Why the theme music was changed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the theme music was changed...

So, I listened to the Kali Part III podcast the other day, and Damian explained why they changed the theme. This is what he says (after much editing on my part):

Now, the old theme was fantastic....but there was a very deliberate reason, which is that the music has elevated in pace and depth and kind of energy into seasons two and three....but we found that when we went from the tease....when the tease music would end, it would go into Joel's theme which was....more orchestral but it was a little bit more lower energy and pace. And we found the energy dipped and we felt we'd sort of do a dip during the title sequence and come back, so we felt we needed something that matched the rest of the show's music, and so we asked Andrew to compose a new theme.
    I have to say, I respectfully and completely disagree with their decision...having a theme song that's slightly less upbeat than the music from the teaser is not a very good reason to change the theme entirely. I've seen plenty of action-packed teasers in The X-Files, and every time they end and that quiet, downbeat theme (without even any drums in it) starts playing, I certainly don't feel the slightest energy dip.

I personally think that the old theme was a much better fit for the cerebral, mysterious mood of the series. Plus, Damian's always said that the show was character-driven, and Sanctuary is definitely not an action show first and foremost, yet it seems that they've changed the theme (and the whole soundtrack too) to fit a more action-oriented show!

From hearing this explanation and listening to the two themes, I think they're going through a bit of an identity crisis when it comes to Sanctuary's musical mood. So what's everyone's take on this? Do you think that Damian's explanation is sound (no pun intended ), are they trying to figure out their best style, or is this a polite way of saying "We didn't want Joel Goldsmith's theme because he's not composing for the show anymore"?
    sigpic
    ~the guitarists~

I agree completely! I much, much preferred the first theme song.

Comment

I've grown to like the new theme, not that I get to hear it anymore, living in the US, but I don't think it matches the visuals, which are darker and more mysterious than the music seems to allow for. Should they change one to match the other and put the whole thing back up, I would be more than happy.
      "The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
      -Brom in Eragon

Comment

The old theme was way better IMO, but that being said, I'm not really that bothered, it's over in a few seconds and then the good stuff starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyarra View Post
          I've grown to like the new theme, not that I get to hear it anymore, living in the US, but I don't think it matches the visuals, which are darker and more mysterious than the music seems to allow for. Should they change one to match the other and put the whole thing back up, I would be more than happy.
          I agree with you. When I first watched Kali III I was a little confused as to why they would change it because I didn't see it going with the pics at all.. So Kyarra, I completely agree with you....
          sigpic
          Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyarra View Post
            I agree. When you watch the whole thing, it's obvious that the opening wasn't designed with the new theme in mind. I hope they redo it for season 4.
            sigpic
            ~the guitarists~

Comment

I like the new one...the two times i've been able to hear it. dang skiffy and their bloody 10 second credits. they butcher it.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I like old theme a lot more

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  I like the new one...the two times i've been able to hear it. dang skiffy and their bloody 10 second credits. they butcher it.
                  Martin Wood did mention that they fought to keep the credits long in America, but couldn't really do anything about it
                  sigpic
                  ~the guitarists~

Comment

I like the old theme way better. There's nothing wrong with the new one, but I find it very jarring and somewhat out of place.

Maybe, as suggested above, they are trying to find the best fit for the show (music, as well as stories). It seems to me sometimes that the focus of the show has changed a fair amount from what it was when it first aired, as though they are still trying to find what works best.

Comment

I liked the old theme and initially questioned the logic of changing it based on the fact that you want your theme to be instantly recognizable. Plus it was the second time the theme was changed if you go back to the webisodes. However, because in Canada we get to hear the theme every week, it has grown on me and I do like it. I heard DK's explanation and understand their reasoning. Bottom line, I'm on board with the new theme.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                        I liked the old theme and initially questioned the logic of changing it based on the fact that you want your theme to be instantly recognizable. Plus it was the second time the theme was changed if you go back to the webisodes. However, because in Canada we get to hear the theme every week, it has grown on me and I do like it. I heard DK's explanation and understand their reasoning. Bottom line, I'm on board with the new theme.
                        When I first heard the new theme I didn't like it and didn't think it fit in with the visuals. Being from the UK we get the full credits, and the new theme has grown on me. I even found myself humming the tune.

It seems that it's mainly the US folk, who don't hear the full theme, that have a problem with it.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have to say I like the old theme better but then again I don't mind the new theme.

I've grown to like it. But if they change the sequence back to the old one then I wouldn't mind that either
                          sigpic
                          My tumblr

Comment

I like the old one better because I was so used to it. It became the shows identity and that's why theme songs shouldnt change. I like the new song it just doesnt fit the credits and again...theme songs are untouchable!
                            Thank you Syfy for cutting it. I'd get pissed off listening to it in every ep.

Comment

I actually like the new theme song. Not that I didn't love the original as well. They did the same thing with Star Trek Enterprise's theme in the 3rd season. Took the old one and remixed it so it sounded faster.
                              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                              CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                              GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                              VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                              FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X