Enterprise- "Daedalus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise- "Daedalus"

Yay, new episodes finally starting to air. I still say it would have been better to start off with something more... significant, but this was a nice ep overall, so I can't complain too much.

So, this is the first non-multi-part story for six eps now, which is really a welcome change. Not that I didn't like the Augments/Vulcan arcs, but I was starting to feel like we needed to take a break from that kinda storytelling, so this was a good idea.

One of the great things about this season is that they're actually bothering to expand on what we know about Archer. And we're focusing on his past, rather than constantly trying to "affect him" with something happening right now, or something that hasn't even happened yet at all. "Daedalus" serves to tell us more about his relationship with his father, and shows us members of his extended family. It all serves to make for a character that's easier for me to actually care about- cuz I know more of where he comes from, not just where he's going.

The idea to reveal the creator of the Transporter is another nice way of fulfilling the idea of ENT being a prequel, while not feeling overly name-droppy.

Unfortunately, I have to say I wasn't completely sold on the performance of the guy playing Dr. Erickson. He just... didn't have it, to me. His daughter was passable.

Anyway, it's also nice to have an episode where no one is blasting the hell out of anyone else... The exploding wall scene doesn't really count- no one was actually trying to hurt anybody. Once upon a time, the danger came from a lot of different sources, not just the evil bad guy and his guy, so it's ncie to have an ep that does that- and in a pretty cool way too, with Erickson's son half-there, floating around the ship. Sweet!

So, um, fans of the T'Pol/Trip romance take note here as well. This ep makes it look like it's over between them... I doubt it. It was nice to hear them discussing T'Pol's Penar Syndrome again, and explaining that things on Vulcan are starting to change. I had a sick fear that they weren't going to do that. I do, however, question how T'Pol could have gotten ahold of copies from the Kir'Shara, when T'Pau said that it would take years to translate it all... Exactly how much material could she have with her???

The ep ended pretty much how I expected it to. Erickson comes aboard to do a very shady thing, and despite his determination, he fails miserably and his son dies in his arms. Too bad for him. The interesting part came with Archer wrestling with what to do after finding out about his true plan, and going along with it. I LOVED the argument between Archer and Trip. Good stuff.

So, all in all, a good story. Not too crazy about the guest actors. And Hoshi and Travis are again mysteriously absent, except for one establishing shot which I honestly think was just pulled from some other episode or something. I give this ep a B-. Unfortunately, the promo for this week's ep doesn't make it look that much better. Win some, lose some.

yeah the arguement between Archer & Trip was entertaining.
    http://bickenland.lonaf.com/phpBB2/index.php

This is a sig, have a nice day.

Comment

The story was fairly predictable. It was entertaining, but it could have been better. For once why can't they have a happy ending? Why couldn't Quinn have lived?! Must they kill off everyone? Also, Danica....was she even needed other than being a wheelchair pusher?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

This episode was terribly boring and Enterprise really needs to bring in the secondary characters. Was Reed, Sato, or Mayweather even in this episode?

Comment

not that im aware of, but i missed a good part of the episode.

Comment

Last night's 'Enterprise' was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world

Comment

This was an interesting, character oriented episode. Some parts reminded me of "The Ultimate Comptuer" from the original Star Trek series. I wonder if that was intended...

Now, I personally think this wasn't the best episode, but it also wasn't the worst. It was okay; floating somewhere in between, like Quinn, who unfortunately couldn't be saved.

While Archer's character got some more development, as we learn a bit more about his past, I certainly agree that some characters do seem to disapear every once in a while. I think Hoshi and Travis were just seen once, when the camera paned over them to at least acknowledge that they're there. Well, what can I say... I understand that it's hard for the writers to include all of the characters, but I do hope that there'll be more development eventually.

You can tell that this was a "bottle show", an episode designed to save some money after all the big episodes. And I think within those limitations it was told pretty well.
              Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Filipino
                Last night's 'Enterprise' was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world
                you must not have seen anything from Seasons 1-3

Comment

This episode was just....there. I don't know. I found it to be very predictable and very boring. I didn't hate it, nor did I love it. But then I watched the first two episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and those two episodes were greater than all of Enterprise combined. Seriously, ENT is nothing compared to BG. I mean, in the two episodes I've seen plus the miniseries, recurring characters have been given more attention than Hoshi or May-I-Please-Get-A-Line have ever gotten. This season of ENT has been leaps and bounds better than the first two seasons, but that's still squat when compared to BG. I'm sorry if this is coming off as me bashing ENT and gushing over BG needlessly, but I've been putting up with ENT's below average stories,acting, and visual effects for so long that Battlestar is like some holy angel that has descended from heaven to save me from ENT's mediocrity.
                  MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

No matter how much I watch Enterprise, the new episodes never entertain me as much as re-runs of DS9.

Comment

I do believe an episode of Enterprise dealing with the use of toilets on the bridge would be more entertaining and garner higher ratings. Give me Stargate any day.

Comment

That's because SG1/SGA has so much humor inside the nooks and crannies of scifi. ST:E is just 'LETS BE SERIOUS ALL THE TIME!!!!!!' It just doesn't work that way sometimes.

O'Niell: We walk through the gate. The bad guys catch us. We get out of trouble. We come back home.

does that beat:

Archer: Lets go! NOW! I'm a whinny *****!

I love Scott Bakula....but man is his character whinny this season....

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor
                          Yay, new episodes finally starting to air. I still say it would have been better to start off with something more... significant, but this was a nice ep overall, so I can't complain too much.

So, this is the first non-multi-part story for six eps now, which is really a welcome change. Not that I didn't like the Augments/Vulcan arcs, but I was starting to feel like we needed to take a break from that kinda storytelling, so this was a good idea.

One of the great things about this season is that they're actually bothering to expand on what we know about Archer. And we're focusing on his past, rather than constantly trying to "affect him" with something happening right now, or something that hasn't even happened yet at all. "Daedalus" serves to tell us more about his relationship with his father, and shows us members of his extended family. It all serves to make for a character that's easier for me to actually care about- cuz I know more of where he comes from, not just where he's going.

The idea to reveal the creator of the Transporter is another nice way of fulfilling the idea of ENT being a prequel, while not feeling overly name-droppy.

Unfortunately, I have to say I wasn't completely sold on the performance of the guy playing Dr. Erickson. He just... didn't have it, to me. His daughter was passable.

Anyway, it's also nice to have an episode where no one is blasting the hell out of anyone else... The exploding wall scene doesn't really count- no one was actually trying to hurt anybody. Once upon a time, the danger came from a lot of different sources, not just the evil bad guy and his guy, so it's ncie to have an ep that does that- and in a pretty cool way too, with Erickson's son half-there, floating around the ship. Sweet!

So, um, fans of the T'Pol/Trip romance take note here as well. This ep makes it look like it's over between them... I doubt it. It was nice to hear them discussing T'Pol's Penar Syndrome again, and explaining that things on Vulcan are starting to change. I had a sick fear that they weren't going to do that. I do, however, question how T'Pol could have gotten ahold of copies from the Kir'Shara, when T'Pau said that it would take years to translate it all... Exactly how much material could she have with her???

The ep ended pretty much how I expected it to. Erickson comes aboard to do a very shady thing, and despite his determination, he fails miserably and his son dies in his arms. Too bad for him. The interesting part came with Archer wrestling with what to do after finding out about his true plan, and going along with it. I LOVED the argument between Archer and Trip. Good stuff.

So, all in all, a good story. Not too crazy about the guest actors. And Hoshi and Travis are again mysteriously absent, except for one establishing shot which I honestly think was just pulled from some other episode or something. I give this ep a B-. Unfortunately, the promo for this week's ep doesn't make it look that much better. Win some, lose some.
                          This episode was simply okay. I was looking forward to new episodes, but was disappointed in Daedalus; it was boring and kinda stupid IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mayorbill11
                            No matter how much I watch Enterprise, the new episodes never entertain me as much as re-runs of DS9.
                            Wow, you might need to expand your horizons more. DS9 was awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                              This episode was just....there. I don't know. I found it to be very predictable and very boring. I didn't hate it, nor did I love it. But then I watched the first two episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and those two episodes were greater than all of Enterprise combined. Seriously, ENT is nothing compared to BG. I mean, in the two episodes I've seen plus the miniseries, recurring characters have been given more attention than Hoshi or May-I-Please-Get-A-Line have ever gotten. This season of ENT has been leaps and bounds better than the first two seasons, but that's still squat when compared to BG. I'm sorry if this is coming off as me bashing ENT and gushing over BG needlessly, but I've been putting up with ENT's below average stories,acting, and visual effects for so long that Battlestar is like some holy angel that has descended from heaven to save me from ENT's mediocrity.
                              The two new BG episodes were okay. I am sick and tired of seeing that stupid Cylon witch "talk" to Dr. Baltar, however. It's stupid. Also, how can Boomer not know she's Cylon? I dunno; it's tedious and I might learn to like it, but so far, I'm not impressed. Enterprise is redeeming itself IMO, but Friday's episode sucked and it better get back to interesting episodes or it will lose out.

Comment

Working...
                              X