Prophet's powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prophet's powers?

Why didnt the Prophets help the bajorans during the cadassian occupation? Couldnt they of easily destroyed them?
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

That didn't care. The Prophets don't care about corperal matters. The only reason they helped in the Dominion War was because Sisko was going to kill himself
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

if they dont care about corperal matters why do they care about Sisko and the Emissary?
      "You don't know half of it".
      Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
      (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

They care about Sisko because it's his destiny to save the Prophets from getting their asses kicked by the Pah Wraiths and Dukat. Anything they would have done, was designed to keep Sisko as their Emissary, which included returning Akorem Laan to reclaim the Emissary title just so Sisko would be more willing to be the Emissary.

Ultimately, everything the Prophets did was for self preservation.

sigpic

Comment

They care about Sisko because it's his destiny to save the Prophets from getting their asses kicked by the Pah Wraiths and Dukat. Anything they would have done, was designed to keep Sisko as their Emissary, which included returning Akorem Laan to reclaim the Emissary title just so Sisko would be more willing to be the Emissary.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post

That's not strictly true. They still do feel a minor responsability to Bajor. But it's fleeting. They are happy enough to give them the orbs and say they are 'Of Bajor' but that's more because they like the legend that the Bajorans weave around them. Of course all that probably originated with their first fight against the Pah Wraiths.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              That's not strictly true. They still do feel a minor responsability to Bajor. But it's fleeting. They are happy enough to give them the orbs and say they are 'Of Bajor' but that's more because they like the legend that the Bajorans weave around them. Of course all that probably originated with their first fight against the Pah Wraiths.
              I don't believe the Orbs were ever meant for Bajorans though, but others like the Prophets;

SISKO
              I'm not your enemy... I've been sent
              here by the people you contacted.

PICARD ALIEN
              Contacted?

SISKO
              With your devices. Your orbs...

PICARD ALIEN
              We seek contact with other
              lifeforms... not corporeal creatures
              who would annihilate us...

SISKO
              I have not come to annihilate
              anyone...

So despite being "Of Bajor", it's the planet rather than having anything to do with the Bajorans. So I don't believe they ever had any interest in the Bajorans, and even though Sisko once said the Prophets encouraged the Bajorans to make a religion around them, I honestly think it was the Bajorans own choice. The Bajorans pick their Kai, it was the Kai who picked the Emissary (at least with Sisko) and the Prophets never called him Emissary, just "the Sisko".

sigpic

Comment

The Prophets couldn't help the Bajorans because it would create a paradox where Sisko never discovers the wormhole.

The Prophets didn't know about the universe or linear time until Sisko met them. That means everything that the Prophets did outside the wormhole, with the exception of sending the orbs, were done because of Sisko's discovery of the wormhole. That means the Prophets didn't know about the Occupation until after Sisko came along. However, since they exist in non-linear, they could still alter the timeline and help the Bajorans but if they did that then Sisko would never discover the wormhole, the Prophets would never learn about linear time and they would never help the Bajorans. It would just create one big paradox.

In fact, Sisko himself is a paradox since he discovered the Prophets and the Prophets took control of his mother so that he could be conceived. It's a paradox where the future is the past and the past is the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                  That means everything that the Prophets did outside the wormhole, with the exception of sending the orbs, were done because of Sisko's discovery of the wormhole. That means the Prophets didn't know about the Occupation until after Sisko came along.
                  These are linear actions which supposebly shouldn't be able to take place because the Prophets are non-linear. For a non-linear being its impossible to learn something you didn't know before or take an alternative course of action because of a certain event.

Even if we let the writers off the hook and say that only the Prophets existence inside the wormhole is non-linear then just the fact that they ever leave the wormhole creates a paradox.

Comment

They're supposed to be gods. They're not meant to be rationalized.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't think a being that could defy logical absolutes would be killable.

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                        Why didnt the Prophets help the bajorans during the cadassian occupation? Couldnt they of easily destroyed them?
                        You keep asking these DS9 questions. You should also pose these questions on the Deep Space 9 Superior thread, you would be hard pressed to find a smarter group of Trek/scifi fans anywhere (especially DS9).

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                          You keep asking these DS9 questions. You should also pose these questions on the Deep Space 9 Superior thread, you would be hard pressed to find a smarter group of Trek/scifi fans anywhere (especially DS9).
                          The problem with the DS9 Superior thread is things tend to get overlooked, especially if baseball is involved.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X