Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got anti-matter!

http://www.aolnews.com/science/artic..._lnk1%7C185006

It powered the Starship Enterprise's warp drive and almost blew up the Vatican in Dan Brown's novel "Angel & Demons." But antimatter is no longer confined to the realm of far-fetched fiction. Scientists have now discovered how to capture and contain matter's elusive and exotic counterpart.

In a study published in the journal Nature, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Switzerland detail how they caught 38 atoms of anti-hydrogen -- the simplest type of antimatter -- and stored them for about two-tenths of a second. Sci-fi geeks or mad papal aides shouldn't celebrate yet, however.

rest at the link
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

very cool!!
    sigpic

Comment

I think it will be awhile before we hear more of this. Sounds like its highly unstable
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Isn't antimatter unstable pretty much by definition?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Isn't antimatter unstable pretty much by definition?
          Not that I know of but physics is not really my area of expertise.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Mine either, to be honest. I've just always been under the impression that matter and anti-matter annihilate one-another when they come in contact; I take that to mean 'unstable'.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Looks like we've got our equivalent of the Omega Particle.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Next thing you know, those lunatics at CERN will use this in one of their Big Bang experiments and destroy us all

Comment

Or maybe the antimatter we produce will be what saves us from one of those runaway singularities or strange matter stringlets or whatever that CERN's gonna pump out one of these fine days.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Yeah but it's more fun to spout that the end of the world is coming

Comment

It can be, yes.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

antimatter is stable. it's just that it annihilates when it comes in contact with matter

Comment

If antimatter acts in accordance with the 4 fundamental interactive forces of nature, then one molecule particle of antihydrogen would be as stable as normal hydrogen. The charge and spin of the component particles would be reversed though. Containing the stuff, especially with a magnetic bottle, is tenuous at best since we haven't mastered how to keep that kind of magnetic field coherent enough to prevent antimatter from annihilating with normal matter.
                          sigpic

Comment

but it thought that we had anti-matter for quite some time now but in small quantities like this for a long time
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                            StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                            GW member infractions : 1

Comment

I guess we had even smaller quantities of antimatter for even shorter amounts of time.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                              X