This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis and Nationality Arm Patches

I dont know if this has been asked before so I apolgise if it has.

I spent last night watching episode 1-10 of Atlantis and noticed that wherever they are in Atlantis they have an Flag from their country of origin on one arm and the Atlantis logo on the other but whenever they are off world they dont have the patches anymore, is there a reason why they remove them?

I ask this as it seems a strange thing to do everytime they go off world.
    Also in the episode when they think they have returned to Earth, Dr Weir doesnt have the patches on when they dial Earth but when we see her straight after she has come through the gate the patches are back.

Originally posted by IndianaJones00
    I spent last night watching episode 1-10 of Atlantis and noticed that wherever they are in Atlantis they have an Flag from their country of origin on one arm and the Atlantis logo on the other but whenever they are off world they dont have the patches anymore, is there a reason why they remove them?
    I think they remove them to show a unity to outside observers, but within Atlantis it's kind of a "proud of my country" statement. Also the Flags kinda stand out if you're hiding from the Wraith.

Also in the episode when they think they have returned to Earth, Dr Weir doesnt have the patches on when they dial Earth but when we see her straight after she has come through the gate the patches are back.
    Oh, that...the men in the gate room rushed over and slapped them on her so she'd look nice for the general.
    Liaison of F.O.R.D.
    Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

I dont know if this has been asked before so I apolgise if it has.

yeah, ive found that strange too. but they sometimes do the same on sg-1 on offworld missions. and obviously, they cover them up when they go on missions on earth such as 'seth', 'smoke and mirrors' and stuff.
      ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Yeah I think part of it is so that they don't know where they are from if they are captured. And any information such as the place they are from or their nationality could be used against them in interrogation. Basically you don't want to give any more information to the enemy than you have to.

Comment

It's also a matter of camoflage or low visibility. Flashes of color in the woods after all.

Comment

I really do like the patches, it gives all this an International Space Station feel. I'd like to see more nationalities represented though. How about newer countires to the space race (in the real world), like India and China? Atlantis sould be like a mini-Earth with a sampling of many different nations. So yeah, more patches and more accents, those are great.

As to why the pathces aren't there when they're off world. I'd say it's to show that when they're on another planet in another galaxy dodging soul sucking alien-demons... all cultural designations are erased and we're all very human. But that's just my poetic reading of the slight costume modification.

Comment

Has anyone tried to make a list of all the different national patches that have appeared on the show?

So far it would appear that most of the continents have been represented. We've North America (USA, Canada), Europe (Scotland, UK, Czech Republic), Australasia (I'm not sure if the patch I saw was AUS or NZ, as they do look similar), Africa (I'm fairly sure I've seen a South Africa).

I wonder if anyone from the Axis of Evil (cue chilling music!) will pop up? Now that'd be interesting.

Comment

Yes, there is a list. I will edit this post with the link of the thread when I find it, or someone else will beat me to it.

Comment

I've seen a couple of German armband flags about.

But I really like how this is an international mission. It gives the show just that much a larger scope than if it'd been just a single nation. Plus we wouldn't get to enjoy Beckett's accent
                  sigpic
                  http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Or Zelenka's, which I also enjoy. I think all the different accents adds texture to the show (and you're right, give it a sense of scope.)

Comment

I'm hoping we'll see some French people (Don't you just love their accents? and they are cool all 'round) and some South-Americans maybe. And of course more Asian and Middle-Easterns... (I loved the Japanese Scientist in Letters from Pegasus, I'm hoping we'll see her again)
                      May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by NotANumber
                        Australasia (I'm not sure if the patch I saw was AUS or NZ, as they do look similar)
                        The Australian flag has the Union Jack on the top left corner with white stars, The NZ flag has the Union Jack on the top left corner with red stars. (Also the pattern of the stars are different, I think. ) I like the flags it gives a good international feel on the Atlantis base.

Comment

Australia:

New Zealand:

It only got a quick glimpse of the patch (I can't even remember which episode it was) so I can't recall which of the two it was.

Comment

Australia's flag is better.

Comment

It does make sense to me that they would remove the patches when they go off world so if they were captured they wouldnt know about Atlantis but nothing explains why Weir doesnt have it when they are off world and when she walks through the gate as the SGC the patches are back, will just put it down to me taking too much attention to detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X