PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood: Goofs, Gaffes, and Curiosities

DigiFluid
January 15th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Just some stuff I've been noticing and thinking on since re-watching the show lately....

Gwen, Owen, and Rhys
So....did Gwen just suddenly come to terms with the fact that she was shagging Owen and cheating on Rhys? I know she told him that one time, but then she retconned him. And he didn't say he forgave her as she so desperately seemed to want. Then they're engaged as of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. What happened? Did she ever own up, or did she just decide to deal?

Bilis Manger
Who the heck was he? What happened to him after his master was defeated?

Jack's Disappearance
Just how long was Jack supposed to have been gone between Series 1 and 2? A "Vote Saxon" poster was seen in Captain Jack Harkness, the Master was apparently recently elected in DW The Sound of Drums, and the Doctor dropped Jack off right outside the Hub at the end of Last of the Time Lords so....what happened? He'd apparently been gone for a while as of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, so what did he do, go take a holiday?

Time Agency & Attack on the Boeshane Peninsula
So who exactly did attack the Boeshane Peninsula when Jack was young? And what's the history of the Time Agency? How did this apparently perpetually under-siege place spawn a time-travelling organization?

Adam
How could Retcon have defeated Adam? The memories he'd implanted were recent, yes, but they disturbed longer-term memories as we saw when Gwen forgot who Rhys was. So their short-term memories were erased, but shouldn't their long-term memories still be buggered?

As for Adam himself, why did he die at the end of Adam? He'd been seen earlier in the day by Rhys, who most definitely did not take Retcon. Maybe Adam would've lost his name and a great deal of strength, but he should still have been alive.

Sapphire_Jade
January 15th, 2011, 02:36 AM
you make some good points.. I thought the same things when I watched it.. but just kind of blew it off stuff like that happens a lot on TV and in Scifi.

but as for Jack's disappearance I believe he was gone for I think they said 3 months? (correct me if I am wrong) and he was most likely with the Doctor during that time.. The Doctor doesn't always get you back the exact time you left...

concerning Gwen I just assumed she decided to just deal with it and keep her affair with Owen a secret.

The Time Agency.. We don't know enough it was never told.. they are still slowly revealing all of that.. Jack is a man with a lot of secrets.. but it seems they are slowly coming out.. so I hope more of that will be answered in the coming seasons.. :D

as for the other two questions.. I have no flipping clue.. I also wondered who Bilis was and why he could manipulate time like that.. sometimes you just got to accept that a story is left hanging... who knows they might encounter Bilis again in the future and maybe that's why the writers left it like that..

and Adam.. I am assuming that because Adam never altered Rhys' memory is the reason why he died.. also he was mostly feeding off of Jack off of all his memories (if I remember correctly) so when Jack deprived him of the memories of his team and himself the entity had nothing to feed on and ultimately died as a result.. at least that is what I gathered from it.. does it make sense no not really, but it's scifi does it need to make sense no not really...lol.. :)

DigiFluid
January 15th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Oh, couple more I just thought of....

Depending on the exact date, there are either 3 or 4 different Jacks present in 1941. The one from The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, the one from Jack living out his life after accidentally landing in the 19th century, the one at the party in Captain Jack Harkness, and the buried one in Exit Wounds. Talk about crossing one's own timeline!

One thing that reaaaaaaally bugged me though was the whole Gray thing. At the end of Series 2 there's that big somber moment of Jack freezing his brother and keeping him in the Hub, to be maybe revived one day. And then....the Hub gets blown up in Children of Earth and there's no mention of it whatsoever. Feh.

LtColCarter
March 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Just some stuff I've been noticing and thinking on since re-watching the show lately....

Gwen, Owen, and Rhys
So....did Gwen just suddenly come to terms with the fact that she was shagging Owen and cheating on Rhys? I know she told him that one time, but then she retconned him. And he didn't say he forgave her as she so desperately seemed to want. Then they're engaged as of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. What happened? Did she ever own up, or did she just decide to deal?

Yes, I wondered about that too. She was having a real moral issue with what happened, and then it was like *poof* all issues are gone.

Bilis Manger
Who the heck was he? What happened to him after his master was defeated?

Another good question. After his one episode...he's not mentioned again. At least not that I remember.

Jack's Disappearance
Just how long was Jack supposed to have been gone between Series 1 and 2? A "Vote Saxon" poster was seen in Captain Jack Harkness, the Master was apparently recently elected in DW The Sound of Drums, and the Doctor dropped Jack off right outside the Hub at the end of Last of the Time Lords so....what happened? He'd apparently been gone for a while as of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, so what did he do, go take a holiday?

I wondered the same thing...I wish I knew a little more of what happened to during that time.

Time Agency & Attack on the Boeshane Peninsula
So who exactly did attack the Boeshane Peninsula when Jack was young? And what's the history of the Time Agency? How did this apparently perpetually under-siege place spawn a time-travelling organization?

I was wondering about that too. Who created the Time Agency...what purpose did it serve...etc.

Adam
How could Retcon have defeated Adam? The memories he'd implanted were recent, yes, but they disturbed longer-term memories as we saw when Gwen forgot who Rhys was. So their short-term memories were erased, but shouldn't their long-term memories still be buggered?

As for Adam himself, why did he die at the end of Adam? He'd been seen earlier in the day by Rhys, who most definitely did not take Retcon. Maybe Adam would've lost his name and a great deal of strength, but he should still have been alive.

Yes, Adam was another story line that I think could've been expanded on. It just seemed to easy to get rid of him.

Oh, couple more I just thought of....

Depending on the exact date, there are either 3 or 4 different Jacks present in 1941. The one from The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, the one from Jack living out his life after accidentally landing in the 19th century, the one at the party in Captain Jack Harkness, and the buried one in Exit Wounds. Talk about crossing one's own timeline!

I know...right...that is really crossing one's timeline. We know how they kept the buried one from seeing the others...but how did the other Jacks not see each other?

One thing that reaaaaaaally bugged me though was the whole Gray thing. At the end of Series 2 there's that big somber moment of Jack freezing his brother and keeping him in the Hub, to be maybe revived one day. And then....the Hub gets blown up in Children of Earth and there's no mention of it whatsoever. Feh.

Yes...the Gray story line bugged me too. I'd not seen CoE yet, but know I know how it ends! ;)

Sapphire_Jade
March 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
I wondered the same thing...I wish I knew a little more of what happened to during that time

Watch Dr Who Season 3 Utopia and the two parter Sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lord you will see what happened :D Like I said in my previous post the Doctor doesn't always get you back the day you left it happened with Rose..

DigiFluid
March 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
Yes...the Gray story line bugged me too. I'd not seen CoE yet, but know I know how it ends! ;)
Fear not, that's not how CoE ends :)

LtColCarter
March 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Fear not, that's not how CoE ends :)

Well, this is good to know! :)