PDA

View Full Version : Stargate's Finest Hour.

Lewisco
December 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've started re-watching every episode of Stargate, from SG-1 right to SGU. I don't have as much free time as that implies. Nevertheless, I just reached The Torment of Tantalus. This is probably the 20th+ time I've seen this episode and the effect it's had on me is no less than the first time I saw it. It's the perfect episode. In every way. However, the one aspect of the episode that makes it so significant is, as you might guess, it's the first time the 4 Great Races are introduced. Essentially the most important thread that's ran through every season of Stargate and all it's incarnations. Even now, 13 years after this episode aired, we're still wondering in SGU if we'll ever see The Furlings.

I think this makes Stargate such a unique show. And why I can't bear the thought of it ever coming to an end. I can't think of another show that has such an extensive and and long running mythology. It's incredible. Although not everyone's a fan of SGU, it's still Stargate, and it's still furthering the mythology that began over a decade ago.

Anyway, Tantalus. Yeah. Along with starting one of the show's greatest mythologies, the episode itself revolved around that little thing called the Stargate. The first time we discover you can manually dial a Stargate which, again, became an important feature in so many episodes. And the reuniting of Catherine and Ernerst, even now, still brings a tear to my eye. Not to mention it has Daniel at his geeky best, O'Neill and Teal'c with brilliant one liners and Carter talking in her super-speed science mode. And even now I can't help but wonder what we could have discovered of the repository didn't fall into the ocean...

All of this makes it the perfect Stargate episode for me. Just thought I'd share this with you all.

s09119
December 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
After rewatching it and filtering out the nostalgia, it doesn't come off to me nearly as good as it did originally. It's still an excellent episode, easily 4 stars. But it's no longer the pinnacle of the franchise for me. "Reckoning" and "Threads" have taken that seat.

Lewisco
December 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Now those are damn good episodes. Certainly up there with Stargate's best. No doubt about it. I just loves me some nostalgia though.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've started re-watching every episode of Stargate, from SG-1 right to SGU. I don't have as much free time as that implies. Nevertheless, I just reached The Torment of Tantalus. This is probably the 20th+ time I've seen this episode and the effect it's had on me is no less than the first time I saw it. It's the perfect episode. In every way. However, the one aspect of the episode that makes it so significant is, as you might guess, it's the first time the 4 Great Races are introduced. Essentially the most important thread that's ran through every season of Stargate and all it's incarnations. Even now, 13 years after this episode aired, we're still wondering in SGU if we'll ever see The Furlings.

I think this makes Stargate such a unique show. And why I can't bear the thought of it ever coming to an end. I can't think of another show that has such an extensive and and long running mythology. It's incredible. Although not everyone's a fan of SGU, it's still Stargate, and it's still furthering the mythology that began over a decade ago.

Anyway, Tantalus. Yeah. Along with starting one of the show's greatest mythologies, the episode itself revolved around that little thing called the Stargate. The first time we discover you can manually dial a Stargate which, again, became an important feature in so many episodes. And the reuniting of Catherine and Ernerst, even now, still brings a tear to my eye. Not to mention it has Daniel at his geeky best, O'Neill and Teal'c with brilliant one liners and Carter talking in her super-speed science mode. And even now I can't help but wonder what we could have discovered of the repository didn't fall into the ocean...

All of this makes it the perfect Stargate episode for me. Just thought I'd share this with you all.

I never really found it to be that good of an episode. It never really interested me that much tbh.

lordofseas
December 14th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I feel like that it introduces so many important elements (no pun intended) in the future of the franchise in such a non-descript way that it is an excellent episode. Simply not The Best.

chrono trigger
December 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
torment of tantalus is one of my all time favs aswell it is such a great episode.:)

Anubis345
December 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
More of exploration ep.I like those walk through the gate discover something solve a mystery.

themeatcleaver
December 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
love Tantalus. I remember catching it on syfy back in the day and something about it always just stuck with me.

a few things that jump out for me that haven't been mentioned. I love that they showed the gate being dialed manually back in the 40s, that was just cool to me. Also, I love the fact that young Ernest is played by the same actor as Carson from Atlantis.

Colonel_ONeill
December 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Contrary to so many of you, I found this episode completely average. It's not something I would go back and watch...I mean, yes, it does introduce important information, but in my opinion it's not one of Stargate's better episodes. I only find it vaguely interesting.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 15th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Contrary to so many of you, I found this episode completely average. It's not something I would go back and watch...I mean, yes, it does introduce important information, but in my opinion it's not one of Stargate's better episodes. I only find it vaguely interesting.

At least I'm not the only one.

lordofseas
December 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Well, they broke Almighty Canon to write this episode, so I say it's nice.

jelgate
December 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Well, they broke Almighty Canon to write this episode, so I say it's nice.

Did they or just your interpretation of canon?

blueray
December 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
But it's no longer the pinnacle of the franchise for me. "Reckoning" and "Threads" have taken that seat.

i agree, if i had to pick episodes that stand out they would be "reckoning and "threads" (which i consider part three). especially how it sort of the series finale, at least of the original show. though i do love seasons 9, 10 as well.

lordofseas
December 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
Did they or just your interpretation of canon?

According to the show, an object must fully enter the Stargate before the object is transmitted to the other Stargate, where it is rematerialized. In ToT, Ernest is connected to a line that people on Earth's side of the Stargate are holding. When the Stargate shuts down, the people hold up the frayed end of the line. Canonically, Ernest would have remained dissappated, and would never have reintegrated. The same mistake happens in A Hundred Days.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
According to the show, an object must fully enter the Stargate before the object is transmitted to the other Stargate, where it is rematerialized. In ToT, Ernest is connected to a line that people on Earth's side of the Stargate are holding. When the Stargate shuts down, the people hold up the frayed end of the line. Canonically, Ernest would have remained dissappated, and would never have reintegrated. The same mistake happens in A Hundred Days.

I don't think that "rule" was ever stated before "Thirty-eight Minutes" in SGA's first season. I could be wrong though.