Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the planet building aliens really that amazing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the planet building aliens really that amazing?

They temporarily reanimated those people.... something that we've seen on Stargate many times before. Hell, their 'reanimation' was no where near as powerful as the telchak device or even a sarcophagus! Therefore, the Goa'uld and Ancients have superior revival skills.

The Ancients created a flying city, seeded several galaxies with life and created low-cost interstellar Stargate networks.... I don't think building a planet, dropping off a ship or reanimating the dead for a short period of times are that incredible - in the context of the Stargate canon.

That said, I think it's quite clear at this point that the aliens are interested in either Destiny's crew or its Destiny's mission - which leads me to question whether we may have already seen the "planet building" aliens before, hence the need for secrecy when it came to wiping their memories....

I agree completely. When the Asgard tried to trap the replicators with a time-dilation field, the replicators figured out how to reverse the field so time on the planet was accelerated. That's all the planet-building aliens would need to do to create a planet with a fully-formed ecosystem in a short time.

Transporting something (like a shuttle) across great distances instantly? Well, we do that every day with our, uh, Stargate. In Enemy at the Gates they figured out how to do it with Atlantis (Wormhole drive, wasn't quite instantaneous but close enough).

Seems to me like these aliens just watched the other shows and said "Hey, I bet we could do something like that."

Comment

Originally posted by thenimf View Post
      They temporarily reanimated those people.... something that we've seen on Stargate many times before. Hell, their 'reanimation' was no where near as powerful as the telchak device or even a sarcophagus! Therefore, the Goa'uld and Ancients have superior revival skills.
      Technically, they didn't just build a planet; they built an entire solar system, which is alot more complicated.
      And the Goa'uld healing technology was pretty much a fancy looking copy of Ancient tech so that doesn't really prove much.

That said, I think it's quite clear at this point that the aliens are interested in either Destiny's crew or its Destiny's mission - which leads me to question whether we may have already seen the "planet building" aliens before, hence the need for secrecy when it came to wiping their memories....
      According to Mallozzi, it's not a race we've previously encountered (i.e, Ancients or Furlings).

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
      Transporting something (like a shuttle) across great distances instantly? Well, we do that every day with our, uh, Stargate. In Enemy at the Gates they figured out how to do it with Atlantis (Wormhole drive, wasn't quite instantaneous but close enough).
      At the very least, they've mastered a technology that the Ancients couldn't get to work. Which means they're at least as powerful as the Ancients; but they're actually still here as opposed to the Ancients who are as good as gone to us. So there's the potential for us to get something from them like maybe a way home...

Comment

I think "temporarily reanimated those people" is really what the Planet builder were intended in the first place.Playing God is not something even the ascended Anciented wants to do.

Val had die before the winter, Peter lost hope first, leaving in the middle of the night and the rest die later on.
        Val and Peter had been dead like for over a few weeks , their decomposing body can not be revive even with a sarcophagus or Ancient Telchak device. In a way it prove the Planet builder were in some way much more powerful than "Ancient".

The Replicator can revive people by replicating memories and body atom by atom, but are the Organic Replicant really the same person?or just a copy.

The Tok'r believe sarcophagus kills the soul , that why they refuse to use it even if it mean extinction.

The Planet builder repair the people like they repair the shuttle , make it brand new, but may be they never had encounter human , so they only repair dead crew like they repair the machine and send them back to Destiny.

Or the Planet builder doesn't want to play god and interfere with fate. and just give them a chance to die with their own people.

Or the Planet Builder 's reanimation is perfect in some some way , because it the people they re-animated are real , they stay as same people as they were because they die in the same way.And some people consider life is only life with it's natural death.To cheat one's natural death is not life at all .

Who is to say Planet builder's way of temporarily reanimated people are inferior to the Ancient telchak device and Goa'uld sarcophagus.

Comment

I doubt we're going to get a "way home" from the aliens. For one thing, the show, or at least the show as we know it, would be over, since most of the characters would want to go back to Earth.

What I hope is that the writers don't just pull the Planet Builders out every time they need to fill in a plot hole.

Comment

I doubt we're going to get a "way home" from the aliens. For one thing, the show, or at least the show as we know it, would be over, since most of the characters would want to go back to Earth.
            How would the people on Destiny possibly know that though? Unless you're suggesting that they're aware that they're in a tv show...

Comment

I meant that the show's writers wouldn't do that. Sort of like how, at the end of the last season, you know the Lucian Alliance won't kill all the major characters and take the ship, because then we wouldn't have a show any more.

Comment

I meant that the show's writers wouldn't do that. Sort of like how, at the end of the last season, you know the Lucian Alliance won't kill all the major characters and take the ship, because then we wouldn't have a show any more.
                Isn't that true for almost any book, movie, or tv show though? Did you honestly think that our Earth was ever going to be conquered or destroyed throughout the franchise?

Comment

I think that the returned crew members were delivered to send a message- that the Destiny crew shouldn't try to settle down. The crew members died the same deaths over again to show the crew what would happen if they gave up on the mission of the Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
                    Technically, they didn't just build a planet; they built an entire solar system, which is alot more complicated.
                    And the Goa'uld healing technology was pretty much a fancy looking copy of Ancient tech so that doesn't really prove much.
                    1.: What does this have to do with inferior reanimation tech? Herbert West has superior reanimation skills
                    2.: What Ancient tech does the sarcophagus copy? I've seen DNA re-sequencers and psychic powers sure, but not "healing tech"

Originally posted by tinerin
                    According to Mallozzi, it's not a race we've previously encountered (i.e, Ancients or Furlings).
                    Fine

Originally posted by tinerin
                    At the very least, they've mastered a technology that the Ancients couldn't get to work. Which means they're at least as powerful as the Ancients; but they're actually still here as opposed to the Ancients who are as good as gone to us. So there's the potential for us to get something from them like maybe a way home...
                    Huh??
                    They may have mastered a tech the alteraans never did, but not the ascended ancients. As for them still "being around", err Huh?

"I'll take ascended ancients for $200 Bob"
                    "OK then, I interfere with lower beings and help them to ascend"
                    BZZZZ
                    "Who is Omma de Salla"
                    "Correct"

"Ascended ancients for $500 Bob"
                    "OK then, I directly interfered with the life of a lower plane by restoring Teal'c to life"
                    BZZZZ
                    "Who is Morgan La Fey"

Get my drift.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The Ancients created a flying city, seeded several galaxies with life and created low-cost interstellar Stargate networks.... I don't think building a planet, dropping off a ship or reanimating the dead for a short period of times are that incredible - in the context of the Stargate canon.

Regarding the revival of the bodies, from the Kino most of them were long dead before the bright light showed up. And when they had their physical examination on Destiny they were in perfect health, including the girl that got crushed by a tree and probably buried somewhere. So with that information, it is plausible to say they were rematerialised from thin air without their original bodies. Like clones with no souls. And these clones then died on Destiny on purpose to send a message, not because the technology was inferior.

Comment

Isn't that true for almost any book, movie, or tv show though?
                        Exactly my point. SGU has killed off a couple of "main" characters (Riley, for example) so there is still a feeling of peril, but I'm absolutely sure that Eli, Chloe, Scott, Young, Rush, and a few others are going to survive no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          2.: What Ancient tech does the sarcophagus copy? I've seen DNA re-sequencers and psychic powers sure, but not "healing tech"
                          The cube thing Daniel and Dr. Lee found in South America was Ancient tech, and it's what the sarcophagus is based on.

Comment

Tel'chak (a Goa'uld) created the first sarcophagus by copying an Ancient healing device he found. It later turned some crazy South American kidnappers into zombies...

They may have mastered a tech the alteraans never did, but not the ascended ancients.
                            What's your point here? They're technology is amazing; definitely surpassing any technology we've encountered before...and since it's presumably technology and not magical ascended powers, it's something that we could theoretically use and replicate if they taught us.

As for them still "being around", err Huh?
                            They gave us a shuttle and our people back at least temporarily, so they're still around in some form and interacting with us in some way, unlike the Ancients.

I'm not sure what your point is. You're comparing ascended beings (which presumably comes with all the knowledge of the universe or something like that) with what we are assuming are non-ascended beings.

Comment

I'm not sure what your point is. You're comparing ascended beings (which presumably comes with all the knowledge of the universe or something like that) with what we are assuming are non-ascended beings.
                              I think Gatefan's point is that the (ascended) Ancients interacted with us, Oma helped Daniel ascend a couple times and Morgan helped us defeat the Ori, which is a pretty big interaction... way more impressive than just temporarily reanimating a shuttle full of people. So the Ancients are still around, just not in physical bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X