origins totally made up or are they actually researched? Like, was there really a priest murdering prostitutes with his hook and that’s how the legend was born?

Bugs

Ugh. This is definitely the worst ep to date, there were moments when I was struggling to keep my attention on the screen. Plus I’ve been trying to figure out the whole time where had I seen that actor who played the father, and realization that the mother was Peter DeLuise’s wife (and Cam’s girlfriend in SG-1) was another distraction!

Also, as much as I was happy to see Ryan Robbins – adore him – it’s a shame he appeared in such a mediocre episode.

Now, bugs totally freak me out – it’s one of my childhood phobias, one I thankfully grew out of, but I still don’t like the idea of thousands of bugs around me. So this episode should have hit the nerve with me but instead I felt nothing. I wasn’t really involved in the story, I guess. Linking it to the Indians also seemed a bit too American and obvious for my taste. Every American show must have an episode dedicated to the Native Americans, huh? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in my experience such episodes often feel forced and shoeherned and this was no exception. Plus the plotholes, like the night ending so quickly and abruptly. This ep just didn’t work.

On a plus side, I enjoyed making fun of the slash community – which from what you've told me, is huge in this fandom – with the remarks about people of all sexual orientation being welcome. Guest characters and actors were rather good as well.

As to Sam, I find myself a bit surprised by his feelings of being a freak. I mean, I can understand it, but he makes such a huge deal out of it while his brother and father’s actions point to nothing but unconditional love and desire to protect him. It’s just weird. Am I missing something?

Home

Wow. Just wow. It’s definitely the best episode so far and I loved it. Loretta Devine was just icing on the cake. I adore her. I also want to know why was she so snippy towards one brother and so gentle towards the other, dammit!

I really liked how the difference in the brothers’ attitude was explained. It’s obvious why family is so important to Dean, who remembers what happened to his mom, and why he tries so hard to please his father. For Sam this is all just a story he grew up listening to, it’s not as real as for Dean , so it makes sense that he’d be more detached about the whole thing. I’m also curious where they are going with this ‘visions’ storyline, if a bit wary – it has the potential to turn really bad. I guess I’ll see, won’t I?

One more thing. In the pilot I got the impression that Dad knew what was going on – if not specifically, he at least took in stride the fact that his wife was burning on the ceiling and didn’t seem to be freaked out by the demonic ramifications. Plus it’s been mentioned how he was teaching his sons how to hunt etc. So I always thought this was something he did even before his wife’s death. But Home implies that it all started after, and because of, her death. So how was it really? Or will it be explained later on in more detail?

Also, Mary. Nice family they've got there. Just to confirm, that flame person walking out of the closet in the girl's room was Mary as well, right?

All in all, truly great episode. I hope there are many like this one in the future.

Asylum

Another good episode. Just scary enough for me to handle it. Loved the twist with the patients’ ghosts being harmless. The teenager the brothers found was funny (“She kissed me!”) and I enjoyed seeing a strong female for a change, even if it was just a teenage girl. She rocked. The set was also brilliant, possibly the best so far. And the introduction, with the policeman shooting his wife and then himself was good too.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this continuous focus on Sam’s feelings. I mean I’m betting that it’s important to understand what’s going to happen later, but it seems very one-sided to me. I’d love to know what Dean thinks about it all.

Oh, and we hear from dad, finally! Wonder how that will turn out?

Apart from that, I don’t have much to add, I’m afraid.
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Homer 120 View Post
                  Yup! Getting into quite a lot of new shows lately wanted to see what all the fuss was with SUPERNATURAL, oddly I only got interested in the show when people over at tvbythenumbers were complaining about CW when the postponed the start of Season 6.5 until this week.

So far loving it! Just finished Season 1 started Season 2 on Sunday with my Dad
                  Spoiler:
                  was shocked when the father died even tho I saw it coming, still a shock!
                  Well glad you like it, its one of my favorite shows out there this moment. To bad Holland doesnt sell season 4 yet, got the first three seasons, waiting for the fourth to buy it legally

Comment

@Dutchcarterlover: I have a spare copy of season four and a spare copy of the first part of season five. I got the DVDs from the UK; when you're interested, PM me.
                    The cake is a lie!

Comment

So, I actually took notes this time…but it turns out I’m crap at notes. Lol. Still, I think these will be better than last time.

Skin

My first note:
                      Lol. Sam wears women’s underwear. Oh Dean, I love you.

This was an ok episode. Nothing too spectacular, but it kept me entertained.

Pretty heavy on the Dean vs. Sam with regards to having a normal life and I couldn’t help but feel Sam was being naïve in thinking he could have them both. I also liked the insight into Dean’s head and how he’s jealous of Sam and thinks that Sam doesn’t appreciate him.

I rolled my eyes when they split up to search for the shifter. That’s the number one rule in horror/sci-fi. Always stick together because as soon as you split up the ish hits the fan. And it did here too. It was pretty predictable that one of them was going to get duplicated, but since it offered us some nice insight to Dean it doesn’t bother me too much. We need an episode where we can get unfiltered Sam!thoughts, because at this point, he’s coming off a bit whiny to me.

I wish it would have explained why the shifter was targeting women specifically for torture and death. And it’s odd that that Dean Winchester is legally dead.

Hook Man

My first note:
                      Hey jerk, no means no. I hope he dies first.

Like, was there really a priest murdering prostitutes with his hook and that’s how the legend was born?
                      This episode was based pretty heavily on American urban legends. The hookman was origi-nally about an escaped mental patient that terrorizes kids making out on lovers lane told as a moral “sex is bad” lesson. They hear noises; BF investigates then gets hung over the car barely holding on and when the noise scares the girl even more she drives away causing the BF to die. The murdered roommate is an urban legend as well. I’m surprised they didn’t go for pop rocks and soda too. This is all pretty standard stuff for an American audience. There was a movie re-leased in the late 90s (appropriately titled Urban Legend) that features all of the legends in this episode.

So, yeah. An ok episode. I liked the chemistry between Sam and Lori, and I liked that Dean, even though he thinks Sam is crazy, offered Sam the option to stay.

Bugs

My first note:
                      OPRAH! It’s a full circle moment!

I have to be honest. I spent this entire episode thinking “cry more Sam.” Seriously, almost all of my notes for this episode were related to Sam’s creys. The episode was boring so it seems I focused on Sam and his “woe is me” attitude. When Dean told him that John had gone to Stanford as often as he could to check up on him I was like “yeah, suck on that Sammy!” I liked that for the first time Sam seemed to actually care about finding their Dad. Season 1 Sam is really irritating to me. He gets so, so much better.

Blah, blah, blah, Native Americans slaughtered, evil curse, bugs of death. Boring, boring, boring. Though, the real estate lady with the spiders. Man, if a spider that big was ON MY FACE I would have freaked out a lot more than she did.

Also, the kid who played Matt looks super familiar to me, but looking at IMDB nothing else he did jumps out at me. I wonder if I’m just remembering him from when I first saw this episode. Weird.

On a plus side, I enjoyed making fun of the slash community – which from what you've told me, is huge in this fandom – with the remarks about people of all sexual orientation being wel-come.
                      Yes, the slash community is huge in this fandom, particularly Wincest (Sam/Dean) and Dean/Castiel. To be fair though, this show is very much a man’s world and there are some very blatant homoerotic undertones the further in we get. You know me, I slash occasionally, and I can definitely see the appeal of Dean/Cas, but I'll never see the appeal of incest. *shudders*

Home

My first note:
                      Look lady. If your kid is making you brace a chair against the closet door to keep it closed, something is wrong here.

I have to agree with you. Definitely the best of season 1 so far. Loretta Devine is always quality and Missouri was a fun omage to Zelda from the Poltergeist films.

I loved seeing Dean call his father because he didn't know what to do. Like you said, everything that happened is real to Dean, not just a story he was told. Also, knowing what I know now, Mary's "I'm Sorry" is heartbreaking. When we get past season 5 I'm going to make you come back and watch that scene again so I can get your thoughts on it.

But Home implies that it all started after, and because of, her death. So how was it really? Or will it be explained later on in more detail?
                      It's difficult to say without spoiling things, but as far as John is aware, hunting demons and the supernatural only comes comes after Mary's death.

Also, Mary. Nice family they've got there. Just to confirm, that flame person walking out of the closet in the girl's room was Mary as well, right?
                      That was Mary. I love Mary. Mary was haunting the home at the same time as a poltergeist and they sort of cancelled eachother out when they fought.

Supernatural is at it's best when it's examining the familial relationships. I think this episode works so well because while it still had a "monster of the week" it dealt more with the characters and the overarcing plot of the entire series. Very well done episode.

Running out of time, but I'll get my notes on Asylum up tonight hopefully. I loved that episode. Mental institutions freak me right out.
                      Last edited by Ashizuri; 12 July 2011, 11:17 AM. Reason: Spelling errors like woah.

Comment

We need an episode where we can get unfiltered Sam!thoughts, because at this point, he’s coming off a bit whiny to me.
                        Exactly! Right now I just don't get what people see in him.

And it’s odd that that Dean Winchester is legally dead.
                        I forgot about that. At first I thought it was some faked data or something..will it come up again?

This episode was based pretty heavily on American urban legends. The hookman was origi-nally about an escaped mental patient that terrorizes kids making out on lovers lane told as a moral “sex is bad” lesson. They hear noises; BF investigates then gets hung over the car barely holding on and when the noise scares the girl even more she drives away causing the BF to die. The murdered roommate is an urban legend as well. I’m surprised they didn’t go for pop rocks and soda too. This is all pretty standard stuff for an American audience.
                        Now see, this is where our cultural background being different is so evident. I had no idea about this stuff. And damn, it's fascinating. Although now I feel a bit unprepared for watching the series, as I'm sure I'm missing tons of references/in-jokes etc. You'll need to educate me about all this stuff, I'm afraid.

I mean, of course we have urban legends as well, but they are very different and personally I don't know many that would have anything to do with ghosts or anything supernatural for that matter. No hookman, no murdered roommate, no Bloody Mary (I'd never even heard of that game before I watched the episode!) and what the heck is that "pop rocks and soda" you mentioned?

There was a movie re-leased in the late 90s (appropriately titled Urban Legend) that features all of the legends in this episode.
                        Is it very scary or something I can handle?

Season 1 Sam is really irritating to me. He gets so, so much better.
                        Oh, I hope so. *crosses fingers*

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, I'm reading one of the newest SG-1 novels that apparently everybody's in love with, and the thing that bugs me the most is that it features clueless, naive season 1!Daniel when the book is set mid-season 4. It's so annoying when I read another chapter and my first reaction is "No way Daniel would have done this at this point in the series! He's smarter than that!"

Blah, blah, blah, Native Americans slaughtered, evil curse, bugs of death. Boring, boring, boring.

Though, the real estate lady with the spiders. Man, if a spider that big was ON MY FACE I would have freaked out a lot more than she did.
                        Now I'm reminded of that pic of RDA with a huge spider on his face, from the time they filmed Evolution, I think..

Also, the kid who played Matt looks super familiar to me, but looking at IMDB nothing else he did jumps out at me. I wonder if I’m just remembering him from when I first saw this episode. Weird.
                        Actually, the kid looked familiar to me too, but I couldn't place him either. So it's not just you or that episode.

Loretta Devine is always quality and Missouri was a fun omage to Zelda from the Poltergeist films.
                        I admit I had to look up who that Zelda person was, LOL. I don't think I'll ever watch Poltergeist..
                        But Missouri/LD! I loved her, and I hope she'll show up again at some point.

Also, knowing what I know now, Mary's "I'm Sorry" is heartbreaking. When we get past season 5 I'm going to make you come back and watch that scene again so I can get your thoughts on it.
                        Deal. Just keep in mind that comments like these make me even more impatient..

Running out of time, but I'll get my notes on Asylum up tonight hopefully. I loved that episode. Mental institutions freak me right out.
                        Looking forward to reading your thoughts!
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I forgot about that. At first I thought it was some faked data or something..will it come up again?
                          I feel like it has to come up again. There's another rather big plot point where Dean being legally dead would be an issue, but I really can't remember if they bring it up or just ignore it.

Now see, this is where our cultural background being different is so evident. I had no idea about this stuff. And damn, it's fascinating. Although now I feel a bit unprepared for watching the series, as I'm sure I'm missing tons of references/in-jokes etc. You'll need to educate me about all this stuff, I'm afraid.
                          I will try and educate you as best I can, but I feel like so much of this stuff might go over my head because it wont even occur to me that you might not get it, so if that happens, just send me a virtual slap and I'll do my best to explain.

We have load of urban legends, not all of them supernatural. The babysitter and the killer calling from inside the house, the hitch-hiker, the killer hiding in the backseat, the poodle in the microwave. Lol. Most of them are gruesome though.

what the heck is that "pop rocks and soda" you mentioned?
                          Urban legends says that if you mix pop rocks candy (which is a small, sugary snack that fizzles in your mouth and creates the sensation of an explosion) and soda it will cause a chemical reaction that will cause your stomach to explode. Obviously it's not true, but whenever I eat poprocks someone inevitable says "lol, don't drink and soda!!!"

Is it very scary or something I can handle?
                          I don't think it's scary at all. It's also not very good, but some of the legends used are interesting and Jared Leto is super dreamy.

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, I'm reading one of the newest SG-1 novels that apparently everybody's in love with, and the thing that bugs me the most is that it features clueless, naive season 1!Daniel when the book is set mid-season 4. It's so annoying when I read another chapter and my first reaction is "No way Daniel would have done this at this point in the series! He's smarter than that!"
                          I've never read any of the SG1 books. They always seemed like poorly written fanfiction. Are any of them worth my time?

I admit I had to look up who that Zelda person was, LOL. I don't think I'll ever watch Poltergeist.
                          Poltergeist was terrifying.

But Missouri/LD! I loved her, and I hope she'll show up again at some point.
                          Unfortunately, this is the only time we see Missouri.

Asylum

My first note:
                          A mental institution? Oh hale no. No, no, no.

I hate this episode. And by hate I mean love. Mental institutions/sanatoriums and the like freak me out. Horrible, horrible stuff went down in those places. Just like what happened to the patients in this one.

I did lol @ Dean's alias. The kids were fun too, and Kat was the first in what will become a rather long list a fierce female guest stars.

The make-up artists and the set designer for this episode deserve a high five because everything was just. so. creepy. This is definitely more my kind of horror that blood and gore.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this continuous focus on Sam’s feelings. I mean I’m betting that it’s important to understand what’s going to happen later, but it seems very one-sided to me. I’d love to know what Dean thinks about it all.
                          There are a couple of good Dean episodes coming up, I promise!

Comment

I've never read any of the SG1 books. They always seemed like poorly written fanfiction. Are any of them worth my time?
                            I don't think so. If you ever decided to try one, I'd suggest "Survival of the fittest" as IMO it's hands down the best of the lot. Usually with these books the idea is cool and the execution very lacking. Fanfiction I read these days is 1000 times better. Then again, keep in mind that I've read just a few and stayed clear of the 'slashy' ones

Anyway, since SPN keeps me interested and so eager to watch and find out what happens next that I need to stop myself from watching too much at once , onto the new episodes!

Scarecrow

So much after dad then.

Great ep. First of all, the sequence at the beginning was scary. Scarecrow himself was scary as hell as well! Sam showing up at exactly the right place in time was a bit too convenient for my taste, but I’m willing to overlook it.

Tension between the brothers and subsequent argument was really well played and I liked that it felt true to their respective characters. IMO it’s definitely a “tick off the list” episode – show audience why the brothers need to stick together and what a disaster it would be if they decided to part ways – which each show has to do in its (usually) first season to lay down play rules, but it’s excellent. I do think though that when Dean was talking to the couple in that diner the writers took it a bit too far. I mean, he’d been doing it for longer than Sam and had been successful; a few months with his brother and suddenly he can’t manage by himself? I don’t buy that. Then again, this is clearly a set-up episode for the things to come, so I’m willing to overlook it as well.

One thing I don’t get is the tattoo. I don’t understand if the sacrificed male somehow becomes scarecrow or is a scarecrow just an object decorated with body parts of the victims and animated by the god once a year? And if it’s the latter, who does it (the decorating, I mean)?

Now, onto Meg. It seems fairly obvious that we’ll see her again. I’m not sure how I feel about it. I was totally buying her as an innocent person meant to show Sam that he really needs to get back to Dean, but at the bus station she was a bit too insistent on taking Sam with her. And then the ending, of course. I think it was supposed to be a big shock for the audience but for some reason it didn’t quite work for me. Still, we’ll see how it goes.

Faith

You know my big secret? I don’t like Julie Benz. Darla, Rita or Lilah (sp) – they all seem the same to me, due to the way she plays them. So I wasn’t thrilled to see her. Otoh, it was fun to see so many SG-1 actors in one SPN episode: we’ve got Dr Warner, that Captain (Rogers?) from season 3 “Rules of Engagement” and Kelowna’s Minister Dreylock. I admit to being a tad distracted by trying to remember why their faces seem so familiar.

And it’s a shame too, because the ep was good. I figured out the mystery part – swapping death for life and the wife being the culprit – pretty quickly, but the interaction between the brothers was interesting, especially coming on the heels of Scarecrow. The moral dilemma was fascinating as well and I’m glad it was left unresolved and no happy ending was ham fisted.

I was also very happy to see Sam focusing all his attention on Dean for a change, instead of on himself.

Oh, and kudos to JA – he played Dean’s illness, acceptance, skepticism and inner torment really well.

My question is: what’s with Buffy rip-off when it comes to portraying the Reaper? It was actually pretty funny…

Solid episode, if not the best of the bunch.

Route 666

I think it’s the worst episode to date – yes, even worse than Bugs. Now, it wasn’t all bad – I’m turning into Dean fangirl (surprised? I don't think so ) and I enjoyed that little bit of his backstory. Cassie also seemed fine, even if one scene had me cringing…I think they tried really hard to sell her as this strong independent woman who’s not afraid to stand up to Dean – and good for her – but that scene in the house? That was beyond ridiculous. All I could think was: “geez woman, use your brain! Grab that phone and go upstairs, where a car can’t drive! ” But no, she had to turn into whimpering mess sobbing into the phone asking for her boyfriend to come rescue her. Meh, such shame. Still, I hope to see her again in the future.

TBH I found the whole ep pretty ridiculous. I understand that Americans have to deal with their history and that part of the ep wasn’t bad, but…Big Black Hunted Truck? Seriously? I’ll never be able to take it seriously!

And what’s up with running along the asphalt road when you’ve got fields and trees around you, that would slow the car down?

Meh.

Nightmare

Right. I feel like I should be more excited about this ep. It was ok, but it left me rather lukewarm. As soon as I figured out that Max was responsible for the killings – which was pretty obvious fairly early on – I knew he’d kill himself. No surprise there. Actually, I think this is my main beef with the ep. Mystery part was too predictable, while the part with Sam and his visions failed to hold my interest. I hope it will change soon, but for the moment I’m greatly suspicious of this whole storyline; it has potential to turn Sam into Marty Stu and God knows I’m struggling already to like him. I don’t know, there’s something off about him and the ep.

Another meh.

The Benders

A very welcome step up after the mediocrity of the last 2 episodes. It’s another one, after “Scarecrow”, of those “tick off the list” episodes, but it’s nevertheless very interesting and well executed. Kind of reminds me of SG-1’s “Cor-Ai”. SG-1 had to have an ep where Teal’c would need to deal with his past and SPN has to have an ep where evilness comes from “normal” people and not supernatural stuff.

Also, thumbs up for that creepy house – good design. I must mention Missy too, who totally creeped me out, too. Talk about insane. That girl was probably the most scary thing in the whole ep. Took after her father, didn't she?

I was very happy to see Jessica Steen (another Stargate face, LOL), an actress whom I enjoy watching in pretty much everything. And she looks good in dark hair – who would have thought?

Dean’s concern for his younger brother was moving and felt real; I also found it interesting that it was sort of quiet and understated, in stark opposition to desperate, obvious concern Sam displayed in Faith. The show does a good job of showing how different the brothers really are while avoiding turning them into caricatures of the archetypes they are based on. I hope it will continue.

All in all, great episode. Definitely one of my faves (I already rewatched it several times), if not the favourite one yet.
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Oh my god. I suck. I got completely swamped and forgot to reply. Dangit. I promise, promise, promise that I will get it my reviews up tomorrow.

I suck. D:

Comment

Working...
                              X