PDA

View Full Version : Butter Bar

kamae
November 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
my understanding has been "Butter Bar" was a sec LT. Never the first. Greer would never address a fist Lt. that way. I thought Scott was a 1st and James was a second?

General Jumper One
November 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
you are correct

kamae
November 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
you are correct

Thought so, oh well...besides that; it was well suited.

Descended
November 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
my understanding has been "Butter Bar" was a sec LT. Never the first. Greer would never address a fist Lt. that way. I thought Scott was a 1st and James was a second?

Regardless, I think he was just pointing out that Scott is very inexperienced compared to Greer. Scott may never have had to learn to trust the opinions of people who he technically outranks given their broader experience. It may not have been technically correct, but Scott has been thrust into a position of more importance and command given their situation than he would otherwise. The division between the CO and the second in command is pretty big on Destiny (Colonel-->First LT) That's a lot of missing ranks and maturity. I think he was trying to shock Scott into listening to him since Chloe could possibly go ape**** and tear him apart when he is alone with her in there. They have no idea what it is doing to her, she could be much stronger and faster than before and Scott shouldn't be taking the risk.

kamae
November 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Regardless, I think he was just pointing out that Scott is very inexperienced compared to Greer. Scott may never have had to learn to trust the opinions of people who he technically outranks given their broader experience. It may not have been technically correct, but Scott has been thrust into a position of more importance and command given their situation than he would otherwise. The division between the CO and the second in command is pretty big on Destiny (Colonel-->First LT) That's a lot of missing ranks and maturity. I think he was trying to shock Scott into listening to him since Chloe could possibly go ape**** and tear him apart when he is alone with her in there. They have no idea what it is doing to her, she could be much stronger and faster than before and Scott shouldn't be taking the risk.

That is pretty funny; I agree and within the same convo him stating he prays for Chloe, next segment he goes to Chloe asking for forgiveness highlights that.

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
It's slang for an inexperienced second Lt. But as it's slang it doesn’t have to have an exact definition, and it fits for the description of Scott, being a junior officers in way over his head.

And it being slang Greer isn’t supposed to address a Lt, either 1st or 2nd that way. However his close friendship with Scott let him get away with it.

kamae
November 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
It's slang for an inexperienced second Lt. But as it's slang it doesn’t have to have an exact definition, and it fits for the description of Scott, being a junior officers in way over his head.

And it being slang Greer isn’t supposed to address a Lt, either 1st or 2nd that way. However his close friendship with Scott let him get away with it.

Thanks

cheezegr8r
November 24th, 2010, 05:05 PM

For those who didn't serve in the military, the rank of 2nd Lieutenant is noted with a single Bronze colored bar, which looks kinda like a bar of butter actually. a 1st lietenant is a single bar but it's silver.

Thus the comment "butter" bar.

cheezegr8r
November 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
just for reference... I was wrong about airforce rank. it's two bars.

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/Productimages/7092/small-u-air-force-2nd-lieutenant-rank-miniature-7897.jpg

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM
just for reference... I was wrong about airforce rank. it's two bars.

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/Productimages/7092/small-u-air-force-2nd-lieutenant-rank-miniature-7897.jpg
It is? All the sites I checked showed it as a single silver bar. Including wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_officer_rank_insignia
and this one
http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/rank6.shtml

P-90_177
November 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Considering how Greer feels about the chain of command I'm surprised Scott didn't get him to snap to attention and order him to bash his head against a wall for a few hours.

kamae
November 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Considering how Greer feels about the chain of command I'm surprised Scott didn't get him to snap to attention and order him to bash his head against a wall for a few hours.

LOL, remember he did buck Telford

Pharaoh Atem
November 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM

it's sad that scott outranks greer. it should be the other way around

Cold Fuzz
November 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM
it's sad that scott outranks greer. it should be the other way around

Most NCOs ranked staff sergeant and above usually have far more experience than the more green junior officers. But as green as they are, they are still command level officers. In the end, you obey and salute the rank, not the man. ;)

Pharaoh Atem
November 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Most NCOs ranked staff sergeant and above usually have far more experience than the more green junior officers. But as green as they are, they are still command level officers. In the end, you obey and salute the rank, not the man. ;)

i guess i just don't understand the whole rank thing.

jelgate
November 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM

It usually because the officers have some form of education while NCOs have can enlist out of high school. That said many military forum members have gone on a record to say a new lieutenant would be a fool not to listen to the Sgts. they command

Cold Fuzz
November 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Part of it is that they go through various officer training schools which is pretty freakin' strenuous physically as well as mentally. They're trained to lead. Officers strategize and give the orders while the NCOs and other enlisted men get it done. However, that doesn't mean enlisted men are chumps. A Master Sergeant or higher would have so much experience and respect that officers usually trust them to handle their staff sergeants as they see fit. This definitely isn't always the case though. With Greer though, Scott would be an absolute idiot to not listen to his advice on any tactical situation.

Edit: Officer training schools are the equivalent of college-level training and above.

pipi
November 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I personally had no idea of the slang's meaning so my first though was it had something to do with butter on your (man) bar. I'll let you imagine what that looks like. Anyway thanks for clearing that up. :)

The Swarm
November 25th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Well she does smack Greer into the wall in the next episode....im afraid to think what she can do if she realy wanted someone dead.

Wayston
November 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I personally had no idea of the slang's meaning so my first though was it had something to do with butter on your (man) bar. I'll let you imagine what that looks like. Anyway thanks for clearing that up. :)

I didn't know what it meant either, I thought it was either a military slang (not thinking about the colour of the bar but "as weak as butter") or slang referring to his hair colour (sorta like "carrot top").

garhkal
November 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I always thought Lt Scott was a O2 (or as we say in the navy, Lt junior grade, not an O1, or an Ensign).

General Jumper One
November 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I always thought Lt Scott was a O2 (or as we say in the navy, Lt junior grade, not an O1, or an Ensign).

no, he is a First Lt.

MattSilver 3k
November 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Anyone else disappointed that this wasn't an actual reference to a butter bar of some kind? I thought it was a fat joke at first, to be honest, or some kind of weird military insult.

pipi
November 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I watched South Park a couple of weeks ago about baking lemon bars, so I was like wtf is a butter bar?

escyos
November 26th, 2010, 10:57 PM
my theory is that Greer was actually calling him fat.