Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS9 Valiant

I just have a few comments about this ep:
    • Why didnt Nog take charge as he was the senior officer (a Leiutenant as opposed to cadets)?
    • I think the writers missed a great scene of Sisko seeing Nog's rank! And Bashir having to address Nog as sir!
    • Its a shame the captain died as i would of loved to of seen his smug face after a dressing down from Sisko!
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Nog was a ensign not a lieutenant and the cadets would never have obeyed him
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Plus Nog had his head in the clouds when the douchebag of a Captain made him chief engineer like O'Brien and gave him the temporary rank increase.

As for Nog not taking command, the previous Captain gave them orders and Nog as an Ensign would not be able to countermand those orders.
      Last edited by SaberBlade; 21 January 2011, 06:32 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Nog was a ensign not a lieutenant and the cadets would never have obeyed him
        This is the unfortunate answer. I bet things would have gone infinitely better if Nog had been able to take command--as he should have been able to do.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So an ensign is higher than a cadet?
          (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
            So an ensign is higher than a cadet?
            Er....obviously.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Cadet>Crewman>Ensign>Lieutenant, j.g.>Lieutenant>Lieutenant Commander>Commander>Captain>Vice Admiral>Rear Admiral>Admiral>Fleet Admiral

Comment

An ok. I think they could of made some funny scenes with Bashir having to address Nog as Sir!

Comment

An ok. I think they could of made some funny scenes with Bashir having to address Nog as Sir!
                  Bashir has always been an higher rank then Nog.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

But when Nog was a LC would Bashir have to address him as Sir or do field promotions work differently?

Comment

Despite what those cadets thought the Valiant ranks were not valid.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

But when Nog was a LC would Bashir have to address him as Sir or do field promotions work differently?
                        Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Despite what those cadets thought the Valiant ranks were not valid.
                        Jelly's right. Whoever is senior officer in the field is senior officer. Cadet ranks and field promotion ranks are irrelevant. They're made by an officer (in this case the dead captain) with an incomplete picture of events to come. It's all well and good to make someone acting captain, but as soon as someone with actual rank comes along, that trumps said acting rank.

Comment

According to Ronald D. Moore, who wrote the episode:
                          That's the way it would've worked in the USN. I decided to go with a somwhat older idea that a lawfully designated commanding officer cannot be removed from command except by someone of flag rank. (I'm over-simplifying this idea, but this is roughly the way that things worked in the 18th-19th century Royal Navy.) Captain Watters was given a valid commission and had held his command for eight months. It didn't seem like I was stretching things too far to allow him to continue in that role when Nog arrived -- and remember that Nog was also commissioned as a young cadet who hadn't even been at the Academy for as long as Watters.

Comment

Oversimplifying indeed. I'm sure the designation would stand if it were a commander who'd been granted captaincy, but in the case of cadets vs. fully commissioned officers I think it's pretty clear who should have had command authority.

Valiant is an episode I have a very hard time sitting through because of how monumentally stupid I find the premise.

Comment

I never thought I'd miss Wesley Crusher

And luckily Jake's escape pod was coated with Plot Armor!

Comment

Working...
                              X