Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Daniel just get contact lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't Daniel just get contact lenses?

Considering the amount of combat situations he finds himself in, wouldn't it have been more practical to have contact lenses? Or, heck, get lasik surgery.

I have a lazy eye that ive had since i was born and ive been wearing glasses all my life to try and correct it but it hasn't worked and i can't get laser eye surgery to fix it and i cant wear contacts maybe when the writers wrote daniels chracter he was near sighted so he could only read and write but couldnt see thing s far away and the SGC wouldnt let him have a gun unless he wore them and he needed one r else they wopuldnt let him go throught the gate

or maybe he just didnt want to wear contacts or get laser eye surgery
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JosephGracey View Post
      I have a lazy eye that ive had since i was born and ive been wearing glasses all my life to try and correct it but it hasn't worked and i can't get laser eye surgery to fix it and i cant wear contacts maybe when the writers wrote daniels chracter he was near sighted so he could only read and write but couldnt see thing s far away and the SGC wouldnt let him have a gun unless he wore them and he needed one r else they wopuldnt let him go throught the gate

or maybe he just didnt want to wear contacts or get laser eye surgery
      "...the SGC wouldn't let him have a gun unless he wore them and he needed one or they wouldn't let him go through the gate" (couldn't use this quote without correcting the spelling and grammar)

Nice theory except there's at least one instance of him firing a weapon WITHOUT his glasses...in Icon when he's being rescued from the planet, he's been without his glasses for most of the episode.
      Personally I think the issue with his sight has to do more with the fact that most of the writers don't wear glasses so they don't actually think about it.
      I struggle with the issues about his sight too because I've worn them my whole life and I'm practically blind without them so the concept of me firing a weapon without them is positively terrifying...for me and for anyone else close by,lol

I really like your theory of the 'lazy' eye though that would explain why he can get away without them at times....altho in "Moebius, Part II" we do get a glimpse of what he's supposedly seeing without them...are both your eyes out of focus without your glasses or just one?
      I also once came across a suggestion that on a 'dig' glasses are better than contacts because glasses will protect ones eyes from blowing dirt more than contacts will.
      sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
      http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

Not all eye conditions can be rectified with contacts.
        For example, I have astigmatism and there are now contacts for that, but it's a recent innovation (and they have to be put in the eye very carefully; they have a top and bottom, unlike ordinary lenses). For most of SG1's run and certainly for the 1st five or six years they wouldn't have been available.
        Some people are allergic to the lenses or the solutions. Some people too squeamish to use them (not likely with Daniel, I admit).

Of course, the real reason was that the glasses were Daniel's trademark. And mighty cute he looked in them two.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

As far as I'm aware, contacts are not permitted in combat situations, and as SG1 often found themselves in combat situations it is unlikely Daniel would have been permitted to wear contacts in the field.

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
          For example, I have astigmatism and there are now contacts for that, but it's a recent innovation (and they have to be put in the eye very carefully; they have a top and bottom, unlike ordinary lenses).
          Man, trying to find contacts for astigmatism is a pain. I tried pair, after pair for months before I found one that fit (and lucky for me most toric lenses are weighted now because if I had to worry about trying to work out that top/bottom thing I would have been screwed).
          Originally posted by Callista
          Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
          Originally posted by HPMom
          She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

It just wouldn't have been Daniel without the glasses. Daniel needed those glasses as much as Teal'c needed the emblem, or as Hammond needed his bald head.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              It just wouldn't have been Daniel without the glasses. Daniel needed those glasses as much as Teal'c needed the emblem, or as Hammond needed his bald head.
              Agreed...to me Daniel without his glasses is just Michael. And I really hated it when they took off Daniel's glasses to signify that he wasn't himself...to me Daniel acting differently would've been creepier if he still looked like himself.
              sigpic

My Fiction:

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                As far as I'm aware, contacts are not permitted in combat situations, and as SG1 often found themselves in combat situations it is unlikely Daniel would have been permitted to wear contacts in the field.

Man, trying to find contacts for astigmatism is a pain. I tried pair, after pair for months before I found one that fit (and lucky for me most toric lenses are weighted now because if I had to worry about trying to work out that top/bottom thing I would have been screwed).
                "...contacts are not permitted in combat situations."

Really? Did not know that...definitely works as an explanation.
                sigpic

My Fiction:

Comment

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
                  Really? Did not know that...definitely works as an explanation.
                  Yeah, contacts are too high-maintenance and potentially hazardous. It takes time to put them on and take them off, keep them clean, rewet them, and if you don't take proper care of them they can cause serious eye infections/blindness. You don't have time for all that when people are shooting at you or your trecking through a jungle/desert somewhere with only basic provisions, so you're not allowed to wear them (according to my brother, who had to wear the ugliest glasses ever in the army).
                  Originally posted by Callista
                  Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                  Originally posted by HPMom
                  She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                    Yeah, contacts are too high-maintenance and potentially hazardous. It takes time to put them on and take them off, keep them clean, rewet them, and if you don't take proper care of them they can cause serious eye infections/blindness. You don't have time for all that when people are shooting at you or your trecking through a jungle/desert somewhere with only basic provisions, so you're not allowed to wear them.
                    And, in reality, glasses are so much easier. You can get ones which fit like goggles, or clip behind the ears. In all honesty, you have to be working quite hard to lose them, well fitting glasses, once on, tend to stay put.

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
                      "...the SGC wouldn't let him have a gun unless he wore them and he needed one or they wouldn't let him go through the gate" (couldn't use this quote without correcting the spelling and grammar)

Nice theory except there's at least one instance of him firing a weapon WITHOUT his glasses...in Icon when he's being rescued from the planet, he's been without his glasses for most of the episode.
                      Personally I think the issue with his sight has to do more with the fact that most of the writers don't wear glasses so they don't actually think about it.
                      I struggle with the issues about his sight too because I've worn them my whole life and I'm practically blind without them so the concept of me firing a weapon without them is positively terrifying...for me and for anyone else close by,lol

I really like your theory of the 'lazy' eye though that would explain why he can get away without them at times....altho in "Moebius, Part II" we do get a glimpse of what he's supposedly seeing without them...are both your eyes out of focus without your glasses or just one?
                      I also once came across a suggestion that on a 'dig' glasses are better than contacts because glasses will protect ones eyes from blowing dirt more than contacts will.
                      I can see fine far away because i'm far sighted and well when i have my glasses off (which i hardly ever do i sometimes sleep with them on) and when i have both eyes open my vision is the same as if i was only looking out of my lazy eye but when i cover my lazy eye or close it my visions fine except if somethings far to the right i have to turn my head so i can see with my left eye

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                      And, in reality, glasses are so much easier. You can get ones which fit like goggles, or clip behind the ears. In all honesty, you have to be working quite hard to lose them, well fitting glasses, once on, tend to stay put.

FF
                      i agree you can be upside down without your glasses falling off

and i find it quite funny that underneath this post is one for laser eye surgery
                      sigpic

Comment

and i find it quite funny that underneath this post is one for laser eye surgery
                        There was?

Comment

Originally posted by syfygyrl View Post
                          There was?
                          yes and now theres another one from a different company am i just imagining this?
                          sigpic

Comment

yes and now theres another one from a different company am i just imagining this?
                            No. I think sometimes the advertisements are geared towards keywords on sites. We are discussing contacts & eyeglasses so it would make sense that laser eye surgery advertisements would pop up. But now they've all disappeared. I think we scared them off. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by syfygyrl View Post
                              No. I think sometimes the advertisements are geared towards keywords on sites. We are discussing contacts & eyeglasses so it would make sense that laser eye surgery advertisements would pop up. But now they've all disappeared. I think we scared them off. Hehe.
                              theres another on ethyre always on this fprum
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X