A New Icarus Planet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Icarus Planet?

I was rewatching Fallout (SG-1 Season 7), and thought of an interesting idea about dialing Destiny from Earth.

It is stated in the episode that the Goa'uld who originally occupied Langara (Kelowna) was able to convert Naquadah into Naquadria through an artificial process. Although his experiments ultimately went awry, he was able to convert a large portion of the planet's naquadah deposits into naquadria within a relativiely short span of time (a few months, I think) without the planet exploding. Since it is also stated in this episode that naquadria cannot occur naturally, it follows that the Icarus type planets were also artificially created using the same or similar process to that described on a crystal recovered by the Kelownans. Something that the SGC could probably replicate, especially with the virtual construction capabilities of the Asgard core.

Would it be feasible to artificially convert an uninhabited planet with sizable naquadah deposits into an Icarus-type naquadria planet? We already know that the Hammond is able of scanning a planet to detect naquadria deposits within several seconds (Incursion). Could it not also scan a large number of planets for human life and naquadah deposits, and find one suitable for a naquadria conversion?

This would enable Earth to dial Destiny and send through whatever they need. I would place priority on construction of replacement parts for Destiny's power conduits (Asgard core again...), which would enable it to become fully charged and dial Earth and/or actually survive a space battle

About creating a new Icarus-type planet, first of all the core would have to be entirely made out of naquadah, deposits alone would not be enough. Second, I am not sure but wouldnt such a conversion take decades?
    And about the natural occurance of naquadriah, the two Icarus-type planets might have been created or at least converted but it is also possible they just were wrong when they said that Naquadriah could not appear naturally.

Comment

maybe thats what
      Spoiler:
      Siezure is about, Mckay and naquadria, maybe he found a way to convert a naquadah planet into a naquadria one.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        maybe thats what
        Spoiler:
        Siezure is about, Mckay and naquadria, maybe he found a way to convert a naquadah planet into a naquadria one.
        Spoiler:
        indeed, there is either a trip to langara or a visit from a delegation from langara in this episode. so we're all on the same page apparently!

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
          Spoiler:
          indeed, there is either a trip to langara or a visit from a delegation from langara in this episode. so we're all on the same page apparently!
          Spoiler:
          i think it has more to do with them getting some naquadria to make a bomb and start off a chain reaction to make more naqaudria. maybe the langaran scientists have found a way to make naquadria faster.

Comment

I hope so, it will be interesting

Comment

I like your theory, but
              Spoiler:
              The amount of spoiler tags in this thread is astounding!

No, really, it is a pretty good concept. Problem is, if Naquadria were so easy to make, don't you think we would have tried it already?
              sigpic
              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Personally, i actually hope they don't get the capacity to make naquadria on their own..

Comment

Originally posted by hobbitteacher View Post
                  I was rewatching Fallout (SG-1 Season 7), and thought of an interesting idea about dialing Destiny from Earth.

It is stated in the episode that the Goa'uld who originally occupied Langara (Kelowna) was able to convert Naquadah into Naquadria through an artificial process. Although his experiments ultimately went awry, he was able to convert a large portion of the planet's naquadah deposits into naquadria within a relativiely short span of time (a few months, I think) without the planet exploding. Since it is also stated in this episode that naquadria cannot occur naturally, it follows that the Icarus type planets were also artificially created using the same or similar process to that described on a crystal recovered by the Kelownans.
                  Why would the planets be artifically made? I am almost positive I remember Jonas saying that the Naquadria was deposited into the planet artifically, not that the planet was artifically made. That would be insane to pull off and as far as I know only the Ancients and possibly the Nox, Asgard and Furlings would be able to do that.

If you just meant depositing the Naquadria into an existing planet then that would be a lot more possible. Dial a planet they know is a wasteland, deposit the nequadria and wait. Then send a sg team or two onto the planet with supplies to send through to destiny, dial the gate to destiny and have the Odyssey or Daedelus, who have been in orbit, beam the teams up before the planet goes critical and we're done destiny is resupplied.

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                  Problem is, if Naquadria were so easy to make, don't you think we would have tried it already?
                  I don't know about hard it would be to do, it's more a question of morality of should we do this and possibly destroy the planet later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                    I like your theory, but
                    Spoiler:
                    The amount of spoiler tags in this thread is astounding!

No, really, it is a pretty good concept. Problem is, if Naquadria were so easy to make, don't you think we would have tried it already?
                    I don't think is a problem with how easy it is to create it, the problem is how unstable it is and the problems that come with that inestability (exploding planets, exploding experiments, radiation, unstable naquadria reactors that explode =D ).

Originally posted by hart37 View Post
                    Why would the planets be artifically made? I am almost positive I remember Jonas saying that the Naquadria was deposited into the planet artifically, not that the planet was artifically made. That would be insane to pull off and as far as I know only the Ancients and possibly the Nox, Asgard and Furlings would be able to do that.

If you just meant depositing the Naquadria into an existing planet then that would be a lot more possible. Dial a planet they know is a wasteland, deposit the nequadria and wait. Then send a sg team or two onto the planet with supplies to send through to destiny, dial the gate to destiny and have the Odyssey or Daedelus, who have been in orbit, beam the teams up before the planet goes critical and we're done destiny is resupplied.

I don't know about hard it would be to do, it's more a question of morality of should we do this and possibly destroy the planet later on.
                    http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Naquadria

Naquadria is a heavier, less stable isotope than naquadah that does not occur in nature. It was discovered on Kelowna, where ancient writings revealed that Thanos, the Goa'uld who had occupied the planet thousands of years ago, had been experimenting with the mineral. Thanos had managed to create a small amount of naquadria by developing a process to convert raw naquadah, but he had been killed in a cataclysmic event that nearly destroyed the planet 10,000 years ago. The resulting explosion released a massive bombardment of subatomic particles which triggered a chain reaction and catalyzed the conversion of a vein of naquadah near the planet's surface.

Comment

Originally posted by pillwokie View Post
                      I don't think is a problem with how easy it is to create it, the problem is how unstable it is and the problems that come with that inestability (exploding planets, exploding experiments, radiation, unstable naquadria reactors that explode =D ).
                      It's a side effect. (^.^)
                      sigpic

Comment

I think that we would rather mine the naquadah to build more ships to fight the LA.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbitteacher View Post

It is stated in the episode that the Goa'uld who originally occupied Langara (Kelowna) was able to convert Naquadah into Naquadria through an artificial process. Although his experiments ultimately went awry, he was able to convert a large portion of the planet's naquadah deposits into naquadria within a relativiely short span of time (a few months, I think) without the planet exploding. Since it is also stated in this episode that naquadria cannot occur naturally, it follows that the Icarus type planets were also artificially created using the same or similar process to that described on a crystal recovered by the Kelownans. Something that the SGC could probably replicate, especially with the virtual construction capabilities of the Asgard core.

Would it be feasible to artificially convert an uninhabited planet with sizable naquadah deposits into an Icarus-type naquadria planet? We already know that the Hammond is able of scanning a planet to detect naquadria deposits within several seconds (Incursion). Could it not also scan a large number of planets for human life and naquadah deposits, and find one suitable for a naquadria conversion?

This would enable Earth to dial Destiny and send through whatever they need. I would place priority on construction of replacement parts for Destiny's power conduits (Asgard core again...), which would enable it to become fully charged and dial Earth and/or actually survive a space battle
                          They stated in Air that there was naturally occurring naquadria in the planet's crust.

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                            They stated in Air that there was naturally occurring naquadria in the planet's crust.
                            That would be a pretty huge error in Stargate canon.
                            sigpic

Comment

No, they only thought that Naquadriah was only artificial. There was no confirmation either way, until Icarus was discovered.

Comment

Working...
                              X