Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why? Why couldn't the last 3 eps have been in the first season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why? Why couldn't the last 3 eps have been in the first season?

I been pulling my hair out for the entirety of last week, certainly more since yesterday's ep, wondering why on earth couldn't have episodes, such as the last 3, been brought to us in the first season.

Ep #6 - Trial and Error, Ep #7 - The Greater Good and Ep #8 - Malice have been some of the best episodes, if not the best, of the entire series. It had the best writing, directing and acting together with plot development and the crew finally bonding together. But why so late? It took the writers/producers 27 eps to get to the main plot(or story arc as J. Mallozzi puts it) of the show. That must be a kind of a record. Can you blame the viewers for losing interest in the show?

It is okay that they were trying to make the show more realistic by concentrating on emotions or character development but would it have hurt the image of the show had they inter-weaved more of the main plot and crew camaraderie that we saw in the last few eps into the first season episodes; Certainly not in the way it is hurting now. Had they done it SGU would not be in the precarious position that it is now.

It is pointless blaming angry SGA fans for the demise of SGU. Hell, I am a SGA fan and I'm still watching SGU. But there is a reason for it losing over half of its viewership since the series premiere. Over 80% of the supposedly "insignificant" SG fans are still watching the show but the new viewers they were out to get are dropping like flies. The producers tried to force the character drama instead of the sci-fi premise of the show onto the viewers and they just lost interest; When the good parts finally came there just aren't enough people watching to make a difference.

My only concern is that if SGU sinks it might take the entire Stargate franchise with it.

The last three episodes wouldn't have made any sense at the beginning of season 1, in my humble but always completely correct opinion.
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
      The last three episodes wouldn't have made any sense at the beginning of season 1, in my humble but always completely correct opinion.
      Finding Destiny's mission in the beginning of S1 would be anti climatic to say the least
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Blah blah blah they weren't in the last season, you can't change that, complaining won't help anything, so just let it go blah blah blah oh look an SGA reference totally didn't see that coming blah blah blah-frackity-blah.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Blah blah blah they weren't in the last season, you can't change that, complaining won't help anything, so just let it go blah blah blah oh look an SGA reference totally didn't see that coming blah blah blah-frackity-blah.
          This sums up my response to so many posts lately! Green for you.
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            This. Besides, resolving a story line without any buildup is kinda pointless.
            In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

go watch SG1 first three seasons. you'll be bald by episode 8 or so.

some shows get worse. some get better. SGA became more comedy and action, and IMO it became worse. SGU is new. for the writers it's incredibly new. and they have writen 90% of the series at the time the first episode airs. changes are not easily made. decisions have been made long ago and it's up to the writers to predict what the audience wants.

now that they have proper feedback from s1, they can do a better season 2. and i think that s3 will be SGU's absolute height.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Finding Destiny's mission in the beginning of S1 would be anti climatic to say the least
                Yeah, the last episodes have been as good as they have been precisely because of all the build up and development that came before.

Comment

Why? Because the first season was full of great episodes already.

It's been a different kind of action and suspense from the start. You can have one story about a group that gets along and jokes around and overcomes external obstacles or you can have a story about how a group learns to get along and build camaraderie. One isn't better than the other they are just different stories. Why tell the same story twice?

Also, imagine a story where bullets are flying everywhere and nobody really gets hurt or hit, then imagine an different story where there is one gun but you KNOW that if someone fires it, someone very well may die. Once again two different kinds of action/suspense. I prefer the second kind but when I was younger I preferred the first.

The show has been full of sci-fi from the start, just because they didn't spell everything out doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Lastly, even though the OP doesn't agree with me, think of how many shows had rough first seasons before they hit their stride. I personally feel SGU was great out of the blocks but plenty of other shows I loved took a while to find their potential. B5, TNG are good examples.
                  I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

For me, the reason "Trial and Error" and "Malice" were both outstanding episodes was the time we spent with the characters.

We saw Young deteriorating ever since Incursion. It revolved around Young's doubts as a commander and the burden of Riley's death. Could you have done that in season 1? Would it have had the same impact?

Same goes for "Malice", we wanted to see Nick get revenge because we the audience wanted Simeon get his punishment for killing Perry. How would that story go in season 1. Some random character kills some other random character for no reason and one of the main cast goes after them?

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight1985 View Post
                      I been pulling my hair out for the entirety of last week, certainly more since yesterday's ep, wondering why on earth couldn't have episodes, such as the last 3, been brought to us in the first season.

Ep #6 - Trial and Error, Ep #7 - The Greater Good and Ep #8 - Malice have been some of the best episodes, if not the best, of the entire series. It had the best writing, directing and acting together with plot development and the crew finally bonding together. But why so late? It took the writers/producers 27 eps to get to the main plot(or story arc as J. Mallozzi puts it) of the show. That must be a kind of a record. Can you blame the viewers for losing interest in the show?

It is okay that they were trying to make the show more realistic by concentrating on emotions or character development but would it have hurt the image of the show had they inter-weaved more of the main plot and crew camaraderie that we saw in the last few eps into the first season episodes; Certainly not in the way it is hurting now. Had they done it SGU would not be in the precarious position that it is now.

It is pointless blaming angry SGA fans for the demise of SGU. Hell, I am a SGA fan and I'm still watching SGU. But there is a reason for it losing over half of its viewership since the series premiere. Over 80% of the supposedly "insignificant" SG fans are still watching the show but the new viewers they were out to get are dropping like flies. The producers tried to force the character drama instead of the sci-fi premise of the show onto the viewers and they just lost interest; When the good parts finally came there just aren't enough people watching to make a difference.

My only concern is that if SGU sinks it might take the entire Stargate franchise with it.
                      SGU is not taking the franchise with it if it fails. Its like Joe Flanigan said to people at MGM, that the franchise has a very strong fan base and that the franchise still has legs. He didn't speak very well of the producers though. I believe stargate will continue after SGU if it gets canceled. Oh yeah I agree SGU should never had started out so slow.

Comment

"Trial and Error," The Greater Good," and "Malice" have definitely been some of the if not the best episodes of SGU so far. I think Subversion from season 1 still stands as my favorite, but if the next few episodes are as good as the last three I'm hoping to see an increase in the viewers.....hoping.

Comment

Ok

First, this isn't the 'I can read Flanigan's mind' thread.

Second, if you have nothing to add to the discussion but snide and snark, keep it to yourself. This whole 'let me make myself feel bigger by cutting down others' attitude is beyond tiresome.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X