PDA

View Full Version : So, I guess he didn't...

CJ Master
November 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
...die?

Every other character left on the planet died, but the Kino shows that he was still alive when the bright flash of light happened.

Does this mean he's going to be back in the crew? Would be interesting.

jelgate
November 23rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
...die?

Every other character left on the planet died, but the Kino shows that he was still alive when the bright flash of light happened.

Does this mean he's going to be back in the crew? Would be interesting.
They left it kind of ambigous. He could or could not die on the Faith planet.

Pharaoh Atem
November 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I hope cains still around

the fifth man
November 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I kind of think he died before the aliens could really do anything. I doubt Cain will be back among the crew.

hedwig
November 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
I had the impression he was also dead, but reanimated, or whatever was done to bring them back to Destiny. I may have misunderstood something he said to TJ that suggested the body she was sitting with was more or less a shell without a soul, or at least that was my interpretation of what he was saying about himself.

(*must go back and watch that bit again ... though I was definitely sniffling and had tears in my eyes over that scene* - darn it, this is the first time in the series I've cried over a scene.*)

He did ask in the infirmary how much longer he had (after seeing that all his friends were dead), and TJ said she didn't know, but I had the impression it wasn't long.

J-Whitt Remastered
November 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
I kind of think he died before the aliens could really do anything. I doubt Cain will be back among the crew.

Yeah. I agree. I'm thinking that maybe the appearance of the light may have been too much for him in his weakened state. Who knows though?

morbosfist
November 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
He's probably dead, but there's just that little bit of hope at the end of the episode.

Either that or the aliens felt like torturing them for the lulz.

greenguywithlasereye
November 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
If Caine has skills or presence that turn out to be used in scenes in later episodes that relate to the faith planet/aliens later on in the season, hes got to live.

depends - im gonna go w/he lives. why not.

Utitan
November 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Well, he did say that he remembered that he is already dead.. Hence he remembers dieing.

AtlantisRules!!!
November 23rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
He was clearly alivei n that kino footage, which I would assume is the God-Aliens coming to "save" them. I think he's alive :P

General Jumper One
November 23rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
I think he is alive

Paladine
November 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
He's dead jim...

mere earthling
November 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
I think he's dead and he knew it. The flash at the end was the obelisk aliens possibly taking what Caine thought was his soul and moving him on.

PG15
November 23rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think he died. It would just feel kind of anticlimatic to have him appear again at the beginning of the next episode going "oh hey, I survived! Ok, now what's this week's problems on the good ole' Destiny?"

I think the aliens basically gave them a chance to see their friends again without interrupting what should be. Caine was going to die of hypothermia and exposure eventually anyway, and they didn't want to alter that, even if they decided to give them that chance before he actually passed on.

General Jumper One
November 23rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
He's dead jim...

He's dead Mister Spock...You green blooded Vulcan!!

rsanchez
November 23rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Why are we calling them god-aliens, when they can just as easily be ascended beings?

It's obvious these ascended beings have no contact with the network of ascended beings familiar to the Ancients, so they were really bored and decided to clone Cain and co. Some clones live in "Eden", some froze to death, and some died on Destiny. Think SG-1's "Gatekeeper", combined with Ba'al style cloning and some ascension flavor thrown in.

Vapor
November 23rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Well, for starters, we don't know that they're ascended. At least not by the same definition that the Ancients were.

They're an alien intelligence. That's all we know.

And honestly, I'd just prefer not to just assume that they're a form of life that we've already seen before, if we're on the opposite end of existence as we know it. I just would rather see something new than have them constantly bring back things we've known about for years.

James71
November 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
I think he lives. The Kino clearly showed him still alive when the flash happened. Everyone else died the second time with symptoms the same as their first death. So what would his symptoms be on his second death if he never died the first time?

stevilevi
November 24th, 2010, 12:36 AM
It may have been the flash that killed him (his soul moving on, that sort of thing) because he did say that the next time they drop out of FTL he'll be dead. I love that this ep left as much questions as Faith did.

thekillman
November 24th, 2010, 02:34 AM
i think he's dead. but not by natural causes.

i think that the shuttle was never transported. Caine clearly says he's reconstructed by the aliens. the shuttle is brand new. i think the Aliens destroyed the original shuttle, killing Caine quickly and painlessly, and then recreated one.

i'm not sure about the part "without a soul". i think the Aliens wanted to give them a last chance, and i think they wanted the Destiny Crew to know what had happened. their "second deaths" was just the Aliens reverting them to the state they were in.

adaminator1
November 24th, 2010, 02:37 AM
i think he's dead. but not by natural causes.

i think that the shuttle was never transported. Caine clearly says he's reconstructed by the aliens. the shuttle is brand new. i think the Aliens destroyed the original shuttle, killing Caine quickly and painlessly, and then recreated one.

Doesn't make sense since the Kino is there too, unless its recordings were copied too.

thekillman
November 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM
what i'm saying is that the Shuttle and all it's contents are newly created copies. INCLUDING the Kino and the Footage.

icsteffi
November 24th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I trust Caine's assessment of himself-that he is merely a shadow. What was the purpose of their being re-animated though? To say goodbye? No one could even stand to be around them, and their deaths just happened too quickly for any goodbyes. Strange episode.

Shai Hulud
November 24th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Why are we calling them god-aliens, when they can just as easily be ascended beings?

It's obvious these ascended beings have no contact with the network of ascended beings familiar to the Ancients, so they were really bored and decided to clone Cain and co. Some clones live in "Eden", some froze to death, and some died on Destiny. Think SG-1's "Gatekeeper", combined with Ba'al style cloning and some ascension flavor thrown in.

They arent 'god' aliens or ascended, they are the Magratheans.

ahdvd
November 24th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I get the idea that when the flash occured that Caine wasnt dead yet, but he was beyond the point of them being able to save him, so his body (reanimated or cloned) will revert to the point it was at to when the flash occured, at which point he will be beyond saving and eventually succumb to his injuries (organ damage most likely).

Gala
November 24th, 2010, 04:22 AM
They're definitely not *just* ascended, not the way we know the ancients to be. They can do things like manipulate nature, become invisible etc but as far as creating planets goes they just can't do that. Merlin had to de-ascend to the physical to research and create the anti-ori weapon. These beings are obviously much much more powerful. Possibly just a different type of life that has 'technologically' evolved.

I don't see how ascending any further unlocks the secrets to the universe but I would hazard a guess that they do indeed have something to do with this structure thing.

tomstone
November 24th, 2010, 06:11 AM
It could go either way, but there would be no point to the Episode if something wouldnt contribute to the main arc.

It is really done ambigously. All of them Died the same way they did on the Planet, and Caine was already Freezing to Death and he knew something was wrong with him. However he rememberd much more without dying than anyone else and there is also the Kino footage.

P.S: It seemed like Eli didnt leave a Kino or Remote behind since they couldnt really leave the Planet, so why is there a working Kino Recording right before the flash of light happens?

garhkal
November 24th, 2010, 06:11 AM

From watching it only once, it looked to me like the alien/light appeard just as he passed (eyes didn't move from what i saw)..

I trust Caine's assessment of himself-that he is merely a shadow. What was the purpose of their being re-animated though? To say goodbye? No one could even stand to be around them, and their deaths just happened too quickly for any goodbyes. Strange episode.

More than likely.. They died on a forgotten planet in the middle of nowhere, with no way to say goodbye to the ones who they were close too... I don;t know if the 'planet builders' could send them back to earth, so it did the closest thing to me, which was send them back to the ship..

zainea13
November 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Here is my theory. When the aliens reanimate his body they can't do anything for the soul. So the soul moved on, but since he never died completely he will never revert to death. Only to the poor state he was in and then he can come back from that poor state by being on the ship in good ehalth. Still without a soul. But not dead either. Some where in the ether!

blueintegraboy
November 24th, 2010, 06:22 AM
So, if everybody reverted back to their natural state... does that mean the shuttle will revert to be nonfunctional?

General Jumper One
November 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM
So, if everybody reverted back to their natural state... does that mean the shuttle will revert to be nonfunctional?

i think it should, but it probably won't

tar21
November 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM
He's alive. He mistook the white light for the white light some claim to see in near death experiences.

The aliens have medicine and technology beyond the scope humans seem to have experienced. He wasn't that bad. A Goa'uld could have saved him. Yeah, he was near death but these aliens could have easily put him under suspended animation and restored his cells and replaced damaged ones.

They reanimated a chick from near nothing. And they can't put some guy in a tank, shut off his brain, and the run nanites through his body to repair him?

Please.

In the Stargate "universe" we saw the Asgaard make a mockery of death. They prolonged their lives by cloning new bodies. DANIEL JACKSON came back from the DEAD!

OH LOOK! ANCIENTS! Ascension!

If Caine is dead, that is pure and utter BS! No reason why he shouldn't have been saved by the super aliens.

tomstone
November 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM
He's alive. He mistook the white light for the white light some claim to see in near death experiences.

The light was a Kino recording, not his memory.

thekillman
November 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
If Caine is dead, that is pure and utter BS! No reason why he shouldn't have been saved by the super aliens.

why would they? what reason do they have.

so far, it seems the Aliens only create an opportunity. an opportunity to stay on a planet. an opportunity to say goodbye. what we do is up to us. apparently digging around in their memories, is something that was bad.

it seems nobody was capable of handling their death but kane. ehm Caine :D.

i still have to see wheter he dies or not.

i personally think he did die, by the Aliens destroying the shuttle (white light) and replacing them and the shuttle and the kino with copies

tar21
November 24th, 2010, 02:22 PM
The fact that the kino recording showed the light means that the aliens got to Caine before he died. If it possible he mistook this white light for the white light many people claim to see during a near death experience.

He was hypothermic and even if he succumbed, his brain could go without oxygen for longer than a few minutes without suffering major damage. The aliens should have gotten to him quickly.

I think it's more likely that the Aliens scanned his mind, looked at the kino, combed the area for remains, and then pieced what they could together. They knew he was a unique lifeform and being alone sucked so they decided to resurrect his dead friends and send him to Destiny to be with others of his kind.

Wayston
November 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
it's kinda hard to argue when the guy says he remembers dying. of course people can think they're dying while they're just lapsing into a coma, but that's not how TV works...

basically a character says he's dead, everybody is getting the heeby jeebies around them = dead as disco

shantar
November 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM
He was hypothermic and even if he succumbed, his brain could go without oxygen for longer than a few minutes without suffering major damage. The aliens should have gotten to him quickly.

I agree. Even if Caine died before the aliens actually arrived there was still time for the aliens to save him. So he could have died but still survive.

I think his comment to TJ about feeling like he is a shadow of his former self goes more to his state of mind. When Peter was hypnotized he mentioned that Caine was stressed and upset. He seemed to realize that he was the reason that the people stayed on the planet and that in some way he was responsible for their fate. Being the last person alive and watching everyone around him die must have had a significant impact on Caine. And then there is the scene on the Kino showing that at the end Caine said he didn't want to die. This seems to show that his faith was shaken in some way. So Caine feeling that he is different could very well be a reflection of the loss of his faith/feelings of guilt rather than a true sign that he is in fact dead.

marty2006
November 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM
They seem to think it was a nice thing of the Aliens, but who wants to experience their death twice? It was just a cheap way to give us a shuttle back imo.

tinerin
November 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/november-24-2010-comic-haul-the-return-of-the-weird-food-purchase-of-the-day-snow-monkeys-go-for-their-sixth-win-eight-games/

Nathan writes: “The kind of aliens that would put people back with their friends and kind of family, knowing they’d just die. How horrible is that!?!?”

Answer: The aliens didn’t know they would just end up dying again. They assumed they had “fixed” them.

Valaur writes: “At the end of ‘Visitation’, we see that Kane in fact does live to tell the tale rather than die like his fellows. Or does he?”

Answer: He doesn’t.

rsanchez
November 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
They're definitely not *just* ascended, not the way we know the ancients to be. They can do things like manipulate nature, become invisible etc but as far as creating planets goes they just can't do that. Merlin had to de-ascend to the physical to research and create the anti-ori weapon. These beings are obviously much much more powerful. Possibly just a different type of life that has 'technologically' evolved.

I don't see how ascending any further unlocks the secrets to the universe but I would hazard a guess that they do indeed have something to do with this structure thing.

Wow, have you even watched any stargate before Universe? When Abydos was destroyed by Anubis, what was it that happened? Oh yeah, after repeatedly dialing Abydos, the SGC finally connects to the Abydos stargate and SG-1 finds everything as normal. Then Skaara tells them that Oma ascended all of Abydos's population, everything disappears except for the gate, and Skaara tells them that everything will disappear once they step through the gate. Everything, because Anubis utterly destroyed Abydos. This was just one ascended being that helped an entire population ascend and created a planet just to let SG-1 say goodbye (the other Ancients definitely won't help her do all of that, and the Abydosians, recently ascended, can't have that kind of knowledge).

One ancient did all of that. You can't tell me ascended beings are incapable of creating planets.

Heck, even creating a planet isn't that impressive. The Asgard could turn a star into a black hole for crying out loud.

P.S. Merlin only descended so he can conceal his work from his fellow ancients in a parallel dimension.

tinerin
November 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Wow, have you even watched any stargate before Universe? When Abydos was destroyed by Anubis, what was it that happened? Oh yeah, after repeatedly dialing Abydos, the SGC finally connects to the Abydos stargate and SG-1 finds everything as normal. Then Skaara tells them that Oma ascended all of Abydos's population, everything disappears except for the gate, and Skaara tells them that everything will disappear once they step through the gate. Everything, because Anubis utterly destroyed Abydos. This was just one ascended being that helped an entire population ascend and created a planet just to let SG-1 say goodbye (the other Ancients definitely won't help her do all of that, and the Abydosians, recently ascended, can't have tat kind of knowledge).

One ancient did all of that. You can't tell me ascended beings are incapable of creating planets.

Heck, even creating a planet isn't that impressive. The Asgard could turn a star into a black hole for crying out loud.

Not disagreeing with you about an ascended being's power here, but my impression from the episode was that Abydos wasn't completely destroyed, just the stargate and their little civilization; in which case Oma didn't really recreate much. But still, comparing an ascended being to an unascended being isn't a fair comparison in my opinion. And actually, we don't even know for sure that the planet builder's aren't ascended. Hell, maybe it was one of their planet builders babies who saw the little shuttle crash and put it back where it belonged, like you might have done with Legos as a kid, but made a mistake with restoring the crew (I'm not being serious here but still...)...

Mozzza
November 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
What you actually don't see in this episode is Eli standing in the background. He also killed Kane (or is it Caine?). :P

Infinite-Possibilities
November 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Kane lives in Death!

I mean uh... I think the implication is that Caine died on the planet, but the Kino just did a poor job of showing that. Probably due to production issues of some kind.

Mozzza
November 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Kane lives in Death!

I mean uh... I think the implication is that Caine died on the planet, but the Kino just did a poor job of showing that. Probably due to production issues of some kind.

Maybe, haha.

I don't know, I've just got this feeling that there's more to come, I don't feel like this storyline is over. It seems too short of a story to dedicate two episodes to.

Mainer82
November 30th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I think he died, as he was going through the process at the end of the episode. He was cold for no apparent reason. It's pretty clear that he is dead.