Sci-Fi/Fantasy -- Fun/random trivia factoids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi/Fantasy -- Fun/random trivia factoids

Couldn't find a thread like this so I thought I'd start one up....let's share trivia about all our favourite (and not so favourite) sci-fi and fantasty pieces! I'll start with a few:

George Takei (Sulu) is the only Star Trek regular to cross over into the Star Wars universe, portraying Nemoidian general Lok Durd in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Defenders of Peace".

Both Serenity (Firefly) and the USS Enterprise (Star Trek) appear in the pilot miniseries of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

To date, Amanda Tapping's only real 'sex scene' saw her paired with JR Bourne (Martouf, SG-1).

The desert facility seen at the end of The X-Files: Fight the Future was filmed at the same location where Tatooine (Star Wars) was filmed.

David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive) turned down the opportunity to direct Return of the Jedi in favour of directing the film adaptation of Dune.

Will Smith turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix so he could make Wild Wild West.

James Cameron originally wanted O.J. Simpson for the role of the Terminator.

Your turn, GW. Thrill me, thrill each other
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

The marquee for the 3D "Jaws 19" feature in 2015 (Back to the Future Part 2) shows the director as "Max Spielberg". This is the name of Spielberg's real-life son, and Spielberg himself directed the original Jaws.

(come on guys )
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Han Solo was frozen in Carbonite because George Lucas was unsure whether or not Harrison Ford would return to film Jedi.

The Millennium Falcon was originally going to be destroyed at the end of Jedi.

Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen are the only people to have been killed by a Terminator, an Alien, and a Predator.

Return of Jedi was supposed to be called Revenge of the Jedi, but someone pointed out to him that revenge isn't something a Jedi would want, so it was changed. Although there are a few different stories going about as to why it was changed from Revenge to Return, that's just the one I've heard most.

Biggs and Wedge (from A New Hope) have had their name used in multiple Final Fantasy games.

Red XIII from FF7's real name (Nanaki) is an anagram for Anakin, FF8 also has characters called Needa and Piett. There are other references but I haven't played all the FF games so I don't know them all.

The main characters of Metal Gear Solid (Solid Snake and Otacon) are called Dave and Hal, from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The original game box for Metal Gear (back in 87) not only ripped off a Terminator promo shot of Michael Biehn but Snake also looked exactly like him.

David Hayter, who voices Snake in all the MGS games, originally used the name Sean Barker when he recorded MGS1 (most of the cast used fake names for union reasons). Sean Barker is the character he played in Guyver 2.

In Metal Gear Solid 2, Solid Snake uses the alias Iroquois Pliskin. Snake Pliskin was the main the main character from the Escape from NY/LA movies while Iroquois can mean Snake. Snake was named after the character (apparently) and while Big Boss (Snake's father/mentor/bad guy from first two games) was designed a few different actors, he got Pliskin's eye patch.

sigpic

Comment

Hudson's (Bill Paxton) crack in Aliens about Vasquez thinking "they said illegal alien and signed up" is actually an in-joke from the casting process. When Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) showed up to audition for the film, she was under the impression it was a film about illegal immigrants--she didn't realize it was a sequel to Ridley Scott's Alien till she got there

Comment

While Aliens was Jenette Goldstein's screen debut, it would not be the last time she acted in a James Cameron film. Their work together includes
          - Pvt. Vasquez (Aliens)
          - Janelle Voight (Terminator 2 -- John's foster mother)
          - unnamed Irish mother (Titanic)

She also portrayed a Enterprise-B bridge officer in Star Trek: Generations

Comment

There is a reference to The Doctor in the third book of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, Brisingr (the previous books being Eragon & Eldest). Paolini admitted he is a Doctor Who fan, which inspired his reference to the "lonely god".

Adrift upon the sea of time, the lonely god wanders from shore to distant shore, upholding the laws of the stars above. The trickster, the riddler, the keeper of the balance, he of the many faces who finds life in death and who fears no evil; he who walks through doors.
            (Page 204 of Brisingr)

Comment

In the 'Thunderbirds' television series... The Tracy brothers were all named after the original Mercury astronauts.

The cell block 1138 mentioned in Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope is a reference to one of George Lucas' earlier films THX1138.

In the Space 1999 episode 'War Games. The Mark IX Hawks were originally painted grey. But were later painted so that viewers wouldn't get them confused with the Eagles of Moonbase Alpha.

In Star Trek IV : The Voyage Home. The USS Enterprise seen in the Naval Dockyard was actually the USS Ranger. The Enterprise was on a deployment at the time of shooting the film.
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                The cell block 1138 mentioned in Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope is a reference to one of George Lucas' earlier films THX1138.
                "1138" (as a reference to THX 1138) is also a larger recurring meme throughout the Star Wars universe, as well as other George Lucas projects.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/1138_(number)

Comment

Working...
                X