Butter Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butter Bar

my understanding has been "Butter Bar" was a sec LT. Never the first. Greer would never address a fist Lt. that way. I thought Scott was a 1st and James was a second?

you are correct

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
      you are correct
      Thought so, oh well...besides that; it was well suited.

Comment

Originally posted by kamae View Post
        my understanding has been "Butter Bar" was a sec LT. Never the first. Greer would never address a fist Lt. that way. I thought Scott was a 1st and James was a second?
        Regardless, I think he was just pointing out that Scott is very inexperienced compared to Greer. Scott may never have had to learn to trust the opinions of people who he technically outranks given their broader experience. It may not have been technically correct, but Scott has been thrust into a position of more importance and command given their situation than he would otherwise. The division between the CO and the second in command is pretty big on Destiny (Colonel-->First LT) That's a lot of missing ranks and maturity. I think he was trying to shock Scott into listening to him since Chloe could possibly go ape**** and tear him apart when he is alone with her in there. They have no idea what it is doing to her, she could be much stronger and faster than before and Scott shouldn't be taking the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
          Regardless, I think he was just pointing out that Scott is very inexperienced compared to Greer. Scott may never have had to learn to trust the opinions of people who he technically outranks given their broader experience. It may not have been technically correct, but Scott has been thrust into a position of more importance and command given their situation than he would otherwise. The division between the CO and the second in command is pretty big on Destiny (Colonel-->First LT) That's a lot of missing ranks and maturity. I think he was trying to shock Scott into listening to him since Chloe could possibly go ape**** and tear him apart when he is alone with her in there. They have no idea what it is doing to her, she could be much stronger and faster than before and Scott shouldn't be taking the risk.
          That is pretty funny; I agree and within the same convo him stating he prays for Chloe, next segment he goes to Chloe asking for forgiveness highlights that.
          Last edited by kamae; 24 November 2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

It's slang for an inexperienced second Lt. But as it's slang it doesn’t have to have an exact definition, and it fits for the description of Scott, being a junior officers in way over his head.

And it being slang Greer isn’t supposed to address a Lt, either 1st or 2nd that way. However his close friendship with Scott let him get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
              It's slang for an inexperienced second Lt. But as it's slang it doesn’t have to have an exact definition, and it fits for the description of Scott, being a junior officers in way over his head.

And it being slang Greer isn’t supposed to address a Lt, either 1st or 2nd that way. However his close friendship with Scott let him get away with it.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kamae View Post
                For those who didn't serve in the military, the rank of 2nd Lieutenant is noted with a single Bronze colored bar, which looks kinda like a bar of butter actually. a 1st lietenant is a single bar but it's silver.

Thus the comment "butter" bar.

Comment

just for reference... I was wrong about airforce rank. it's two bars.

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/Productim...ature-7897.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cheezegr8r View Post
                    just for reference... I was wrong about airforce rank. it's two bars.

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/Productim...ature-7897.jpg
                    It is? All the sites I checked showed it as a single silver bar. Including wiki
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._rank_insignia
                    and this one
                    http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/rank6.shtml

Comment

Considering how Greer feels about the chain of command I'm surprised Scott didn't get him to snap to attention and order him to bash his head against a wall for a few hours.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        Considering how Greer feels about the chain of command I'm surprised Scott didn't get him to snap to attention and order him to bash his head against a wall for a few hours.
                        LOL, remember he did buck Telford

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          it's sad that scott outranks greer. it should be the other way around
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                            it's sad that scott outranks greer. it should be the other way around
                            Most NCOs ranked staff sergeant and above usually have far more experience than the more green junior officers. But as green as they are, they are still command level officers. In the end, you obey and salute the rank, not the man.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                              Most NCOs ranked staff sergeant and above usually have far more experience than the more green junior officers. But as green as they are, they are still command level officers. In the end, you obey and salute the rank, not the man.
                              i guess i just don't understand the whole rank thing.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X