PDA

View Full Version : New fan of SUPERNATURAL!

Homer 120
January 31st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Yup! Getting into quite a lot of new shows lately wanted to see what all the fuss was with SUPERNATURAL, oddly I only got interested in the show when people over at tvbythenumbers were complaining about CW when the postponed the start of Season 6.5 until this week.

So far loving it! Just finished Season 1 started Season 2 on Sunday with my Dad was shocked when the father died even tho I saw it coming, still a shock!

Petra
July 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM
First of all, my apologies to Homer 120 for hijacking his thread.

The thing is, Ashizuri talked me into giving a Supernatural a try and in the end we decided to have a (re)watch together and of course to discuss episodes as we go, as we love good discussions. While looking for a thread for that, I found this one. I don't see a point of starting a new one, when I'm pretty much a new fan as well. And yes, I know that there's the "My journey through SPN" thread, but hopefully we'll be going at a quicker pace than Puddle Jumper and so we wouldn't want to 1) spoil things for him and 2) step on anyone's toes.

So, here it is. Ash and I hope to discuss 4-5 episodes per week, depending on time. She's a long-time fan doing a rewatch, however I'm watching the series for the first time ever. Because of this, if anyone decides to join in - and everybody's very welcome to do, the more the merrier :) - please use spoiler tags. I try to remain as un-spoiled as possible. ;)

Also, I think it might be a good idea to warn you that we may get a bit snarky and critical at times. :P

These first 'reviews' are very short and I'm afraid they don't make much sense as I wasn't sure what to focus on. Therefore, they are just some loose thoughts, but it will get better (or at least longer and more organised), I promise!

Okay, here goes:

Pilot

I enjoyed it. It’s a good introduction to the series, makes you want to see the next ep which is what pilots are all about. ;)

The stuff with Sam’s girlfriend was way too predictable – you knew she was dead the moment she appeared.

Also, the jump off that bridge was a tad unrealistic too, but as it’s just the pilot I’ll ignore that for now. I hope the show doesn’t make a habit of it. Otoh, the very beginning with the brothers as kids and their mom dying was excellent – just the right mix of being scary and fascinating.

The actor playing dad reminds me of Javier Bardem and I find this pretty distracting ;)

The part with the ghost was good too – that girl was very creepy! I don’t watch horrors – I’m too easy to scare – and this ghost story was something I was comfortable watching, so that’s a big plus for me (not sure about anybody else though). I must say I like how they tackled a pretty much universal ghost story - lady in white - and put their own spin on it. I hope it will continue.

Wendigo

Finn from Glee! ‘nuff said! :P

Okay, seriously. Pretty good 1st episode. I see TPTB chose the well-known route of starting with ‘monster of the week’ stories and in this way easing the audience into the universe they created. I can live with that.

The diary is interesting. It makes sense that something like that would exist, but otoh, I can’t help but thinking it isn’t very thick for something that’s supposed to contain 20+, if not more, years of knowledge. And of course they have a copy of it, don’t they? In case something happens to it?

The story itself was okay. I liked the guest characters, acting was good, forest didn’t look very Canadian for a change (where is this show shot, btw?), the idea of Wendigo was pretty cool and reminded me of The X-Files. I just wish the guy looked more scary…plus I have trouble with buying the theory that with the way he looked he could be so fast as he was shown to be. Mhm.

Dead in the water

Amy Acker. Geez. One of my least-favourite actresses ever. It’s a good thing I’m committed to watching this series with Ash, or I might have skipped this entire episode just because of AA.

And that would be a shame, because it was an enjoyable episode, even despite my initial suspicions that the sheriff had something to do with it, proven right. Interaction between the brothers is fun to watch and it was nice to see them – well, Dean really – bond with another traumatized child, even if the whole thing was a bit clichéd.

In any case, I’m looking forward to the next episode, and that means the show does something right.

Phantom Traveller

I liked this one. It was nice to have a non-corporeal baddie this week, even if the evil cloud reminded me of SG-1’ Anubis :P I think I like the episodes with spirits, demons and rituals more than the ones with corporeal freaks. As someone who loves travelling by plane, I was also pleased to see the episode set in such unorthodox – for a horror/paranormal show – environment. Oh, and it was fun to see Dean freaked out and Sam making fun of him because of that. :D Also, nice explanation why the brothers always drive everywhere.

I was actually happy to see the actor who played the guy requesting Dean's help – he was one of the major characters in Caprica and appeared in the same episode of Fairly Legal in which RDA’s David Smith was introduced, so I have a soft spot for him.

I am getting a little bit tired of “monster of the week” stories. I hope the whole season isn’t like that..

Bloody Mary

Oh, this one was creepy. Seriously. I finished watching it late at night and didn’t feel like going to the bathroom at all. This is why I don’t watch horrors. Mary reminded me of that girl from The Ring (Japanese version) and as Ash knows, I was scared s***less watching that movie! So yeah, it’s probably the scariest ep they’ve done so far. What’s more, I didn’t figure out the plot on my own in advance, so kudos for that.

I’m a bit confused though. So Sam had nightmares about Jess’ death? Are they setting him up to be some sort of a seer? Is he going to possess some supernatural abilities too? What about Dean? I’m not sure if I like the idea of human paranormal hunters being paranormal themselves. Hmm. We’ll see.

RodneyIsGodney
July 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Well, Petra, you've asked a lot of questions that I cannot answer as I would be spoiling upcoming episodes, plot lines and story arcs for you. There is, however, one question that I can answer without spoiling anything...

...specially about Sam. You'll just have to watch and see!

There is only one journal, no copies. It may be small but there are a lot of pages in it with lots of info on just about every John has ever hunted. Remember, looks can be deceiving!

That said, welcome to Supernatural! I hope you enjoy the ridehttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/DeanD.gifhttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/SamD.gif

Ashizuri
July 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
YAY!!! We're finally starting! So glad you decided to give the show a chance, you wont regret it!

Because of this, if anyone decides to join in - and everybody's very welcome to do, the more the merrier :) - please use spoiler tags. I try to remain as un-spoiled as possible.

Ok, I'm going to try very hard to remember to tag anything that might be considered spoilers, but I am apologizing in advance because I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to get on a tangent and say something I probably shouldn't. If I do, just yell at me and I'll fix it quick.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to warn you that we may get a bit snarky and critical at times.

I feel like we should put this disclaimer in our sigs. Lol.

Pilot

The stuff with Sam’s girlfriend was way too predictable – you knew she was dead the moment she appeared.

I agree about Jess’ death. Knowing that the show was going to be about two brothers on the road hunting the supernatural left me with no doubt as to her fate the first time I watched. Still, the scene was intense, with her blood hitting his face before she went up in the flames. And it does tie in nicely with Mary’s death 22 years earlier and leaves you wondering why the women in the Winchester’s lives suffer the same fate. So, yeah, it was predictable, but I think it served its purpose.

The actor playing dad reminds me of Javier Bardem and I find this pretty distract-ing ;)

Papa Winchester is so hot, all scruffy and flannel-y. <3333

And I really liked how the conversation in Sam’s apartment (and throughout the episode) set up the boys opinions on hunting. Dean being Daddy’s little soldier and willing to face the things that go bump in the night vs. Sam resenting the life their father gave them and wanting to leave it behind. This is a plotline that runs through the entire show and I forgot how well it was set up in the beginning.

I also liked the banter between the boys. Sam pretty consistently plays the straight man to Dean’s comedy and I have to say, Dean was hilarious in this episode. His scenes with the cops make me laugh out loud.

I must say I like how they tackled a pretty much universal ghost story - lady in white - and put their own spin on it. I hope it will continue.

Honestly, this is something that Supernatural excels at. Kripke and Co. have a way of taking something we’ve all heard of (and in some cases are bored of) and putting a fresh, interesting spin on it.

Wendigo

Finn from Glee! ‘nuff said! :P

He was so young and baby-faced!

Okay, seriously. Pretty good 1st episode.

Only two episodes in, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far. You’re the second person I’ve gotten into the show. (The other is my BFF and I’ve recently gotten her obsessed with Glee as well!)

The diary is interesting. It makes sense that something like that would exist, but otoh, I can’t help but thinking it isn’t very thick for something that’s supposed to contain 20+, if not more, years of knowledge. And of course they have a copy of it, don’t they? In case something happens to it?

John’s journal is one of a kind, but, if I’m remembering correctly, most other hunters have their own form of it. I can think of at least one other instance of a hunter keeping a journal off the top of my head.

My only real criticism of this episode was that it felt too easy for Sam to just get back into the swing of hunting. Having been out of the game for a few years I expected him to stumble and mess up a bit.

Again, Dean (and his M&M’s) had me laughing. And Sam just looked really good in this episode.

forest didn’t look very Canadian for a change (where is this show shot, btw?)

Interesting that you should say that, because SPN is primarily filmed in Vancouver. Lol.

I just wish the guy looked more scary

You don’t watch horror, so you might not get the reference, but the wendigo reminded me a lot of the creepy mountain people in Descent. Super fast, super smart, eats humans. Makes me wonder if the film based it’s monsters on the wendigo or similar lore.

Dead in the water

Not gonna lie, I really didn’t like this episode. I’m not a huge Amy Acker fan (I hated her back on Angel) so I sort of….watched this episode without paying huge amounts of attention to it.

I liked that the tension between Sam and Dean about hunting in general vs. just finding their father and the thing that killed Jess is still present.

I thought it was odd that the sheriff was so quick to dismiss there being some type of carnivorous animal in the lake even though there were three drowning’s and no bodies recovered. One body not found wouldn’t seem like such a big deal, but three bodies in a shrinking lake is suspicious, especially considering the 6 bodies that were never found from previous drownings.

Dean’s crap pick-up lines are golden. This is also the first glimpse we get of Dean being a big old softy at heart. <3
I also liked the double-layered meaning in Sam’s line “Kids are strong. You'd be surprised what they can deal with.” It takes on more meaning once we start to get real glimpses of Sam and Dean’s childhood.

The drowning in the sink was creepy and this is about where I zoned out. Dead kid haunting the lake, bent on revenge. The story is sad in theory, but I just couldn’t get into it. I’m glad Lucas made it out alive though, the kid was pretty cute.

Ok, I'm going to end this here for now. Hopefully I can get the rest finished tonight or tomorrow, but my laptop is about to die and I need to find the charger.

Petra
July 6th, 2011, 12:24 AM
There is only one journal, no copies. It may be small but there are a lot of pages in it with lots of info on just about every John has ever hunted. Remember, looks can be deceiving!

Apparently. :P

So you are saying that I don't have to worry about it being stolen or destroyed and having the brothers totally on their own? I guess that's my biggest concern; that one of those things they battle would realise how important the journal is and destroy or at least take it.

That said, welcome to Supernatural! I hope you enjoy the ridehttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/DeanD.gifhttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/SamD.gif

Thank you! From what I've seen so far, I'm sure I will! :)

And I've just got to say that it's a lovely smilie you have there.

YAY!!! We're finally starting! So glad you decided to give the show a chance, you wont regret it!

:D

I feel like we should put this disclaimer in our sigs. Lol.

Hey, there's an idea! :D *looks at her own sig and how crowded it already is* Maybe not. :D

I agree about Jess’ death. Knowing that the show was going to be about two brothers on the road hunting the supernatural left me with no doubt as to her fate the first time I watched. Still, the scene was intense, with her blood hitting his face before she went up in the flames. And it does tie in nicely with Mary’s death 22 years earlier and leaves you wondering why the women in the Winchester’s lives suffer the same fate. So, yeah, it was predictable, but I think it served its purpose.

Oh, absolutely. Given how Sam goes on and on about this "normal live" of his and how he's done with hunting etc. I'm sure nothing less would have worked. And I know that it's just a pilot, meant to set things up, and that's okay. The scene was well done too, just...predictable.

Papa Winchester is so hot, all scruffy and flannel-y. <3333

Oh yes! It's quite obvious who the guys got looks and charm after. The downside is, I'm not sure if my screen can handle so much hotness when the 3 of them eventually meet (they will at some point, won't they?). :D

I need to find some pics of him.

And I really liked how the conversation in Sam’s apartment (and throughout the episode) set up the boys opinions on hunting. Dean being Daddy’s little soldier and willing to face the things that go bump in the night vs. Sam resenting the life their father gave them and wanting to leave it behind. This is a plotline that runs through the entire show and I forgot how well it was set up in the beginning.

From what I've seen so far, Sam and Dean remind me a lot of Daniel and Jack in SG-1. Apart from their brotherly chemistry, I think they are based on the same archetypes; one is very intellectual, gentler, good with people, empathetic, a diplomat; the other is a soldier with a *seemingly* simplistic look on life and with his own moral code, very down-to-earth and hiding his true emotions. Fortunately, they've both been given enough quirks to make them stand out from many such characters on tv and I'm curious to see how things will develop.

You’re the second person I’ve gotten into the show. (The other is my BFF and I’ve recently gotten her obsessed with Glee as well!)

Didn't she watch SGU as well? Looks like I'm in good company! :D

My only real criticism of this episode was that it felt too easy for Sam to just get back into the swing of hunting. Having been out of the game for a few years I expected him to stumble and mess up a bit.

Good point.

Interesting that you should say that, because SPN is primarily filmed in Vancouver. Lol.

D'oh! Although it explains why it rains so often on this show.

You don’t watch horror, so you might not get the reference, but the wendigo reminded me a lot of the creepy mountain people in Descent. Super fast, super smart, eats humans. Makes me wonder if the film based it’s monsters on the wendigo or similar lore.

Okay, I've actually seen Descent - years ago - and now that you mention if, I can see similarities. But wasn't Descent set in a cave or something?

I’m not a huge Amy Acker fan (I hated her back on Angel) so I sort of….watched this episode without paying huge amounts of attention to it.

You too, huh? Why doesn't it surprise me? :P

Fred must be my most hated tv character ever. I think I'd prefer even Landry to her, and that says something...That said, after I got over my initial reaction of: "Oh no, Amy Acker! Turn it off!" the episode was quite enjoyable, if a bit too predictable again. I guess that just like with 'lady in white' motif, I enjoyed SPN's spin on the "there's something in the lake" story.

Ok, I'm going to end this here for now. Hopefully I can get the rest finished tonight or tomorrow, but my laptop is about to die and I need to find the charger.

That's okay, as long as finishing won't take you another 3 weeks... :P:P:P

RodneyIsGodney
July 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Apparently. :P
Yep.;)

So you are saying that I don't have to worry about it being stolen or destroyed and having the brothers totally on their own? I guess that's my biggest concern; that one of those things they battle would realise how important the journal is and destroy or at least take it.
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.;) I would be heart broken for Dean and Sam if that book ever left their possession.

Thank you! From what I've seen so far, I'm sure I will! :)
You're welcome.:D

And I've just got to say that it's a lovely smilie you have there.
Thanks you but...I didn't make them. Myn McGeek made them.

Here's the link to her PB album with the rest if you wanna have a look-see...
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/

Ashizuri
July 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Phantom Traveller

I loved this episode. Probably one of my favorite from season 1. I really liked the Amanda character. Not only did I think the actress was very pretty, but she thanked them at the end, and considering how rarely the boys get thanked I always appreciate the characters who do.

I wish they had explained why the demon was crashing planes. I guess I can kind of understand why it would want to make sure everyone on the plane died, but why was it killing people in the first place?

It was nice to have a non-corporeal baddie this week, even if the evil cloud reminded me of SG-1’ Anubis :P I think I like the episodes with spirits, demons and rituals more than the ones with corporeal freaks.

This episode was funny for me because it made me think about how different the demon exorcism thing is dealt with throughout the show. I think this is the only time that the second incantation to send demons back to hell is used. Honestly, I had forgotten completely about it.

As someone who loves travelling by plane, I was also pleased to see the episode set in such unorthodox – for a horror/paranormal show – environment. Oh, and it was fun to see Dean freaked out and Sam making fun of him because of that. :D Also, nice explanation why the brothers always drive everywhere.

God. I hate planes. I think we've talked about this before, but Dean's fear of flying is something I relate too. I tend to just get drunk on long flights. The back and forth between Sam and Dean was hilarious. The comedy is something that I miss desperately in this show. Last season was super dark and I tend to prefer it more mixed.

I am getting a little bit tired of “monster of the week” stories. I hope the whole season isn’t like that.

Well....yeah, the majority of season 1 is MoW, though it does start to get plotty towards the end, but then by season 4 is you miss one episode you're lost beyond reason. It's kind of got a slow intro, but the SPN universe is as big and complex as stargate's. I'm actually finding that season one almost feels like a different show than what I'm used to now. When I started it I had no idea it was going to go the direction is has.

Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary gets extra creepy points because I played this when I was a kid and I was nev-er, ever brave enough to say her name a third time.

This was another episode with a unique spin on common folklore. From what I remember, Mary Worth was accused of killing her own children, not a murdered girl, but I liked the spin SPN gave it (though I wish we would have learned why the Original Mary's eyes were cut out). The mirror think creeps me out though, especially considering they included any reflective surface. She could have been hiding anywhere.

I’m a bit confused though. So Sam had nightmares about Jess’ death? Are they setting him up to be some sort of a seer? Is he going to possess some supernatural abilities too? What about Dean? I’m not sure if I like the idea of human paranormal hunters being paranormal themselves. Hmm. We’ll see.

Sam. I can't remember exactly when it starts, but season 2 is pretty heavy into what Sam's issue is. It's not anything you'd expect though. I know I was super surprised when I saw it the first time. But, on the flip side, it is the start of one of my biggest complaints of the show, the "something's wrong with Sam, what's wrong with Sammy" issue that seems to get recycled and reused every season.

Oh yes! It's quite obvious who the guys got looks and charm after. The downside is, I'm not sure if my screen can handle so much hotness when the 3 of them eventually meet (they will at some point, won't they?).

See, this is one of those moments where I have to zip my lips, because man, John is amazing, but Mary turns out to be equally amazing in her own right.

From what I've seen so far, Sam and Dean remind me a lot of Daniel and Jack in SG-1. Apart from their brotherly chemistry, I think they are based on the same archetypes; one is very intellectual, gentler, good with people, empathetic, a diplomat; the other is a soldier with a *seemingly* simplistic look on life and with his own moral code, very down-to-earth and hiding his true emotions. Fortunately, they've both been given enough quirks to make them stand out from many such characters on tv and I'm curious to see how things will develop.

Actually, I hadn't even thought about that, but you're very right. They are built on the same archetypes. Huh. Though, I have to admit that I love Daniel more than Sam. I'm really excited for you to see Baby!Dean and Baby!Sam in the flashback episodes and what you make them.

Okay, I've actually seen Descent - years ago - and now that you mention if, I can see similarities. But wasn't Descent set in a cave or something?

It was set in a cave, but the creatures did leave the caves at night and we fast enough to take down grown deer and ate the crap out of humans.

Fred must be my most hated tv character ever. I think I'd prefer even Landry to her, and that says something...

Lol. Well, I'd take Fred over Vala any day of the week, but I hate that type of character that Fred was. And I hated Illyria and god. I just hated so much about seasons 4 and 5 of Angel.

That's okay, as long as finishing won't take you another 3 weeks... :P:P:P

Oh man. I've been shamed. *hangs head*

My notes will get better, I promise. I only started taking them after Bloody Mary. I thought I'd remember enough to just be able to write off the top of my head, but I was so, so wrong.

EDIT: Sorry if the words are breaking weird and there are hypens in words that shouldn't be broken up. I don't really know what's going on with word, but it's being wonky.

Petra
July 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Lol. Well, I'd take Fred over Vala any day of the week, but I hate that type of character that Fred was. And I hated Illyria and god. I just hated so much about seasons 4 and 5 of Angel.

Oww, I actually liked Illyria. It's the only AA's role that I like. But in general, agreed on the last 2 seasons of Angel.

My notes will get better, I promise. I only started taking them after Bloody Mary. I thought I'd remember enough to just be able to write off the top of my head, but I was so, so wrong.

Ha! Same issue here...

Anyway, it's a new week so here's a new batch of episodes! :D

Skin

An okay-episode for me, a standard “monster of the week” story - another one ;)

I guess it was a bit more sci-fi than the show usually gets, what with the lack of ghosts and fairly probable explanation of genetic mutation and evolution. The set-up was intriguing, it was nice to see that despite not seeing each other for 2 years the brothers know each other well enough, and are on guard well enough, to recognize when it’s a stranger wearing the other’s skin. I’m also more and more intrigued by their relationship with each other...

What I don’t understand is, why was the mutant killing all those people and why in such a way?

Hookman

Average episode, if I may say so after having seen just 6. It was enjoyable, if a bit too clichéd and predictable at times. Again, pastor seemed too obvious a choice so I guessed prety quickly that it was the daughter. Although I admit that that writing on the wall and a roomamte slaughtered in her bed was scary.

Overall though, the ep was just…not memorable at all.

I’m wondering how do the writers come up with these stories? Are the explanations for the ghosts’ origins totally made up or are they actually researched? Like, was there really a priest murdering prostitutes with his hook and that’s how the legend was born?

Bugs

Ugh. This is definitely the worst ep to date, there were moments when I was struggling to keep my attention on the screen. Plus I’ve been trying to figure out the whole time where had I seen that actor who played the father, and realization that the mother was Peter DeLuise’s wife (and Cam’s girlfriend in SG-1) was another distraction!

Also, as much as I was happy to see Ryan Robbins – adore him – it’s a shame he appeared in such a mediocre episode.

Now, bugs totally freak me out – it’s one of my childhood phobias, one I thankfully grew out of, but I still don’t like the idea of thousands of bugs around me. So this episode should have hit the nerve with me but instead I felt nothing. I wasn’t really involved in the story, I guess. Linking it to the Indians also seemed a bit too American and obvious for my taste. Every American show must have an episode dedicated to the Native Americans, huh? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in my experience such episodes often feel forced and shoeherned and this was no exception. Plus the plotholes, like the night ending so quickly and abruptly. This ep just didn’t work.

On a plus side, I enjoyed making fun of the slash community – which from what you've told me, is huge in this fandom – with the remarks about people of all sexual orientation being welcome. :D Guest characters and actors were rather good as well.

As to Sam, I find myself a bit surprised by his feelings of being a freak. I mean, I can understand it, but he makes such a huge deal out of it while his brother and father’s actions point to nothing but unconditional love and desire to protect him. It’s just weird. Am I missing something?

Home

Wow. Just wow. It’s definitely the best episode so far and I loved it. Loretta Devine was just icing on the cake. I adore her. I also want to know why was she so snippy towards one brother and so gentle towards the other, dammit!

I really liked how the difference in the brothers’ attitude was explained. It’s obvious why family is so important to Dean, who remembers what happened to his mom, and why he tries so hard to please his father. For Sam this is all just a story he grew up listening to, it’s not as real as for Dean , so it makes sense that he’d be more detached about the whole thing. I’m also curious where they are going with this ‘visions’ storyline, if a bit wary – it has the potential to turn really bad. I guess I’ll see, won’t I?

One more thing. In the pilot I got the impression that Dad knew what was going on – if not specifically, he at least took in stride the fact that his wife was burning on the ceiling and didn’t seem to be freaked out by the demonic ramifications. Plus it’s been mentioned how he was teaching his sons how to hunt etc. So I always thought this was something he did even before his wife’s death. But Home implies that it all started after, and because of, her death. So how was it really? Or will it be explained later on in more detail?

Also, Mary. Nice family they've got there. :D Just to confirm, that flame person walking out of the closet in the girl's room was Mary as well, right?

All in all, truly great episode. I hope there are many like this one in the future.

Asylum

Another good episode. Just scary enough for me to handle it. :D Loved the twist with the patients’ ghosts being harmless. The teenager the brothers found was funny (“She kissed me!”) and I enjoyed seeing a strong female for a change, even if it was just a teenage girl. She rocked. The set was also brilliant, possibly the best so far. And the introduction, with the policeman shooting his wife and then himself was good too.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this continuous focus on Sam’s feelings. I mean I’m betting that it’s important to understand what’s going to happen later, but it seems very one-sided to me. I’d love to know what Dean thinks about it all.

Oh, and we hear from dad, finally! Wonder how that will turn out?

Apart from that, I don’t have much to add, I’m afraid.

DutchCarterLover
July 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Yup! Getting into quite a lot of new shows lately wanted to see what all the fuss was with SUPERNATURAL, oddly I only got interested in the show when people over at tvbythenumbers were complaining about CW when the postponed the start of Season 6.5 until this week.

So far loving it! Just finished Season 1 started Season 2 on Sunday with my Dad was shocked when the father died even tho I saw it coming, still a shock!

Well glad you like it, its one of my favorite shows out there this moment. To bad Holland doesnt sell season 4 yet, got the first three seasons, waiting for the fourth to buy it legally :)

iolanda
July 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
@Dutchcarterlover: I have a spare copy of season four and a spare copy of the first part of season five. I got the DVDs from the UK; when you're interested, PM me.

Ashizuri
July 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
So, I actually took notes this time…but it turns out I’m crap at notes. Lol. Still, I think these will be better than last time.

Skin

My first note:
Lol. Sam wears women’s underwear. Oh Dean, I love you.

This was an ok episode. Nothing too spectacular, but it kept me entertained.

Pretty heavy on the Dean vs. Sam with regards to having a normal life and I couldn’t help but feel Sam was being naïve in thinking he could have them both. I also liked the insight into Dean’s head and how he’s jealous of Sam and thinks that Sam doesn’t appreciate him.

I rolled my eyes when they split up to search for the shifter. That’s the number one rule in horror/sci-fi. Always stick together because as soon as you split up the ish hits the fan. And it did here too. It was pretty predictable that one of them was going to get duplicated, but since it offered us some nice insight to Dean it doesn’t bother me too much. We need an episode where we can get unfiltered Sam!thoughts, because at this point, he’s coming off a bit whiny to me.

I wish it would have explained why the shifter was targeting women specifically for torture and death. And it’s odd that that Dean Winchester is legally dead.

Hook Man

My first note:
Hey jerk, no means no. I hope he dies first.

Like, was there really a priest murdering prostitutes with his hook and that’s how the legend was born?

This episode was based pretty heavily on American urban legends. The hookman was origi-nally about an escaped mental patient that terrorizes kids making out on lovers lane told as a moral “sex is bad” lesson. They hear noises; BF investigates then gets hung over the car barely holding on and when the noise scares the girl even more she drives away causing the BF to die. The murdered roommate is an urban legend as well. I’m surprised they didn’t go for pop rocks and soda too. This is all pretty standard stuff for an American audience. There was a movie re-leased in the late 90s (appropriately titled Urban Legend) that features all of the legends in this episode.

So, yeah. An ok episode. I liked the chemistry between Sam and Lori, and I liked that Dean, even though he thinks Sam is crazy, offered Sam the option to stay.

Bugs

My first note:
OPRAH! It’s a full circle moment!

I have to be honest. I spent this entire episode thinking “cry more Sam.” Seriously, almost all of my notes for this episode were related to Sam’s creys. The episode was boring so it seems I focused on Sam and his “woe is me” attitude. When Dean told him that John had gone to Stanford as often as he could to check up on him I was like “yeah, suck on that Sammy!” I liked that for the first time Sam seemed to actually care about finding their Dad. Season 1 Sam is really irritating to me. He gets so, so much better.

Blah, blah, blah, Native Americans slaughtered, evil curse, bugs of death. Boring, boring, boring. Though, the real estate lady with the spiders. Man, if a spider that big was ON MY FACE I would have freaked out a lot more than she did.

Also, the kid who played Matt looks super familiar to me, but looking at IMDB nothing else he did jumps out at me. I wonder if I’m just remembering him from when I first saw this episode. Weird.

On a plus side, I enjoyed making fun of the slash community – which from what you've told me, is huge in this fandom – with the remarks about people of all sexual orientation being wel-come.

Yes, the slash community is huge in this fandom, particularly Wincest (Sam/Dean) and Dean/Castiel. To be fair though, this show is very much a man’s world and there are some very blatant homoerotic undertones the further in we get. You know me, I slash occasionally, and I can definitely see the appeal of Dean/Cas, but I'll never see the appeal of incest. *shudders*

Home

My first note:
Look lady. If your kid is making you brace a chair against the closet door to keep it closed, something is wrong here.

I have to agree with you. Definitely the best of season 1 so far. Loretta Devine is always quality and Missouri was a fun omage to Zelda from the Poltergeist films.

I loved seeing Dean call his father because he didn't know what to do. Like you said, everything that happened is real to Dean, not just a story he was told. Also, knowing what I know now, Mary's "I'm Sorry" is heartbreaking. When we get past season 5 I'm going to make you come back and watch that scene again so I can get your thoughts on it.

But Home implies that it all started after, and because of, her death. So how was it really? Or will it be explained later on in more detail?

It's difficult to say without spoiling things, but as far as John is aware, hunting demons and the supernatural only comes comes after Mary's death.

Also, Mary. Nice family they've got there. :D Just to confirm, that flame person walking out of the closet in the girl's room was Mary as well, right?

That was Mary. I love Mary. Mary was haunting the home at the same time as a poltergeist and they sort of cancelled eachother out when they fought.

Supernatural is at it's best when it's examining the familial relationships. I think this episode works so well because while it still had a "monster of the week" it dealt more with the characters and the overarcing plot of the entire series. Very well done episode.

Running out of time, but I'll get my notes on Asylum up tonight hopefully. I loved that episode. Mental institutions freak me right out.

Petra
July 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM
We need an episode where we can get unfiltered Sam!thoughts, because at this point, he’s coming off a bit whiny to me.

Exactly! Right now I just don't get what people see in him.

And it’s odd that that Dean Winchester is legally dead.

I forgot about that. At first I thought it was some faked data or something..will it come up again?

This episode was based pretty heavily on American urban legends. The hookman was origi-nally about an escaped mental patient that terrorizes kids making out on lovers lane told as a moral “sex is bad” lesson. They hear noises; BF investigates then gets hung over the car barely holding on and when the noise scares the girl even more she drives away causing the BF to die. The murdered roommate is an urban legend as well. I’m surprised they didn’t go for pop rocks and soda too. This is all pretty standard stuff for an American audience.

Now see, this is where our cultural background being different is so evident. I had no idea about this stuff. And damn, it's fascinating. Although now I feel a bit unprepared for watching the series, as I'm sure I'm missing tons of references/in-jokes etc. You'll need to educate me about all this stuff, I'm afraid. :D

I mean, of course we have urban legends as well, but they are very different and personally I don't know many that would have anything to do with ghosts or anything supernatural for that matter. No hookman, no murdered roommate, no Bloody Mary (I'd never even heard of that game before I watched the episode!) and what the heck is that "pop rocks and soda" you mentioned?

There was a movie re-leased in the late 90s (appropriately titled Urban Legend) that features all of the legends in this episode.

Is it very scary or something I can handle? :P

Season 1 Sam is really irritating to me. He gets so, so much better.

Oh, I hope so. *crosses fingers*

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, I'm reading one of the newest SG-1 novels that apparently everybody's in love with, and the thing that bugs me the most is that it features clueless, naive season 1!Daniel when the book is set mid-season 4. It's so annoying when I read another chapter and my first reaction is "No way Daniel would have done this at this point in the series! He's smarter than that!"

Blah, blah, blah, Native Americans slaughtered, evil curse, bugs of death. Boring, boring, boring.

:lol:

Though, the real estate lady with the spiders. Man, if a spider that big was ON MY FACE I would have freaked out a lot more than she did.

Now I'm reminded of that pic of RDA with a huge spider on his face, from the time they filmed Evolution, I think..

Also, the kid who played Matt looks super familiar to me, but looking at IMDB nothing else he did jumps out at me. I wonder if I’m just remembering him from when I first saw this episode. Weird.

Actually, the kid looked familiar to me too, but I couldn't place him either. So it's not just you or that episode.

Loretta Devine is always quality and Missouri was a fun omage to Zelda from the Poltergeist films.

I admit I had to look up who that Zelda person was, LOL. I don't think I'll ever watch Poltergeist.. :P
But Missouri/LD! I loved her, and I hope she'll show up again at some point.

Also, knowing what I know now, Mary's "I'm Sorry" is heartbreaking. When we get past season 5 I'm going to make you come back and watch that scene again so I can get your thoughts on it.

Deal. Just keep in mind that comments like these make me even more impatient..:P

Running out of time, but I'll get my notes on Asylum up tonight hopefully. I loved that episode. Mental institutions freak me right out.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Ashizuri
July 14th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I forgot about that. At first I thought it was some faked data or something..will it come up again?

I feel like it has to come up again. There's another rather big plot point where Dean being legally dead would be an issue, but I really can't remember if they bring it up or just ignore it.

Now see, this is where our cultural background being different is so evident. I had no idea about this stuff. And damn, it's fascinating. Although now I feel a bit unprepared for watching the series, as I'm sure I'm missing tons of references/in-jokes etc. You'll need to educate me about all this stuff, I'm afraid. :D

I will try and educate you as best I can, but I feel like so much of this stuff might go over my head because it wont even occur to me that you might not get it, so if that happens, just send me a virtual slap and I'll do my best to explain.

We have load of urban legends, not all of them supernatural. The babysitter and the killer calling from inside the house, the hitch-hiker, the killer hiding in the backseat, the poodle in the microwave. Lol. Most of them are gruesome though.

what the heck is that "pop rocks and soda" you mentioned?

Urban legends says that if you mix pop rocks candy (which is a small, sugary snack that fizzles in your mouth and creates the sensation of an explosion) and soda it will cause a chemical reaction that will cause your stomach to explode. Obviously it's not true, but whenever I eat poprocks someone inevitable says "lol, don't drink and soda!!!"

Is it very scary or something I can handle?

I don't think it's scary at all. It's also not very good, but some of the legends used are interesting and Jared Leto is super dreamy.

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, I'm reading one of the newest SG-1 novels that apparently everybody's in love with, and the thing that bugs me the most is that it features clueless, naive season 1!Daniel when the book is set mid-season 4. It's so annoying when I read another chapter and my first reaction is "No way Daniel would have done this at this point in the series! He's smarter than that!"

I've never read any of the SG1 books. They always seemed like poorly written fanfiction. Are any of them worth my time?

I admit I had to look up who that Zelda person was, LOL. I don't think I'll ever watch Poltergeist.

Poltergeist was terrifying.

But Missouri/LD! I loved her, and I hope she'll show up again at some point.

Unfortunately, this is the only time we see Missouri. :(

Asylum

My first note:
A mental institution? Oh hale no. No, no, no.

I hate this episode. And by hate I mean love. Mental institutions/sanatoriums and the like freak me out. Horrible, horrible stuff went down in those places. Just like what happened to the patients in this one.

I did lol @ Dean's alias. The kids were fun too, and Kat was the first in what will become a rather long list a fierce female guest stars.

The make-up artists and the set designer for this episode deserve a high five because everything was just. so. creepy. This is definitely more my kind of horror that blood and gore.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this continuous focus on Sam’s feelings. I mean I’m betting that it’s important to understand what’s going to happen later, but it seems very one-sided to me. I’d love to know what Dean thinks about it all.

There are a couple of good Dean episodes coming up, I promise!

Petra
July 18th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I've never read any of the SG1 books. They always seemed like poorly written fanfiction. Are any of them worth my time?

I don't think so. If you ever decided to try one, I'd suggest "Survival of the fittest" as IMO it's hands down the best of the lot. Usually with these books the idea is cool and the execution very lacking. Fanfiction I read these days is 1000 times better. Then again, keep in mind that I've read just a few and stayed clear of the 'slashy' ones :P

Anyway, since SPN keeps me interested and so eager to watch and find out what happens next that I need to stop myself from watching too much at once ;), onto the new episodes!

Scarecrow

So much after dad then.

Great ep. First of all, the sequence at the beginning was scary. Scarecrow himself was scary as hell as well! Sam showing up at exactly the right place in time was a bit too convenient for my taste, but I’m willing to overlook it.

Tension between the brothers and subsequent argument was really well played and I liked that it felt true to their respective characters. IMO it’s definitely a “tick off the list” episode – show audience why the brothers need to stick together and what a disaster it would be if they decided to part ways – which each show has to do in its (usually) first season to lay down play rules, but it’s excellent. I do think though that when Dean was talking to the couple in that diner the writers took it a bit too far. I mean, he’d been doing it for longer than Sam and had been successful; a few months with his brother and suddenly he can’t manage by himself? I don’t buy that. Then again, this is clearly a set-up episode for the things to come, so I’m willing to overlook it as well.

One thing I don’t get is the tattoo. I don’t understand if the sacrificed male somehow becomes scarecrow or is a scarecrow just an object decorated with body parts of the victims and animated by the god once a year? And if it’s the latter, who does it (the decorating, I mean)?

Now, onto Meg. It seems fairly obvious that we’ll see her again. I’m not sure how I feel about it. I was totally buying her as an innocent person meant to show Sam that he really needs to get back to Dean, but at the bus station she was a bit too insistent on taking Sam with her. And then the ending, of course. I think it was supposed to be a big shock for the audience but for some reason it didn’t quite work for me. Still, we’ll see how it goes.

Faith

You know my big secret? I don’t like Julie Benz. Darla, Rita or Lilah (sp) – they all seem the same to me, due to the way she plays them. So I wasn’t thrilled to see her. Otoh, it was fun to see so many SG-1 actors in one SPN episode: we’ve got Dr Warner, that Captain (Rogers?) from season 3 “Rules of Engagement” and Kelowna’s Minister Dreylock. I admit to being a tad distracted by trying to remember why their faces seem so familiar. :o

And it’s a shame too, because the ep was good. I figured out the mystery part – swapping death for life and the wife being the culprit – pretty quickly, but the interaction between the brothers was interesting, especially coming on the heels of Scarecrow. The moral dilemma was fascinating as well and I’m glad it was left unresolved and no happy ending was ham fisted.

I was also very happy to see Sam focusing all his attention on Dean for a change, instead of on himself.

Oh, and kudos to JA – he played Dean’s illness, acceptance, skepticism and inner torment really well.

My question is: what’s with Buffy rip-off when it comes to portraying the Reaper? It was actually pretty funny…

Solid episode, if not the best of the bunch.

Route 666

I think it’s the worst episode to date – yes, even worse than Bugs. Now, it wasn’t all bad – I’m turning into Dean fangirl (surprised? I don't think so :D) and I enjoyed that little bit of his backstory. Cassie also seemed fine, even if one scene had me cringing…I think they tried really hard to sell her as this strong independent woman who’s not afraid to stand up to Dean – and good for her – but that scene in the house? That was beyond ridiculous. All I could think was: “geez woman, use your brain! Grab that phone and go upstairs, where a car can’t drive! :rolleyes:” But no, she had to turn into whimpering mess sobbing into the phone asking for her boyfriend to come rescue her. Meh, such shame. Still, I hope to see her again in the future.

TBH I found the whole ep pretty ridiculous. I understand that Americans have to deal with their history and that part of the ep wasn’t bad, but…Big Black Hunted Truck? Seriously? I’ll never be able to take it seriously!

And what’s up with running along the asphalt road when you’ve got fields and trees around you, that would slow the car down?

Meh.

Nightmare

Right. I feel like I should be more excited about this ep. It was ok, but it left me rather lukewarm. As soon as I figured out that Max was responsible for the killings – which was pretty obvious fairly early on – I knew he’d kill himself. No surprise there. Actually, I think this is my main beef with the ep. Mystery part was too predictable, while the part with Sam and his visions failed to hold my interest. I hope it will change soon, but for the moment I’m greatly suspicious of this whole storyline; it has potential to turn Sam into Marty Stu and God knows I’m struggling already to like him. I don’t know, there’s something off about him and the ep.

Another meh.

The Benders

A very welcome step up after the mediocrity of the last 2 episodes. It’s another one, after “Scarecrow”, of those “tick off the list” episodes, but it’s nevertheless very interesting and well executed. Kind of reminds me of SG-1’s “Cor-Ai”. SG-1 had to have an ep where Teal’c would need to deal with his past and SPN has to have an ep where evilness comes from “normal” people and not supernatural stuff.

Also, thumbs up for that creepy house – good design. I must mention Missy too, who totally creeped me out, too. Talk about insane. That girl was probably the most scary thing in the whole ep. Took after her father, didn't she?

I was very happy to see Jessica Steen (another Stargate face, LOL), an actress whom I enjoy watching in pretty much everything. And she looks good in dark hair – who would have thought? ;)

Dean’s concern for his younger brother was moving and felt real; I also found it interesting that it was sort of quiet and understated, in stark opposition to desperate, obvious concern Sam displayed in Faith. The show does a good job of showing how different the brothers really are while avoiding turning them into caricatures of the archetypes they are based on. I hope it will continue.

All in all, great episode. Definitely one of my faves (I already rewatched it several times), if not the favourite one yet.

Ashizuri
July 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Oh my god. I suck. I got completely swamped and forgot to reply. Dangit. I promise, promise, promise that I will get it my reviews up tomorrow.

I suck. D:

Ashizuri
July 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Finally getting here!!

I don't think so. If you ever decided to try one, I'd suggest "Survival of the fittest" as IMO it's hands down the best of the lot.

Huh. Ill check my local Barnes and Noble. If I can find it in a discount bin I might give it a chance.

Scarecrow

Yeah, not really a lot of John. Admittedly though, I like that they keep him such a mystery. It adds to the suspense.

It was super weird to hear them talking about heading to Sacramento, since thats where I live. Then again, come to me Dean. I WILL LOVE YOU!! Lol. (And bring your dad. And Sam can come too I guess.)

I agree that the argument between the brothers was well done, if predictable. When the writing is shakey on this show the cast always rises above. I agree that it was a bit too soon for Dean to act like he couldnt go on without Sam, but this is laying down the SAM AND DEAN CANNOT FUNCTION WITHOUT EACH OTHER message that is the foundation the show is built on. I did think that their apologies to each other were super sweet.

As for the tattoo, I think the scarecrow wore the skin of its sacrifices. Again, Im pulling on knowledge from other stories (the films Husk and Jeepers Creepers and the short story Harold from a book of horror stories called Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Scarecrows in American horror have generally always taken bits of flesh from their victims, either by skinning them or consuming them.

Meg. I LOVE Meg. And I really, really like the actress that plays her. Youre correct in thinking that well see her again and she has a very large role to play.

Faith

Im not a huge Julie Benz fan either. I think shes pretty, but thats about it. And the less said about Darla and Angels Beige Arc the better. And lol, I didnt recognize any of those SG people.

Going back and reading Kripke interviews now, theres a particular quote about this episode that really stands out. "It's when I first realized what the show was capable of. Here's this episode about: Is there a god? What's meant to be? And is there free will? And is your life worth the cost of someone else's life? It's a metaphysical and moral study of the boys' universe. And that really sums up what the show becomes. Its crazy how well planned this show is.

I loved this episode, purely because of the interactions between Sam and Dean. Like you, I cottoned on to the mystery as soon as they said the healthy young man had a heart attack, but I think this episode was more about the moral ambiguity of what was happening than the mystery.

I felt for Layla, especially at the end when she commented on Deans willingness to pray as a miracle and you could just feel the tension when Dean stopped Laylas healing the first time. Im glad they didnt go with the happy, cheesy ending, but damn, I was sad she didnt get healed.

Im not familiar with Buffy (not a Sarah Michelle-Gellar fan at all), but, and again this might be an American thing, reapers/death as a suited businessman is pretty common.

Route 666

Join me in Dean!Fangirlishness!

I really wanted to like this episode. Like, I really wanted to. I liked the idea of Cassie (and I thought the actress was great) but unfortunately she joins the list of potential great characters we never seen again.

This episodejustthe only good things I can say about it are that Dean/Cassie had great chemistry and, uhthats it.
We do have to deal with our history, but I feel like if they were going to touch on racism/slavery they should have treated it more respectfully and not had a racist truck. SO. LAME.

Lets just forget this episode ever happened.

Nightmare

Hmmm. I feel like Sam does stumble into Marty Stu territory quite a few times over the se-ries. This is all leading up to the big Sam reveal, obviously, but it is starting to grate a bit how w get a few throw-away Dean stories that dont really affect the overall plot and the rest are Sam and his creepy powers are the only things that matter stories. It really does even out but I worry that if you havent warmed to Sam yet you might now ever grow to like him.
In the end, I think the point of this episode was to introduce a character whose mother died in the same manner Mary did and who also has supernatural powers like Sam.

All in all though, I agree. A pretty forgettable episode. Except, and I am so going to hell, but dang, they looked pretty smokin in the priest uniforms.

The Benders

I couldnt watch because my DVD was skipping. Crys. I remember liking it though. Ill have to see if Supernatural is available on Netflix live-streaming or if I can find a place to watch it online.

Shadow

JOHN!!!

Well, that was a bit gruesome. Icky. I could never be a hunter.

I loved Dean chatting up the bartender. No helpful information, but he did get her phone number.

The idea of shadow monsters is creepy. I dont know if you watch Doctor Who, but there were monsters on that show called the Vashta Nerada that we similar and it just really freaks me out that there really is no way to hide from them other than to stay in the light, which no one could do forever.

Still like Meg (really liked her wardrobe) and I really like that her introduction really started pro-pelling the main story forward. And lol. The boys are going to be really surprised when the find out that Meg is not dead after getting tossed out the window.

The boys really got their butts kicked by the Deavos (or however you spell it) and Im sad to see John go after just getting him on our screens. And it seems that John is getting close to whatever it is that killed Mary if Meg and whoever shes working for if all this was an attempt to get John out of the game.

Hell House

Every season there is an episode that exists soley to be jokey and hilarious and Hell House is season ones attempt, and I did laugh out loud at all the pranks.

Mordechai is an evil name.

Once again, a creepy evil. Seriously, a thought monster!?!?! Its a good thing this was mostly a gag episode because I feel like if given the right treatment this episode could have been horrifying.

Some of the pranks were hilarious. Itching powder in Sams underwear, gluing Deans hand to the beer bottle. It was nice seeing the boys just relax and having fun with each other for a change. Ed and Harry were hilariously stereotypical geeks and I probably laughed more at them than I did with them, but hey, Im a self-admitted geek who spent her weekend crying over not being at Comic-Con, so these are my people.

Really not much to say about this episode other than that it was fun and light-hearted and I really liked it.

And I'm at work, and running out of time, so I'll end this here and pick it back up again when I get home. And again, I apologize for the stupid hyphens showing up randomly in words. I have no idea what's causing the. :mad:

Petra
July 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Finally getting here!!

*happy dance*

Huh. Ill check my local Barnes and Noble. If I can find it in a discount bin I might give it a chance.

I don't think you'll find it - as far as I know it's been out of print for some time now - but keep trying. And I can lend it to you when we finally meet :P

It was super weird to hear them talking about heading to Sacramento, since thats where I live. Then again, come to me Dean. I WILL LOVE YOU!! Lol. (And bring your dad. And Sam can come too I guess.)

Ha, comments like this one, and those which follow, making me snicker out loud, are definitely worth the wait. :D

Plus, I kind of lost the moral right to tease you with my own delay.

Scarecrows in American horror have generally always taken bits of flesh from their victims, either by skinning them or consuming them.

That's creepy. And yucky as hell.

And lol, I didnt recognize any of those SG people.

I swear it's not like I set out to notice them on purpose. I don't watch the show saying to myself "c'mone SG peeps, where are you? Show yourselves!". They just...keep jumping out at me. :o

I liked the idea of Cassie (and I thought the actress was great) but unfortunately she joins the list of potential great characters we never seen again.

What?! She'll never appear again? How is it that when this show introduces a strong, cool female character you tell me she won't be seen or heard from again? First Missouri and now Cassie. Boo.

Lets just forget this episode ever happened.

Oh yes, let's.

Except, and I am so going to hell, but dang, they looked pretty smokin in the priest uniforms.

:lol:

I'll join you.

Shadow

The idea of shadow monsters is creepy. I dont know if you watch Doctor Who, but

I don't watch Dr Who, but I agree re creepiness (I feel like I'm seriously overusing this word in this thread :o)

My notes:

Oh, mythology ep! And a great one too! I dont think it was as good as Home, but still, pretty intense. I have new admiration for Sam; I didnt think he could be so sneaky, suspicious and so good at pretending. He caught on on Megs unusual reappearance very quickly and it was interesting to see him be the more wary and cynical one for a change. What is also strange for me, I didnt much care for Deans teasing and dismissing Meg from the start just because Sam happened to like her. Fortunately, he quickly came around.

Dads back! That was cool, and man, no wonder guys are hot when they have such handsome father. Eh, I wish he made appearances more often. Whats also worth noting, the acting in the reunion and then goodbye scenes was top notch. I liked how Sam was made to make the decision to let go of his father, just now when their relationship had a chance to improve, and that Dean was the one to make the hard decision to push his father away. Interesting role-reversal.

Im not quite sure what to make of Meg. I dont even know if I like her or not. She sure is a part of something bigger and I guess shell be recurring, so Ill probably get a chance to make up my mind about her later. But the mystery behind this episode has me glued to the screen, so bring on more!

Hell House

This is definitely the funniest episode to date. It makes certain sense to me that 2 brothers with such dangerous line of work would make each other miserable with pranks. Im not sure what it says about me, though. :P Also, I feel cheated that I didnt get to see how Dean got rid of that bottle glued to his hand. And where did he find dead fish?! And kudos to Sam for being so sneaky again and impersonating film producer. :D

Its another episode filled with familiar faces. A.J. Buckley (Adam from CSI:NY) played a nerd as usual which I found quite funny in its own right, plus although his portrayal was painfully clichd, I admit to laughing at ()sexwith girls! line; Agam Darshis (Kate in Sanctuary) role was more atypical for her, but it was nice to see her so young and, well, nerdy.

The idea behind the episode is quite interesting; I dont think a lot of shows/movies touch on that, so its good that SPN TPTB try to be creative. But there was something lacking in the execution, IMO. I dont know, it just seems like more could be done with the premise. Im also a bit confused about the set-up: since the girl found by the kids at the beginning looked like the cousin, this part was a prank, wasnt it? Mordechaj started to appear after that, right?

Finally, Im rather impressed by the continuity and the explanation given for the brothers being on a regular hunt after last weeks events. It could have been better, but it could have been absent as well.

This dose of humour has me wondering though: is SPN following SG-1s example and having at least 1 more funny, lighthearted ep each season or is it one-time deal? Although I can see that you already answered this one.

OT:

Im a self-admitted geek who spent her weekend crying over not being at Comic-Con, so these are my people.

Hmm, any specific panels you were interested in seeing?

And again, I apologize for the stupid hyphens showing up randomly in words. I have no idea what's causing the. :mad:

Don't worry. I've just noticed that some strange things happen to my posts too, and I don't have the slightest idea why. Maybe it's this thread...:P

Something Wicked

I loved this ep. It had creepy villain (although again I was quick to figure out that the good doc was the culprit), cool kids and great, fascinating glimpses into Sam and Deans childhood. Actually, now I feel like hugging Dean, LOL.

Seriously, thats got to be another one of my faves. As a kid I was very afraid of all those shadows on my bedroom window at night (there were lots of trees around) so this episode, with the image of this bony hand so similar to twigs shadows opening the window, hit the nerve. Then, to lighten the mood, the scene with presenting IDs was hilarious, as was the scene with the guys barging in on an old lady. :D

The scenes portraying the brothers childhood, ouchI suppose that if social services had known about John leaving his boys alone for days at the time he wouldnt have had them for long. At the same time, given the situation, I find his actions totally understandable. It also goes a long way to explain Deans protectiveness towards his brother and that feeling of responsibility, that was touched upon in The Benders. Oh, that scene with kid!Dean giving up his meal to give his share to kid!Sam gets me every time.

Michael was great too (and his quip about queen beds :D) and I think you are right, showing familial bonds, especially that tough brotherly love is definitely SPNs strength. Theres one but though: I totally understand why the kids had to be boys, to mirror Dean and Sams experiences, but it doesnt stop me from wishing to have some strong girls in that show. Because so far women are either villains or damsels in distress and thats just not right.

Oh, and YAY for Sams apology! :)

Provenance

Sam? Marry that girl. LOL.

How nice, I asked about a strong female and I got one in the very next episode!

I absolutely adore Sara. Shes strong, open-minded and has guts. She also has to be the prettiest character/actress on the show so far. I just..guh, I like her very much and I hope to see her in the future. Preferably lots of her :D

Apart from Sara, I feel like it was another episode from the tick off list (haunted painting? Check. A girl Sam falls for who doesnt die? Check.) but for once I couldnt figure out who was the murderer and how to get rid of them, and so I enjoyed it on a whole new level. Plus the painting really was butt-ugly and the girl extra-creepy (and FCOL, whats up with this show and creepy little girls? First Missy, now this girl, not to mention Bloody Mary?).

So yeah, enjoyable episode and hopefully significant due to Sara.

I haven't watch the next ep yet, so I'll be back later. :)

Ashizuri
July 28th, 2011, 08:53 AM
And I can lend it to you when we finally meet :P

We'll just add this book to the list of reasons why we need to be on the same continent at some point in the future!

What?! She'll never appear again? How is it that when this show introduces a strong, cool female character you tell me she won't be seen or heard from again? First Missouri and now Cassie. Boo.

I told you this show has problems with it's female cast right? If you like the character and it's a girl, the safe thing to do is assume that she's either never going to be heard from again or die.

but I agree re creepiness (I feel like I'm seriously overusing this word in this thread :o)

Creepy is the perfect word for this show.

I have new admiration for Sam;

I hope he can keep impressing you.

Finally, Im rather impressed by the continuity and the explanation given for the brothers being on a regular hunt after last weeks events. It could have been better, but it could have been absent as well.

This is definitely a show where paying attention to everything is important. So many things that I would have overlooked or written off come back into play later in the series.

Hmm, any specific panels you were interested in seeing?

I really wanted to see the Glee panel (obviously, lol), the Supernatural panel, Doctor Who, the Game of Thrones panel (although I hear Jason Momoa was being disgusting and making rape jokes), the Early Works of Jim Hensen, the YA fiction panel, Deepak Chopra and the Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes, the Terra Nova screening (I am so excited for this show) and god, I just wanted to see everything. I'm making it a point to go next year.

Don't worry. I've just noticed that some strange things happen to my posts too, and I don't have the slightest idea why. Maybe it's this thread...

Maybe the thread is haunted....

Something Wicked

Actually, now I feel like hugging Dean, LOL.

Whenever an episode featuring the boys as kids happens giving Dean and/or Sam a big hug is usually the entire audiences reaction. I really like the kids they got to play Sam/Dean as well. The kids really were able to take on a lot of the same mannerisms.

Like you, the shadowy hand in the window freaked me out. The monster reminded me a lot of the Dementors in Harry Potter. I wonder if these monsters were where Rowling got the inspiration.

I feel so bad for both of the boys, but in this episode, Dean was the one tugging on my heart strings. To be so young and feel so much responsibility that he's still blaming himself all these years later? My tears.

The "two queens" joke makes me laugh everytime. Because for as straight and kind of tooly about his masculinity as Dean can be, he is definitely the campier of the two. I liked Michael and Asher (such a cool name) and I liked that, like Sam and Dean, they were willing to do anything to save eachother. Such brave little boys.

Oh, and YAY for Sams apology!

Sam's apology was great. And I loved how Dean tried to play it off (like he usually does with all emotional moments) but you can tell that it means something to him. I just love these boys soooo much! Lol. I also really liked Sam's lament that now Michael's innocence is gone because he knows what's really hiding in the dark.

Provenance

I absolutely adore Sara. Shes strong, open-minded and has guts. She also has to be the prettiest character/actress on the show so far. I just..guh, I like her very much and I hope to see her in the future. Preferably lots of her.

Remember what I said about likeable female characters above? We never see Sarah again. D:

(and FCOL, whats up with this show and creepy little girls? First Missy, now this girl, not to mention Bloody Mary?).

Lol. There are loads and loads of creepy little girls in this show. Loads of them.

I liked that show set Sarah and her dad up as potential culprits for the killings. With the super shifty dad and Sarah not having been on a date since her mother "unexpectedly died" I was sure they were involved somehow. Then with the painting I was like, "oh...so it was the father" and then Bam! It was the little girl all along. Sucks for Sarah's friend that they didn't figure this out earlier. Though, I don't know why anyone would buy that painting. It was creepy and ugly.

I loved Dean pushing Sam towards Sarah and moving on from Jessica. Sam's reluctance and conflict over what to do felt very real to me. I know why he couldn't stay, but I'm really glad he went back and got the big kiss. *Sighs* I really liked Sarah too. Alas.

Dead Man's Blood

Papa Winchester!!

And the first appearance of the Colt, the magical gun that can kill anything. Makes sense that John would be hunting something like this down to take out whatever killed Mary.

The tension was high in this episode and I have to say that Sam was working my last nerve. I kept thinking "can't you just trust him? Is that too much to ask?" I was definitely as frustrated as Dean over their arguing in this ep. Then again, I can understand Sam's irritation at being kept out of the loop. These men really need to learn to communicate better. I liked that Sam and Dean ignored him and followed him when he went to fight Luther. And it's a good thing they did, or John would be dead right now. And yay. In the end, they're going to hunt down the demon that killed Mary together. Like a family!

I like Supernatural's take on vampires. Their mouths/fans are creepy. And ick. The idea of poisoning them with dead man's blood really grosses me out.

Yay! Only two more episodes this season!! One of my very favorite characters is introduced in the last episode and I can't wait for you to meet him!

Gatefan1976
July 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
*cocks head to the side, sizes up Petra, takes off sunglasses

"Well I say, new fan with a stake in the show"

*puts sunglasses back on.

Ahh to watch Supernatural for the first time again........sigh.

Petra
August 1st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Sorry for the delay hon. I had a family emergency this past weekend, I'll PM you tonight (I hope).

Maybe the thread is haunted....

How apt. :P

Dead Mans Blood

In short: I enjoyed it. Its not one of my faves but its definitely entertaining.

I like Supernatural's take on vampires. Their mouths/fans are creepy. And ick. The idea of poisoning them with dead man's blood really grosses me out.

I like it too. I admit that Im not too keen on vampiries in general (Twilight *shudders*totally soured me on them) and when I first heard this ep was about them my first reaction was Not this again! but yeah, in the end I liked it. I guess SPN had to do it cant have a show about supernatural stuff and not have a vampire in it but their take was, as you say, quite interesting. I loved what they did with their eyes. Dead mans blood as a weapon seemed quite ingenious, actually. And that Luthor guy being a total hunk didnt hurt either :P

Now, big yay for dad! I dug all his scenes, but especially the last one. Im so glad they decided to stick together, although I have a feeling nothing good will come out of it. And man, Johns talk with Sam about the college fund was very needed and much appreciated. Dean playing the referee and a diplomat was predictable, in character and nicely set the stage for his later backing Sam up and disobeying order (which I liked too).

The Colt seems to be a really cool idea. Ive seen it mentioned a few times on Wikipedia (I avoided spoilers though, so Im blissfully unaware of everything that will, or wont, happen to that gun) and couldnt wait for it to be introduced.

Onto next ep then!

Salvation

OMG, Kansas Carry on my wayward son! Thats one of my favourite songs ever! I feel like I should love the show just for using it, LOL.

I loved this ep. Everything worked. I didnt predict the outcome, Meg finally clicked for me in a I love to hate her way, it was nice to see Sebastian Spence again (Delek from SG-1 ;)) and Im intrigued by his character, Sams visions didnt feel so forced this time, so yeah, in a word: great job.

I laughed out loud at Megs line about the boys getting their good looks after their dad isnt what weve been commenting on? :D

I just wish there had been more of pastor Jim in the show (I assume this is the guy who was taking care of the boys when John was away, as mentioned in earlier episodes?) before he was killed. Same for that Caleb guy, for I have no idea who that was.

Im a bit confused about the holy water scene. So at the beginning of the episode Meg enters the church without any problems and says that such things as holy ground dont matter to her, but then holy water is enough to stop her? Why then didnt pastor Jim throw some at her? He was in a church FCOL, he must have had some at hand.

Finally, are there any women in this business? All the hunters weve met so far were guys, which has me wondering why arent there any girls. And for that matter, what do the creators reply when asked why there arent any strong females in the show? They must be getting a lot of such questions.

Devils trap

WOW. Okay, so I wasnt expecting that. Is Meg really dead? Somehow, it seems very suspicious. And I guess demon played by Spence wasnt anybody special, since he died :D Shame.

Trapping Meg was very clever. I might have cheered out loud. :weiranime42:

Yay! Only two more episodes this season!! One of my very favorite characters is introduced in the last episode and I can't wait for you to meet him!

So is the character you mentioned this Bobby guy? He seemed pretty cool, but also a one-off? All cool characters are one-offs after all...

That was a truly great episode. Very suspenseful; I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, even though I guessed early on that dad would be possessed. And Im betting hell die in the next episode; killing him off now when his death would be purely accidental and a consequence of Sam not killing him when his death would have been meaningful (as in: dead demon) seems just like the thing SPN would do. I guess Ill see if Im right in a moment. :D

ButI wasnt expecting that twist at the end. That truck came literally out of nowhere. And the episode was intensely emotional already! Im really warming up to Sam now (took me long enough, huh?), but Dean, Dean is, simply put, awesome. I just loved his line about knowing his dad better than anyone. And the torture sceneI have a sneaky suspicion the SPN fandom is full of whump lovers...

Oh, and poor John. Even though Im pretty sure hell be killed off, Im *really* hoping to be wrong because dang, I adore that guy and I definitely want to see more of him!

Ill wait for your notes to comment in somewhat more intelligent manner, as atm what little eloquence, reason or humour I possess deserted me completely. Gah.

In my time of dying

Huh. Okay, so I was wrong. It happens. :P

I cant make up my mind about this episode. I didnt particularly like the first half. The whole out of body experience didnt quite work for me. It should, as Dean is my fave character, but there was something missing and I found myself pretty bored. John/Sam scenes were definitely a highlight, and that says something. Also, as amusing as the scene with Sam and Dean talking via Mystical Talking Board was, it felt strangely out of place in such solemn ep.

Fortunately from the moment John went off to bargain with the demon the episode picked up the intensity and quality of Devils Trap. That was a seriously good piece of tv. I admit I teared up at the end, when John was saying his goodbyes. :o The ending wasguh, just great.

And of course now Im left with thousands of questions, LOL. Yours Whats wrong with Sammy for starters. What did John say to Dean? Will we ever see John again (God, I hope so!)? What will happen to the Colt? And so onand yeah, I know I need to keep watching to get the answers. :D

*cocks head to the side, sizes up Petra, takes off sunglasses

"Well I say, new fan with a stake in the show"

*puts sunglasses back on.

I think it's a fair assessment. :D

Gatefan1976
August 1st, 2011, 12:46 AM
I think it's a fair assessment. :D

It will make more sense to you in S5, including the crappy pun :)

Until then Carry on my wayward..... err, sparring partner :D
I Hope you get as much enjoyment out of this series as I have. :)

Petra
August 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
In Ash's absence I'm just going to talk to myself a little. :D

Everybody loves a clown

Im disappointed with this episode. I understand that the show needed to slow down for a moment and take a breath after the rollercoaster of the last 3 or so episodes, and that showing aftermath was very important, butclowns?! Im sorry, but thats as lame as haunted truck from season 1. Couldnt they come up with something better?

Maybe its because I dont understand this fear of clowns (it seems to be an American thing again. Wasnt Shep in SGA afraid of them too?) but I found the whole premise weak and unsatisfactory. All the emotional bits, arguments between the brothers, their mourning, Dean passing up the chance to hit on a girl it all felt lacking and half-hearted due to the premise. Honestly, the only time I felt something was at the very end, when Dean started to smash his beloved car. Once more Im left wondering what it was that John had told him.

The only saving grace were Ellen and Ash (although again, I couldnt help but notice how stereotypical the male/female roles were), as I think theyll be important later on. Or at least their research. Ill probably wont be seeing Ellen again.

Meh.

Bloodlust

Y'know, Ive never thought of myself as a rock girl, but damn, I love the soundtrack for this show!

The beginning had me rolling my eyes and laughing at the same time. All those shots of the car*shakes head*

Loved the sheriff. He rocked!

The twist with the innocent girl from the intro being an innocent vampire was pretty good, I didnt expect that. Although in retrospect, I do feel that such role switching: humans as bad guys and vampires as victims was another pretty generic tale that needed to be done (or ticked off the list ;)). It was really nice to see Amber Benson though, as I adored Tara on Buffy. Better yet, a female was the leader!

The scene with Dean beheading that vampire was truly gruesome and shocking, which I think was intended. And I freaking loved how Dean opened up to Gordon, showed his vulnerability and admitted he didnt know how to handle Johns death. That was seriously well done.

I was so happy to see Ellen again! Its cool to be wrong! :D I do hope shell continue to appear in the future.

Also, I was so siding with Sam in this one. Im starting to really like little Sammy, he rocked in this episode and it was very refreshing to see him so attuned to Deans emotions and focusing on dragging his big brother back away from the abyss, instead of focusing on himself. I also need to say that in Bloodlust Dean and especially Sam gave me the biggest Jack and Daniel vibe so far.

Now, Gordon. I find him disgusting, which I suspect was the point. But all the problems I have with the plot are tied with his appearance. Firstly, as soon as he mentioned his sister I guessed her fate and that he killed her. Face-off between him and Dean was painfully predictable. Also, how is it possible that hed met John if he seems to be specializing in hunting vampires and John hadnt believed in vampires until Dead Mans Blood?

I liked the ending with the reflections about the morality of hunting and Sams raincheck (I think its a sure bet he will clock Dean at some point), but overall Id say it was average episode. Great with the character stuff, pretty weak plot-wise.

*hides*

Ashizuri
August 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I just got back from vacation. I totally forgot to warn you that I'd be gone for a week! Eep. I'm back, I'm writing reviews!!

Petra
August 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Ah, its time for zombies!

I rather liked SPNs take on them, much like their take on most of supernatural stuff, LOL. However, the scene with the zombie trying to kill her roommate was a bit OTT. Sam as a bait was surprisingly entertaining, but the end was rather anti-climactic, I think. I kept expecting her to rise from the dead again.

Im also a bit confused why Sam who by his own admission barely remembers his mother cares so much about her grave or why Dean is so adamant not to go anywhere near it.

As usual, the most interesting part was the interaction between the brothers. The conversation they had between them while seemingly talking to Angelas father was brilliant. And the final scene! Im starting to think that final scenes are SPNs specialty. That conversation was powerful, raw and well acted (kudos to JA). Poor Dean, blaming himself all this time and trying to deal with it on his own. His mantra of dead things should stay dead took on a whole new meaning in light of his confession.

Oh, and Sam is definitely growing on me.

Simon Said

Roadhouse again. Thats cool, I like that with all the driving around the brothers do they have a place to come back to. I like Ashs weirdness. Im not so sure about Jo though. I find her mostly annoying, although I cant put my finger on why exactly. Still, if she made Dean sing she cant be that bad, right? :S Oh, and Dean afraid of Ellen? Priceless.

Stargate actors again. Doc from Sams vision was the sheriff in SG-1 Nightwalkers.

What I really liked and what I found pretty refreshing was that Andy really was innocent in all of this and had never tried to use his mind-controlling abilities to gain some significant personal benefit. Also, his controlling Dean led to some genuinely funny scenes, so I liked that too. And I honestly feel for Andy now, because yep, I cant see his ex ever coming back to him now, knowing that shed be second-guessing her every decision, wondering if it was hers or Andys. Ouch.

Speaking of the ex, what also has me confused is her cry. I mean she acted liked she knew she really didnt want to do what Ansen was telling her but was powerless to stop herself, while all the others acted like they were totally unaware of being manipulated and seemed to realize that after the fact. So, a plothole or did I miss something?

Now, heres the thing with the yellow-eyed demon arch. I dig this storyline, I really do. Im dying to find out what happens next. However, this week I took a slightly different approach and firstly watched all 5 episodes and then started to rewatch them to take some notes. And even though I liked Simon Said the first time I watched it, the second time I found myself pretty bored and using FF button a lot. Im not sure if its a matter of this particular ep, or the storyline as such?

No Exit

More Jo at her most annoying self. Oh joy.

The best scene? Dean and Jos whispered argument over what to tell Ellen on phone and car drive back to the Roadhouse when Dean turned on You are cold as ice (had me laugh out loud; also, I love that song).

The story was pretty cool, I thought. It reminded me of RDAs movie Through the eyes of a killer a little. That movie creeped me out, just like this ep did to a lesser degree. Its the premise I find the idea of killers hiding in the walls of your apartment truly scary. :o

Having said that, the less said about Jos capture the better. If we go the clich route, can we at least avoid cringe-worthy predictability of said clich?

I did like Jo and Deans talk about their fathers, but the ending annoyed the hell out of me. It didnt take a genius to figure out John had something to do with Jos father death, and I can understand Ellens anger given the parallels, but Jos reaction was not only OTT, but also completely incomprehensible. Given that it was her own damn fault that she got captured and Dean and Sam saved her life, why would she be pissed at them right afterwards for something their father did to her father years ago? Sheesh. I hope thats the last Ive seen of her.

More to come soon!

Ashizuri
August 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Salvation

Lol. It's a good thing you like "Carry On My Wayward Son" as it is the theme song of the series. I had never heard it before this show, but I definitely have it on my ipod now.

Oh Papa Winchester. <3 And Meg. I love Meg. She really is one of my favorite villains.

LIke you, I wish we could have seen more of Pastor Jim. I think we might see him once more during a flashback episode, but I'm not sure.

I like that Dean is still pushing back against his father and not letting John guilt them about not disclosing Sam's visions. And I like that John agreed that it really was his fault that the boys don't tell him things. Mature conversation ftw!

John turning the entire reservoir into holy water was pretty clever, and I like that there is no honor among demons.

Ah Sammy. If only you hadn't hesitated in Rosie's room. But at least they were able to save the girl and her mother. Dean's mini-breakdown at the end and his confession that he was barely holding it together was very tense and believable. My hat's off to Jensen for a powerful performance.

And now Meg has John!

Devil's Trap

Bobby is not a one off. He is one of the only characters that really sticks around. AND I LOVE HIM! lol. He is one character I am fiercely protective of.

The scene where they exorcise Meg out of the girl was intense and I definitely teared up a bit at the girl thanking them for freeing her.

I liked that Dean called Sam out on being like John in his willingness to die if it means killing Yellow Eyes. Sam and John are so much alike.

It was very predictable that John was possessed, but JDM pulled off evil very well. I had completely forgotten that Meg was YE daughter, so it's natural he was extra pissed off about them getting killed. As much as it kills me to say, once again, Sam shouldn't have hesitated with the colt and he should have, for once, listened to his father and shot killed John. On the other hand, Sam saying that his family is more important that killing Yellow Eyes is a great bit of character development.

And man. The car crash. I so did not see that coming the first time I watched it. I have to be honest though, my first thought? Not the car!!!!!

In My Time of Dying

LIke you, I was not a huge fan of Dean's storyline in this episode. I thought the reaper plot was a bit silly. It's a hospital, people die every day. Of course a reaper would be there. I did like that it was a woman though. So, since I (surprisingly) was mostly uninterested in Dean, I'm going to focus more on John and Sam.

As soon as John sent Sam to get things that would "protect them" I knew something was up and when Bobby said it was ingredients for a summoning charm I was like "oh hell to the no Sammy, you do not give him any of that!!"

I like that Dean's condition was compared to the impala and I liked Sam's refusal to believe the car could't be repaired was essentially him saying that he refused to believe that Dean wouldn't make it. Creys. I love these boys.

Sam looks like a kicked puppy when he cries. I liked the ouiji board scene, but I'm very used to this show having humor in places you'd least expect it.

And so begins the Winchester practice of offering up their souls/lives for their family. John, if only you knew what you've started. Again, I cried when Sam came back with the coffee to see John dead on the floor. Lots and lots of questions, like you said.

Everybody Loves a Clown

I didn't watch most of this episode. Clowns. No, no, no. Shep and I have this in common. Since you don't watch horror movies, I assume you've never seen It, but this guy, Pennywise the Dancing Clown has forever ruined clowns for me. I've never even been to the circus because this film terrified me so bad.

So this review will be quick. Ellen, I adore you. And, actually, Ellen, Jo, and Ash all stick around for awhile, and Ellen definitely becomes one of, if not the best, female characters in the show. I love Ash's mullet.

Clowns, evil funhouses, evil, evil, evil. Ash is not watching this.

the only time I felt something was at the very end, when Dean started to smash his beloved car. Once more Im left wondering what it was that John had told him

Man, this bit got me too. Dean loves that car and when he took the tire iron to it I gasped out loud.

Laptop battery dying. Lots to catch up on though. Will post more tomorrow. I am not lying this time. :D

Ashizuri
August 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Bloodlust

Gordon. I hate him, but I love to hate him. And I think the actor that plays him is really attractive. But Gordon. What a jerk.

Dean talking sexy to his car. Lol.

And ew at the beheading scene. And that's not even the most gruesome beheading we see on this show. Lol. And I have to say, rewatching from the beginning is making me sad when I stop and remember that 97 percent of these characters have met rather unfortunate ends. D:

I liked the moral questions of do they kill all supernatural beings or just the evil ones, because a lot of the times, even the ones that aren't evil still cause humans harm. And then there are people like Gordon. Human, but more evil than a vampire like Lenore. Like Dean said, their world is not black and white. Definitely got the Jack and Daniel vibe here too, with Sam's morals versus Dean's might.

I did agree with Sam that Dean was using Gordon as a replacement for John, but I think the loss of their father has to be a lot harder on Dean than it is on Sam. Oh, and I really liked Sam snapping at Gordon that "only Dean is allowed to call him Sammy." Sam's got some attitude!

Any episode that includes Ellen is better for having her in it, even if it's only for a few minutes. Hannibal Lector was a good psychiatrist indeed.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

As a big fan of zombie's (seriously, the Walking Dead is one of my most anticipated shows returning this fall) I feel like I should have liked this episode more than I did. I definitely felt like zombies was a check off their list, but it was imaginative and it did manage to mostly hold my interest.

Like you, I think the best scene was the final one. And yes, you're correct, the biggest emotional moments in the show tend to be the final scenes. Dean's confession of guilt was heart-wrenching, and knowing that while Sam can't be happy about their father's death he knows that he needs Dean more and knows that he can't tell Dean that. Tears man.

The episode was creepy and gloomy and full of tension, but I don't know. It just didn't impress me much. It was good, entertaining, but I don't love it.

Simon Said

Dean and REO Speedwagon. Don't mock it Winchester, that's one of my favorite songs.

Jo. Poor Jo. She suffered some pretty terrible writing and characterization because the writers gave into fan pressure. The fan backlash to Dean having any sort of meaningful romantic relationship was intense. Intense. She gets a lot better once she is no longer a viable love interest for Dean, which is a shame, because aside from the fact that the actress is just a touch too young looking to be playing romance with JA, I really liked their chemistry and thought the actors worked well together.

And Ash. How I love you (and not just because we share a name :P). "We need your help." "Well then, I guess I need my pants." lol.

This was a pretty "what's wrong with Sammy" plot heavy episode. I liked that Andy broke the pattern of mothers set on fire. It just adds one more twist to the mystery. I liked when Sam called Dean out on being just as scared as he is, and Dean childishly denying it. Of course Dean would want a do over. Of course he would. But now we know that Dean is scared of Sammy and what he could become. Pair that with whatever it is that John said to Dean in his last moments and the plot is thickening quite nicely.

I liked the "evil twin" story and I found myself really feeling sympathy for Andy. Even more than Sam, who is starting to face that he might become a crazy killer. Andy really is an innocent caught up in a world he knows nothing about and he just lost his girlfriend to boot. Someone get this kid a beer!

More tomorrow. I might not be able to get all five done on time, but I am going to make more of an effort to not get so behind again!

EDIT: More, as promised!

No Exit

The Katie Holmes/Scientology bit in the beginning had me laughing out loud.

I love that they continue playing up Deans fear of Ellen. Though, to be fair, I think any woman that doesnt just roll over for him both scares and intrigues him. I thought the fight between Jo and Ellen was realistic. Obviously Ellen wouldnt want her daughter to get involved with hunting, but if that was the case then she shouldnt have raised her in the Roadhouse and kept her submersed in that culture her entire life. Seems counterproductive imo.

I didnt like that Dean so easily dismissed Jo though, it felt very much like a woman cant do this job dismissal. I know they brought this exact thing up later in the episode and Dean said it wasnt about that, but I think part of it was. I also think part of it is that he cares about her and doesnt want to see her mixed up in this and killed, but he was very overbearing.

Clearly you dont like Jo, but I really do. I like that she doesnt take Deans crap. She tells him to sit, he sits. And Jensen and Alona have great chemistry. The flirty bits between them were very entertaining. Dean should have cleaned the pipes. Lol. The talk between them about their fathers was great, and it was nice to see Dean open up to someone more trustworthy than Gordon. And I like that shes smart. She put the file together, she found him in the walls, she pointed out the prison next door and got the information about the hangings.

H.H. Holmes sounds like a wonderful guy. Murder Castle. I think it could be a lovely summer home. I do so love me some torture devices. Ick.

I liked the brief scene between Jo and Theresa, and that Jo was not only trying to reassure her but was confident that the boys were coming for her. I hated that she needed rescuing in the first place (cant have a woman save the day now can we?) but I liked that she didnt lose her head and start panicking.

As for Jo being mad. I kind of understand it. She went her whole life thinking he just died on the job because thats what happens, and then to find out that Uncle John is the reason hes dead and we have no idea what else Ellen said when the scene cut off, but I assume it was disparaging about the Winchesters to further discourage Jo from trusting them. Which worked. Unfortunately for you, this is not the last we see of Jo though.

The Usual Suspects

Ah ha! I knew Deans police record came up again. Yay for continuity. Also? Yay for Sam being a red-headed woman. Lol. I love their banter. And Dean. My name is Dean Winchester. I'm an Aquarius. I enjoy sunsets, long walks on the beach, and frisky women. So much love.

I wasnt really a big fan of this episode. At this point, stand-alone episodes that dont move the Yellow-Eyed Demon/Whats wrong with Sammy plot have to be really, really good to keep me interested.

So, umyeah. Not much to say here. I feel like the police records come up again, only now Sam is involved as well. It sucks that Diana couldnt have wiped them or kept Dean as dead. The death omen idea was pretty interesting.

Lol. I think you can tell I didnt like this one much just by comparing this write up with the No Exit one.

Petra
August 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM
And so begins the Winchester practice of offering up their souls/lives for their family. John, if only you knew what you've started.

Huh? ;)

I assume you've never seen It, but this guy, Pennywise the Dancing Clown has forever ruined clowns for me. I've never even been to the circus because this film terrified me so bad.

You are right, I've never seen it but...you've never been to the circus? Seriously? Oh man, I'll need to talk you into going one day!

Ellen definitely becomes one of, if not the best, female characters in the show. I love Ash's mullet.

I <3 Ellen. And LOL at the mullet comment.

More tomorrow. I might not be able to get all five done on time, but I am going to make more of an effort to not get so behind again!

EDIT: More, as promised!

I'm impressed! :D

Obviously Ellen wouldnt want her daughter to get involved with hunting, but if that was the case then she shouldnt have raised her in the Roadhouse and kept her submersed in that culture her entire life. Seems counterproductive imo.

Yeah, that was a bit odd.

Clearly you dont like Jo, but I really do.

Well, it's about time we had some disagreement! :P

I like that she doesnt take Deans crap. She tells him to sit, he sits. And Jensen and Alona have great chemistry. The flirty bits between them were very entertaining. Dean should have cleaned the pipes. Lol. The talk between them about their fathers was great, and it was nice to see Dean open up to someone more trustworthy than Gordon. And I like that shes smart. She put the file together, she found him in the walls, she pointed out the prison next door and got the information about the hangings.

Now see, I think all of the above is exactly what the writers were going for. And I can definitely see Jo's potential, it's just that there's something lacking in the execution for me. I think I ought to be rooting for her, but I find her mostly annoying, and I just..can't. :o I don't want to be a jerk, bit I suspect it's something to do with the actress, she just doesn't do it for me. But for your sake I'll try to make an effort to like her a bit more. ;)

H.H. Holmes sounds like a wonderful guy. Murder Castle. I think it could be a lovely summer home. I do so love me some torture devices. Ick.

*Petra's rethinking spending any summer time with Ash in RL*

:P

The Usual Suspects

So, Sam still wears a cast and Dean was considered dead. Continuity indeed.

Ok, not a lot to say this time. Unlike you, I liked this episode, I really did. I enjoy brothers trouble with law, I guess, finding out all their back-up plans etc. its fascinating. Plus I didnt figure out the mystery, so that was cool. I was sure the killer would be supernatural. Nice surprise.

Deans confession was hilarious. And the reference to Shining gives it additional points.

Open-minded cop was a nice break too. Am I to understand shes never to be seen again too?

My only nit-pick is the ending: I understand why it went down that way, but still, it was way too clichd. Shame.

All in all, pretty enjoyable episode.

Crossroad Blues

I feel like I should like this episode more than I actually did.

Im not sure what it was that didnt quite work for me. Maybe the scenes from Mississippi in the 30s dragged a bit too much? Or maybe, even though I know dogs can be terrifying, big black dog as a supernatural threat sounds a bit ridiculous?

I do know what did work though. Firstly, the talk at the caf about dean being wanted and Sam being jealous. I couldnt stop smiling. Holy - Holy? Guess again exchange was pretty funny too. The way the demon sealed the deal was pretty innovative as wellI just hope that the women get some handsome fella! :D

I liked the scene with George The Unsuccessful Painter. His attitude was unexpected and very refreshing.

But as usual, hands down the best scenes were tied with the mythology. Deans worst fears came true and man, did I feel for him when he was offered that deal that would rescue John from hell! Really great, powerful stuff. Besides, I have a sneaky suspicion that its not the last time we heard of, or seen, Papa Winchester. And I hope Im not wrong, before now Im really curious to learn more about his fate.

Also, I loved the last scene in the car. So poignant.

Croatoan

And we are back to the mythology, Yellow-Eyed Demon and Sams visions with vengeance!

I found this episode very interesting and once again there were scenes where I was definitely siding with Sam. His annoyance at Deans unfamiliarity with history is so like me, LOL. I tend to grumble a lot when somebody doesnt know basic (or what I consider basic) historic facts. :o

Also, more Stargate actors this time the guy who played Administrator Calder in BtS. And a question: whats up with a neighbor named Mr Rodgers? I feel like I missed something. :o

The premise is really disturbing. Hellish virus that turns normal people into crazy murderers? Yikes. I also think its the most sci-fi episode to date, what with using an actual virus, a doctor, medical tests and such. And as Im a sucker for stories about strange small towns, there really wasnt much not to like.

Dean is really spinning out of control, isnt he? I was pretty surprised that he killed that woman in cold blood; then again, his love for his kid brother seems to be the most reliable thing in the whole show.

Oh, and Dwaynes phone call at the end? I did not see this coming! Im excited for whats to come! Not to mention the reveal of the big secret

Petra
August 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Woo Hoo, I made it this after all! :D

Hunted

Notes:

1. Do the victims-to-be always have to take long walks through the dangerous neighbourhoods late at night? Seriously, couldnt the guy park closer to his doctors place?

2. So we finally start to get some answers. Dean might have to kill Sam? Oh wow. Thats big. But, probably unfairly, Im siding with Dean here. I thought Sam acted like a spoilt brat. :o

3. Yep. I adore Ellen. I just wish that Dean was there too, to hear she doesnt blame him for anything.

4. Ash, weird and endearing as always. Hes slowly starting to become one of my faves.

5. Yet another Stargate face! Hello King Maybourne, long time no see!

6. Ava seems to be a cool character. Shes very likeable and I certainly hope to see her again. Although, my impression at the end was that she turned dark side and killed her fianc herself, and I guess Im supposed to believe that it was the demon who killed the guy and kidnapped her?

Also, I laughed at her line about soda and suicide attempts, but I got it only thanks to your explanation, so thanks! :D

7. Gordon again! Man I hate that guy so much! (in a I love to hate him way :D). I cant believe that he killed that innocent guy. But I absolutely loved how Sam took care of him. Cops? LOL.

8. Answers continued. Psychics will be the soldiers of Hell, the war is coming, plot thickens

Playthings

More creepy little girls. Geez. And more creepy dolls. And more bed/gays jokes. And jokes at Sam liking dolls. LOL

I dont have much to say about this ep. It was fairly enjoyable, but really nothing special or memorable. Except these dolls. I totally agree with Dean, they were super creepy!

Drunk!Sam was kind of amusing at the beginning and the moment when he asked Dean to kill him was intense, but honestly, I wasnt impressed with JP acting.

I didnt see the twist with Maggie coming, so that was cool. Also, I was happy to see she was played by the girl from The 4400.

Overall, meh.

Nightshifter

Man, I loved that episode. Its hands down among my favourites, if not the favourite till now. I just love bank robbery stories. Like, seriously love. If theres a movie about a bank robbery I need to see it, if a tv series does its own take, it tends to be among my favourites as well (hello Sanctuary). Soyeah, loved it.

Mandroid had me laughing out loud. Laser eyes. LOL. The little scene where the blond girl was gushing at how brave Dean was and Sam was just rolling his eyes. Brothers reaction to her fainting later on. Sam taking out those SWAT guys. Theres so much to love.

Ronald was sweet, even if so painfully stereotypical. I loved his rapport with Dean, and that Dean actually genuinely liked him and told him the truth. Man, I cant believe they killed him off. Im so sad.

Agent Henriksen is an interesting addition to the show, I think. Im very interested in seeing how hell handle the Winchesters further down the road. I must say I kinda can understand him; from his POV Dean really can be seen as some sort of a monster, ironically. And speaking of Dean, it was so typical that he didnt even bat an eye when Victor was listing his crimes but immediately jumped to the defense of his dad.

Houses of the Holy

LOL at Dean enjoying himself on a motel bed exactly like Jack did in Point of No Return. And the talk about unicorns had me in stitches. All I could think was: but the unicorns do exist! They are pink and sparkly and angry and reside at the GW forums! LOL

On a more serious note, I guess it was a matter of time before SPN did an episode dealing with the religion/Gods existence. Its hard not to given the series themes.

The mystery part didnt quite work for me, as I figured pretty soon that the writers will have some compromise between Sam and Deans versions. Guess what happened? A compromise. Its a spirit, but then again maybe it was doing Gods work after all :rolleyes: I dont mean to offend anybody, honestly, I think that resolution, however predictable it was, worked pretty well. Still, I cant help but be disappointed a little that the show didnt take the harder path and avoided referencing God at the end. Deans change of heart felt a little forced, like the writers were afraid that the (American) audience wouldnt be able to accept an atheist protagonist. Of course I may be totally wrong here, but this is how it looked like for me.

I must say Im very happy with Father Renos (?) portrayal. It was refreshing to actually see an honest, devoted priest who hasnt strayed on American tv. I really liked the guy.

iolanda
August 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Nightshifter

Man, I loved that episode. Its hands down among my favourites, if not the favourite till now. I just love bank robbery stories. Like, seriously love. If theres a movie about a bank robbery I need to see it, if a tv series does its own take, it tends to be among my favourites as well (hello Sanctuary). Soyeah, loved it.

Nightshifter was the episodes which turned me from "I like the show" to "I absolutely LOVE this one". The ending was just perfect.

*I'd love to insert a vid here but it wasn't allowed in my country. Blame the GEMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesellschaft_f%C3%BCr_musikalische_Auff%C3%BChrungs-_und_mechanische_Vervielf%C3%A4ltigungsrechte).*

Petra
August 23rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Nightshifter was the episodes which turned me from "I like the show" to "I absolutely LOVE this one". The ending was just perfect.

I totally agree.

Oh, and I'm so glad to see someone other than Ash and me posting here! :D

Gatefan1976
August 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I totally agree.

Oh, and I'm so glad to see someone other than Ash and me posting here! :D

Hey, I'd join in a SPN rewatch if you want more bods, I've just been enjoying hearing your reactions to the series to be honest Petra :D. I'm always checking this thread to see what you think of what you watch:P

Petra
September 3rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
^^^Good to know someone does. :P

Keeping that in mind I just wanted to let you know that while we fell a little behind we have every intention of continuing the rewatch. I'll try to catch up this/next week, Ash will probably need more time as RL is crazy atm (plus I've got issues with Internet access. Charms of moving, I guess), but we will prevail! :D

iolanda
September 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'm in the middle of a re-watch - I'm in the end of S2 and pretty slow :-)

Gatefan1976
September 5th, 2011, 01:40 AM
^^^Good to know someone does. :P

Keeping that in mind I just wanted to let you know that while we fell a little behind we have every intention of continuing the rewatch. I'll try to catch up this/next week, Ash will probably need more time as RL is crazy atm (plus I've got issues with Internet access. Charms of moving, I guess), but we will prevail! :D

Hey, just PM me or put what eps you are planning to watch in a few days in advance. I'm pretty used to doing rewatches these days either multicountry "live" or whatever. Organizing it a few days in advance should be easy :)

Petra
September 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Hey, just PM me or put what eps you are planning to watch in a few days in advance.

It's pretty easy. We are sticking with 5 eps per week; according to our original schedule yesterday we should have started season 3 and this week we should be watching "The kids are alright" and the next 4 episodes, up to and including "Red Sky at Morning". I'm actually on time with watching, I just didn't have the time/means to write down and post the reviews. As I said, I'll try to fix it this week and post all 15. Some of them were written immediately after watching the episodes, some however still need to be written. We'll see how it goes, in the meantime here's the first batch:

Born under a bad sign

Ive come to the conclusion that I like mythology/main arch episodes more than stand-alones (this coming from someone who hated mythology eps on The X-Files), and this is the episode that finally convinced me. Its really good, although it loses its punch on the re-watch, when you know its not really Sam. The first time I watched it though I totally bought that it was Sammy doing all these things and I kept trying to come up with some explanation.

Dean refusing to kill Sam despite his earlier promise was heartbreaking. I feel like giving him a hug. Again. :P

Next, Jo shows up again. Tbh, I like her more here than I did in No Exit. For one, she acts more mature. Having said that, Im disappointed she didnt figure out that Sam was possessed on her own, as soon as he started talking about her dad. I mean, c'mone! Also, I think now that my problem is definitely with the actress, less so with the character. I just dont like how she plays Jo. Dont kill me please. And damn, Sam was pretty scary! For a moment I was wondering if he was going to kill or rape her, so him knocking her out came as a welcome relief. :o

Neat trick with the holy water in the beer.

Tall Tales

Col Pendergast! :D

Apart from that, what a great episode! I was laughing out loud a lot. Oh man, theres so much to love (and laugh at): brothers account of meeting Starlet (?) at the bar (JP was a bit OTT in Deans story, but I guess it was intended and worked brilliantly), which was the first time when I couldnt help but laughing; slow dancing with an Asgard ;)!!!; the stuff with Sams computer and Deans car; Bobby; Tricksters peace offering; the final fight and so much more..

It was hilarious. I loved it.

Roadkill

I guess I dont have much to say about this episode. It was enjoyable, it added a lot to the shows mythology and it was fun to watch, but it wasnt particularly memorable.

Im not as crazy about Tricia Helfer as some folks, but I do like her and I liked her here. I didnt see the twist with her being a ghost coming; well done! Although the very end, all that talking about her need to let go, dragged a bit.

Heart

This is the saddest episode to date. I admit I was crying like a baby at the end. :o

If SPN did vampires, it was obvious that werewolves also needed to be done. And as usual, I liked the shows approach. Man, it truly was tragic that the affected humans werent aware of their state. I couldnt help but compare the situation of Maddie (the actress also played one of my fave characters on CSI:NY, back when I was still watching that show) to Oz from Buffy, and as much as I love Oz, I preferred SPNs realism.

Poor Sam. Every time he gets the girl either she dies or he needs to leave her behind. I really feel for the guy.

The story itself was pretty standard and fairly easy to predict, so its the ending that made the episode so powerful. It was pretty gutsy. Kudos to the director: ending it with both brothers in tears and a single shot ringing when final credits appear was perfect. I also liked that the morality of the situation was touched upon, because this is what stays later with the viewer (well, at least this viewer).

All in all, a very sad, poignant episode, but also one of my favourites.

Hollywood Babylon

Ok, so after tears due to Heart now TPTB want me to laugh? Okaaay..

Nice continuity with Dean insisting on the trip to help Sam get over what happened with Madison.

This is a pretty funny episode, although IMO its the weakest attempt at the humour episode so far. My other problem is, it reminds me too much of SG-1s Wormhole X-treme, which I find both funnier and, well, better than SPNs offering. Heck, even Walter resembles Marty a little. :eek:

I know that due to not being a horror fan I missed out on a lot of jokes here, but I must say I found a lot of the scenes /humour very stale and unoriginal, and some characters most notably the producer were so clichd it was groan-worthy. At the very least.

Dean and his love for food and geekiness on the set were probably the best things about the episode. And the last scene with the brothers walking off towards the sunset. :D

Gatefan1976
September 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I'll find a way to sneak 5 eps of SPN into my schedule, but really, what a drag............ :P

Petra
September 6th, 2011, 04:55 AM
^^^
:P

Folsom Prison Blues

Well, given how much I enjoy prison movies, I was bound to like this one, no matter the plot.

The guard who dies at the beginning is played by the same guy who played the stupid!guard in SG-1s Bad guys. For that petty reason I couldnt muster up any sympathy for him. If someone (the guard) is so stupid or someone (the actor) plays so bad, they deserved to be killed off. :P

The plan to get into prison was fun, but you knew something was up the moment they tripped that motion detector. I mean cmone, boys dont make mistakes like that.

Never was Dean more right when he told Henriksen that he was adorable. :D His one liners kept me smiling all the time. And I stand by my original impression, I like Henriksen as an adversary. Hes intelligent and focused and mean and totally worthy to be the brothers' foe.

I had a bit of a problem to buy timid Narim as a prison guard, but ultimately he wasnt that bad.

Tinys admission of his low-esteem admission was a nice surprise, as was Deacons identity. I also liked the lawyer; she was a smart lady, and her misleading Henriksen made for cool, full of tension ending.

Great episode.

What is and what should never be

I feel like I should really dig this episode. For one, I love AU stories. Then there are jinns something right up my alley (although I dont think that SPN TPTB are that familiar with islam and islamic mythology ;) Otoh, the tattoos were a nice touch). But somethings missing here and I just cant warm up, for the lack of a better word, to this episode.

Its all so predictable. Deans offered a (fake) chance at new life, a life without hunting. So he gets to spend some time with his mom, observe Sam being happy with Jess , gets a cool, understanding girlfriend, realizes that if it wasnt for hunting he and Sam would be worlds apart, and finally decides that he prefers reality with his brother, no matter how grim, to this perfect make-believe world. No twist, nothing innovative here.

The one thing I found interesting, was that even in this seemingly perfect world, Dean still wasnt respected. Boy, this guy has some serious low-esteem issues.

Its a shame that Papa Winchester didnt make an appearance. The most touching scene for me was the one when Dean visited Johns grave and raged at the injustice of having to sacrifice his personal happiness to save other peoples lives. Id love to see both of them having an honest talk some day.

All Hell Breaks Loose part 1

Oh man, what an ending! This is just a very quick note, as I cant wait to see the next episode. I can just imagine what happened when this ep aired originally, LOL.

So, great episode. I liked how Sams disappearance was handled; the moment the car stopped I knew something would happen, but I was still surprised at how swift and quiet Sams kidnapping was.

It was great to see Andy again (*sob*). Nice twist with Ava at the end, I didnt see it coming. I wonder if she guessed what happened to her fianc or was her reaction to at least this piece of news honest.

Shame Jake didnt trust Sam at the end. I liked him and would like to see more of him, but I have a feeling that Bobby wont let him get away (btw, I SO understand Ash's love and protectiveness of Bobby. He grows on me incredibly fast.)

What happened to Ellen and Ash? I refuse to believe they died.

Umm, thats all Ive got right now. I need to know what happens next. I suspect Dean will follow in his fathers footsteps and make some deal with one of the demons. I vaguely remember reading something about that years ago, when I had no idea what SPN actually was. Well see.

All Hell Breaks Loose part 2

So Ash is really gone? :(

Yay for Ellen being alive and in the mood for some demon ass kicking .

Also, Bobby, I like you but Im so disappointed you let Jake get away. As to Jake: good riddance.

Great to see Papa Winchester again, I only wish it was for longer.

I think I liked the first half of the episode better than the latter. The stuff with Deans grief, the deal and subsequently Bobby and Deans talk was some of the shows most intense, I think.

The death of the yellow-eyed demon was somewhat anti-climactic. I kept expecting another twist that never came.

I loved the idea of the huge devils trap, but I am a bit confused how it was destroyed. I thought that once something was trapped inside, it couldnt leave no matter what? So how were the demons able to break through the tracks from the inside? Shouldnt they be trapped as well?

I know that the war is coming/starting, but honestly, the ending didnt leave me with a sense of urgency or dread or OMG what happens now feeling. It felt pretty tied up, as if TPTB werent sure whether there would be season 3 or not so they decided to end in a way that would also serve as a series finale, just in case. Kinda like SGU, come to think of it.

The Magnificent Seven

7 Deadly Sins, huh? Quite ingenious.

I liked the hunter couple, but I had to close my eyes when the guy was forced to drink that drain liquid. Man, I cant watch scenes like that, my knees get weak from imagining how it must feel like. Brrr.. That Tamara girl was very pretty though.

I couldnt help but think that the guy who was possessed by Greed (or was it Envy?) got what he deserved. I mean, trash bins start to rattle, lights start to flicker, you see such unnatural storm cloud and you dont turn around and run like hell?! Whats the matter with him?

I loved the little humorous touches with Deans hedonism. Thats so in character for him, LOL.

Bobby in a suit. Im speechless. Better yet, angry!Bobby. Wow. And Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. LOL. So much win here.

Greeds monologue was quite interesting, and I just loved Deans unashamed admittance to being a walking poster of gluttony and lust.

Also, the conversation between the brothers at the end was one of my favourites in the show.

And I'm back on track with the (re)watch! :)