Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random thought - why would the Wraith self destruct have a timer on it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random thought - why would the Wraith self destruct have a timer on it?

I realize that the self-destruct in the SGC, for example, needs to have a timer to give people a chance to get outta there. However, the Wraith self destruct is designed purely to destroy the Wraith that activates it. It seems like it was just a cheap way to let Shep and McKay get back in "Suspicion".

I realize you could say that it's on a timer in case they activate it by accident, but come on. You don't stick a detonator on the middle of your chest if you're worried about blowing yourself up without wanting to.

Perhaps it just takes time to power up?

Comment

it could need to build up a charge b4 it detonates

Comment

A completely different and maybe not so logical thought, but very interesting.
        What if the device takes the wraith's mind and transmits it through subspace to a hive ship. There the mind will be put in a 'clone', like the Asgard do.
        The light blinking means it's assembling and transmitting data. After that, it explodes the mindless body. This way, the wraith survives it's own selfdestruct. It suits an immortal species well.

There's a big fat chance they have the technology to do that. The Asgard centainly can, as they recovered Thor's mind from Anubis' computer (Descent). With the wraith's technology rivaling that of the Ancient's, I can centainly imagine them being able to do that.
        Last edited by Wicked Wraith of the West; 18 January 2005, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Why do all races need to use flashing lights to inform everyone that they're transmitting or preparing to detonate. Ever heard of silent countdown?

"Kree, everyone within 10 meter will die in 10 seconds, please stand in line and wait your turn..."

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Wraith of the West
            A completely different and maybe not so logical thought, but very interesting.
            What if the device takes the wraith's mind and transmits it through subspace to a hive ship. There the mind will be put in a 'clone', like the Asgard do.
            The light blinking means it's assembling and transmitting data. After that, it explodes the mindless body. This way, the wraith survives it's own selfdestruct. It suits an immortal species well.

There's a big fat chance they have the technology to do that. The Asgard centainly can, as they recovered Thor's mind from Anubis' computer (Descent). With the wraith's technology rivaling that of the Ancient's, I can centainly imagine them being able to do that.
            I rather like that idea.
            sigpic

Comment

I think this "Random Thought" is stupid and waste of my time.
              Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
              - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
              - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
              Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
              Mayboune: *shrugs*
              - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                And yet you still find time to reply, instead of just leaving it be.

I really like Wicked Wraith of the West's idea. Would make the Wraith a little more... entertaining, IMO.

Comment

Wicked's idea is cool. However, I don't know if they value the conciousness of "footsoldier" Wraiths as much as they value the Steve type guys. I got the impression that they were two different classes... the footsoldiers aren't particularly emotional

"Kree, everyone within 10 meter will die in 10 seconds, please stand in line and wait your turn..."
                  Heh

Comment

Who's the biggest moron? The moron or the one following the moron?

Comment

Let's try not to kill each other, here people.

As for the topic...

Wicked Wraith offered a pretty good idea, but then again, once the Wraith's mind is "uploaded to where-ever", why bother to blow up the body? If the Wraith's mind is no longer there, what difference does it make? One possible reason could be to possibly destroy enemies, so there's one idea. I'm sure Wraith technology could support such a function, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzcoatl
                        I realize that the self-destruct in the SGC, for example, needs to have a timer to give people a chance to get outta there. However, the Wraith self destruct is designed purely to destroy the Wraith that activates it. It seems like it was just a cheap way to let Shep and McKay get back in "Suspicion".

I realize you could say that it's on a timer in case they activate it by accident, but come on. You don't stick a detonator on the middle of your chest if you're worried about blowing yourself up without wanting to.
                        when people/aliens blow up they like to have some background sound as they go with an evil laugh (like "mwahahahahahaha") look predators on AvP

Comment

Maybe the time-delay is to allow other wraith in the blast radius to get the hell out of dodge... in Suspiscion (screw spelling), the blast caused everyone to dive for cover, which could in theory allow a healthy wraith to run away...

Comment

Your words of wisdom are truly awe-inspiring. When the rest of us grow up, can we be as enlightened as you?
                            To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                              Let's try not to kill each other, here people.

As for the topic...

Wicked Wraith offered a pretty good idea, but then again, once the Wraith's mind is "uploaded to where-ever", why bother to blow up the body? If the Wraith's mind is no longer there, what difference does it make? One possible reason could be to possibly destroy enemies, so there's one idea. I'm sure Wraith technology could support such a function, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that it does.
                              Think 'Tin Man'

If you can scan a brain, and upload everything about it, why would that scan have to be destructive?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X