Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Destiny's True Mission vs Stargate Seeding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's True Mission vs Stargate Seeding...

So, if Destiny's mission is to fly to the edge of the known universe to examine the pattern, why seed stargates on planets?

That being said, I wonder if we will see any galaxies with populations that have figured out how to use the gate system like the Go'auld and Wraith did.

The Stargates are there so they can go to planets along the way for resupply missions. It's also doubtful any species know how to use the gates. The only reason anyone in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies did is because the Ancients made them user-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by sjleader View Post
      So, if Destiny's mission is to fly to the edge of the known universe to examine the pattern, why seed stargates on planets?
      Good point. I wonder if this apparent contradiction will be addressed. The Destiny should be way beyond the seeder ships.

That being said, I wonder if we will see any galaxies with populations that have figured out how to use the gate system like the Go'auld and Wraith did.
      Only alien species advanced enough can figure it out since there's no visible interface like in the previous stargate system we saw. There's probably a need to dismantle one of the stargate on a planet to know what it do and how it works.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

theoretically a species with a lot of time and patience could figure it out.

as to seeding gates: compare it to the romans building roads everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          theoretically a species with a lot of time and patience could figure it out.

as to seeding gates: compare it to the romans building roads everywhere.
          Yes, but the Destiny should be way beyond the seeder ships, since there's no need to stop at every system and can go in a straight line to the center of the universe (until some ancient board it).
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I hope the writers make an episode that shows that the gates have a display or hologram that visually shows what the purpose of the stargate and who built it to any intelligent life out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              Yes, but the Destiny should be way beyond the seeder ships, since there's no need to stop at every system and can go in a straight line to the center of the universe (until some ancient board it).
              There is a purpose for the stargates being where they are next to resuplying the crew and the ship. The gates have to do something when the ship is at its destination, is my guess

Comment

I figure it's just a B-mission as I can't think of a way to tie 'pattern in the background radiation' in with 'seeding stargates everywhere'.

@ Commander Zelix: Destiny is most likely still behind the seederships because while the seederships do stop here and there to plant gates, destiny continually stops for hours ( sometimes days, like in Time ) at planets, or takes it's time to recharge in a star. Both are delayed plenty. Maybe the seederships are faster because more space inside is used for power...stuff etc.

But I figure the seeding of gates is more of a side-mission. If they're going to the edge of the universe why not throw some gates down? It'd also help with foodstops. In pegasus the destiny gate system most likely helped them to map out, colonise and settle that galaxy.

I still find it a fascinating idea that there is a chain of galaxies spanning from the milkyway to where destiny is, and gate systems in all those galaxies. Were we to send out a 304 from pegasus we could easily reach the next galaxy with gates in a few weeks. It's an ancient breadcrum trail.

Comment

Maybe seedingships lay a basic network/chain of gates in a galaxy and the original purpose was to then visit these planets and lateron determine if the galaxy was worth colonizing. So this part of the mission was a secondary priority, the first priority was to chase towards the origin of the patternsignal and the Ancients took this opportunity to seed more gates at the same time, plus the Destiny needs to resupply from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                    I figure it's just a B-mission as I can't think of a way to tie 'pattern in the background radiation' in with 'seeding stargates everywhere'.

@ Commander Zelix: Destiny is most likely still behind the seederships because while the seederships do stop here and there to plant gates, destiny continually stops for hours ( sometimes days, like in Time ) at planets, or takes it's time to recharge in a star. Both are delayed plenty. Maybe the seederships are faster because more space inside is used for power...stuff etc.

But I figure the seeding of gates is more of a side-mission. If they're going to the edge of the universe why not throw some gates down? It'd also help with foodstops. In pegasus the destiny gate system most likely helped them to map out, colonise and settle that galaxy.
                    Then we're back with what the original poster ask. If the seeding of gates is only a side mission, then why seeds gates and waste your time when your goal is to get at the edge of the universe? (if it's not because there's human now on board)

I still find it a fascinating idea that there is a chain of galaxies spanning from the milkyway to where destiny is, and gate systems in all those galaxies. Were we to send out a 304 from pegasus we could easily reach the next galaxy with gates in a few weeks. It's an ancient breadcrum trail.
                    I don't think it was even said that the chain of stargates planted by the seeder ship started in the milkyway or close to it.

It's also not clear to me how far out Destiny is now and if it's possible to catch them, in a respectable time, merrily using stargates trails and using FTL drive for inter-galactical travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                      I don't think it was even said that the chain of stargates planted by the seeder ship started in the milkyway or close to it.
                      No, but we know Destiny launched from Earth, so making the logical link towards the idea that the seeders also launched from Earth is quickly made.
                      But if they already had the MW network before or after the Seeders started out, we dont know.

Comment

Because the writers needed some way to say it was a stargate series when having almost nothing to do with the stargate?

I think it's going to basically end up as a pointless plot hole that never gets explained because it was a "How is this a stargate series?" answer versus a plot element that really would ever make much sense.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
                          Because the writers needed some way to say it was a stargate series when having almost nothing to do with the stargate?

I think it's going to basically end up as a pointless plot hole that never gets explained because it was a "How is this a stargate series?" answer versus a plot element that really would ever make much sense.

Tim
                          Somewhere i agree with you, but...then they couldve made a whole new series with a totally other angle...so I dont think it is likely you conclusion.

Comment

It wouldn't of been as easy to pitch or have a quasi-built in fan base.

I think making it a "Stargate" series made sense and the idea of seeding the entire universe with local only gates with no DHD's doesn't make any sense especially when you consider the mission aparently has nothing to do with actually exploring worlds per-say so sending out multiple of these ships (seeders + destiny) all to seed the universe and planets when we've yet to see destiny go to a planet for anything doesn't make alot of sense.

It's not that I'm knocking the writers for the choice but I think they should of just left the entire seed ship thing out and made it a "mystery" how these gates all got there.

Tim

Comment

The purpose of the gates has been explained in this thread and in many others.

The gates are used to resupply the crew with food and useful materials. Where else are they going to get food for a mission that can last as long as a thousand years? Or get limestone to keep the life support system working? Or get iron and other materials to fix any damage to the ship and other technology, create new kinos and remotes? At that time the Ancients didn't have the technology to make stuff appear out of thin air. Flying a shuttle forward and back would take too long.

Putting physical needs aside, the Ancients would probably go insane after a few years flying in a metal box.

Comment

Working...
                              X