so all that time devoted to TJ's 'dream' was for nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so all that time devoted to TJ's 'dream' was for nothing

if all it was, was a dream. then they kept focusing on how she believed it, only to reveal it was all in her head.

What was the point?

actually we STILL don't know that. it's an assumption by the crew but not necessarily true.

also it's called character development.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulder1975 View Post
      if all it was, was a dream. then they kept focusing on how she believed it, only to reveal it was all in her head.

What was the point?
      There isn't any certainty about what it was - whether it really was some other presence, whether it was the ship messing with her head (and why) or if it was purely in her head.
      The storyline has yet to play out, I think.
      As for the point, I guess that also comes down to what you believe - and maybe that's the point and in that, Caine was right. it comes down to who you are and what you believe. Does TJ believe in some other power - and therefore not in the ship and not in the people she's with? Does TJ believe in the power of the Destiny? Does she believe in her crewmates? Does she believe in herself? I don't think we're supposed to get neatly wrapped up answers packaged and delivered for us.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

What was the point?
        Maybe to show what humans are about? A big question a lot of people asks themselves, and find a different answer. It's about faith, and hope, about things who happens, aren't just for nothing. It was T.J's way to deal with her loss. Something personal, but with an science fiction explanation about a ship who is able to influence their crews mind. That's a little bit creepy, a robot who's able to read peoples thoughts, isn't it?
        sigpic

Comment

I think (and it's just a guess) that the intention was to continue to explore the "planet-builders" storyline, and that we would have gotten more on the question of exactly what happened to TJ - the main reason being the sight of the nebula that was in her dream in the "real world".

On the other hand, it could be that the nebula was "used" by Destiny as part of the dream that it caused TJ to have.

I'm not sure if it will be explored more in the last 10 episodes or not, however.
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Poor writing?

Honestly, that about sums it up. They needed a shuttle craft for the big season 2 mid season finale so they had only one choice to do it.

SGU is a litany of poorly done stories intermixed with a few really good ones. Eli becoming basically worthless, chloe being there to keep scott's gun clean, Rush & Young fighting endlessly and in the end you choosing between the guy you hate but is probably right or the guy you only midly dislike but is probably wrong. Let this be a final nail in the coffin for terms like "anti-hero" and "Drama based scifi" because BSG didn't have an entire crew of people I disliked fighting each other and going to dance clubs or having lonely dinners at home with their lovers.

It's harsh to say but in the end the only charecter I think really did "Well" for the series were Greer who actually developed and had some drama without being soap opera. Rush was a close second if he wasn't played as Gaius Baltar 2.0 for the first season. Second season he was a far more interesting character. Young? Screw up drunk. Wray? Lesbian. (Not demeaning, but that's all her "Development" turned into, we know nothing more then she's a HR generalist lesbian.) Chloe? Her best work was in the bedroom and that's not saying much. Eli? Almost had a story with the new girl... which lasted 47 minutes between "they hooked up" and "She got killed." not what I'd call an arc or developed unless your counting it against Chloe. Scott? Finally got past the "Sir, Yes Sir" far too late and with boring backstory making you question his values.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
              Poor writing?

Honestly, that about sums it up. They needed a shuttle craft for the big season 2 mid season finale so they had only one choice to do it.

SGU is a litany of poorly done stories intermixed with a few really good ones. Eli becoming basically worthless, chloe being there to keep scott's gun clean, Rush & Young fighting endlessly and in the end you choosing between the guy you hate but is probably right or the guy you only midly dislike but is probably wrong. Let this be a final nail in the coffin for terms like "anti-hero" and "Drama based scifi" because BSG didn't have an entire crew of people I disliked fighting each other and going to dance clubs or having lonely dinners at home with their lovers.

It's harsh to say but in the end the only charecter I think really did "Well" for the series were Greer who actually developed and had some drama without being soap opera. Rush was a close second if he wasn't played as Gaius Baltar 2.0 for the first season. Second season he was a far more interesting character. Young? Screw up drunk. Wray? Lesbian. (Not demeaning, but that's all her "Development" turned into, we know nothing more then she's a HR generalist lesbian.) Chloe? Her best work was in the bedroom and that's not saying much. Eli? Almost had a story with the new girl... which lasted 47 minutes between "they hooked up" and "She got killed." not what I'd call an arc or developed unless your counting it against Chloe. Scott? Finally got past the "Sir, Yes Sir" far too late and with boring backstory making you question his values.

Tim
              What does any of that have to do with the question that was asked?
              "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
              - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
                What does any of that have to do with the question that was asked?
                absolutely nothing

Comment

It has to do with the topic which is that it's just another example of poor writing.

There is no point. Drama for the sake of drama without any actual drama being created of value.

Tim

Comment

It has to do with the topic which is that it's just another example of poor writing.

There is no point. Drama for the sake of drama without any actual drama being created of value.

Tim
                    It's better than Ghost hunting Wrestlers

Comment

You know what the equivalent of the question is?

Someone watching 'The Fifth Race' and going: "There was no point to that episode. So O'Neill goes through some pointless Deus Ex Machina? They told us nothing about who really built the gates..." etc....etc...
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Tim
                        Poor writing? How? Because questions were brought up? How was it drama for the sake of drama? It told a story that put a character in a situation where something traumatic happened and she had to deal with the fact that no one would believe her when she told them what had happened. I found it to be a very solid episode and have re-watched it many times since it aired.

Comment

What was the point?
                          They needed a shuttle for the mid season finale. Voila
                          sigpic

Comment

It is better then ghost hunting wrestlers but not by as much as it should be. The writers could of just found a shuttle bay instead of in 3 episodes making destiny give people delusions and making TJ's baby just another one.

As far as a charecter arc I'd say look at Starbuck in bsg for an arc this was just a lame few episode Segway. Good drama isn't done over 2 episodes and that's about as long as any arc went. Tj looses baby, Tj finds out young is having delusions, Tj finds out her baby didn't go to planet builder planet. That's not an arc or drama Daniel loosing his wife was a drama arc that took time twists and turns if they just had Daniel dream of sha'ra then find her dead in a later episode that woundnt of been an arc.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                              They needed a shuttle for the mid season finale. Voila
                              That's got nothing to do with the TJ and baby story. Whether TJ's baby was taken to the planet made up a grand total of about four lines. Even if the ship (or who/whatever) hadn't shown her the planet then those people STILL would have been sent back to the Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                              X