This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 Symbols on Stargate

[FONT=Century Gothic]Hi, I am new here and I hope that I am doing this right.
    In Stargate SG-1 they used the 8th chevron only twice, as far as I know: when Jack was speaking Ancient and he met the Azgard, and when they went to Atlantis. What about that 9th chevron. If Atlantis is an outpost for the Ancients and the Ancients were wiped out there, it can't have been the whole Ancient race with 9 chevrons. I think that the 9th chevron is where the ancients are, and the 9 chevrons are like tests. Like with I think Thor's Hammer, he set up a test so when they passed the test they were ready to see him in his real form. I think, since the Azgard and the Ancients were allies and friends, the Ancient's are doing the same thing. They are testing the people who go through the Stargate, so when they figure out how to get to the 9th chevron they will find the Ancients. I also think that they left Atlantis, to provide for the people with their genes an outpost and a sign that is telling them that they are there and very smart and powerful, and that they can help them. Stargate SG-1 needs the help, especially ships, since we borrow or steal a ship when we need one; we need some of our own.

Fans beleive it to be an orbital position coordinate. The chevron accounts for the nearest planet. But truthfully no-one has an idea what it means. Not even Joe, the dude who runs SG1/SGA.

You might want to check these threads out:

Theory On The 9th Chevron

All Nine Chevrons Lit Up!

Welcome aboard GWForum!

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Considering what it took for them to generate eight-chevron addresses (naquadah generator in The Fifth Race and ZPM in Rising) - and this to get all the way to another galaxy, it's going to be a long time before humanity develops the kind of technology to generate the power for a nine-chevron address. Though I suppose if they lock Carter and McKay in a room for a few hours they'll come up with someone, or kill each other. Who knows?

Comment

My theory is that the 9th Chevron is another extra distance calculator for selecting a different Galactic Group. The 8th Chevron selects a different Galaxy within the Local Group (there are 30 galaxies in the local group), and the 9th dials a different group of galaxies.

Totally conjectural, though... but it does fit the data, and does have a certain logic to it.

-IMF
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

What do you mean the chevron account for the nearest planet. Does that mean that the people from Atlantis can visit places in the 9th chevron. I thought that the chevron's acted like area codes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Procrastinator
            What do you mean the chevron account for the nearest planet. Does that mean that the people from Atlantis can visit places in the 9th chevron. I thought that the chevron's acted like area codes.
            The chevrons act as points in space, converging on one planet. But the 9th chevron activates only when the gate is not found on a planet, but in a stationary position in the orbit. So it the 9th chevron accounts for the nearest planet's PoO. It's just a theory. Never said it was a good one.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
              The chevrons act as points in space, converging on one planet. But the 9th chevron activates only when the gate is not found on a planet, but in a stationary position in the orbit. So it the 9th chevron accounts for the nearest planet's PoO. It's just a theory. Never said it was a good one.
              My problem with that theory (not saying it's a bad one) is this the 6 symbols that determine the position in space of most addresses don't seem specific enough to point to a specific planet, but more to a solar system, as the constellation patterns we see from Earth would be valid anywhere in the solar system. That might make a Gate capable of getting an active connection from any planet in our system, or anywhere out to the heliopause. That would mean only one gate per system. So, if there are multiple gates per system, and the ninth chevron somehow selects which Gate you want within the system, then what does the 8th Chevron do in that sequence? If you dial the 9th, you have to dial an 8th, or by nature it's an 8 symbol address.

It also doesn't seem to fit with the logic of how the known chevrons work. If the 8th Chevron determines the Galaxy you want, then the 9th Chevron would seem to come into when you need to go out even further, namely outside the Galactic Group you are in.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Am I right in thinking that when the Atlantis team went to Atlantis, they went farther out in the universe? If that is correct, that would also mean that if and when they went to wherever the 9th chevron goes it would also be farther away, with a new enemy and people, the Ancients perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by NotANumber
                  Considering what it took for them to generate eight-chevron addresses (naquadah generator in The Fifth Race and ZPM in Rising) - and this to get all the way to another galaxy, it's going to be a long time before humanity develops the kind of technology to generate the power for a nine-chevron address. Though I suppose if they lock Carter and McKay in a room for a few hours they'll come up with someone, or kill each other. Who knows?
                  That's assuming the gate could even handle a nine-chevron address (which it probably could). Think of the power buildup required for such a dialing. Obviously, the gate is a powerful superconductor, but even superconductors have their limits. And a power source will be the big issue, too. Of course, someone could just stick their head in another one of those Repository doodads. And then we would find out what the 9th Chevron is for!

Comment

Originally posted by The Procrastinator
                    Am I right in thinking that when the Atlantis team went to Atlantis, they went farther out in the universe? If that is correct, that would also mean that if and when they went to wherever the 9th chevron goes it would also be farther away, with a new enemy and people, the Ancients perhaps?
                    Yes, when the Atlantis team dialed Atlantis, it was an 8 symbol address, going to the Pegasus Galaxy... most of the Gates that have been visited in SG-1 have been confined to our Galaxy, the Milky Way. The Pegasus Dwarf Galaxy that they are visiting is a wholly different galaxy quite a good distance away from our own, but it is in the same Galactic Group as our Galaxy, The Local Group.

If they activated the 9th Chevron, it may take them further away, or it may be for something much different. It's unknown right now.

-IMF
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                      My problem with that theory (not saying it's a bad one) is this the 6 symbols that determine the position in space of most addresses don't seem specific enough to point to a specific planet, but more to a solar system, as the constellation patterns we see from Earth would be valid anywhere in the solar system. That might make a Gate capable of getting an active connection from any planet in our system, or anywhere out to the heliopause. That would mean only one gate per system. So, if there are multiple gates per system, and the ninth chevron somehow selects which Gate you want within the system, then what does the 8th Chevron do in that sequence? If you dial the 9th, you have to dial an 8th, or by nature it's an 8 symbol address.

It also doesn't seem to fit with the logic of how the known chevrons work. If the 8th Chevron determines the Galaxy you want, then the 9th Chevron would seem to come into when you need to go out even further, namely outside the Galactic Group you are in.

-IMF
                      My theory:

The chevrons don't lock onto a position in space. They just narrow down the position of the recieving gate to its solar system, and inbuilt gate protocols locate it. Seriously, A) Stellar constellations look different from different planets B) A constellation is an awfully big thing to point at every subatomic particle of a human body and expect accurate readings.
                      [email protected]
                      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                      One nation under dog
                      There of which I stand alone
                      A face in the crowd
                      Unsung, against the mold
                      Without a doubt
                      Singled out
                      The only way I know

Comment

If the gate could not handle a 9th symbol address, why would the creators of the Stargate create it? What would be its purpose, if not to go to there homeworld?
                        Last edited by The Procrastinator; 18 January 2005, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                          My theory:

The chevrons don't lock onto a position in space. They just narrow down the position of the recieving gate to its solar system, and inbuilt gate protocols locate it. Seriously, A) Stellar constellations look different from different planets B) A constellation is an awfully big thing to point at every subatomic particle of a human body and expect accurate readings.
                          Stellar constellations look different from different solar systems, but any planet in our solar system would have the same stellar constallations as Earth, as the relative positions of any specific points in our solar system is so small as to be insignifigant. Heck, the appearance of the Constellations doesn't even change all that much between here and Alpha Centauri.

-IMF
                          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Just for comparison, I whipped this up (largish image):

Orion as seen from Earth, Mars, Pluto, Proxima Centauri and Epsion Eridani

As you can see, anywhere in the Solar system Orion looks exactly the same. From Proxima Centauri at 4.266ly it's slightly distorted but still recognizable. Epsilon Eridani at 10.52ly is slightly more distorted, but again still recognizable.

This picture was compiled using Celestia

-IMF
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Well, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that if Atlantis was the Ancient's greatest city... it would be in the last galaxy that they colonized, this being Pegasus. I highly doubt that if Rob does come up with a theory to use the 9th chevron for .. I personally dont think it would be for another distance calculation - I mean, even though its not mentioned directly, do people really believe the Ancients colonized a galaxy farther away than Pegasus and that a 9th chevron would be needed to reach it? ... I doubt it! but you never know

IMO, it's there for future upgradability We know for a fact (well almost) that it's not for time travel - the only other logical thing I would say is to access a alternate reality. Maybe they wanted a easier way to access a alternate reality rather than the quantum mirror we found (IF it was Ancient origin, which was never specified)

Question: Which is farther Ida or Pegasus?

Thats my two cents for green

Comment

Working...
                              X