PDA

View Full Version : Destiny's Construction

Aesop
November 19th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Has anybody else gotten the impression that the age in the Ancient's history when Destiny was built was an age of technology that was rather hardy? It's an odd thought, I know, but when I look at Destiny I think of how automobiles from the 40's and 50's were really durable, with heavy steel frames and bodies that were more difficult to damage than vehicles today that are made from weaker materials.

Now granted, we all know just about everything the Ancients ever created has an amazing level of resilience, Destiny is battered and bruised but still functioning incredibly well for her age. The mere fact that she can make an intergalactic voyage in the span of a couple of weeks (assumed) is a testament to her abilities (considering her available power).

Just a crazy thought that popped into my head when looking over some of the photos of Destiny.

Steelbox
November 19th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Not so mean and lean back there. The Avalon fashion week of 10 mi years ago said the tendency was brown and rusty color that year.

Granted those car, back in the 40s, 50s where not "designed" to prevent serious injuries/death to the driver. The ones today are so i think that instead of making the car more dificult to damage they maid the driver more dificult to damage. But yes the durability of destiny is outstanding!

thekillman
November 19th, 2010, 03:05 AM
in current times there's more emphasis on something being just strong enough. not too strong so you waste money, not too weak so you sell crap.

realistically, we can design better cars and better tools. but to be frank, whoever makes something TOO durable, destroys his own market.

vjlax18
November 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM
So what you're saying is that Destiny is like a Checker Cab and the Aurora is like a new BMW?

webxro
November 19th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Maybe Aurora is a Lamborghini , the ha'tak is BMW , but yes

mizzoueng
November 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I got all excited, I thought this thread was discussing how Destiny was made. As in, "where are all the ship yards that built Destiny and the Seeders?"

But that would be thread-jacking. As for its actual material construction. I think its survived this long due to excellent shielding. If you protect it once you jump out of FTL, then 90% of all damage would be eliminated. I think there is an abrasive element to the FTL, otherwise they wouldn't make it sound like sand on the show. It could explain why the nose section has more damage.

Also, during Trail and Error we see that once the shields are down, Destiny gets blown apart rather quickly.

Aesop
November 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
True it does have excellent shielding.

I think in Youngs dreams, Destiny was destroyed from the inside out because of a power overload. When you think about it, almost anything can be destroyed if it begins on the inside. Things are always more vulnerable on the inside.

Gala
November 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Also, during Trail and Error we see that once the shields are down, Destiny gets blown apart rather quickly.

That's pretty much happened to everything that wasn't 10km+ long. I've wondered why no starships have been built with metal defensive plates a fair bit away from the ship but still attached, would definitely take a few more hits as the hull wont be damaged when they hit... think I'm gonna go have a play with some models...

Selene1212
November 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM
Well, were "the ancients" ever primative? Was it on Earth? Where did they learn & develope their tech? Could Destiny be headed to where their original tech / ancestors may have come from? I admit I don't know too much about the ancients or their beginnings.

lordofseas
November 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Well, were "the ancients" ever primative? Was it on Earth? Where did they learn & develope their tech? Could Destiny be headed to where their original tech / ancestors may have come from? I admit I don't know too much about the ancients or their beginnings.

They developed their technology in their Home Galaxy. They developed interstellar travel there.

Dii-Reno
November 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
The truth is any civilization which developed over millions of years would have robust nanotechnology. Nanoengineered machinery would not tarnish, rust, wear out, or damage. That means a nanoengineered ship would look as new today as it did yesterday no matter how hard an enemy ship were to hit it with energy weapons. The hull would most likely be able to absorb any hit short of a kinetic weapon like a missile.

When you think of nanomaterials, think of materials built using sheets of neatly stacked atoms. When they stack carbon, that black stuff that is left over after you burn something, they can roll it into a tube and create carbon nanotubes. CNTs are fibers which are 117x stronger than steal, 30x stronger than kevlar, and conduct electricity about 1,000x better than copper.

Selene1212
November 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
They developed their technology in their Home Galaxy. They developed interstellar travel there.I'm assuming then that we know where their home galaxy is/was?

Greenfire32
November 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm assuming then that we know where their home galaxy is/was?

Well, I'm not sure if we know where it is exactly but we have been there before. The Ancients and the Ori are of the same original people, meaning they occupied the same galaxy.

They did split eventually, Ancients being more science oriented, Ori being more religion oriented, and the Ancients left their galaxy and came here.

I doubt they'd send the Destiny back to the Ori galaxy. There's no real point.

lordofseas
November 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
I'm assuming then that we know where their home galaxy is/was?

In the far recesses of space, somewhere out there.

Selene1212
November 21st, 2010, 02:56 PM
Well, I'm not sure if we know where it is exactly but we have been there before. The Ancients and the Ori are of the same original people, meaning they occupied the same galaxy.

They did split eventually, Ancients being more science oriented, Ori being more religion oriented, and the Ancients left their galaxy and came here.

I doubt they'd send the Destiny back to the Ori galaxy. There's no real point.

Thanks. I haven't gotten to see the "Ori" SG1 eps yet...

garhkal
November 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM
In the far recesses of space, somewhere out there.

Yup. It is to the right of that third star on the left.. no.. 4th one up.

Steelbox
November 23rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Yup. It is to the right of that third star on the left.. no.. 4th one up.

No... that's my bathroom.