Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Letter Media's Revenge of the Sith review is finally out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Letter Media's Revenge of the Sith review is finally out.

Warning: The Review contains adult language and themes.

http://www.redlettermedia.com/sith.html

I love these reviews. I realized as I was watching yesterday that they reviewed the TNG movies too. I'll be checking them all out soon. Great stuff. He definitely thinks the stuff through and makes many great arguments.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
      I love these reviews. I realized as I was watching yesterday that they reviewed the TNG movies too. I'll be checking them all out soon. Great stuff. He definitely thinks the stuff through and makes many great arguments.
      While I agree with Episode I and II, I found this review to be more of the same without any meaning behind it. Episode III was undoubtedly not perfect, and in the other ones he was right to harp on stupid production decisions and lack of focus, but I don't see that here. He spends all this review attacking things in the film that I found, frankly, fine or even excellent, and I just didn't get with almost any of his points this time around. While he was good when he started out, I think he's just gotten into the trap of "OMGZ THE PREQUELS ARE ALL THE BADDEST FILMZ EVER MADE AND NOTHING GOOD ABOUT EM," which just isn't true.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        While I agree with Episode I and II, I found this review to be more of the same without any meaning behind it. Episode III was undoubtedly not perfect, and in the other ones he was right to harp on stupid production decisions and lack of focus, but I don't see that here. He spends all this review attacking things in the film that I found, frankly, fine or even excellent, and I just didn't get with almost any of his points this time around. While he was good when he started out, I think he's just gotten into the trap of "OMGZ THE PREQUELS ARE ALL THE BADDEST FILMZ EVER MADE AND NOTHING GOOD ABOUT EM," which just isn't true.
        While I agree that Episode 3 was the best of the prequels there just wasn't that much that was good about it. When I first watched it it was awesome. After the first viewing though all the flaws started showing themselves. I do think he made too big of a deal about the lightsaber reaction drop shot, but the questions about Palpatine's kidnapping definitely occurred to me many times. I also agree that Anakin was made too big of a part of the story while absolutely nothing of his training was show. Of course the war means little to nothing to me because there was a limitless number of clone troopers to fight, the only non-clones fighting were the generals and Jedi, and they never made an attempt to show the refugees that were driven from their homes by this galaxy spanning war. Of course that's just a few things.

Comment

lol the autopsy analogy is exactly how I feel about SGU haha

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
            lol the autopsy analogy is exactly how I feel about SGU haha
            This is what I meant by people going into random threads and ****ting on the show, by the way. Though I agree that it was a very amusing anology.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

i mean i know he has the right to freedom of speech but did he really have to criticize every teeny tiny thing about it?

Comment

A lot of the criticisms are jokes. He even mentions how the original trilogy had a lot of plot holes too but they were good enough that you could forget about all their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                  A lot of the criticisms are jokes. He even mentions how the original trilogy had a lot of plot holes too but they were good enough that you could forget about all their problems.
                  Then I think he should go review them in the same manner. In the interest of fairness.

And then watch everyone who loved beating up on the prequels turn on him in a rage.

Comment

I love Plinkett's reviews, and alot of his criticisms make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      I love Plinkett's reviews, and alot of his criticisms make sense.
                      Indeed they do. I even enjoyed his review of Star Trek Generations and First Contact. They were very good. I like how he notices that Picard is a very calm rational person on TNG, but in the movies he gets very angry pretty easily and loses the rational parts of him. I never noticed before watching those first two reviews. The next two are soon to come on my watch list.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        Then I think he should go review them in the same manner. In the interest of fairness.

And then watch everyone who loved beating up on the prequels turn on him in a rage.
                        Except he would have a lot more praise for the prequels than criticisms. No movie is perfect but good movies have a lot more good things than bad. The prequels have practically nothing good with the exception of the special effects.

Concerning some of the nitpicking, like the criticisms about tone, blocking, framing, etc., I think they're perfectly fair. People do notice them, they just aren't really aware of them unless they watch the movie in a certain mindset. For example, when you watch an exploitation film, you notice all the little mistakes they make. You notice how the tone of the film changes for no reason, how the actors react strangely to situations, how simplistically the shots are framed, etc. These things are always in the back of your mind when you're watching a movie but you only consciously notice them when you watch certain types of movies like exploitation films where you notice all the mistakes and laugh at them. The prequels were pretty much exploitation films but instead of exploiting race, sex, or violence, they exploit special effects.
                        Last edited by Giantevilhead; 05 January 2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I watched his review of First Contact and agreed with pretty much all his criticisms but none of them made me enjoy the film any less (in fact most made me enjoy it more) and in my opinion its one of the best Star Trek films.

Doesn't seem like it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                            I watched his review of First Contact and agreed with pretty much all his criticisms but none of them made me enjoy the film any less (in fact most made me enjoy it more) and in my opinion its one of the best Star Trek films.

Doesn't seem like it matters.
                            Agreed. When you love a movie you're gonna love it no matter how bad people say it is. Even if that "badness" is something that you technically agree with. I feel the same way about First Contact.

Comment

First Contact did have a lot of missed opportunities. It could have been written in a way that made Picard's anger more understandable. They introduced the idea that the Borg were in Picard's head and if they had expanded on that, it could have explained Picard's lapses in judgment. They should have also made a point about Picard's lack of experience in fighting close quarter combat. I don't think he's ever faced a situation where he actually had to fight off hostile invaders. It would have made more sense for Picard to put Worf in charge of repelling the Borg.

Comment

Working...
                              X