PDA

View Full Version : Kino Recordings

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
How does Eli plug his laptop to grab the Kino feed? Wouldn't he also have to have a knowledge of low-level coding in ancient to gain access assuming he's using a USB? If that's the case, why didn't he ever try coding a program to control Destiny like Rush *said* he did?

AquaGamer53
November 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Eli probably had some help from the other scientists, and he learned rudimentary ancient from that MMO he was playing back in Air Part 1. From there, it looks like he has been learning on the fly.

Also, if they all believed that Rush was creating that program so Eli was working on other things and Rush made sure to not have anybody look at his work when he was "working" on it.

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Eli probably had some help from the other scientists, and he learned rudimentary ancient from that MMO he was playing back in Air Part 1. From there, it looks like he has been learning on the fly.

Also, if they all believed that Rush was creating that program so Eli was working on other things and Rush made sure to not have anybody look at his work when he was "working" on it.

Perhaps, but how'd he plug the computer in? :P

Also, they all found out about this (likely) fake program Rush was creating in "The Greater Good", so there was no reason for Eli not to be working on such software.

AquaGamer53
November 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM
True, but since "The Greater Good"

they have had to deal with Simeon and the Zombie Shuttle.

So he might be working on it, but he was also working on the dialing within a star program, so he has a lot to do methinks.

The Destiny must have a wireless network? I forget does Eli have a Mac or PC?
"This computer is connected to Kino 1"? :D
Otherwise, they have been able to interface with Ancient tech at least since Atlantis.

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM

So he might be working on it, but he was also working on the dialing within a star program, so he has a lot to do methinks.

Otherwise, they have been able to interface with Ancient tech at least since Atlantis.

Eli has a PC, I guess that makes sense seeing as he is a gamer. Not sure where he actually got his laptop from though, haha. I never saw him bring one on board.

I haven't seen SG-1 or Atlantis, but I plan to do so over the break, or at least watch some of SG-1.

AquaGamer53
November 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Eli has a PC, I guess that makes sense seeing as he is a gamer. Not sure where he actually got his laptop from though, haha. I never saw him bring one on board.

I haven't seen SG-1 or Atlantis, but I plan to do so over the break, or at least watch some of SG-1.

I had only seen random episodes before SGU started and found gateworld when I found this:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/

A lot of people on a lot of different sites had their own opinions on the order they should be watched, but I found Gateworld's guide the most helpful.

Greenfire32
November 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I haven't seen SG-1 or Atlantis:eek:

but I plan to do so over the break:D

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I had only seen random episodes before SGU started and found gateworld when I found this:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/

A lot of people on a lot of different sites had their own opinions on the order they should be watched, but I found Gateworld's guide the most helpful.

Thanks for that link, that actually helps out a lot :D

:eek:
:D

;)

morbosfist
November 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
To the question at hand, Eli got his laptop from the supplies they brought with them, presumably, and the SGC has spent years learning how to interface their tech with virtually any alien system.

escyos
November 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
They have ways to connect their computers to ancient ones and then just copy it across.

maybe they made wireless units and connected them to the ancient computers so they can access it anywhere.

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
To the question at hand, Eli got his laptop from the supplies they brought with them, presumably, and the SGC has spent years learning how to interface their tech with virtually any alien system.

Fair enough. I didn't know that, re. SGC's knowledge. I'm still new to the SG world :P

They have ways to connect their computers to ancient ones and then just copy it across.

maybe they made wireless units and connected them to the ancient computers so they can access it anywhere.

Maybe, but I'd imagine that would still be difficult to get the correct frequency, etc.

JoseP927
November 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Eli mentioned "iMovie" so I am assuming it's a Mac.

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Eli mentioned "iMovie" so I am assuming it's a Mac.

I've never seen a mac with such casing, haha. Perhaps he's running a cracked version of OS X.

JosephGracey
November 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
How does Eli plug his laptop to grab the Kino feed? Wouldn't he also have to have a knowledge of low-level coding in ancient to gain access assuming he's using a USB? If that's the case, why didn't he ever try coding a program to control Destiny like Rush *said* he did?

didnt you ask this in the other thread :)?

General Jumper One
November 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Magnets!:eek:!

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
didnt you ask this in the other thread :)?

I created a thread after I posted on the other thread because I thought it was getting off topic xP

Greenfire32
November 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I've never seen a mac with such casing, haha. Perhaps he's running a cracked version of OS X.

Well, assuming the laptop was specially built to interface with alien tech, I'd say it's a pretty normal "SGC" kind of look. I like to think that the SGC uses Macs anyway. Especially when: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AziH7yJlbE

Mozzza
November 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Well, assuming the laptop was specially built to interface with alien tech, I'd say it's a pretty normal "SGC" kind of look. I like to think that the SGC uses Macs anyway. Especially when: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AziH7yJlbE

Ahahahaha!
Who knows? Maybe.

garhkal
November 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Yup. Both carter and Mccay are used to connecting laptops to ancient terminals..

escyos
November 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Fair enough. I didn't know that, re. SGC's knowledge. I'm still new to the SG world :P

Maybe, but I'd imagine that would still be difficult to get the correct frequency, etc.

so those 13 years of leanring how to interface their computers with aliens ones and suddenyl some old tech is beyond them?

Mozzza
November 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
so those 13 years of leanring how to interface their computers with aliens ones and suddenyl some old tech is beyond them?

No, engineering a device on the ship without many supplies is difficult.

Greenfire32
December 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM

Ever tried plugging an HDMI cable into an RCA slot? Ever tried to watch a VHS through a DVD player? Ever tried to use a floppy disk in Modern-day computers.

We've figured out "Modern" Ancient tech and as such we have the proper hook-ups for it. The "Ancient" Ancient tech is different. We don't have the hook ups for it. The OP's Question is valid.

morbosfist
December 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
As long as Destiny's tech is vaguely similar to modern Ancient tech, they could devise a link with relative ease.

Greenfire32
December 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
As long as Destiny's tech is vaguely similar to modern Ancient tech, they could devise a link with relative ease.

With the vast quantity of resources at their disposal? They brought hardly anything through the gate, remember?

They have neither the specs, materials, nor tools to replicate anything as of right now.

morbosfist
December 2nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
With the vast quantity of resources at their disposal? They brought hardly anything through the gate, remember?

They have neither the specs, materials, nor tools to replicate anything as of right now.They brought most of the expedition supplies, including a fair portion of the technical equipment. That is all they would need to do the job. Worst case scenario they have to hotwire something.

Mozzza
December 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
They brought most of the expedition supplies, including a fair portion of the technical equipment. That is all they would need to do the job. Worst case scenario they have to hotwire something.

Not to mention all the low level coding which wouldn't be easy at all.

morbosfist
December 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Not to mention all the low level coding which wouldn't be easy at all.Yeah, but that part is practically taken care of already. The system is already Ancient in design. Older operating system, sure, but if they can interface their computers with vastly different tech on the fly, they must have rigged up something to smooth that over.

Greenfire32
December 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
They brought most of the expedition supplies, including a fair portion of the technical equipment.

You'll excuse me if I disagree and recommend a re-watch of Air part 1.

Worst case scenario they have to hotwire something.

I think it'd be a little more complicated than that. Somehow, I don't think splicing a USB cord with an Ancient connector end would work. That's kind of like using my laptop power cord to connect to the internet.

morbosfist
December 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
You'll excuse me if I disagree and recommend a re-watch of Air part 1.

I think it'd be a little more complicated than that. Somehow, I don't think splicing a USB cord with an Ancient connector end would work. That's kind of like using my laptop power cord to connect to the internet.They brought enough supplies along to have several laptops and Riley was able to modify the hot plate to charge Earth tech. I'd say they have the tools.

Greenfire32
December 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
They brought enough supplies along to have several laptops and Riley was able to modify the hot plate to charge Earth tech. I'd say they have the tools.

Laptops don't mean you can build a physical contraption to connect Ancient tech to Earth tech. Build me a mouse that can be used on my computer using only a laptop. It can't be done.

As for the charging plate, I'm fairly positive he just dialed back the rate at which items are charged. Allowing for Earth tech to be used on the plate.

Mozzza
December 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
They brought enough supplies along to have several laptops and Riley was able to modify the hot plate to charge Earth tech. I'd say they have the tools.

But a charging plate is far less complicated than a USB and a transfer program between a system you don't understand. I can't imagine them doing low-level coding when they can't access the ships main controls, it doesn't make any sense. Eli didn't have a full understanding of Ancient, and even if he did, why didn't they just go in and tinker the master code?

From a coders perspective, there is a hole in the story here.

This isn't to mention that he'd have to have the correct ancient codecs to play back the video converted into our binary computing systems and what not.

morbosfist
December 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
There's a point when you have to consider you're thinking too hard about this. Carter managed to upload a video into a holographic projector using a couple of wires and a frequency modulator. The Atlantis personnel had their computers wired into brand-new Ancient tech within a day. Clearly, alien technology is either really user friendly or they've developed technology that can quickly and easily interface with almost any system.

If they can do these things, is it really so hard to accept that this crew could wire a laptop into an Ancient computer, no matter how outdated?

Mozzza
December 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
There's a point when you have to consider you're thinking too hard about this. Carter managed to upload a video into a holographic projector using a couple of wires and a frequency modulator. The Atlantis personnel had their computers wired into brand-new Ancient tech within a day. Clearly, alien technology is either really user friendly or they've developed technology that can quickly and easily interface with almost any system.

If they can do these things, is it really so hard to accept that this crew could wire a laptop into an Ancient computer, no matter how outdated?

Yes, it is hard to believe from a coders perspective. Even with what you said about Atlantis, that makes that episode also hard to believe. Sorry, I just can't take that as the final answer xP. I know it doesn't really matter overall, but as a coder, to me it does.

morbosfist
December 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yes, it is hard to believe from a coders perspective. Even with what you said about Atlantis, that makes that episode also hard to believe. Sorry, I just can't take that as the final answer xP. I know it doesn't really matter overall, but as a coder, to me it does.That much I can agree with. Realistically, they shouldn't be able to do it. But, some things just get glossed over in fiction, and this happens to be one of them.

Greenfire32
December 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM

Touché

Mozzza
December 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
That much I can agree with. Realistically, they shouldn't be able to do it. But, some things just get glossed over in fiction, and this happens to be one of them.

I'm probably just overly picky :P

sgc
December 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM

The on-screen keyboard on McKay's tablet in the episode where he submerged the jumper and was sinking was clearly Windows XP. He even made a note of how hard it was to use, which is why they should have the docking stations with them when going in a jumper :P. The Motion slate tablets that they use are Windows XP-based (I wonder why? 7 is better with touch and tablet, but it was before 7).

Greenfire32
December 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The on-screen keyboard on McKay's tablet in the episode where he submerged the jumper and was sinking was clearly Windows XP. He even made a note of how hard it was to use

And we always wondered why the jumper suddenly crashed. I guess we now have the answer lol

sgc
December 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
And we always wondered why the jumper suddenly crashed. I guess we now have the answer lol

:D nice.

Wasn't it actually because it was being test-run after being shot down?

Greenfire32
December 8th, 2010, 06:57 AM
:D nice.

Wasn't it actually because it was being test-run after being shot down?

Yeah. But the Italian Tomato-guy said, "If anything was going to wrong it would have by now."

And then the jumper crashed. For apparently no reason at all.

We can safely assume that it was related to being shot down previously, but I like to think that Windows crashes jumpers lol

sgc
December 8th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah. But the Italian Tomato-guy said, "If anything was going to wrong it would have by now."

And then the jumper crashed. For apparently no reason at all.

We can safely assume that it was related to being shot down previously, but I like to think that Windows crashes jumpers lol

It ran Linux :P. I am an avid PC user, though, so I like to think that it's not Windows.

EDIT: I don't have anything against Apple Macintosh or Macintosh users.