"The 5" storyline Spoilers for all eps aired on Syfy S1-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The 5" storyline Spoilers for all eps aired on Syfy S1-3

I myself find the storyline of the 5, their past, and their adventures in the present to be WAY more entertaining than the single episodes of chasing around abnormals. The addition of John and Nikola makes all the difference in episodes to me. To be honest, if it wasnt for the possibility of Nikola showing up in an episode, my dediction to the series would be significantly less. But its not just his character, its the story behind them. The source blood, the hollow earth, that hologram thing...I just like the mystery behind all of that more than going around chasing abnormals. I'm wondering how all the other viewers feel? and hoping we get more into that story and less of the abnormal chasing... I didnt even miss Kate, although shes a great character, I just find the other characters to have a deeper connection and much better believable chemistry.

i adore the 5 and their storylines, and i kind of wish sometimes the entire show was about just them...
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wireman121 View Post
      I myself find the storyline of the 5, their past, and their adventures in the present to be WAY more entertaining than the single episodes of chasing around abnormals. The addition of John and Nikola makes all the difference in episodes to me. To be honest, if it wasnt for the possibility of Nikola showing up in an episode, my dediction to the series would be significantly less. But its not just his character, its the story behind them. The source blood, the hollow earth, that hologram thing...I just like the mystery behind all of that more than going around chasing abnormals. I'm wondering how all the other viewers feel? and hoping we get more into that story and less of the abnormal chasing... I didnt even miss Kate, although shes a great character, I just find the other characters to have a deeper connection and much better believable chemistry.
      I completely agree with you. I found Sanctuary to have a lot of sub-par story elements to it, and a lot of the plots were/still are typical B Scifi. I gradually gave up on it, until this season, which I've been watching again because of Tesla. I'm really enjoying the series again, and what keeps me watching despite all the things that I don't like about the show is the mythology they've created based on historical figures, the history of the 5, the Five as characters, and basically everything you mentioned. I generally don't care about Will or Kate or, to a lesser extent Biggie.

Sometimes I don't feel like they even do "the 5" characters justice (I feel that Helen's attitude toward abnormals is inconsistent. Sometimes she's portrayed as their guardian and champion, sometimes she just locks them up, and then she goes and calls them abnormals in the first place--seriously, how much more stigma can you attach to a group that you're suppose to be trying to protect? It might as well be a sanctuary for "monsters and mutants". Almost any other name would give them more dignity).

But I love the fundamental mythology they are working with, and the characters of the 5 + Henry, and that is what keeps me watching the show (for now).
      Last edited by sparklegem; 04 December 2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I think it has been hard for the show in the first two seasons to do more with The Five because 13 episodes are so limiting. I also LOVE The Five and have loved any episode that involved The Five. In fact, those are among my favourite episodes of the series but I also love other episodes like PN and Requiem. It love the twist they have given these historical characters. A large part of my admiration for these episodes is because the actors who play the characters are so brilliant. Having said that, I think TPTB have done a good job with the limited episodes in the first two seasons of bringing us a mix of stories and I don't think making the whole series about The Five is the right way to go. I do like the other characters on the show and like to see them as well.

Bottom line, give me many more 20 episode seasons where we can continue to involve The Five as a significant part of the show.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I dont see how 20 eps changes anything?
          Sure you can do more. But they could have easily made a continuous arc (like the one they have now) with 13 eps.
          Plus flashbacks in every other ep wouldnt have been a bad thing. Or a full ep in the past.
          I understand that in order to get more ppl watching its easier if you have moster of the week instead of a full blown arc. But I always though quality was better.
          A lot of shows today have 13 eps and they are really good.
          I think I like S01 more then S02 because it was more continuous then S02. Sure S02 gave us Pavor Nocturnus and Veritas but overall it had some very weak eps. How good was it to see Tesla in Sleepers and Druitt in Haunted? Now imagine a whole ep or 2 just with the 5? Pretty cool!?!

My point? The story they have now, with the city, would have made a really good season.
          Of course it would help if all the characters had been there from the start and there was no need to introduce anyone.
          And evolve the ones they have with the story.

Comment

I thought I might post here what I've been working on. A timeline I did for The Five. Thought it might be a great thing to have in this thread. I You may read it here - at my WordPress. And I suggest you do. It's a prettier version. I don't have time to make it as neat here.

Thanks to CC, Artie, Mimzy and Kes for helping. If anyone feels like there's something missing, that you could specify something, please do. I'll update it as the show goes on anyway.

Sanctuary: The Five Timeline
            150+ years worth of history

1. 1829: Birth of Gregory Magnus. His future wife will be Patricia Heathering.
            (Justification: Helen said it in Warriors.)

2. 1851: Birth of Helen Magnus.
            (Justification: Helen is 157 in Sanctuary for All, so 2008 – 157 = 1851.)

3. Somewhere between 1870 and 1885: Gregory Magnus shows his daughter his laboratory in the underground of his house in London, after Helen insisted a little.
            (Justification: Transcript from Warriors-
            Helen: You are the most talented medical researcher I have ever known and yet you keep your most important work hidden from the world. From me. If you truly believe that I have potential father, please, help me achieve it.
            Gregory: Once you enter this door, you are on a path that cannot be reversed.)

4. Prior to spring of 1886: (although, not to far, so perhaps sometime near the fall of 1885), Adam Worth hovers around The Five. They don’t like him and think something’s off about the man. Helen goes to him to tell him their group is fine without him.
            (Justification: In Revelations part I, James indicates that the spring of 86 is when Helen stopped aging – so when she injected herself with the source blood. As to that, the experiences they did must have happened before.)

5. Spring of 1886: Helen is injected with the source blood and stops aging. The others probably follow at some point in the summer – I’m assuming they waited for a while after Helen to see if the serum they made with the blood had any effects.
            (Justification: See #1.)

6. Between 1886 and 1890 (events in no particular order):
            - Gregory Magnus hides the Source Blood.
            - He works on bioengineered abnormals.
            - Gregory will disappear on an expedition to Mecca, leaving his work into the capable hands of his daughter.
            (Justification: In Warriors, Gregory – as Charlie – says he’s going on 61. So, I’m assuming he disappeared around the same age, or a little before that, in the past. Since he hid the Source blood, it had to be after The Five’s experimentation, so somewhere between 1886 and 1890 – he is born in 1829, so will be 61 in 1890.)

7. Between 1886 and 1889: John is ill/injured/something we barely know about, but know happened. Helens gives him her blood so he can survive – stopping his aging as well.
            (Justification: In Sanctuary or All part II, Helen tells Will she gave John her blood to save – and prolonged – his life. In the flashback seen in the beginning of Kush – their engagement – he thanks her for saving his life. Therefore, I’m to assume this took place after they injected themselves with the blood, but before their engagement –which could have happened anytime after the experiments and before the last Ripper murder in 1889.)

8. Between 1886 and 1889, but after #7, in winter: Helen and John get engaged.
            (Justification: See flashback at the beginning of Kush.
            We’re assuming in winter, from John’s overcoat and the play (London theatres closed in the summer and reopened late in the fall in that era), of 1887 or 1888 – because it would make sense for them to have a long engagement, as he would be expected to have a house when they married, and would need to save the money to buy one, or at least to rent them something nice.)

9. November 1889: Last murder of Jack the Ripper in Whitechapel. Helen is there and shots John – he flees. Not long after, Helen freezes the embryo of her unborn child.
            (Justification: We know the place and time of the last Ripper murder and we’ve seen in a flashback at the end of Sanctuary for All part II that Helen was there. Plus, I’m assuming from her reaction at seeing him again in For King and Country that she hasn’t seen him between 1888 and circa-1910.)

10. Circa 1900: Adam Worth’s daughter, Imogene, is dying and he asks for Helen’s and Watson’s help.
            (Justification: See flashbacks in FK&C.)

11. Circa 1910: The Prime Minister and the King of England blackmail The Five into helping them arrest Adam Worth, who had been plotting to kill thousands of people in London with a toxin. Order of events seen:
            - The PM asks The Five to eliminate Adam;
            - Helen and John walk together on the bridge;
            - The Five discovers the cyanide (is that right?) machine;
            - Helen shoots Adam in the shoulder. He lets himself fall off the cliff and into the water. John zorts in and makes a pact with Adam. In exchange for location of safe houses, weapons caches and other things to help him avoid capture, he lets him ‘die’ in the water – or so he thought. In fact, Adam floats to the city underground and they save/revive him.
            (Justification: See numerous flashbacks in FK&C.)

12. 1943: Helen fakes Nikola Tesla’s death as a favour to him because every major spy agency in the world is looking for him.
            (Justification: See The Five. Plus, the real Nikola Tesla died in 43.)

13. 1944: Helen is in Normandy for the invasion.
            (Justification: See the discussion she has with Kate at the beginning of Hero II; and probably episode 3×17 – Normandy.)

14. Early sixties: Griffin dies, leaving behind a daughter – and later a granddaughter – who inherited his gift.
            (Justification: See Revelations part I.)

15. 1985: Ashley’s birth.
            (Justification: Ashley is 23 years old in Requiem, in 2008. Therefore, I assume she was born in 1985.)

16. 2008-beginning of 2009: Events related to The Five in order of appearance on the show:
            - John Druitt finds out about Ashley and comes back to haunt Helen after 100 years.
            - Nikola Tesla makes an appearance into Helen’s life after 60 years without contact.
            - The Five (minus Griffin, but with his granddaughter Clara) is reunited for a mission to recuperate the bottle containing the Source Blood. In the aftermath of that mission, James Watson dies.
            - Ashley’s death.
            (Justification: See Sanctuary for All part I & II; The Five; Revelations part I & II; End of Nights I & II and Eulogy.)

17. 2009: – Nikola Tesla is no longer a vampire, but has now magnetic powers.
            - Helen discovers that a creature has taken John as a host and might be responsible for the Ripper’s murders.
            (Justification: See Sleepers and Haunted.)
            Last edited by LadyGalaxyJ; 09 December 2010, 09:21 AM.
            sigpic
            Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
            My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
            Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Really good.

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
              12. Somewhere in-between: Griffin dies, leaving behind a daughter – and later a granddaughter – who inherited his gift.
              (Justification: See Revelations part I.)
              I'm pretty sure Helen says Griffin died the early sixties.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
                Really good.

I'm pretty sure Helen says Griffin died the early sixties.
                Really? Nice. *goes off to edit*

That's why I'm posting it. I couldn't possibly remember everything.
                sigpic

Comment

Yeh!

The whole problem with the timeline is that quite a few things come for history (because some are historical characters) but we have to keep in mind that the writers will most likely ignore quite a few things.
                  I remember reading somewhere that the real Tesla was never at Oxford and in a few dates already mentioned he was in the US already.

Comment

Yeah, I know. But I tried sticking mostly to the show (except for let's say his "death" - we know Magnus did it during WWII, 1943 fits.) If the show contradicts any of what's written, I'll edit it. It will be a continuing WIP.

Another exemple: If you take the birthdates of their 'real' self... John is seven years younger than Helen and Nikola is 5 years younger. o.ô
                    I'm sorry, but I've always see them, if not older, then the same age. XD
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, me too.
                      Might seem old fashion but if she was older then only like 1 year or 2. 7 is way too many LOL

Comment

Awsome job!!! thanks for the timeline makes fanfictioning so much easier XD
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X