Watching James Bond Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching James Bond Films

Right now I'm watching Octopussy (Octocat in some places).

The plot revolves around setting a nuclear bomb off at a US Air Force base in Europe because the Russian General is hungry to see the Soviet Union take over more than half of Europe.

The thing is though, when I watch a movie like this, I know it's just for entertainment, and I am a fan of James Bond movies too.

But sometimes I wonder, if plots like these actually happen behind the scenes somewhere in the world. It's just my curiosity rearing it's ugly head though.

But I also wonder if anybody else thinks about things like this, that if thing like the James Bond movies actually happen?

I realize it's a silly thing to think about, but sometimes one has to wonder.

I think setting off bombs on or near bases was the Soviet plan if they were ever to try to invade, crippleing the communications, weapons an command structures before a single solder move cross the borders, they did create hundreds of suit case bombs for there agents to carry aboard an keep an wait for the instructions to set them off after all.

Other James bonds stories like tomorrow never dies has the basic premised of the media creating the stories rather than just reporting the facts, yeah almost certainly happens in real life, may be not quite to the scale of the movie, trying to start a war between China an UK but probably a lot smaller events an mainly in the celebrity areas.

As to other stories, such as the last james bond film Quantum of Solace, that does happen, it did in Iraq for instant where is was the state that use dams to cut off water to tribes that did not support Saddam Hussain.

Most of the books were said to be based on stories swapped between Fleming an his MI6 an MI5 friends an WW2 stories, so what is true an what is completely made up is anyone guest. Well unless you have complete access to MI6 an MI5 archives, which I do not an even if I did I could not say I did.
    Last edited by knowles2; 04 December 2010, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Well Ian Fleming used to work in Navy Intelligence so there is no real way to tell exactly how much he wrote is based on real life, and how many characters are based on people he really knew.

That said, I think you really have to draw the line somewhere, so I doubt anything like the plot of Octopussy took place. Any small detail of information he/his team recovered could have been blown out of proportion for a book. I'm not sure how when Fleming left the service, so a lot of his information would have been WW2, late 40s and early 50s and around that time, atomic bombs were still being tested just to perfect the technology but I wouldn't be surprised if Germans had plans for their atomic project to do this, or even the Soviets after the war.
      Last edited by SaberBlade; 04 December 2010, 01:28 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X