PDA

View Full Version : Why are there differences? (season 8 and movie spoilers)

tomaso88
November 30th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I was wondering Why is the time line effected differently from seasons 8's last episodes and the movie continuum why is it when the future with out the stargate different on the 2.

differences.

Season 8
Jacks retired
and his son is dead.
Samantha is working not that high up even though her father in this time line still should have ended up offering her the position as a astronaut.

Continuum
Jacks son is alive and he is still working.
she is a astronaut but dies.

and then their is other minor things such as Danial should have seen the carbon test or whatever they did in the episode his friend turns in to a Goa'uld and his old boss/friend died showing his theory was right.

You get my point there are to many differences but the only difference was the stargate wasnt recovered.

Sorry this was kind of confusing but I think the basic Idea of what I am saying is obvious.

escyos
November 30th, 2010, 02:38 AM
because they were different timelines. every choice leads to an outcome and every one is differenet.

In season 8s one: the stargate was taken by Ra
In Continuum: the stargate was lost at sea

LtColCarter
November 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
In season 8 Sam wasn't in the military. So, The astronaut thing would've been out. But its like escyos says...they are two different timelines.

tomaso88
November 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
yea but even though they are 2 dif time lines a lot of the stuff still should have happened because their choices still would have been the same up to a point.

LtColCarter
November 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
yea but even though they are 2 dif time lines a lot of the stuff still should have happened because their choices still would have been the same up to a point.

Up to a point yes...but people make thousands of decisions a day. And according to the multiverse theory at each decision we make there are "forks in the road." So, it could've been decisions made long before the events in our timeline unfolded allowing our SG-1 to be our SG-1.

SaberBlade
November 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I think it's important to remember, that the alternate timeline in season 8 wasn't actually alternate.

If I remember right, people were a bit upset at the idea SG1 at the end of Moebius wasn't the same SG1 we'd been watching from season 1, I think mainly because Jack's pond had fish when it shouldn't have, so some people panicked that they retconned 8 seasons of SG1 . Now Jack being a bad fisher wasn't good enough, so a complicated scifi explanation was needed just to confuse people. So, I think it went something like;

Moebius 1 has a team going back in time and screwing things up, causing a second timeline. Moebius 2 involves the second timeline team going back to fix their mistakes. They fix the mistakes and this leads to the creation of timeline 3, the official Stargate timeline we'd been watching for 8 seasons.

So Baal going back in time wouldn't change anything major, because he's alternating the official timeline/timeline 3 which involved Carter becoming an Air Force officer and without the SG program, accepted her fathers offer to get her into NASA. Baal should have only changed the SG program being in everyone's lives. Jack's son still should have died (although I don't know why he survived), Carter still should joined the Air Force, Jackson still should have been a crackpot with weird ideas about the pyramids. The only person who should have been severally affected would be Mitchell, who of course didn't exist.

Fan-e-Gate
November 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
To quote Captain Janeway:
Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache.

LtColCarter
November 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache.

I concur with Captain Janeway!

tiaf
December 2nd, 2010, 06:29 AM

:) I agree!

Snowman37
December 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
In regards to "Moebius," what's wrong with the original team perishing in the past? Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c are still the same people regardless of the timeline. Granted, their alternate selves were less heroic, but in the end... they were the same more or less. The same applies to Continuum. In regards to timeline changes... In "Moebius," Ra took the stargate when he left Earth around 3,000 BC. In Continuum, Ba'al tried to sink the Achelles which was bringing the stargate from Egypt to the USA. One can't expect two alternate timelines to unfold in precisely the same way given that the point of divergence differs by some five thousand years.

LtColCarter
December 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM
In regards to "Moebius," what's wrong with the original team perishing in the past? Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c are still the same people regardless of the timeline. Granted, their alternate selves were less heroic, but in the end... they were the same more or less. The same applies to Continuum. In regards to timeline changes... In "Moebius," Ra took the stargate when he left Earth around 3,000 BC. In Continuum, Ba'al tried to sink the Achelles which was bringing the stargate from Egypt to the USA. One can't expect two alternate timelines to unfold in precisely the same way given that the point of divergence differs by some five thousand years.

Very true...but I still agree with the Captain Janeway quote! ;)

stanlemon
March 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I agree with Janeway. I don't think people realise the effect altering time can cause. Like people dying so they don't make the interactions with others that they should and don't have kids they should. My example being more than Cam's grandad died, so not only does Cam not get born but the children and grandchildren of other people don't get born and who knows how that can change things.