gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
yes more then once

AresLover452
December 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah, now I miss junior too.

gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
lol do u remember when they first met him they were all grossed out but they grew to respect juniors healing ablity

AresLover452
December 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
yeah, I remember that... I was grossed out... lol!!

gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
it just looked like a big bug to me

AresLover452
December 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
not a bug really more like a nasty snake

gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
true i wouldn't like one in me tho

AresLover452
December 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yuck...

Though for Sam it had to be interesting being stuck with her CO and having to sleep next to him for warmth.. talk about torture.... Ooh even if she had one smidgen of feelings in the beginning that would have been hard for her.

gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
i agree

AresLover452
December 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Course it would have been the smallest piece of heaven as well. She could hold, sleep next to her CO, the man she was slowly growing to love and not have anyone see it, not get in trouble for it.

gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
i agree it still would have been hard knowing she may have to let him go in the end

AresLover452
December 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
That would have killed me.

gateship15
December 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
yes it would have killed me to

mrscopterdoc
February 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM
This episode was great! I am sure the shippers loved it :P but it had 2 fantastic lines..

Jack: It's my sidearm I swear
------------------------------
JACKSON: [To Teal'c] What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask. [To Hammond] What happens when you dial your own phone number?

HAMMOND: You get a busy signal.

hawk97135
February 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
After reading every post in this thread. I'm still not convinced as to the reasons why the Antarctic wasn't the dominant gate to begin with as it was connected to a DHD. That being said however it is very difficult to find any episode which doesn't contradict something which was established in a previous episode, or will be established in future episodes.

But this is my favourite episode of season 1 and it is among my favourite episodes in the entire series.
I found it to be a very touching episode and helped to reinforce the bonds that the team have developed with each other.

Meshakhad
April 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Excellent episode - I just rewatched it.

While I'll admit that Carter failing to dial another gate is a plot hole, I'll chalk it up to her mental state. Amanda Tapping really carried the episode.

Major Clanger
April 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Having recently read the autobiography of a doctor at the South Pole - one thing that strikes me, thinking about this ep is that Carter could quite easily have been suffereing from the lack of oxygen to the brain that you get at high altitude. Don't forget - the antarctic is a mountain range too.

Tachyon
April 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
JACKSON: [To Teal'c] What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask. [To Hammond] What happens when you dial your own phone number?

Both of those lines are great indeed. :D

Major Clanger
April 6th, 2010, 10:49 PM
and... having just watched the last of Prof Brian Cox's Solar System programmes, why assume that it's an ice planet and not just like ours and you'd arrived at a frozen pole?

Matt G
April 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't make much odds to be honest - Antarctica is pretty damn big last I checked.

Major Clanger
April 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
just sloppy thinking...
;)

Tatooinegateghost
April 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
This episode was great! I am sure the shippers loved it :P but it had 2 fantastic lines..

The telephone comment reminds me of my past. And This episode is the best in my opion of season one.

SnowWhite
April 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM
haha, I love the quote with the busy signal.. and Daniels lookwhen he notices that Teal'c's the wrong person to ask :D
But like mrscopterdoc said, the whole episode was great, especially for the shippers *counts herself as one*

m_wendy_r
April 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
I just rewatched this episode, and I gotta say I love it. Everytime I watch I just love it more. I just love how Sam just tries to fix that DHD, and is so sorry that she can't, and she blames herself. *sniff*

I did notice that she managed to not get any broken bones whilst he was falling apart. Oh my. She's apparently made of sterner stuff ;)

Girlbot
June 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Nice episode, different from the others, a time of reflection and of two people caught in what seems to be the end of their lives and still trying for a way out, but then prepared to meet their end with dignity.

Vagabond Serpent
July 7th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Solitudes... It's a true gem for Jack/Sam shippers, but since I'm not a shipper at all, it's only average episode to me, giving only the start for several long plot curves. I also didn't like that Daniel seemed to be the brain of SGC in this episode, like there wasn't anyone clever enough and with necessary specializations in the complex. But it was the first appearance of Siler and I can't pass the three hilarious scenes in the episode, not mentioning the blooper.

:sam:: What's wrong with your chest?
:jack:: I think I cracked a rib too.
:sam:: Why didn't you say something?
:jack:: I was afraid you'd try to put a splint on it. I'll be fine.

:sam:: Night... Oh....Colonel....!
:jack:: It's my sidearm, I swear...

:daniel:: [To Teal'c] What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask.

Questions I read back few pages are quite interesting, so there're my thoughts on them.

Is the Antartic gate older than Egyptian?
I'd say definetly, maybe even the oldest StarGate in Milky Way.

Why wasn't it primary if it has DHD and SGC one is jury-rigged? Why the teams are returning to SGC, not there?
Because DHD was buried in ice, and severed from the gate. Thus this one remains dormant, while SGC gate is primary. That Jaffa probably got there and didn't make it out when the Egyptian gate was buried. I agree that maybe Apophis decided to check that out and sent a Serpent Guard to investigate. The main Gyza gate was buried, so he came out of the gate in Antarctica, and even if he found the DHD and dug it out, it wasn't corellated with the others in the StarGate network and he wasn't able to dial anything. And when never returned, Goa'Uld left Tau'Ri alone until the gate was opened to the Abydos again.

Why didn't it became primary after the DHD was dug out?
The answer on this one is given much later in series, when we learn that all DHDs activate gates from time to time for the autocorellation and stellar drift compensation. This one was buried for the heck knows how long, so there weren't any, and I guess that the gates check if it's possible to dial out with DHD before establishing an incoming wormohole and create one to the "malfunctioning" gate only if there aren't other unburied dormant gates at the destination. I think it'd be correct to assume that when that Jaffa came, the DHD was already buried in ice for a long time, and even if he dug it out, it stayed unfrozen for too short period. So until the next autocorellation, which one could happen only if the DHD has enough power and is connected to the gate, it will be dormant. But since DHD completely died soon, that wasn't going to happen at all. Well, maybe if it was brought to SGC and connected with the egyptian gate, then it'd be possible to reprogram and use it properly. And it'd be much easier to dial address from there and no safety protocols wouldn't be bypassed during dialing. But if the power cell was depleted severely after millenias in the ice, I doubt that it'd last for too long during such active usage. But... If NID was able to use it next season, then maybe SGC did plugged it to the egyptian gate and reprogrammed it slightly in some way, but also they saw that its power is depleting and locked it away with the Antarctic gate until the bad days? Bah, the intial question lead to the myriad of others... :P

Why didn't the reset Carter did forced the autocorellation?
I think probably because it's something that happens to all gates simultaneously, and time period between autocorellations is programmed deep within the DHDs, so no reset would force it. But it forced clearing of the memory banks or circuits or whatever that thing has, so after the "reboot" the gate did it best to dial the Earth, "forgetting" that it's there and that it already tried it and caused tremors that were noticed by Daniel and eventually led to the rescue of Sam and Jack.

Why the kawoosh is facing opposite direction to Sam and Jack?
Well, this one is of the family of huge plot holes, but I think it can be explained somehow. :P Maybe it's an old kawoosh, maybe the gate has turned over somehow, but that's a very wild speculation. What I really like to think is that since it was an Ancients outpost or at least nearby, and since I know from SGA that Ancients dialed the gate like we do - someone dials while others stand below and next to the gate, so maybe someone else was supposed to dial the gate for the awaiting travellers. And if it so, I further think that all the overload that occured in the gate discharged at SGC, and the wormhole simply let Sam and Jack out without a kick before closing itself behind them and they rolled down the ice ramp through the gate and to where they awoke, hurting themselves. Look at the frames when they're awakening - the gate is quite elevated relative to them, or when Carter jumps down from the frozen DHD - she slided down the ice from gate to Jack.

Why Sam assumed that the planet is in an Ice Age?
Simply because they were used to the fact that StarGates are usually situated in the most populated areas, and are often the symbol of religious importance. So if the gate is inside of glacier and outside is ungoldy amount of it and snow, well, I'd thought that I'm on an icy planet, which was inhabitated long ago, too.

Finally, why Sam didn't try to dial another planet?
First of all, because she had no idea that she's on Earth, then because she thought that if she can't dial Earth where everything was neat an hour ago, then the problem is on their side, with their gate, then because she probably didn't know any other addresses and finally because her mind was occupied by the only wish to return home ASAP.

6/10.

maneth
July 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Excellent episode, I love these claustrophobic eps. Interesting to learn about the Antarctic gate too.

Tallifer
September 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM
After reading every post in this thread. I'm still not convinced as to the reasons why the Antarctic wasn't the dominant gate to begin with as it was connected to a DHD. That being said however it is very difficult to find any episode which doesn't contradict something which was established in a previous episode, or will be established in future episodes.

Indeed when I watch science fiction television series, I prefer to internally justify and accomodate apparent discrepancies. (My first reaction of course is irritation at the inconsistency or morniv reasoning in the script.) A story spanning three series, several movies and two decades merits respect for its continuity and forgiveness for its foibles.

And after all, this show is way more realistic (!) and consistent than my favourite, Doctor Who.

Tallifer
September 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
This story has such a clever ending that I cannot help but adore it. Surprisingly also, it is never boring despite many slow scenes of people freezing to death inside a glacier.

Of course, I usually enjoy stories that add to the ongoing mythology, as long as the story itself is contained within the episode. (The penultimate episode of the first season was very disappointing, because it relied on extended clips and references to several other episodes to tell its story.)

There are some weird real-world theories about aliens visiting prehistoric Antarctica when ti was a lush tropical continent, so this story of a hidden stargate there appealed to me.

HolyAngelQueenSG-1
December 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Jack and Sam drop off hit ground ice. jack had broken leg and ribs... Sam help care him. Aww.... Sam hugs warm Jack is bbbbbrrrrrrr!! The Stargate wormhole move other second in Ice Antaractica Earth. :) I love it.

FrodoFraggins
March 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I kind of feel that this episode is overrated, but then again I'm not a shipper. I'm also more interested in the long term story arc than character development. I'd give it about an 8/10.

Samantha may be smart but she's not a great engineer. Her debugging skills need a lot of work!

mathpiglet
July 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I was watching this episode today while I was on the treadmill. I have the close-captioning on since the treadmill is loud. At the end of the episode, when Sam comes back to Jack, he says something. I thought I heard, "Sara", but the CC said it was "Sam".

I just checked the transcript and it is indeed 'Sara'.

SF_and_Coffee
July 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Typical of CC in my experience; they tend to get a lot wrong. It really sucks, too, as even a small mistake can change the entire meaning of something.

mathpiglet
July 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
In this case, yes! It makes a huge difference.

SF_and_Coffee
July 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Yep; it changes the whole flavor of the first several seasons.

Petra
July 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
First several seasons? How so?

SF_and_Coffee
July 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
The whole Jack/Sam 'ship thing, with relation to whether or not Jack was completely over Sara and if not, then when he got to that point. Jack calling Sara's name late-ish in Season 1, coupled with the earlier events from "Cold Lazarus" indicate there was still a connection. Meanwhile, Sam opting to play the role of 'Sara' for her possibly-dying CO is touching, whether or not you're a shipper or think there was anything between Sam and Jack at that point. If you are a shipper, then it's even more so in some ways. And personally, I feel that the idea of Jack still not having had complete closure on Sara by the 17th episode speaks to his still having feelings for her. That lends either color or complication (or perhaps just extra dimensions) to him in terms of any ship between him and Sam, and for the non-shippers, it forms the basis for thinking that he might still love his ex-wife.
It's not hard to think of these elements as all carrying forward through at least Seasons 2 and 3, or at least it isn't for me. I've even been on both sides of the 'ship divide (I used to be a Sam/Jack 'shipper, and now I'm not) and it affected me no matter which camp I happened to be in at the time.

ekolint48
August 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Very well said SF. I am not a S/J shipper and I believe that Jack did still have feelings for his ex-wife up to this point. NOt just because of my feelings toward the ship but also how the two's relationship had been developing thus far in the show. All of Sam and O'Neill's interactions in S1 were those of two people figuring each other out becoming friends, and of course their stations as military officers. From memory the S/J ship didn't really start taking shape until about early season 3 in the episode ''Upgrades. I can't remember if there were other signals in episodes during season 2, which is when I think it logically could have started progressing in that non-platonic direction, but none come to mind at the moment.

muziqaz
August 17th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Very nice episode, very well played by both Jack and Sam. really enjoyed todays rewatch even though I have watched this episode just few weeks ago.
And some goofs, in 1st scenes when unscheduled offworld activation is announced, Walter says it is SG1 IDC, and a second later you can here the gate engaging. How they managed to send an IDC if the gate hasn't been opened yet on earth? :)

One more thing, 1st gate which was buried centuries ago in egypt and later found and used by SGC. Now when it was buried and could not have been engaged, shouldn't offworld people(Goa'uld) dialing earth connect to the gate in antarctica? It has a DHD. And we know that gate with dhd takes over if it is used. Now there was nothing wrong with antarctica gate. It was perfectly functioning, except that Sam tried to dial home. So When RA or other system lord dialed earth they should have connected to antarctica and knowing goa'uld they don't really stop if there is a possibility that on earth there are now millions of possible hosts for goa'uld.
By frozen serpent guard we can assume that goa'uld tried sending scouts to the planet, but why stop? Maybe it was under water or partly frozen, thus scouts wouldn't be able to come back because in the water.
Or am I missing something?

fems
August 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Maybe the gate/DHD wasn't working when it was frozen in a lump of ice? And when Sam dug it out the gate became functional again? While it was frozen it didn't have enough energy unless the off-world gate was hit with an energy blast (like in this ep)?

*grasping at straws*

muziqaz
August 17th, 2011, 04:25 AM
we know that gates can be connected without the dhd or broken dhd. That is you can dial to the planet with the gate which does not have a dhd or has broken dhd. So frozen dhd wouldn't be a problem here I think :)

lookupwardsnshare
August 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM
One of my top ten favorite episodes. It was brilliantly shot and directed by Martin Wood. Several great shots off the gate--ending scenes at the SGC and beginning the next scene on the gate in Antartica, and vice a versa.

RDA and AT did great. Alot of great scenes between JAck n Sam. Loved the scene towards the end when Sam answers to Jack's "Sara". It was very endearing since in the beginning we learn that it was the thought of Sara that helped Jack get thru his mishap in the Iran/Iraq borders. Sam was just trying to comfort him in their situation. "It was an honor serving with you too Col"

Yay for Siler. He had some lines in this one!

Great set, makeup and continunity.

n Ah, a second gate.....

Loved this ep!!!

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Not a bad ep. Not boring at least. You can tell that Jack and Sam would have really bonded over the incident.

And yay at the second gate :)

KayLyne
August 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Solitudes is one of my favorite season 1 episodes.

I really enjoyed the military vs civilian split that they did with Daniel/Teal'c making it back while Sam/Jack didn't.

It was great to see the Sam/Jack dynamic with two soldiers struggling to survive when faced with impossible odds. First, there's Sam splinting Jack's leg. Then she continues to find a way out. He helps in what little way he can, both with chopping ice on the DHD and making her soup, while imploring her to take a much needed break to eat and keep up her strength as well as warm up.

Then it's their military training coming to the forefront as he tells her to leave him and go for help, with him finally having to "order" her to go while she reluctantly follows that order, even though she didn't want to abandon him.

It was great to see Sam fail, yet succeed at the same time. She failed to get the gate open, yet succeeded by trying long enough that it gave Daniel a clue with the "busy signal" of having the chevrons glow & vibrations in the gate room when she tried dialing that final time. However, after watching this episode so many times, I often wonder what would have happened if Sam would have been the one with the broken leg and Jack would have had to be the one to find a way out with only limited help from Sam. Would he have been able to do it? We know he tries to dumb-down his intelligence, but I'd have loved to have seen him working with technology & trying to fix the DHD. What would his reaction have been when getting out of the crevasse and seeing them surrounded by nothing but snow & ice? Would he have also given up at that point like Sam did, and go back down to die next to her? I would safely assume the answer to that would be a "yes".

Seeing Sam go sliding down the ice wall always makes me wince, knowing that AT was becoming bruised & battered each time - and not having a stunt double.

As for Daniel & Teal'c, it's great to see their struggle as well. Teal'c, the warrior, wanting to immediately go back and search for them, but can do nothing but sit & wait for repairs to be made to the gate, and having the rescue mission scrubbed when the MALP was fired on. Daniel, meanwhile, uses his only available resource - his limited knowledge of the gate system - to find the eventual solution.

The final piece of the puzzle for this episode was a bit more insight into General Hammond's character. We see him as fairly strict military - sending the MALP, scrubbing the rescue, etc - but also giving him a more human side in leading the rescue to Antarctica.

Oh, and we can't forget about Siler discussing the workings of the Stargate with Daniel, Teal'c & Hammond!

The greatest part of this one, however, was the AT/RDA MacGyver prank outtake. The greatest scene that was actually in the show was Daniel asking Teal'c what happened when you dial your own phone #, then immediately said "Wrong person to ask".

muziqaz
August 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM
<...>

The greatest part of this one, however, was the AT/RDA MacGyver prank outtake. The greatest scene that was actually in the show was Daniel asking Teal'c what happened when you dial your own phone #, then immediately said "Wrong person to ask".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkexJ-MBCQ :D super

dtheories
August 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
The Daniel/Teal'c phone dialing lines are some of the best ever. And seeing Daniel get so excited after his limited 'gate understanding leads to the discovery of a second 'gate was fun. Daniel's Amazing!

I'm awed and annoyed by Carter in this ep. I don't know if she won any awards, but she sure should have for the physicality of this ep, if nothing else. All the climbing, slipping and sliding on real hard, cold ice. Didn't appreciate her first thought being 'Daniel must have dialed wrong,' though and her singleminded focus on the DHD probably caused them to have to stick around longer when she didn't try dialing other addresses. Still, she was obviously overwhelmed by the thought of Jack injured and being his only means to survival, so I'm willing to cut her a little slack. ;-}

Learning more of Jack's history was important as was watching the 'gate explode. Especially enjoyed the editing in the control room scene early in the ep where Walter is calling out the chevron's encoded while the 'gate's spinning and locking and conversation is being batted around among Hammond, Teal'c and Daniel about whether Jack or Sam might give up Iris codes. Could cut the anxiety with a knife!

I noticed how the individual parts of the team really required each other to work smoothly, too: even if they can work things out individually, Daniel and Sam really need each other's talents and knowledge to be most effective.

Good stuff.

Petra
August 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
The whole Jack/Sam 'ship thing, with relation to whether or not Jack was completely over Sara and if not, then when he got to that point. Jack calling Sara's name late-ish in Season 1, coupled with the earlier events from "Cold Lazarus" indicate there was still a connection. Meanwhile, Sam opting to play the role of 'Sara' for her possibly-dying CO is touching, whether or not you're a shipper or think there was anything between Sam and Jack at that point. If you are a shipper, then it's even more so in some ways. And personally, I feel that the idea of Jack still not having had complete closure on Sara by the 17th episode speaks to his still having feelings for her. That lends either color or complication (or perhaps just extra dimensions) to him in terms of any ship between him and Sam, and for the non-shippers, it forms the basis for thinking that he might still love his ex-wife.
It's not hard to think of these elements as all carrying forward through at least Seasons 2 and 3, or at least it isn't for me. I've even been on both sides of the 'ship divide (I used to be a Sam/Jack 'shipper, and now I'm not) and it affected me no matter which camp I happened to be in at the time.

Honestly, I find your answer a little baffling. I would hazard a guess that you've had a misfortune of dealing with some ultra-fanatic, scary S/J shippers. :eek:

I know that 'Sara hatred' is popular among *some* S/J fanfic writers (coincidentally, these are not regarded as very good) and there used to be a few posters like that, years ago, when I first discovered SG fandom. But believe me, I haven't met a single S/J shipper who'd deny Jack and Sara still had feelings for each other in season 1 for years now. :)

Personally I can't see how it even can be denied, when throughout season 1 Jack is portrayed as still caring and thinking about her (Cold Lazarus, Brief Candle, Solitudes - right up to Within the Serpent's Grasp). That's only natural, you can't just shrug off good 10 years of marriage (at least 10, I'm guessing here). But you know what? People move on. And that's what I personally see Jack doing from season 2 onwards. Regardless of your opinion of Sam/Jack ship, it can't be denied that Sara is never mentioned/seen/heard of again with the one exception of 2 lines in The Lost City, when Jack clearly says he doesn't want to talk about her. In all those years though he was portrayed as being attracted to, and having flings with other women. So the reason for my original question and my bafflement now is, how can anyone claim that Jack was in love with Sara for several seasons, when there's not a shred of proof to support it and plenty of suggestions otherwise?

Unless I totally missed your meaning; it happens too. :o

Krisz
August 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
One of my favourite episodes. The situation Sam and Jack land in with Jack's injury turns the tables on the person ctaking charge of getting them out of the situation. Sam has to take it all on board even though she has doubts, egged on by Jack in the time he had before his injury took its toll on him. Sam steps up and keeps going until all options are exhausted.

Daniel's perseverance and reasoning are fun to watch too as he gets closer to finding the answer to what happened to Sam and Jack.

Finding the second gate, and that it was on Earth the whole time was a great revelation, loved this when I first watched this. It added to the expectation of finding out how it got there in the first place and wanting to find out who the gate builders were.

Starscape91
August 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I enjoyed this episode especially the Jack and Sam moments. What bothered me was when Sam couldn't dial home why didn't she try a different address?

Skydiver
August 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
that's always been one of the biggest plot holes...and something sam has been torn apart for over the years.

I think....a combo of cold and exhaustion. coupled with her tendency to get tunnel vision when she's trying to solve a problem. And there is also the fact that, up to this point, every other planet they've been to (19 or so), none of them had any sort of advanced medical technology. She knew that Jack needed advanced help and likely didn't think beyond 'get him home'....and the final factor I think is the thought of a single planet having 2 stargates was just totally unknown. so the idea of being home all the time never occurred to her.

KayLyne
August 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
that's always been one of the biggest plot holes...and something sam has been torn apart for over the years.

I think....a combo of cold and exhaustion. coupled with her tendency to get tunnel vision when she's trying to solve a problem. And there is also the fact that, up to this point, every other planet they've been to (19 or so), none of them had any sort of advanced medical technology. She knew that Jack needed advanced help and likely didn't think beyond 'get him home'....and the final factor I think is the thought of a single planet having 2 stargates was just totally unknown. so the idea of being home all the time never occurred to her.

I agree with that. We're still in season 1 here, where there's no such thing as an Alpha site (or offworld safehouse), no Tok'Ra allies, the Nox & Tollan have already exiled us in our first encounters with them, even Bratac hasn't gained our trust at this point. I'm sure no one had even considered a planet having more than one gate, let alone a second one being on Earth. Considering that the first time she'd seen an actual DHD was in the pilot, and they had presumed that one was never found at the dig in Giza (until they found out otherwise later), I was impressed that she already knew much of the inner workings of the device and where to even start trying to fix it.

At times, I also wondered why Sam didn't try a different address, but realize that her main focus was getting back home. It also needs to be mentioned that the DHD she uncovered had a different 7th symbol, which would bring overwhelming evidence to her that it was a different planet. Even when she got to the surface and saw the "ice planet", she still couldn't distinguish that it was Earth, just by looking at the landscape.

fems
August 21st, 2011, 04:06 AM
Sam was also injured and had hypothermia; they were in no condition to go to a different planet and possibly have to defend themselves. There were no allies or even very friendly planets at that time. We also don't know if she has actually memorized all the addresses they've been to, considering the computer dials them and from what we've seen from the briefings they only mention the planet's designations, not the actual addresses. If she did know them, the only safe planets that come to mind are Cimmeria and the Land of Light. But neither of those gates were close to the town (one a couple of miles and the other in complete darkness) and the people there weren't advanced enough to help them.

SF_and_Coffee
August 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
we know that gates can be connected without the dhd or broken dhd. That is you can dial to the planet with the gate which does not have a dhd or has broken dhd. So frozen dhd wouldn't be a problem here I think :)
It could have been a problem in that if it was frozen and unreachable/unusable, whoever gated to Earth via that gate would never have gated back to where they came from. Hence the frozen Jaffa corpse. From a Goa'uld POV, if you send a Jaffa scout to a planet via the gate, and you never hear from that scout again... and maybe you send a few more and they just vanish, never to be heard from again, you decide there's something wrong with that gate, or with the planet it's on, and you decide not to bother anymore. After all, you've already got plenty of potential hosts if you're any kind of System Lord (if you have Jaffa to send anywhere, then you're at least a minor System Lord of some type, methinks) because you'll already have humans living on whatever planets are in your domain. You don't need people from Earth.

SF_and_Coffee
August 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM

Honestly, I find your answer a little baffling. I would hazard a guess that you've had a misfortune of dealing with some ultra-fanatic, scary S/J shippers. :eek:

I know that 'Sara hatred' is popular among *some* S/J fanfic writers (coincidentally, these are not regarded as very good) and there used to be a few posters like that, years ago, when I first discovered SG fandom. But believe me, I haven't met a single S/J shipper who'd deny Jack and Sara still had feelings for each other in season 1 for years now. :)

Personally I can't see how it even can be denied, when throughout season 1 Jack is portrayed as still caring and thinking about her (Cold Lazarus, Brief Candle, Solitudes - right up to Within the Serpent's Grasp). That's only natural, you can't just shrug off good 10 years of marriage (at least 10, I'm guessing here). But you know what? People move on. And that's what I personally see Jack doing from season 2 onwards. Regardless of your opinion of Sam/Jack ship, it can't be denied that Sara is never mentioned/seen/heard of again with the one exception of 2 lines in The Lost City, when Jack clearly says he doesn't want to talk about her. In all those years though he was portrayed as being attracted to, and having flings with other women. So the reason for my original question and my bafflement now is, how can anyone claim that Jack was in love with Sara for several seasons, when there's not a shred of proof to support it and plenty of suggestions otherwise?

Unless I totally missed your meaning; it happens too. :o
You did miss my meaning somewhere, I think. As I said, I'm an ex-shipper, and the reason I abandoned 'ship (pun intended, in part to lighten the conversation here) is because it didn't really work for me from a logical standpoint, given everything else I think I understand about the characters. It was the one note that seemed to me to be a clinker in the way their relationship was portrayed, and I have theories about why it seemed largely absent or at least incredibly understated in early episodes/seasons and then surfaced more markedly later. Changes in creative direction, expectations about what viewers want to see in a television show, etc. But in any case, there were things that made me, personally, decide it didn't work for me. I have absolutely no problem with other people taking a different view; I have several 'shipper friends, and we simply agree to disagree on this one area. Heck, I've even helped fellow fanfic writers do timeline research for Sam/Jack 'ship fics just within the past couple of months, so that right there should tell you I don't have any problem with the fact that some people really get into that relationship. It just isn't my cup of tea, and I see quite a bit in the first season or two that tells me Jack still wasn't really over Sara. I liked Sara, and came to the conclusion a year or so back that I would have liked to see a reconciliation explored.

However, I don't recall suggesting that Jack ever mentioned her in later seasons, or that he never had other flings or tried to move on. Nor do I remember saying that Jack was still in love with Sara for several reasons years down the road. There isn't much evidence either way on the two of them beyond "Cold Lazarus" and "Solitudes"...

I have had dealings just recently with a few Sam/Jack shippers who seem to think they need to completely vilify Sara from day one, from the very first time we see her in the original film, even, and that really annoys me, because regardless of whether you think Sam and Jack are a match made in heaven, a bad idea, or anything in between, there's no need or good reason to believe that Sara was anything other than a loving woman and a devoted wife who lost her son to a tragic accident and her husband to his grief. Whatever happened afterward is a whole separate issue, and frankly, one thing I love about the early seasons of SG-1 is the idea that everything with regard to Jack's love life (and Sam's) is essentially open to speculation, meaning that both shippers and non-shippers can find things that make them happy. I didn't watch the later seasons (from mid-7 onward) really anyway, for completely non-ship-related reasons, so what happened then doesn't really affect my view of the characters and their lives. And when I write fic, I generally write it in an AU that has its major point of departure in Season 2, and mostly utilizes only things that were known in Season 2 anyway, even though it moves forward from there, so I'm well aware that I'm playing with a different paradigm.

Note: it isn't even that I think Jack and Sam wouldn't have been a good combination as a couple. I just eventually developed logical issues with the whole idea of two career-driven people like them carrying a torch for each other over so many years, knowing they were both unable to pursue a relationship while in the same chain of command, and also unwilling to alter that aspect of their careers for the sake of a potential relationship (and with the risk of the relationship not working, and then what has one or both of them sacrificed?)... the idea of Sam waiting doesn't seem to work for me with the other elements of her personality (yes, I know she tries a relationship with Pete, but the bit I saw of him bothered me, too). I guess I see Jack as someone who, knowing he couldn't bring himself to alter his career for her and that he wouldn't want her to do so for him, would take it on himself to discourage her feelings toward him and would do it fairly early on, as soon as he realized their predicament. I actually explore this in a fic I've not yet published, and I have him doing it in part from a standpoint of how deeply he does care about her.

That's what I love about writing fanfic: it can be my Stargate, and I can have fun with it the way I like it. :)

Jae'a
August 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
My LiveJournal Post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/5809.html)

Despite it being a Jack/Sam shippy episode, it was always one of my faves. :)

Matt G
August 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
1. This one was one heck of a set up, dump half your main team somewhere unknown. I managed to guess the "diverted somewhere between Earth and mission planet" pretty quickly but other than that...

2. Never though of ship first time round, the idea of a relationship between J+S wouldn't even enter my head for a few years. Just two military peeps trying to work out what was going on.

3. Covered the ice planet thing in a post from last year, she's got ice not only as far as she can see but realistically as far as she can travel on foot(McMurdo was 50 miles away). How she was meant to guess that they were on Earth at that point I have no idea.

4. First time round, my jaw hit the floor when Daniel said that there must be another Gate on Earth - hence cutting Sam more slack.

5. :sam:"YOu came through the Stargate". :hammond06:"Not exactly" :)

Fun ep anyway.

LeftHandedGuitarist
August 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Great episode, although strangely all my favourite scenes were those back at the SGC.

Daniel figuring things out is great to watch, although I don't really buy most of his deductions. Figuring out there's a second gate on Earth? Hmm, that's a pretty big leap in logic even though it's correct. The clues he was given certainly didn't point to that, and he's not a theoretical astrophysicist so the fact that he makes all the same deductions as Sam about what happened to the wormhole is really pushing it. In later episodes they would have a room full of scientists working on solving problems.

I love the addition of the second Earth Stargate to the show's mythology, it was a great move on the writer's part which opens up so many intereting mysteries and uses in later storylines.

- Siler's first appearance! I'd honestly forgotten all about him.

- Walter goes way over the top with his lines at the start of the episode. Am I alone in just finding his character annoying more than anything? At least in later seasons they toned him down and used him more for comedy value.

- Great dialogue: "It's my sidearm, I swear," and "Wrong person to ask."

- The set for the cold glacier was really good, and looked like a genuinely freezing and unpleasant place to be. I love the way the gate activation had cut holes through the ice.

RATING: 8.5 out of 10

Matt G
August 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
It's a leap in logic but I can also see it being a leap Daniel making. Working out that the symbols on the Stargate were constellations rather than words back in the movie was a leap of logic.

SF_and_Coffee
August 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Great episode, although strangely all my favourite scenes were those back at the SGC.

Daniel figuring things out is great to watch, although I don't really buy most of his deductions. Figuring out there's a second gate on Earth? Hmm, that's a pretty big leap in logic even though it's correct. The clues he was given certainly didn't point to that, and he's not a theoretical astrophysicist so the fact that he makes all the same deductions as Sam about what happened to the wormhole is really pushing it. In later episodes they would have a room full of scientists working on solving problems.
Except for the one clue, which was all he needed to lead him to that conclusion. The shaking that occurred when the symbols on the SGC's stargate lit up reminded him of the shaking that used to happen when they used that gate. He put two and two together in a brilliant flash of insight (something he's already known for by this time) which led to the suggestion to look for another gate. It's entirely something I can see him thinking. You don't have to be a theoretical astrophysicist to work through the problem the way he did. You just have to be blindingly intelligent and insightful, two qualities that Daniel has in spades.

Skydiver
August 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
i also think....when you eliminate the possible, whatever's left, no matter how improbable, is the answer.

in his mind, Jack and Sam HAD to be somewhere along the line from p4a771 and Earth. They checked out every planet BUT Earth.

so he then went looking for proof of them being on Earth. The shaking for one. while we rarely saw the gate shake, they'd been on 19 odd missions, and everyone on the base knew about the shaking, and he felt it again and....just one of those Eureka moments (that conveniently move the plot along and keep the story going :) )

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Really great episode. One of my favorite episodes of Season 1.

Jack & Sam cuddled together in the cold, and we found another Stargate.

Siler appeared for the first time in this episode (I think).

Tomorrow's episode takes us to another reality, which sets up the Season 1 finale.

poundpuppy29
August 26th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I am an ex shipper of Jack and Sam but this episode wasn't too shippy to me

hlndncr
August 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I love this episode. Not just one of my favorites from season 1, but the whole franchise.

I love the cool gate problem (jumping wormholes) and great twist (on earth along).

I love the beutiful direction from Martin Wood in his first outing in the SG directors chair.

I love that they went the extra mile to make it real with the refridgerated set.

I love the way Daniel and Teal'c won't accept that Sam and Jack could be gone and won't give up until they're found.

I love that the whole SGC backs them up, with Ferretti and his team ready to go in whatever it takes.

I love that Sam works so tirelessly and Jack supports her and won't let get discouraged or give up.

I love that Sam tries so hard to save Jack and Jack ultimately orders her to leave hoping to save her.

I love that Sam comes back and they lay down to die together only to wake and find that General Hammond and their team have come to save them.

Oh yes, I love it all!!!

http://signavatar.com/7792_s.gif

SG1Member
August 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
This is my personal favorite episode from season 1. It's a quieter episode, not as much action, but it shows SG-1 is more than just a team, they are friends who genuinely care about each, as demonstrated by Carter's frustration at not being able to save O'Neill, Daniel and Teal'c's refusal to give up on them, even Hammond is concerned about them even if they may well be lost.

This is what I've always liked most about SG-1, how the team works together like a well-oiled machine because they know they can depend on and trust one another.

garhkal
August 27th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I wonder if they have ever IQ tested daniel. he seems awefully great at coming up with intuitive deductions.

jlovette
August 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM
No contest. This my favorite episode of season 1 for the simple fact that I never saw a second gate on Earth coming. The first time I saw it I figured it was a standard rescue of team members stuck on another planet episode.

I love the shot of Hammond looking at the gate to close the episode.

jelgate
August 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I know a lot of people love this episode. I'm not one of them. Its a boring episode for me. I'm all for exploring character interaction between Jack and Sam but it lacks action for me. Its just about suvival. I find myself more interested of the SGC end as Daniel and Tealc struggle to find their friends and learning new things about the gate.

SF_and_Coffee
August 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I love both sides of this episode. Character development is a big thing for me, and there is plenty of it all the way around. Great ep!

DigiFluid
August 29th, 2011, 05:58 AM
One of the best episodes of the entire series IMO. Not just Season 1, the whole series.

Traveler Enroute1
August 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Solitudes is one of my favorite season 1 episodes.

<snips>

It was great to see Sam fail, yet succeed at the same time. She failed to get the gate open, yet succeeded by trying long enough that it gave Daniel a clue with the "busy signal" of having the chevrons glow & vibrations in the gate room when she tried dialing that final time.

Wow, great catch, this. Nicely phrased, gives an added dimension to this scene.

However, after watching this episode so many times, I often wonder what would have happened if Sam would have been the one with the broken leg and Jack would have had to be the one to find a way out with only limited help from Sam. Would he have been able to do it? <snips>

Hmm. I sense a plot bunny. Don't think this aspect has been explored in fanfic.

Lovely review.

Skydiver
August 29th, 2011, 06:08 PM
there's a fic

http://naquada.tripod.com/solitudes.htm

rated R for naughty words

Traveler Enroute1
August 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
SG Rewatch episodes: 101 - 105, 106, 107, 109, 110, 111,112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118

Solitudes

Yes, a favorite with a gold star.

An explosive opener, with Daniel and Teal'c crashing through the gate and nearly hitting Hammond on the ramp. Then the gate closes. Someone's missing. Teal'c looks around as if the others had overlooked two officers. The colonel and the captain were missing. This after the gate goes through a massive overload, sparks profusely and fries every circuit in sight before fizzling out.

So if not there, then where? Nice cut to concentric circles just the shapes of the Stargate. Visuals of ice layers show that this was below the ground. There we find the missing officers, knocked out. An ominous beginning, well done.

Here we go on the dual story track: the SGC where everyone's working overtime to get the gate back up. The other at the frozen cavern where Sam and Jack ended up. The show seems to do this kind of story well, like Singularity. The episode introduces us face to face with Sgt. Siler (Dan Shea, RDA's stunt stand in) who's very focused and capable. He stands up to Hammond, insisting that things can only go as fast as things can go, and 24 hours was the bare minimum needed to restore the gate. Hammond demurs to his expert.

The team bonds in different pairings this time. Sam and Jack, Daniel and Teal'c. At the SGC, days pass once the gate is up, and rescue teams search nearby gate addresses for the missing members. Daniel is indefatigable in helping plot the search course, with Teal'c often on the away teams. But one too many injuries on fruitless forays prompt Hammond to suspend the search before they lose lives. Sam and Jack are declared MIA until that point.

At the ice cavern, Sam has had to set Jack's broken leg. Ouch. RDA was excellent as the badly injured colonel trying to bear Sam's inexperienced splinting. She realizes her actions are hurting him and tries to keep talking to divert him. It doesn't go well and he finally tells her to stop. She then locates the DHD and they seem home free except she can't get the stubborn thing to work. It winks on then just whines, never generating an event horizon. She tries for 12 hours straight and even with the good ol' reset off and on, can't get it going.

Amanda was sterling here, too, as she tries to tend the colonel and try to get them home. Her frustration is so painful; it's unclear why the perfect DHD and perfectly functional gate aren't clicking. After days using up their sterno and food, it looks grimmer and grimmer. She loses it more than once over her inability to do something to save them. Jack orders her to believe they will make it home but soon that order is moot.

Jack shared a story about his previous broken bones, and when Sam asked what got him through days of pain, he said it was Sarah, his wife. Sam paused at this, for what reason it's unclear. She already knew he had a wife and that they were separated. I think she was awed that anyone could endure such hardship with just the memory of another to support them. When she eventually has to leave him to seek help, she tells him she'll be back, to hold that thought. Almost as if she wanted to provide something for Jack to hang on to as well. All the more harsher is reality when she gets to the surface to find endless ice-capped mountains, no signs of life. Nice visuals here, too; Sam seems to be the only living thing around.

We feel the anguish of final defeat in Sam's voice when she makes her way back down to Jack. When she can't hear his voice, she loses her grip and does a high speed slide and crashes at the bottom. I feared she'd broken something too but apparently she's well padded. Jack isn't dead, just very weak. Sam makes her final act to comfort him and maybe herself; she'd be alone if Jack died. She responds when he calls for Sarah, telling him to sleep now. After pledging how honored they were to serve together, both prepare to die on a lonely planet far from home.

Not so fast. Daniel, unable to sleep over the situation, lingers in the control room. More shout outs to Shanks for his so loyal, driven Daniel portrayal. It's Daniel's refusal to give up that leads him to be the sole observer of the strange glowing chevrons and tremors on the dormant gate. Loved the plotting here, as Sam and Jack face death valiantly, Daniel rouses Hammond and convinces him where the two might be. And halleluja, he's right.

Famous lines:
Sam joins Jack beneath their thermal blanket to share body heat.
Sam: Uh, colonel...
Jack: It's my sidearm, I swear. Even I giggle when I hear this again.

Sam: Sir, if we don't make it, I won't have any regrets. You?
Jack: I'll regret dying.

A science-y episode with more intel on the wonders of the Stargate, a credible story, plot and resolution. The Stargate can activate gates way across the galaxy but only one gate at a time on each planet. The Goa'uld might have brought a second gate to earth if they couldn't use the first, as Teal'c explained, and as we guess from the popsicle Jaffa in the ice cavern.

The earth gate had signal dampeners installed to cut down the vibrations, Hammond informs us when Daniel proposed his theory on the two gates. The shaking was enough to register on earthquake sensors, and methodical Daniel noted the time of the tremors. Gotta love that scientific mind, even a social scientific one.

So, class: Stargates in close proximity seem prone to becoming 'confused' if energy exceeds its capacity. Excess energy will discharge to a nearby superconductor, which fortunately for Sam and Jack, is another Stargate. More fortunately its on earth, near McMurdo. In this activity it takes whatever is in the active wormhole along for the ride. Kudos to the writers and director of this one, a solid sci fi episode.

Rated 4.5/5

Addendum: This episode reminded me of a sci fi novel I read a while back, The Tartarus Incident by William Greenleaf. It involved a transport mechanism that used addresses to send matter (ships) from destination to destination. One transport ends up on an unknown arid planet with no idea how they got there or how to return. Turned out that there was an error - and the techs weren't as diligent as Siler's crew at the SGC. It went unnoticed until the ship disappeared and only one diligent junior tech had any inkling what might have happened. A glitch or miss-placed digit gave one address two locations, and although one address seemed to always work, this time it didn't. The novel was great, straight up sci fi in the beginning and that's the part I thought of when I saw this episode.

SF_and_Coffee
August 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Okay, now you've got me wanting to read that novel!

chaddergate
August 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Of course, this one's a classic!

Kunoichi
August 31st, 2011, 03:04 AM
This is definitely my favourite episode of Stargate. I love the interaction between the characters, the concern they have for each other and the plot in general.

My only real gripe with it is the fact that the whole team fly down to Antarctica to help with the rescue. I'm assuming this means it took the McMurdo rescue teams a while to locate Sam and Jack in the ice cavern, allowing the others time to fly down from Colorado, rather than them waiting for Hammond and the others to arrive.

SF_and_Coffee
August 31st, 2011, 05:29 AM
Well, the McMurdo people would have had to mobilize a team and then travel to where the ice cavern was. That would take some time, including the time for all requests to go through channels to begin with. Meanwhile, Hammond's a general, probably the highest-ranking or near highest-ranking USAF officer in Colorado Springs, with the ear of the President and direct access to transport craft flying out of Peterson AFB, with all the support availability that entails. Scrambling a transport to take the team to Antarctica probably involved no more than two phone calls and a ride to Peterson, while McMurdo was still getting up to speed on the situation.

At least, that's my take on it.

Noxbait
September 1st, 2011, 04:36 AM
"That's a great splint. STOP!"

So much to love! I like ever faithful Teal'c. When he's talking to the General in the infirmary, it reminds me of Out of mind/Into the Fire where he's so worried and talking to Hammond in the infirmary. I also love the part where Siler stands
up to Hammond and says that he can't do it in under 24 hours. I love how he's helping explain the gate and wormhole physics
to Hammond and he calls Daniel "sir." He's so cool. :)

Honestly, I just love this episode so much. The parts with Jack and Sam are pure magic (and I'm not talking in a shipper
sense.) I just love their interactions. Sam working hard to take care of her CO, figure out the mystery of what happened and
stay the strong officer she is, even though she's scared to fail her CO and also die. :) I also love their discussion over the DHD where she's going all hopeless and looking at the astronomical odds against their being found and Jack's trying to be a bit more optimistic. :) I love how he's never letting her give up hope. It is one of the most poignant and well done episodes, IMHO. They make me feel cold the whole way through! :)

"I was afraid you'd try to put a splint on it." The lines are just pitch perfect. "what's four?" "There is no four." "It's after three." "Not this time." Amazing! (and of course, "it's my side arm..." and "No giggling." and "i'll regret...dying") hahahaha! some of the funniest and best lines of the whole series. :)

I love the great showcasing of the team's friendship and individual characters. Hammond has definitely become more toned down and fatherly, but still gonna do it by the book, even if he's pacing the floor all night worrying too. Even if it were just the magic of the scenes with Jack and Sam, it would be one of my favs, but add to that the stuff we learn about wormhole physics, and the total coolness of a 2nd gate and where that whole plot arc goes in the future! This lays the ground work for a lot of cool stuff to come. And of course, I love the part where Daniel and Teal'c are doing everything they can to get back or figure out what happened and never giving up. It's cool that Daniel is wracking his brain at what is really Sam's department. I love the moment when he figures it out.
I also love how excited Hammond gets when Walter tells him about the coordinates and Teal'c and Daniel's reactions and speaking in unison is just hilarious! :)

Honestly, in a lot of ways this is my absolute favorite episode. There are a LOT of excellent episodes, but something about this one always gets me. It is a raw, pure survival story and everybody does an amazing job! Ok...i'll stop gushing now. :)

muziqaz
September 1st, 2011, 04:42 AM
<Great post>

Well, if you put it that way ... :)
But I agree, great episode :)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My only real gripe with it is the fact that the whole team fly down to Antarctica to help with the rescue. I'm assuming this means it took the McMurdo rescue teams a while to locate Sam and Jack in the ice cavern, allowing the others time to fly down from Colorado, rather than them waiting for Hammond and the others to arrive.

I keep thinking about when Hammond orders Sgt. Harriman to call McMurdo to search the coordinates. What the heck is he supposed to say? "I'm passing on orders from Gen'l Hammond for you to search these coordinates for two missing Air Force officers. You won't find any wreckage, we can't tell you how they got there, but they're not equiped for Arctic survival." If I'd been on the listening end of that one, I don't know that my reaction would've been to hop up and go searching.

Then there's "there will be a team arriving from SGC within the hour."

Seaboe

DigiFluid
September 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
No way they'd be there in an hour. Flight time alone would probably be 12+ hours.

fems
September 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Actually, that's not what Hammond is implying at all.

CARTER
General, you came through the Stargate for us…
HAMMOND
Not exactly, Captain.
(To one of the rescue team)
A team from the SGC will be arriving within the hour to secure this area. In the meantime let's get these people home.

It sounds like Hammond and the rescue team got there as fast as they could and another team, probably specialized in securing classified areas or something, was on their way as well. Perhaps they came with Hammond but were still at McMurdo or maybe they left after Hammond had already gone to rescue his people.

moondragon
October 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkexJ-MBCQ :D super

LMAO oh man...I laughed for a good 5 minutes after seeing that. Thank you for adding the link!!

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Re the joke--I've always loved the way RDA looks over his shoulder at the director and stares.

Seaboe

moondragon
October 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
This is definitely on the list of favorite episodes of Season 1. I found the frustration and anxiety fro the SGC to find Sam and Jack very moving. You were there clenching your hands and running on coffee and sleepless nights trying to find them. You were also able to see a stronger bond form between Sam and Jack as they tried to survive. Jack told Sam about his botched mission in Iran/Iraq and how the thought of Sara helped him. At the end, I think she answered as Sara to give Jack that last ray of peace before their supposed death. Some of my favorite moments were:

*Jack "Its very hard to sleep with broken ribs when someone is sleeping on you"
*Sam "um Coronel?" Jack "It's my sidearm, I sear" (I also giggle every time)
*Jack "Follow my order, please. Please" (probably the first time I ever hear him say please without a sarcastic tone. He wants to make sure she is safe so he can die knowing at least one of them made it out alive)
*Daniel "What happens when you dial your own phone number?" Turns to Tea'c "Wrong person to ask"
*Appearance of Siler, including lines, before he becomes "that SGC technitian that is always getting injured"
*2 Gates!!!! and the reason why they also meet people of different Earth religions and timelines

Dimes
December 23rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
This was an EXTREMELY important episode!
If it wasn't for this episode, the Stargate series would be different :0

Sam-n-Jack-in-<3
July 26th, 2012, 10:06 AM
GREAT episode! Especially like the fact that Hammond goes there in person. You don't see him outside the SGC very often. :hammond:

Jack has some awesome one-liners, of course. The 'sidearm' is one, and of course the line about him not saying anything about...I think it was broken ribs?.....because he thought Carter might try to put a splint on them.

Oh, and that MacGyver outtake! That one kills me. "I'm stuck on a glacier with Macgyver!!!" :D

Major_Clanger
September 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
so many many issues with this ep. So I'll condense it down to:

SAM PUT YOUR FREAKING HELMET ON

and

at this point I wonder what their SOP kit is because they are woefully underequipped

and

how the heck do you make the leap to having 2 Stargates on the planet.

a pretty "meh" ep for me.

ETA: forgot to add. Naughty Sam and Jack. The military undergo first aid training each year and the treatment for hypothermia is: get into one sleeping bag and both get naked.

(oh and: General Hammond. GET A FREAKING HAT ON)

garhkal
October 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I think daniel made the leep cause each time they were trying to dial into the SGC, the gate room shook. Now since they put dampners on the SGC's gate that should not have been happening, so it logically meant there was another gate in operation on earth.

Falcon Horus
May 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
Why the hell didn't Carter try dialling another planet? Just goes to show how stupid a genius can be, I guess.

Sure, a busy-tone doesn't stop you from trying the same number over and over again until eventually it'll connect, but gates aren't telephones no matter how many paralels there are between the two systems. She didn't have anything to loose from trying.

It'll just be my everlasting peeve with this episode, I guess.

Anyhow, hello Atlantis in the distant future (7 seasons from now anyway)...

I kinda like the look of the gate in the ice, and the hole behind it made by the vortex.

And last but not least... isn't there a blooper somewhere with AT adlibbing something about MacGyvering the DHD back together? Which had RDA rather baffled at the time.

fems
May 22nd, 2013, 05:18 AM
I prefer to think of it as Sam not knowing any "safe" addresses at the time. It's still early in the show, they have no allies yet and the only time she dials the gate is either off-world using the DHD to get home or maybe in the control room, but the latter seems to be handled by enlisted personnel if it's not automated yet. Don't forget they use those strange planet designations "based on a binary code the computer uses for extrapolation" whenever referring to the planet they're going to visit and probably only use that (rather than the actual glyphs) in their mission (de)briefings and reports too.

Now, if it had been Daniel I'd say it would be more likely he knows more addresses but Sam seemed kinda partial to (and defensive about) her designations.

Who knows, maybe this adventure was the reason everyone at the SGC had to start memorizing gate addresses to "safe" planets! :P

Falcon Horus
May 22nd, 2013, 05:47 AM
The Land of Light seemed like a good place to start... however, I guess you're right somehow that they didn't learn gate adresses until after this mishap. :p

Seaboe Muffinchucker
May 22nd, 2013, 07:44 AM
For me, it always comes back to: they were trying to get home and had nothing that would indicate that the problem wasn't on their end. Not to mention the effects of stress, cold and sleeplessness.

Seaboe

jelgate
May 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM
Standard procedure in further episodes was if Earth was unavailable you dial the Alpha Site or an off world base. Thier may have been no Alpha Site but it seems a gap in logic to not try other gates to see if the problem is Earth or the Stargate Jack or Sam are on.

fems
May 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
All good points. I guess it wouldn't have been the same if they'd dialed elsewhere! :P

And I do wonder if Sam would have been able to get Jack through the gate with his injuries etc without him dying. She's a trained field medic (or maybe she became one later, she mentioned it at some point) so she probably would have figured he should stay put, while she went through (to another planet) and then dialed Earth to get help... except she wouldn't know where she left Jack! I guess maybe she and/or Daniel would still be able to figure out the thing about the second gate on Earth but would it be in time? Without Sam there Jack probably would have died sooner rather than later, especially when he was already severely hypothermic (no shivering etc anymore) and bleeding internally. No Sam means no sharing of bodyheat so he might have been dead by the time they reached Antarctica...

Not sure if this is a good analogy, but if I have a key and the lock won't open right away I'm not going to try the house/building next door to see if maybe their door will open even though I rationally know keys can open (other) doors/locks...

Falcon Horus
May 22nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
She's a trained field medic...

It didn't show much, if you ask me. I think Jack would agree. :p

fems
May 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
It didn't show much, if you ask me. I think Jack would agree. :p

Just checked the transcripts, she mentioned it in Nemesis, so maybe it was Jack's suggestion after their little adventure in Antarctica! :P

CARTER
We brought medical supplies, and I have medical field training.

Falcon Horus
May 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Due for a refreshment course perhaps.... :p

jelgate
May 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
Stargate messes a lot of medical stuff up. But so do a majority of TV shows

Scofield
July 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Seems to me that she had absolutely no reason to think about the possibility of being still on earth. This situation never appeared before, so that she couldn't have thought about going on other planet. Don't forget that she was the genius in the matter of stargate and she kinda knew that it can't be a problem with earth's gate. If the issues encountered had lead her to the point of thinking there might be a problem with the gate on earth, she would have known and she would have acted in consequence (meaning that she would have tried other locations). Well, even if those had happened, there is a chance that she wouldn't have been able to get them both to other planet, because it was unlikely for her to know a suitable location (due to their little experience with the stargate), and due to the fact that it wasn't her job to memorise gate adresses.
Anyway, that's only my opinion.

garhkal
July 20th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Plus she wouldn't have known what POO to use.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
July 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
Actually Garhkal, you don't have to know where you are to use the appropriate POO--it's the only unique symbol on the DHD. She points it out to Jack when he asks whether she's identified the POO yet.

However, I've never had a problem with her failure to try to dial somewhere else because i) she had no reason to think they were on Earth and 2) she was suffering from (at a minimum) hypothermia. I think it's Monday morning quarterbacking to say she should've thought to try another address.

Seaboe

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Season 1, disk 4. One of my favorite episodes. There probably isn’t much to say that I haven’t already said, but I’m okay with repeating myself. ;)

First, I’ll say again that there is absolutely nothing even approaching romance in this episode. Jack, as written and played, is clearly still in love with Sara. Carter is much more concerned about getting out of there than getting it on.

Second, things I don’t have a problem with (although I can’t say I don’t notice some of them): the lack of hat on Carter, the failure to dial anywhere but Earth (see previous post), the assumption that the entire planet looks like the area around the Stargate.

Third, things that make me wonder: How did the personnel of McMurdo react to being asked (by a Sergeant, no less) to search for two missing Air Force officers in the middle of Nowhere, Antarctica? What did he tell them, anyway? Given the size of the hole in the snow, however did Rescue Team Charlie figure out where to look? (Sam’s pack was gray and would’ve looked like a rock from the air. The hole wouldn’t look any different from any other crack in the glacier) When did the security team leave Cheyenne Mountain, if they were going to reach the location within an hour of the rescue? Why did the rescue team let so many extra people (Daniel, Teal’c and Hammond) go with on the rescue when all they were going to do is get in the way?

The first few times I watched this, my favorite scenes were the early ones in the glacier (the pan from the Stargate pre-credits, setting Jack’s leg, Sam’s report of her search for Teal’c and Daniel), but the more I watch it, the more I like the later scenes in the SGC (Daniel’s determination, Teal’c stoicism that doesn’t hide his concern, poor Major Castleman, who never gets to say anything). I love the way they find them.

I have a few problems with the dialog of Hammond’s conversation with Teal’c in the infirmary. I’m not claiming I could’ve done it better, but it’s always bothered me that Hammond doesn’t tell Teal’c that the Stargate is out of commission until after he tells him he won’t send anyone through if there’s an army waiting on the other side (sorry about the pronoun pile, there).

Seaboe

adamwoit
February 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM
my one question is what happened to the beta gates DHD? The Russians recovered the giza one from the germans and it blew up in 48 hours trying to save Teal'c. So where did the Beta one go?

hedwig
February 6th, 2014, 11:13 AM
my one question is what happened to the beta gates DHD? The Russians recovered the giza one from the germans and it blew up in 48 hours trying to save Teal'c. So where did the Beta one go?

It must have been brought back with the beta gate, because the NID characters in "Touchstone" had one when they were dialing the gate at the time SG1 arrived and caught them.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
February 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM
In Frozen, (the show's been off the air for ages so I see no need for a spoiler warning) Sam notes that the one from Antarctica ran out of power; that was their first indication that DHDs could do that.

Seaboe

AsgardGirl
September 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
My favorite episode of season 1. It creates a great atmosphere in Antarctic. I watch it in really hot summer day just to get colder.

ngewakl
February 10th, 2015, 01:58 AM
After my rant post in the last episode, I wanted to rant again but this time for how much I loved this episode. But I will not. I will simply say, "Loved it!" 4.5 out of 5 stars.

blueray
February 19th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I just watched this randomly and I was thinking why didn't Sam try another gate. I would have thought it could be the earth gate that isn't working after trying to dial home a few times. Of course ironically her not giving up dialing home did get them rescued. And since it's season one they didn't have many allies or an alpha site yet.

garhkal
February 19th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Maybe cause of the trauma, she couldn't remember any other gates to dial.

Brother Freyr
February 19th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Maybe cause of the trauma, she couldn't remember any other gates to dial.
"Dammit. The only other address I remember is Chulak!"

Krisz
February 21st, 2015, 02:50 PM
I can only think she was fixated on dialing Earth and no where else due to her overriding concern for her injured commanding officer, getting him back as quickly as possible to receive medical attention. Earth was the only place at the time she knew he would get it.

hedwig
February 21st, 2015, 05:14 PM
She could have taken him to the Nox planet and asked for them to heal him.

jelgate
February 21st, 2015, 06:02 PM
The NOx gate would have buried. That said it seems a lack of logic to not try other addresses. Its that reason I have never liked this episode.

garhkal
February 21st, 2015, 09:06 PM
True, the Nox had buried their gate prior to Solitudes.

fems
February 27th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Didn't Sam have a concussion (and hypothermia)? Also, don't forget that they use designations rather than glyphs to refer to planets and it's the tech guys that do the actual dialing. Considering this was season one, there's a good chance she simply didn't know the address to a friendly/uninhabited planet.

garhkal
February 27th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Good point. IIRC it wasn't till later eps that all the team knew how to dial the gate besides daniel when they went off world.

maneth
August 23rd, 2015, 01:01 AM
True, the Nox had buried their gate prior to Solitudes.

The Nox reopened their gate in Enigma to transport the Tollan away from Earth, but that was probably temporary.

Although garkhal has a point too, all team members would probably know the address to Earth, not necessarily anywhere else.

Anja
September 5th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Daniel at his best - he found the answer.

Carter was sure the stargate malfunctioned, why should she have tried another address?
Think about it. :cool:

jelgate
September 5th, 2015, 12:08 PM
That would make Carter a pretty poor scientist

maneth
September 5th, 2015, 09:30 PM
That would make Carter a pretty poor scientist

Indeed it would.

One thing that really annoyed me was the lack of any hats. No wonder they were freezing so quickly.

This struck me once again having watched Within the Serpent's Grasp/The Serpent's Lair, when the human members of SG-1 each wore a woolly hat on the Ha'tak.

garhkal
September 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Daniel at his best - he found the answer.

Carter was sure the stargate malfunctioned, why should she have tried another address?
Think about it. :cool:

Maybe cause of shear exhaustion and injury.. Clouded her judgement.

jelgate
September 6th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Maybe cause of shear exhaustion and injury.. Clouded her judgement.

Don't buy that one since she dug her way up to the surface of Antarctica.

Claire98909
October 20th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Sorry if this is inappropriate but was it really only Jack's sidearm?

Falcon Horus
October 21st, 2015, 02:09 AM

As this is a PG-13 forum -- yes, it was just his sidearm.

:p

Anja
October 21st, 2015, 02:39 AM

Imagine the situation and the circumstances - would you think of bees and flowers then???

Falcon Horus
October 21st, 2015, 04:40 AM
Imagine the situation and the circumstances - would you think of bees and flowers then???

More like tropical beaches and warm seas. All things warm...

Seaboe Muffinchucker
April 1st, 2016, 07:34 AM
I love this episode, but... the more I watch it, the more irritated I get by minor things, like Teal'c wanting to go through the gate right after he hears it needs repair, or the seismological event matching their malfunction "to the second". Little script glitches that went by unnoticed when the episode was new to me, but grate now that I know it so well.

Seaboe

Anja
April 1st, 2016, 09:17 PM
I never understood why they did not think of a second stargate on Earth in the first place - they thought of near by planets but not of Earth itself. Maybe the ep would have been too short then.

Falcon Horus
April 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
I never really understood why Carter never tried another address, but I guess we'll cover that snafu with the veil of "she was cold and in shock"... And then she went on in Deathknell to be all awesome and yet there too she was hurt and quite possible in some sort of shock.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
April 4th, 2016, 08:11 AM
See, I don't get why people are so hung up on the fact Carter made a mistake.

First, there had been nothing in the show to that point to indicate there was a Stargate closer to Earth than Ernest's planet and/or Abydos.

Second, she was suffering from hypothermia, (Effect of Mild Hypothermia on Decision Making (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-wP7tofXLAhUJ0mMKHS8ZCu0QFgg7MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fresearch.wsulibs.wsu.edu%2Fxmlui%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F2376%2 F4002%2FK_Tinker_010206939.pdf%3Fsequence%3D1&usg=AFQjCNGhgo8FVfM_9e0C5lkp5CVFWJPTew&sig2=gDBT5A8MaiGlXqXS35e82A)). Note: I was not able to access this article from work, so cannot promise the link works.

Third, she was stressed and short on sleep.

The idea that she should have thought to dial a different planet is, IMO, Monday Morning Quarterbacking (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Monday+morning+quarterbacking) at its finest.

Seaboe

hedwig
April 4th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I never really understood why Carter never tried another address, but I guess we'll cover that snafu with the veil of "she was cold and in shock"... And then she went on in Deathknell to be all awesome and yet there too she was hurt and quite possible in some sort of shock.

About the Death Knell comment, she had 7 years of experience behind her and was running mostly on adrenaline in order to keep away from that soldier. :)

Falcon Horus
April 4th, 2016, 03:25 PM
When she joined the Stargate program she mentioned she'd done some fighter jet flying. Didn't sound like a noob either. She'd seen combat, even if from far above.

Anja
April 5th, 2016, 02:01 AM
I think Carter is/was a soldier like any other soldier - experienced, tough and strong. In Solitudes (maybe) her secret feelings towards O'Neill might have influenced her decisions - she knew he was dying without any help. I think we all would have been a bit disturbed under those circumstances.

Falcon Horus
November 26th, 2017, 06:51 AM
This episode will always be the one where I can't help but think "Why did Carter not try any other addresses?" -- it's not too much of a stretch when something doesn't work.

It's a pretty static episode, but the one where the second gate is introduced and the site in Antarctica which will later be the starting point of Atlantis. It's a pretty linear episode too where we have Carter and O'Neill in one place, and the Jackson and Teal'c at the SGC, and all of them are trying to figure out what happened and where Sam and Jack are.

Also, Siler getting some action -- our very own stargate repair man. :D Always comes in handy.

It's a pretty decent episode.

How would you rate SG-1's "Solitudes?"

Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor
Terrible

Falcon Horus
November 26th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Bringing forth the 3-episode quiz:

Solitudes -- Tin Man -- There But For The Grace Of God (https://goo.gl/forms/sP790yVjgeiVXMcN2)

Jigsaw --> Solitudes (https://www.jigidi.com/solve.php?id=7EOCLQWV)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
November 27th, 2017, 08:44 AM
The "why didn't Carter just dial another address" issue always bugs me.

She was injured (at the least, she almost certainly had a concussion). She was stressed (worried, cold, short on both fluids and food). She had no reason to think they were on Earth. All of those things affected her thought processes. It would be more remarkable, IMO, if she had thought to dial another planet.

Seaboe

jelgate
November 27th, 2017, 09:10 AM
I have never been one who likes this episode. I know that goes against the grain of conventional wisdom of fandom but I just get bored with this episode. Plus I agree wit you FH that they should of tried dialing another planet if Earth wasn't working. Something with a temperate climate. Their have been great character pieces with locking two characters in a room but to me this isn't one of them. The interaction between Jack and Sam seems forced especially Carter trying to keep Jack alive. I don't buy the honor since they haven't worked that long together. I was more interested in the SGC stuff. As we learn later having two gates and what happens when you direct too much energy at a gate are important later on. Plus their is Siler who acts a little different then he does in later epiosdes. Its a fair for me.

Holy Bacon, what are you trying to do to me with a puzzle that big FH. It took me an hour and 3 minutes. We are never doing that again

aretood2
November 28th, 2017, 05:28 PM
I have never been one who likes this episode. I know that goes against the grain of conventional wisdom of fandom but I just get bored with this episode. Plus I agree wit you FH that they should of tried dialing another planet if Earth wasn't working. Something with a temperate climate. Their have been great character pieces with locking two characters in a room but to me this isn't one of them. The interaction between Jack and Sam seems forced especially Carter trying to keep Jack alive. I don't buy the honor since they haven't worked that long together. I was more interested in the SGC stuff. As we learn later having two gates and what happens when you direct too much energy at a gate are important later on. Plus their is Siler who acts a little different then he does in later epiosdes. Its a fair for me.

Holy Bacon, what are you trying to do to me with a puzzle that big FH. It took me an hour and 3 minutes. We are never doing that again

They could have dialed the Alpha site. But I guess that was a real brain fart for Carter.
Probably didn't realize that there could have been something wrong with the Earth gate and therefore not be able to dial it.

And I saw that puzzle and I was like "nope".

jelgate
November 28th, 2017, 05:35 PM
That seems like a very poor version of logic for someone who is supposed to be a genius.

I did the puzzle on my day off so that helped

aretood2
November 28th, 2017, 06:29 PM
That seems like a very poor version of logic for someone who is supposed to be a genius.

I did the puzzle on my day off so that helped

Well I didn't have a day off when I saw it.

jelgate
November 28th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Every day is a day off for teachers

Who Knows
November 28th, 2017, 10:46 PM
2hours 7minutes 21 seconds http://i.imgur.com/Mmo9zFu.gif

Xaeden
November 28th, 2017, 10:57 PM
They could have dialed the Alpha site.

I don't know that the Alpha Site was operational by this point. The first mention to it was five episodes later in "The Serpent's Lair."

Falcon Horus
November 29th, 2017, 01:10 AM
The "why didn't Carter just dial another address" issue always bugs me.

She was injured (at the least, she almost certainly had a concussion). She was stressed (worried, cold, short on both fluids and food). She had no reason to think they were on Earth. All of those things affected her thought processes. It would be more remarkable, IMO, if she had thought to dial another planet.

I'm surprised Jack didn't think of it either. I mean, he casually mentioned he had to get out of a dodgy situation on the border of Iran and Iraq once with a couple of broken bones. Even in his state he'd still could have made that "stupid" suggestion. But perhaps they were so focused on it that they didn't think of it -- I mean... it is possible, but it bugs me nonetheless.

Nope, I'm never doing that again, I solemnly swear it... :eek:

2hours 7minutes 21 seconds http://i.imgur.com/Mmo9zFu.gif

Definitely not doing that again.

My deepest apologies. :S

Seaboe Muffinchucker
November 29th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Bluntly, IMO, all the "Carter should've..." arguments concerning just about any episode are Monday Morning Quarterbacking (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/monday-morning-quarterback).

Seaboe

jelgate
November 29th, 2017, 01:11 PM
I disagree about being hindsight. It should be basic sense to try different locations if Earth isn't working. The location vof where the gate is doesn't matter

Who Knows
November 29th, 2017, 03:59 PM

It is OK FH, honest. I am not complaining, do not knock yourself out over it.
We should be up to the challenge, at least I did finish it.
I find as I get older I get slower, and I have another birthday Wednesday next, so I will be even worse. http://i.imgur.com/Mmo9zFu.gif

aretood2
November 29th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I'm surprised Jack didn't think of it either. I mean, he casually mentioned he had to get out of a dodgy situation on the border of Iran and Iraq once with a couple of broken bones. Even in his state he'd still could have made that "stupid" suggestion. But perhaps they were so focused on it that they didn't think of it -- I mean... it is possible, but it bugs me nonetheless.

Though to be honest...I didn't consider that a thing she could have done when watching the episode...any of the times I have watched it...

You were supposed to save the big puzzle for like the series finale or something. Not in the first season! :P

Falcon Horus
November 30th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Bluntly, IMO, all the "Carter should've..." arguments concerning just about any episode are Monday Morning Quarterbacking (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/monday-morning-quarterback).

No, no hindsight involved.... just experience with things that don't work in situations (less life-threatening though but frustrations run wild nevertheless) where solution A leads nowhere, so let's try the 25 other letters in the alphabet. :p

You were supposed to save the big puzzle for like the series finale or something. Not in the first season! :P

Now we know that might not be such a brilliant idea, after all. :p

Falcon Horus
January 11th, 2018, 04:49 PM

I promised never to do that again, but damn that was a fun one to do.

You're 10 minutes faster than I was. I clocked in at 01:13:45. :)

jelgate
January 11th, 2018, 07:17 PM
I started to lose stamina on that puzzle. I started to slow down after awhile because my arms were getting stiff

Falcon Horus
January 12th, 2018, 12:58 AM
Yeah, there were too many pieces so not to worry... it won't happen again. ;)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
January 12th, 2018, 07:14 AM
There's no such thing as too many piece, IMO.

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
January 12th, 2018, 10:07 AM
There's no such thing as too many piece, IMO.

Have you seen the jigsaw puzzle I created... :p ...too many pieces. :p

aretood2
January 12th, 2018, 05:20 PM
If only there was a way to save your progress...

Falcon Horus
January 13th, 2018, 09:57 AM
If only there was a way to save your progress...

I agree -- that thought did cross my mind at one point.

BethHG
June 13th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I really like this episode. I don't mind that Carter didn't dial another Stargate. I figure she is human, and as a human, she will make mistakes. Besides, if she did that, they may not have even been aware of a second gate. Plus, we wouldn't have had that surprising ending. I remember the first time that I saw this episode, and didn't catch on until Daniel felt the tremors-- so awesome!

I am not even going to look at the puzzle, it sounds scary.

jelgate
June 13th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Took me 63 minutes to do

Falcon Horus
June 13th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I am not even going to look at the puzzle, it sounds scary.

Took me a little over an hour to finish it. :p
It was a challenge. :cool:

Also, there are no other jigsaw puzzles that have more than 100 pieces (I think). This was sorta the only one.

jelgate
June 13th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Their are a few.

Falcon Horus
June 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM
I should have kept track of that. Darn it.

Platschu
August 21st, 2018, 01:11 PM
Errors:

1. Hammond looks at the second stargate, but the chevrons are lit.
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x17/06.jpg

2. Dialing sequences are shown on two control monitors in the background, but they are turned off in the next shot:
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x17/02.jpg
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x17/03.jpg
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x17/04.jpg
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x17/05.jpg
And they dial Abydos again instead of P4A-771.

O'NEILL: Sara...
CARTER: I'm here, Jack.
O'NEILL: Cold, so cold...

He says "Sam" in the Hungarian version. I have checked he says "Sara" in the English version, so he mentions his ex-wife. This was an improvisation of RDA, while the international translation followed the official script, so Sara became Sam.

Falcon Horus
August 21st, 2018, 03:39 PM
O'NEILL: Sara...
CARTER: I'm here, Jack.
O'NEILL: Cold, so cold...

Looks like I heard right then... thought I didn't. :D

Platschu
August 21st, 2018, 03:56 PM
I just broke the heart of the S/J shippers. It would be nice to check it in other languages. Has he said Sara or Sam in the Dutch version?

hedwig
August 21st, 2018, 04:02 PM
I just broke the heart of the S/J shippers. It would be nice to check it in other languages. Has he said Sara or Sam in the Dutch version?

It is thought that he said "Sara", which makes sense because he hasn't been divorced all that long, and while he likes Sam, it's not at the level where he would call her name in a situation like that. Even Sam knew he said "Sara" because she pretended to be Sara when she said "I'm here, Jack", probably thinking it would comfort him. Many shippers realize this, so you haven't broken many hearts. They wish he had said "Sam", but just isn't realistic in that situation. :) Even the transcript for the episode has Jack saying "Sara".

I have no idea what the Dutch version was.

Platschu
August 21st, 2018, 04:04 PM
The Hungarian version has got "Sam", I have just rewatched this scene quickly.

Falcon Horus
August 22nd, 2018, 06:35 AM

International TV-series aren't dubbed in Flanders. Everything is subtitled, though I could probably check what it says in the French dubbing and even the Italian one since those are available to me on my DVD's.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 27th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Platschu, I don't know if you consider this an error or not, but when they leave for Antarctica, it's clear they leave in a great hurry, and General Hammond gives no orders other than to tell McMurdo to search the coordinates. Yet when he's giving orders during the rescue, he says security personnel will be arriving "in a few hours". It's a lot more than a few hours from Colorado Springs to Antartica.

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
August 28th, 2018, 02:01 AM
Or they already had a team on the way... or does that still contradict the first order? This is confusing.

Platschu
August 28th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Probably they were rescued by the soldiers of the McMurdo base.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 28th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Yes, I agree they were rescued by McMurdo personnel, but where were the personnel that General Hammond said would arrive to secure the site going to come from? He certainly made it sound as if they would be SGC personnel.

He must have been quite busy on the way to the Antarctic.

I've also wondered about telling a sergeant to call McMurdo and give them orders. What's he supposed to say, "I'm Master Sergeant Harriman and General Hammond says to search these coordinates."? I can just imagine the reaction.

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
August 28th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I've also wondered about telling a sergeant to call McMurdo and give them orders. What's he supposed to say, "I'm Master Sergeant Harriman and General Hammond says to search these coordinates."? I can just imagine the reaction.

Probably something about lost marbles... or some other. :lol:

hedwig
September 17th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Probably they were rescued by the soldiers of the McMurdo base.

Make that a definite. They would have been given the location from the SGC and a team would have been sent from McMurdo to find and rescue them. My only thing is to wonder how General Hammond, Daniel and Teal'c got there so fast. It would have been something like a 10-12 hour flight from whatever military airport was near Cheyenne Mountain, and by then the McMurdo rescue team should have found Jack and Sam and had them safely back at McMurdo.

hedwig
September 17th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Yes, I agree they were rescued by McMurdo personnel, but where were the personnel that General Hammond said would arrive to secure the site going to come from? He certainly made it sound as if they would be SGC personnel.

He must have been quite busy on the way to the Antarctic.

Seaboe

They probably flew in on one of those huge C-130's or whatever designation those Globemasters have. The personnel to secure the site likely came with Hammond, Daniel and Teal'c and then were taken to the site by the McMurdo team. From things I've been reading that involve McMurdo, they have an airstrip big and long enough to accommodate a plane that big in landing.

The orders to McMurdo may have come from a higher authority than Walter so that it would be taken seriously.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
September 18th, 2018, 07:23 AM
The orders to McMurdo may have come from a higher authority than Walter so that it would be taken seriously.

In real life, it would have had to. But the scene in the briefing room ends with Gen'l Hammond telling Walter to call McMurdo and start the search.

Seaboe.

Falcon Horus
July 15th, 2020, 04:12 PM
And I saw that puzzle and I was like "nope".

Still the best reaction to the monster of a jigsaw puzzle for this episode. :lol: