PDA

View Full Version : Destiny's Shuttles

Etagrats sailor
November 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
It's seems that destiny had originally 3 docking pad for the Shuttles based on the picture bellow! Although the crew only found two Shuttles, So what do think about that?

Do you think that there is a missing one for an unknown reason? or it's just a guest parking spot for guests :) ?

<Snipped image>

Mozzza
November 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM
It's seems that destiny had originally 3 docking pad for the Shuttles based on the picture bellow! Although the crew only found two Shuttles, So what do think about that?

Do you think that there is a missing one for an unknown reason? or it's just a guest parking spot for guests :) ?

<Snipped image requote>

I'd say missing one considering the ship is banged up.

Greenfire32
November 28th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Its probably inaccessible due to hull damage. And if there's hull damage, it's no far cry to assume the shuttle itself is either defunct or gone altogether as well

Etagrats sailor
November 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM
but how? that would suppose that the Destiny shields were down in that time! and by that assumption, it's also possible that Destiny was boarded at some point!

Greenfire32
November 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
If you watch the pilot carefully, you'll see one of the Smurf's ships detach itself.

There is hull damage all over the ship.

Etagrats sailor
November 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
If you watch the pilot carefully, you'll see one of the Smurf's ships detach itself.

There is hull damage all over the ship.

yeah! i saw that, but i also remember Rush saying that they tried many times to board Destiny but its automated defenses prevented them from doing that... although as you pointed out they managed to pass the shields. it's kinna confusing actually!

Greenfire32
November 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
yeah! i saw that, but i also remember Rush saying that they tried many times to board Destiny but its automated defenses prevented them from doing that... although as you pointed out they managed to pass the shields. it's kinna confusing actually!

Rush is a man who can do many a great thing. Lying is one of those things.

I don't trust him and anything he says as "fact" is immediately chalked up as "fabrication" in my book.

SG-17
November 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
The ship has been traveling for 60 million years. Pieces are bound to get knocked off. Plus I believe that it was mentioned in passing early in season 1 that the ship originally had 3 shuttles.

Etagrats sailor
November 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Rush is a man who can do many a great thing. Lying is one of those things.

I don't trust him and anything he says as "fact" is immediately chalked up as "fabrication" in my book.

i agree! but let's assume that he was telling the truth! does that mean that may be destiny have some sort of an automated internal defense system inside the ship it self? what do you think?

Mozzza
November 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
i agree! but let's assume that he was telling the truth! does that mean that may be destiny have some sort of an automated internal defense system inside the ship it self? what do you think?

It depends what you mean by "inside". If it does have a system inside, I wonder why they sparks go off all the time xP

escyos
November 29th, 2010, 12:44 AM
again with this....YES there was three shuttles, NO there was three shuttles, who cares right now

garhkal
November 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Perhaps though the blue' shuttle' did attach itself, the shields still stopped them getting in.

Larkie
December 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Re: Destiny's Shuttles
Perhaps though the blue' shuttle' did attach itself, the shields still stopped them getting in.
Wouldn't that detached ship get vapourized in FTL? I've been wondering about that for a long time now

Greenfire32
December 2nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't that detached ship get vapourized in FTL? I've been wondering about that for a long time now

If a car travels at 50 MPH and you throw a tennis ball, the ball is also traveling at 50 MPH (slightly faster since it was thrown).

If Destiny travels in FTL and a Smurf-pod detaches itself, the pod is also traveling in FTL.

This is where you go, "But what about the whole, 'shuttle will be vaporized if it's not locked down' episode?" to which I respond: Destiny would enter FTL while the shuttle would not. Place your hands parallel to one another (like you're going to clap). Move your right hand to the left until it contacts your left hand. Your right hand is Destiny, your left is the shuttle. Now put your hands together and move them to the left. This is what happens when the shuttle is docked. Now (hands still together) move both hands to the left but at different rates of speed. This is what we saw in air.

Mozzza
December 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM

Well that ship that detached itself was from the blues, we've seen them jump into FTL before, so I'd imagine the ship had a shield of it's own. In fact, I think it did, from memory.

garhkal
December 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Yup... You see a glow around it in Air.. the ones we saw get vaporised on season 1 were not close enough to dock..

kymeric
December 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Rush was wrong about the power in light and darkness and the age of the ship, its not like hes Daniel Jackson whos never wrong XD

Greenfire32
December 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Rush was wrong about the power in light and darkness and the age of the ship, its not like hes Daniel Jackson whos never wrong XD

Rush is hardly ever wrong. He lies most of the time, but he's very rarely wrong.

garhkal
December 6th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Actually go back.. he does seem to suspect but is wairy of confirming it to others.

sgc
December 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
The docking clamps failed and it was disintegrated when Destiny jumped back to FTL.

Greenfield
February 12th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I was reading stuff from s2.5 episodes and here is what I think... minor spoilers of S2.5.
I think that the third and the missing shuttle can be explained by the first s2.5 episodes involving time travel. 2x Rush and so on...
Atm it seems like the one of two possible scenarios, other being posted by sgc.

ns2
February 13th, 2011, 06:39 AM
That would be very interesting

lt1superman
February 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think it was used by someone. I highly doubt the mechanism failed and it fell off or got disintegrated.

Greenfire32
February 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I think it was used by someone. I highly doubt the mechanism failed and it fell off or got disintegrated.

Well it's been drifting in space for millions of years. Mechanical failure is not something we should doubt at this point.

lt1superman
February 16th, 2011, 02:27 PM
shouldn't have failed if it was never used ;)

Greenfield
February 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Exactly if you keep it in box, only battery wear off and it will dust a bit. Yes it could have been hit by something, but if it was protected by shield I think it was safe from that... well there is a short circuit probability, but it seems like until we put our hands on Ancient tech. it seems to work perfectly well.

Greenfire32
February 19th, 2011, 01:43 PM

The ship is/was traveling on a predetermined automatic course.

Ie: it was being used. For millions of years at that.

lt1superman
February 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM
The ship is/was traveling on a predetermined automatic course.

Ie: it was being used. For millions of years at that.

how was the shuttle being used for millions of years?

Greenfire32
February 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
how was the shuttle being used for millions of years?

The docking clamps are part of Destiny, not the shuttle. If the clamps failed, the shuttle would have drifted off and become lost to the Destiny.

Also, there is extensive external damage all around the Destiny. It's not too far of a stretch to assume the shuttle was just destroyed.

But, in Air part 1 a shuttle belonging to the Blues can be seen detaching the Destiny, so it also wouldn't be unlikely that they just took it (or anyone else for that matter).

What I'm trying to say is, at this point we don't really have any reason to discount any and all possibilities as to what happened to the shuttle. It could have been all three above.

Nth Chevron
February 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I believe its in the ep "Trial and Error," one of the Destiny explosion sequences, where you can see FIVE shuttle docking points, 2 either side of the Main corridor from the gateroom back to back and the main one in front of the gateroom area

N.C

lt1superman
February 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
The docking clamps are part of Destiny, not the shuttle. If the clamps failed, the shuttle would have drifted off and become lost to the Destiny.

Also, there is extensive external damage all around the Destiny. It's not too far of a stretch to assume the shuttle was just destroyed.

But, in Air part 1 a shuttle belonging to the Blues can be seen detaching the Destiny, so it also wouldn't be unlikely that they just took it (or anyone else for that matter).

What I'm trying to say is, at this point we don't really have any reason to discount any and all possibilities as to what happened to the shuttle. It could have been all three above.

true I only hope we find out
mechanically it seems logical that if the clamps were never disengaged then they shouldn't have failed, a more likely scenario would be they rusted or oxidized and would fail to release... the other clamps seems to work just fine

who really knows

Nth Chevron
February 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rust in a vacuum ?

N.C

lt1superman
February 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM
sure from the atmosphere leaking and the shield holding it in?
throwing **** into a fan here I know

but the whole ship has that kind of deteriorated look so

I don't know only hope we get to find out

garhkal
February 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I believe its in the ep "Trial and Error," one of the Destiny explosion sequences, where you can see FIVE shuttle docking points, 2 either side of the Main corridor from the gateroom back to back and the main one in front of the gateroom area

N.C
Care to show screen caps for this?

morrismike
February 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Has Rush ever told the truth when doing so wasn't directly saving his own skin?

Didn't think so.

Nth Chevron
February 28th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Care to show screen caps for this?

Just spent 20 minutes looking for what i thought i saw, checked all screencaps and even checked google images, it appears i was mistaken and apologise.

3 shuttle docks is all i can see.

It might've been me mistaking explosions from a Destiny destruction shot in "The Greater Good" for 2 more shuttle docks

N.C

Fan-e-Gate
March 22nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season2/203-Awakening/screencaps/sgu_203_0004.jpg

You can see in this screen cap that the docking clamps for the third shuttle have been retracted with no signs of damage to them. So it appears that someone or something took the shuttle.

Nth Chevron
March 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Or they just retract automatically when theres nothing occupying them, like letting it adrift, left behind as fighter screen, blown off or taken.

N.C

garhkal
March 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I can barely make out the closest one's closing clamps.. The mid one and the far one (center) i can not even see.

Naquadah_nut
March 23rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
i think the 3rd is just a guest slot, or maybe the one the ancients departed from after launching the vessel, they didnt have any matter transporters at that time so id imagine that they would have finished final prep and left the ship via shuttle, plus if there was an incident while the ship was still nearby or withing the milky way, they would have to get on board and what easier way than a shuttle instead of docking with a larger ship.

garhkal
March 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
That would make for an interesting plot.. BUT then do we know if the shuttles can go FTL? otherwise how would it have caught up while still in the MW?

kirmit
March 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
i think the 3rd is just a guest slot, or maybe the one the ancients departed from after launching the vessel, they didnt have any matter transporters at that time so id imagine that they would have finished final prep and left the ship via shuttle, plus if there was an incident while the ship was still nearby or withing the milky way, they would have to get on board and what easier way than a shuttle instead of docking with a larger ship.

Gating in?

garhkal
March 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
True dat...

Naquadah_nut
March 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
would be a pain if it was local, say it broke down near jupiter, although saying that, with this whole not being based on coordinates thing they could have just gated in i suppose. think most theories have merits thou

Maxwellxii
March 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM
the front docking clamps night be for a seed ship!?!

Edi
March 26th, 2011, 02:23 AM
The seed ship was docked under the Destiny .. if my memory serves me right.

Voyager_sput
March 26th, 2011, 05:04 AM
The seed ship was docked under the Destiny .. if my memory serves me right.

Very true, near the front end of Destiny:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season2/210-Resurgence/screencaps/sgu_210_1198.jpg

Edi
March 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I just had an idea.. quite logical, actually. What if.. the free slot is just that - a free slot! For a guest shuttle. Just in case. Transport people and/or resources. (from whatever place .. another Destiny class ship? Seeder (do they have shuttle slots or something) ? Base station.. ? something. )

garhkal
March 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I just had an idea.. quite logical, actually. What if.. the free slot is just that - a free slot! For a guest shuttle. Just in case. Transport people and/or resources. (from whatever place .. another Destiny class ship? Seeder (do they have shuttle slots or something) ? Base station.. ? something. )

We never saw any shuttles on the seed ship in season 2.. so i doubt that. BUT if the Destiny IS one of 4 (or 6) ships sent out, in each direction, perhaps the transfer of shuttles from one to another (using that spare slot) is one way they were going to use to transfer data/personnel.

Nth Chevron
March 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Or they could use the Stargate when close enough for faster/easier/safer transfer as it has been shown Destiny classes can dial each other.

Even though i believe there is only one.

N.C

garhkal
March 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
True... Heck do we even know the 'max' range of the shuttles?

Demoniser
March 31st, 2011, 02:51 AM

They probably used the many airlocks on the ship, or the gate.

rushy
March 31st, 2011, 09:19 AM
Maybe it was taken by the former crew(Evidence:the Life Support had run out. If Destiny had been with a crew, Life Support would be max) or maybe some alien got it(Shield Penetration technology)

garhkal
March 31st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Or it got too damaged, and destiny ejected it.

hagerson
April 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Destiny had two (one damaged badly), when the current crew boarded. They repaired the damaged one and then left it with the crew that stayed behind on the uber alien built planet. They then crashed the remaining shuttle. The uber aliens somehow returned a completely repaired shuttle with the lone surviver of the failed colony. Then This season on Twin Destiny, an out of time synced shuttle was brought on board by an out of time sync Rush. Oh and apparently after all this time we find out shuttles are in fact armed!

Solokiller
April 3rd, 2011, 06:28 AM
They were seen firing on enemies in Space, you know, when they defended the ship against the blues.

Greenfire32
April 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Destiny had two (one damaged badly), when the current crew boarded. They repaired the damaged one and then left it with the crew that stayed behind on the uber alien built planet. They then crashed the remaining shuttle. The uber aliens somehow returned a completely repaired shuttle with the lone surviver of the failed colony. Then This season on Twin Destiny, an out of time synced shuttle was brought on board by an out of time sync Rush. Oh and apparently after all this time we find out shuttles are in fact armed!
There was more than one "lone survivor" and we've known about the shuttle's weapon capabilities since season 1.

rushy
April 3rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
There was more than one "lone survivor" and we've known about the shuttle's weapon capabilities since season 1.

Yeah, I thought that "every lone survivor" of the entire failed colony was there and they all died during the episode. Plus, the Shuttle's weapons have been seen since Space.

Greenfire32
April 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I thought that "every lone survivor" of the entire failed colony was there and they all died during the episode. Plus, the Shuttle's weapons have been seen since Space.

Yup

IWKYZerocool
March 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM
Quick question people. Do you think a ring transporter will fit inside a shuttle?

garhkal
March 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
Too wide to.

Aesop
March 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Who knows what happened. My guess is the absent shuttle has something to do with the Nakai, either they managed to board Destiny at one point and maybe had to flee on the—now missing—shuttle. Or maybe they attacked Destiny at one point and either damaged the docking clamps for the shuttle (causing it to incinerate the next time Destiny launched into FTL) or they destroyed the shuttle directly.

I doubt it's missing because of the Ancients though, canonically they never went to Destiny, and it would seem odd that they just decided not to build three shuttles even though they have three parking spaces. Unless one was an auxiliary docking point of some sort in case another was damaged or blocked.

garhkal
March 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Or the seed ships were also supposed to have one, and shuttles could go back and fourth.

Aesop
March 23rd, 2013, 02:42 AM
Or the seed ships were also supposed to have one, and shuttles could go back and fourth.

That's a good guess, that probably makes more sense than anything else.

kalenc
March 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
The first post mentions a Nakai ship undocking from Destiny in the pilot, the pic is no longer there or something so could someone clarify?
Also, the extra shuttle dock was probably used fore sending people to Destiny when she and the other two shuttles were being built. Speculating that she was built in space, seems more practical.

Aesop
March 30th, 2013, 01:52 AM
The first post mentions a Nakai ship undocking from Destiny in the pilot, the pic is no longer there or something so could someone clarify?
Also, the extra shuttle dock was probably used fore sending people to Destiny when she and the other two shuttles were being built. Speculating that she was built in space, seems more practical.

I think it was Air, Part 2 in which a Nakai fighter detached itself from Destiny's hull at the end just before the credits rolled. It was docked the same way the shuttles dock, more it had just attached itself to the hull like when they kidnapped Chloe.

kalenc
March 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Believe I saw that, but I swear someone said in Air part 1. My bad if it wasn't.
Actually wasn't it part 3 when it pans out while Matt and Chloe are talking?

Aesop
April 3rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
Believe I saw that, but I swear someone said in Air part 1. My bad if it wasn't.
Actually wasn't it part 3 when it pans out while Matt and Chloe are talking?

It might have been, I often consider all three parts to be one "premier episode". So I'll just say at some point near the end of the premier we see a Nakai fighter detach from Destiny's hull.

kalenc
April 3rd, 2013, 04:01 PM
Ah k, I was wondering, are the energy bands like a shield of shorts on the fighter? That was kinda bugging me. I'm guessing it was a shield so it could safely detach.

Aesop
April 11th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Ah k, I was wondering, are the energy bands like a shield of shorts on the fighter? That was kinda bugging me. I'm guessing it was a shield so it could safely detach.

Yeah I believe those "bands" are how the energy shields manifest themselves on the fighters.

jeremyadamson
April 29th, 2013, 10:04 AM

<Snipped image requote>

I am one of those people who doesnt handle himself well when it comes to taking away quality mind challenging entertainment, so after i watched all of every stargate, 6 times each, I changed them into mp3, and listen to them all repeatedly on my ipod. The excitement continues to build, but at the end of my little "playlist" all three series end together, which breaks my heart on a regular basis. So I decided that there is far too much left unsaid/undone/untaught, so i have begun writing my own spinoff, bringing atlantis and destiny together (eventually) and to the best of my ability, answering the questions left by syfy and mgm's betrayal. As far as your "3 shuttles" question? well it ties into another one I haven't found on this site; if Destiny has been flying unmanned for millions of years, why were the co2 scrubbers so nasty when they boarded her. If no one had ever breathed on the ship before, why was life support effected at all? My answer? In my world, a small contingent left atlantis, (the only place with a strong enough power source that long ago) and spent some time on destiny, most likely ended up shuttling to a habitable planet, where they stayed. I also wonder if maybe an intergalactic gate was set up in each galaxy, or if it needs to be specially built. Also, the gates are superconductive due to the naquadah they are made of, but the gates the seed ships carry are only powerful enough to reach a few gates at a time. Not naquadah? Maybe a DHD provides support...

Energizer_Vs_ZPM
July 1st, 2013, 06:25 AM
they didnt have any matter transporters at that time

Whats a stargate then? If they can build a stargate that transports matter from one solar system to another you can be sure they could transport matter shorter distances - like from one ship to another.

As for the 3rd docking platform, I'd say it's a spare. No good having 3 shuttles if one of the sets of clamps fails so it would be more sensible to have 2 shuttles and a spare docking port.

garhkal
July 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM
if Destiny has been flying unmanned for millions of years, why were the co2 scrubbers so nasty when they boarded her. If no one had ever breathed on the ship before, why was life support effected at all?

Perhaps they were not fully off?