PDA

View Full Version : Eli & Young

Shai Hulud
November 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I thought David Blue pulled an excellent 'Rush' out of the bag in his portrayal in the bridge scene where he has a go at Volker for fiddling with the navigation and then keeps it up in his interaction with Young. Eli modelling himself on Rush as a role model / father figure?

Also Young's line to Eli about not being the only person on the ship to loose someone and how killing someone in cold blood changes you as a person was a lovely little nuance with regards to Rush after he's popped one into Simeon's noggin.

hedwig
November 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I doubt very much that Eli is modeling himself after Rush or that he sees Rush as a role model/father figure. Far from it. He might admire the man's knowledge and such, but given that Rush pretty much kidnapped Eli to bring him to Icarus and is then the reason for him being stranded with the rest, I seriously don't think there's any role model/father figure there. :)

As to his behavior, it can just be blamed on the situation, stress, and his grief over losing Ginn. Most anybody would get terribly cranky and start snapping at people the way he did. His attitude doesn't have to mimic anybody. I would have been more surprised had he not started snapping at people. Besides, there are plenty more "role model" types on Destiny that he could be taking cues from: Young, Wray, James, and a whole raft of others that are stranded on Destiny; he's seen a lot of tempers flaring in the year or so he's been on Destiny.

thekillman
November 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM
yes but it's interesting that it shows Rush isn't just the only one and that these are just people too

Girlbot
November 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I really like the way Eli was portrayed in this episode. For someone so young and inexperienced , I think he has managed to act quite responsibly in whatever situation he has been put in. finally he finds someone to share things with, and she is ripped from his life by this maniac. Losing it would be the normal thing, but he didn't hide in a corner and snivel, he got angry, frustrated, and yet managed to bring it under control and use it usefully. give the guy credit. He's been awesome, and I think one of the most adaptable people on Destiny.
He may respect Rush's skills but certainly not want to mirror his personality.

Galileo_Galilee
November 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
And Eli does not trust anyway. Remember, he did bring up the reason to not trust Rush in the first place. "Just sayin."

Nth Chevron
November 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I still think Young should have given Eli a gun and let him help, he maybe a young guy whose experience in those circumstances was peripheral at best, but it would have allowed him to vent some of what he was feeling, now he has to bottle it up somewhat and that can be dangerous as he doesnt have an outlet now, i see an Eli depression on the cards soon (calling it here!)

Also, Young telling him to sit the hell back down and carry on working isnt gonna help Eli's confidence levels which i think have just taken a slight turn for the worse.

N.C

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Eli needed to hear it, though. Eli wouldn't have been able to help, and at best would have gotten killed. Young had to make him see that his efforts were better spent buying time for the people trying to catch Simeon.

NormaN
November 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I still think Young should have given Eli a gun and let him help, he maybe a young guy whose experience in those circumstances was peripheral at best, but it would have allowed him to vent some of what he was feeling, now he has to bottle it up somewhat and that can be dangerous as he doesnt have an outlet now, i see an Eli depression on the cards soon (calling it here!)

Also, Young telling him to sit the hell back down and carry on working isnt gonna help Eli's confidence levels which i think have just taken a slight turn for the worse.

N.C

When Eli asked for the gun I believed he was asking it to kill himself.

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Young's handled Eli exactly as a good commander should. Since his talk with Scott his command presence and style has never been better.

Aurora24
November 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
If Young had given Eli a gun, Eli most likely would have been killed on the planet. He has no combat experience, and trained military personnel were having trouble capturing Simeon. Young made the right call keeping Eli on the ship, and keeping him working on the bridge so that his mind could be focused on something besides losing Ginn.

GateroomGuard
November 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
If Young had given Eli a gun, Eli most likely would have been killed on the planet. He has no combat experience, and trained military personnel were having trouble capturing Simeon. Young made the right call keeping Eli on the ship, and keeping him working on the bridge so that his mind could be focused on something besides losing Ginn.

And yet it worked out just fine for Rush. ;)

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
And yet it worked out just fine for Rush. ;)Only because Simeon decided to spare him the first time.

GateroomGuard
November 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Only because Simeon decided to spare him the first time.

And he wouldn't give the same courtesy to Eli?

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
And he wouldn't give the same courtesy to Eli?That depends. Rush dogged him from the beginning. He's never met Eli, far as we know, and might have just shot him on the spot.

blueray
November 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Young's handled Eli exactly as a good commander should. Since his talk with Scott his command presence and style has never been better.

^this

i think that though eli deserved his revenge, he would have probably been killed on that planet, since he has no military background. his energy was better spend on the bridge helping the people catch the guy.

Mr. Jack
November 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM
If anyone, Eli should be using Scott as a role model. He's probably the most down to Earth and well-liked guy on the ship; someone who Eli would probably want to be.

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I don't think Scott works as a role model for Eli. They're different people, no matter how you go about it.

Pharaoh Atem
November 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM

that crossed my mind too. he was overwhelmed with emotion and didn't know how to deal with it. he's never really lost anyone in his life (expect his father'

garhkal
November 18th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I thought David Blue pulled an excellent 'Rush' out of the bag in his portrayal in the bridge scene where he has a go at Volker for fiddling with the navigation and then keeps it up in his interaction with Young. Eli modelling himself on Rush as a role model / father figure?

Also Young's line to Eli about not being the only person on the ship to loose someone and how killing someone in cold blood changes you as a person was a lovely little nuance with regards to Rush after he's popped one into Simeon's noggin.

Being he just got news his (most likely) first ever girlfriend is dead, i can easily understand him being snappy as heck...

I don't agree. BUT if it was, then young was again right to not give it up.

Only because Simeon decided to spare him the first time.

And rush is a machalevian conniving son of a &@@(h.

Blackhole
November 18th, 2010, 03:48 AM
^this

i think that though eli deserved his revenge, he would have probably been killed on that planet, since he has no military background. his energy was better spend on the bridge helping the people catch the guy.

Of Course. Giving Eli a gun would have been the stupidest thing Young could have done.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM
And yet it worked out just fine for Rush. ;)
Rush is an adult, one who's shown that he's more than capable of fighting and more than capable of killing if it came down to it. Eli? Not so much. Plus, it would weigh on Eli. It wouldn't weigh on Rush - at least from the perspective of the rest of the crew.

i think that though eli deserved his revenge, he would have probably been killed on that planet, since he has no military background. his energy was better spend on the bridge helping the people catch the guy.yes, he most likely would have been

garhkal
November 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Yup. So far, we saw rush fight young twice.. fight and do some severe smacking to a blue, and also take on greer (the ep with the ticks)... Have we even seen eli throw a single punch?

Girlbot
November 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Rush is an adult, one who's shown that he's more than capable of fighting and more than capable of killing if it came down to it. Eli? Not so much. Plus, it would weigh on Eli. It wouldn't weigh on Rush - at least from the perspective of the rest of the crew.

I would say that Eli is more of an adult than Rush.IMO. Rush acts like a spoiled child . Eli has much more self control.

Gollumpus
November 19th, 2010, 12:39 PM
It could be argued that Young was protecting Eli by not giving him a weapon. On the one hand, as has been pointed out, Eli would have had a very low survival chance on the planet against Simeon. On the other hand, Young was protecting Eli from the emotional/psychological change he would undergo were he to actually be able to kill Simeon.

We'll likely see a certain amount of what Eli would be going through by looking at how Rush is going to handle himself in upcoming episodes.

regards,
G.

Girlbot
November 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
It could be argued that Young was protecting Eli by not giving him a weapon. On the one hand, as has been pointed out, Eli would have had a very low survival chance on the planet against Simeon. On the other hand, Young was protecting Eli from the emotional/psychological change he would undergo were he to actually be able to kill Simeon.

We'll likely see a certain amount of what Eli would be going through by looking at how Rush is going to handle himself in upcoming episodes.

regards,
G.
Personally I don't think there could be a comparison. Eli and Rush are too different personalitiy types. I can't imagine they would deal with it in the same way. So watching Rush, wouldn't give a good perspective of how Eli would have coped.

Gollumpus
November 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Personally I don't think there could be a comparison. Eli and Rush are too different personalitiy types. I can't imagine they would deal with it in the same way. So watching Rush, wouldn't give a good perspective of how Eli would have coped.

I agree with your comments to a certain extent, which is why I specified "a certain amount" in my post. It is conjecture on my part as to what MIGHT happen.

Simeon is (likely) the first person that Rush has killed. (Let's leave the talk about indirect deaths laid at his door for another thread.) Rush will LIKELY go through some emotional changes because of this, and over this time we will LIKELY see Eli experiencing, through Rush's feelings, what he himself MIGHT have gone through had he been the one to kill Simeon. Their respective reasons for wanting to kill Simeon are similar but different. In Eli's case, Simeon killed his GF. In Rush's case, there's also a major guilt aspect.

There will LIKELY be a scene within the next couple of episodes where Eli will have a "there but for" kind of moment. LIKELY he will be talking to Chloe, and/or Young, and/or Rush, and/or Scott, and/or Greer about his feelings and how bad/angry he feels, but how he would feel worse if he had killed Simeon... unless he says that given the opportunity, he'd still like to shoot the S.o.B. and does that make him a bad person?

Would watching Rush give a good perspective of how Eli would have coped in this situation? Perhaps not, but the writers will have it in there. Just watch...

regards,
G.

janus4ever
November 20th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Eli is the canine of Young who is the most miserable looser of the sg history.. I hate them both.

Shai Hulud
November 20th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Eli and Rush are too different personalitiy types.

Both Rush and Eli are reclusive geniuses.

garhkal
November 20th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Though Eli is more of a joker, where rush is all logic, frak emotions..

Shai Hulud
November 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Errrrr Gloria's death? Mandy's murder? Rush shows plenty of emotion tbh.

aretood2
November 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I would say that Eli is more of an adult than Rush.IMO. Rush acts like a spoiled child . Eli has much more self control.

A whole lot more if you ask me. Eli isn't as paranoid and he is not obsessed with the destiny like rush which reminds me of a little kid with a new toy. Eli does control himself and is work oriented, yet at the same time he likes to have some fun. The way he acted in this episode shows that he has a very serious side to himself and when in grief he can get snappy and has quite a pair if you know what I mean.

Rush is always snappy to the point where it seems like he is more inconsiderate than not. I could not see Eli like that, he is probably the most considerate guy on that ship. And kudos to the actor too, he does a great job at portraying Eli and the writers seem to be able to write him perfectly. I have yet to see anything wrong with Eli, his actions and so on. Heck, his stone story was way better than any other stone stories on the show to date.

Girlbot
November 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Eli uses humor to help him cope in difficult situations. I understand that, I go for the humor, it cuts the tension, rather than snapping out at people.

MattSilver 3k
November 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Eli is the canine of Young who is the most miserable looser of the sg history.. I hate them both.

But I bet Young could spell loser right. He wins!

smart
November 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM
I do not think Eli views Rush as a father figure, as evident from how he has disapproved of many of his actions in the past [ i.e mutiny of Destiny, keeping the bridge a secret and e.t.c]

His actions would be similar in that just like Rush, Eli had lost his lover and now was struggling to cope. They would have partocularly seemed similar as Eli was leading the scientists at the time, just as Rush normally does.

garhkal
November 22nd, 2010, 02:36 AM
Errrrr Gloria's death? Mandy's murder? Rush shows plenty of emotion tbh.

I was on about rush and el in relation to normal times... Rush is all business, eli is jokes..

blueray
November 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
i think they would deal with the effects much differently.

rush didn't even hesitate to shoot the guy and that was after the guy was just crushed. i think that he isn't going to show emotions toward his action, especially not in front of anyone. and really has no regret about what he did.

eli on the hand, if he had the opportunity to kill the guy, i think he would have hesitated more on shooting him. and it would definitely be a major character story for the next few episodes (a really good one that is). i could see him talking to geer or scott about it.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM

regards,
G.

I believe he was protecting Eli, both physically and emotionally. Eli is not a soldier, in either skill or mindset, and Young sees that. Between Rush and Eli, Rush is a grown man and if he goes off, that's one thing but Eli is another, someone taken under Young's wing and I think Young would take it personally if Eli got hurt like that. The best place for Eli to help is where he works best - the bridge.

Nth Chevron
November 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thats why i thought it be best if Young let Eli off-world, by the time he wanted to go, Simeon for so far ahead as for Eli to catch up is laughable, but it would have giving him the feeing of doing something to avenge Ginn, instead of sat on the bridge trying to keep in range of the gate so the people going after Simeon can get home after the deed is done.

For me, if that situation happened, i woudl want to do something the bring Simeon down and NOT sit on the bridge solving math problems, even if i was the best mathematician on the planet, i would want to join the hunt, sitting still cooped up with revenge and remorse and pain flowing through me would not settle knowing someone else was out there - i would want to finish Simeon, or at least be out there tracking him down.

The moment Eli picked up that M4 he made a concious decision to take control of his life - his own Destiny, like he HADNT done up untill now on the series either on Earth or elsewhere in the universe.

I get the feeling his confidence in himself is going to soar because on some level, he knows what he chose to do with picking up that M4, but the fact he could use the feeling inside of him to fuel his actions, means it will turn inward as he has no release for those emotions, anymore.

I wouldnt be surprised if we see Eli start to turn less naive and childish with sci-fi quotes and moments of uncertainty, and more of a darker less light hearted, kind of rough edges dude. Wouldnt like to see him go off the rails completely and have to be put down by Greer though - that would be overkill :P

N.C