Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Wire" discussion and appreciation thread (spoilers ahoy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Wire" discussion and appreciation thread (spoilers ahoy)

Season 1 - A brilliant first season if ever there was one.

Season 2 - A vastly underappreciated year, IMO. I loved Nick, and Frank, and the whole dockworkers/union angle. Personally I think the biggest disappointment in Season 2 is not in any failure to interest, but rather that at the end of the day, it feels like the cops did something wrong in the pursuit of Sobotka and the union. It just feels to me like rather than accomplish anything meaningful, they just got a couple of good people murdered whose biggest offense was getting into bed with the wrong people.

Season 3 - Another tremendous, and incredibly natural extension to the series. This year added all kinds of great dimensions to the show and did it in a way that made it feel like this crap was going on since before the beginning. Hamsterdam was an interesting experiment that I just can't help but wonder about in RL.

Season 4 - The crowning achievement of both the series and of all television IMO. I could type for days about this year, but from the game of dice in the alley to the crossroads at the close of the season, every second of Season 4 is a masterpiece.

Season 5 - This may not win me any friends among the Wire crowd here, but I actually kind of wish the show had ended on Season 4. While S5 does some respectable things and the writing continues to be quality throughout, I just can't help but feel that the final year of the show was a completely unnecessary coda following the genius of year 4.

Random Stuff
    Omar....need I say more? "I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase...s'all in the game though, right?"

Aiden Gillan (Tommy Carcetti) has the best imdb picture ever

Chad Coleman, Cutty in Season 3 onward, did the voiceover work for Coach in Left 4 Dead 2

Dominic West, before playing McNulty, played an unnamed palace guard in Star Wars Episode I

Bubbles is another of the most compelling characters in TV history IMO. I just love his journey
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I didn't like the last two seasons. Just my opinion. Omar, the best character in the show.
    Spoiler:
    Hated how they killed him off.

Comment

I was initially quite upset about that too. But I think it was a real stroke of genius (one of few in Season 5) that the kid who did it was the same one who was "playing" Omar in the street back in Season 3, that prompted Bunk to give him s**t over it.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Still haven't seen beyond the pilot yet - and while I liked it, I get the feeling I'll need a big fracking chart, with pictures, to keep everything straight. Does not sound like a bad thing, though.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Nahh, I didn't like it.

Best Omar line, sorta forget how it goes exactly but:

Attorney asks what is your occupation?
          Omar goes my occupation?
          Attorney clarifies, yes your job.
          Omar says with a dead serious face, I rob drug dealers.

lmao

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
            Nahh, I didn't like it.

Best Omar line, sorta forget how it goes exactly but:

Attorney asks what is your occupation?
            Omar goes my occupation?
            Attorney clarifies, yes your job.
            Omar says with a dead serious face, I rob drug dealers.

lmao
            Ohh yes

Actually my favourite part of that scene
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

Is 5:55 to the end

Comment

LOL, his whole attitude the entire time, so casual and in your face. I liked when he offed another dude from the shadows. He just went, hey yo cch ccch boom.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                I liked when he offed another dude from the shadows. He just went, hey yo cch ccch boom.
                I love that I know exactly what scene you're talking about too

Because that whole scene ended with another of my favourite Omar lines....after the other guy fails to kill Omar, Omar shouts out at him "you come at the king, you best not miss!"

So awesome

Comment

How about most hated character?

Mine's Snoop, far and away. Gods below, DIE DIE DIE.

Comment

I hated Marlo. And Cheese. And the lawyer. And that lesbian chick after she told on Lester and McNulty.
                    Spoiler:
                    Marlo was a lame gangsta that suddenly got lots of power and started killing relentlessly, he should have died long time ago. And Cheese. Felt such satisfaction when that guy blew his head off.

Comment

Also want to add Namond's mother/Wee-Bay's wife. Mein gott, what a b with an itch.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Also want to add Namond's mother/Wee-Bay's wife. Mein gott, what a b with an itch.
                        Fo sho. She played such a stereotype. What a horrible mother.

I wanted Clay Davis to die so bad the entire show. Just somehow. People like him are all over.

Comment

For me S1 and S4 are tied for my favorite. S1 was such a great set up to the whole show.

I thoroughly enjoyed S2 and 3, but I just did care quite as much for the dockworkers or their story.

I enjoyed S5 but it is my least fav. and did feel tacked on. I didn't much care for the newspaper story or what they had McNulty doing.

I was initially quite upset about that too. But I think it was a real stroke of genius (one of few in Season 5) that the kid who did it was the same one who was "playing" Omar in the street back in Season 3, that prompted Bunk to give him s**t over it.
                          Neat way to tie that in even though I kinda hated that they killed him.

Omar was a great character and one of my favs. along with D'Angelo, Bubbles, McNulty, and Bunk.

Show certainly didn't lack for characters. You do practically need a chart to keep them and their connections all straight.

How about most hated character?

Mine's Snoop, far and away. Gods below, DIE DIE DIE.
                          Same here. I was happy when Micheal got the drop on her.

The Wire is one of the very best shows I've watched.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

I was really very sad when
                            Spoiler:
                            Bodie got capped at the end of Season 4
                            . All just because someone happened to see him get in a car with McNulty after he took pity on him. Everything McNulty touches really does turn to crap

Comment

I was too even though after S1 and what they did to Wallace, I was waiting for him to get his...and hoping he would, but then after he had that conversation with McNulty, I had to feel bad for him.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X