PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else expect a Gorn in this ep?

StefanSGA
November 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM
The scenery and the story strongly reminded me of the TOS episode 'Arena' in which Kirk chases and fights a Gorn. Too bad there weren't intelligent aliens in this one...

Maybe the creatures were some kind of Gorn :D

*Crash*
November 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I expected to see them, yes! :P

Aurora24
November 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I thought I was the only one thinking of Star Trek when I saw this ep. As soon as they reached the planet and started hunting for Simeon I was thinking ok here are Scott, Greer, Rush, James, and some redshirts. I was kind of expecting at the end that only those four would make it back, with Simeon dying after he killed off the redshirts. I'm glad I was wrong and most of the soldiers did survive to make it back to Destiny.

Galileo_Galilee
November 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM
They pretty much were Gorn.

But I don't see how all those animals can exist in that environment.

Of course, they were not there to study the local flora and fauna.

Retro_Invasion
November 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yes, Rush should of killed Simeon with a diamond cannon.

Eternal Density
November 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, Rush should of killed Simeon with a diamond cannon.Mythbusters busted that cannon.

Galileo_Galilee
November 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
It actually worked.

But it would've killed them both.

GateroomGuard
November 17th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Mythbusters busted that cannon.

Young: Fire the diamond cannon!
Rush: It won't work Colonel!
Volker: The calculations are off.
Park: Stop yelling!
Brody: It's impossible
Greer: Let me see...
(Fires the cannon and blows Simeon up)
Greer: Science knows not to interfere with me destroying things.

Pharaoh Atem
November 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM

and yes this video is not slowed down at all. LOL

pipi
November 18th, 2010, 12:43 AM
They must be crazy not to stop and hunt for meat after Simeon's demise.

garhkal
November 18th, 2010, 03:08 AM
They were stampeeding.. so imo had no concern for meat. That is if they even eat meat.

StefanSGA
November 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM

and yes this video is not slowed down at all. LOL

And those rocks aren't fake at all! Thanks for the cheesy video!

Sami_
November 18th, 2010, 04:26 AM
omg I was thinking the exact same thing, it looked so similar to the ep with the gorn.

prion
November 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yup, sure thought 'where's the Gorn?' when they showed one rocky area ;)

Skiznot
November 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
The place where Kirk fought the Gorn is in Southern CA and it's called Valasquez Rocks. This episode looked more like Arizona or New Mexico but I'm not sure. There's a very specific structure at Valasques rocks that juts out and I see that place all the time in sci-fi. They used it as the template for Vulcan in the Abrams movie. It was in an episode of Monk where people were looking for Aliens so it would have really stood out if this were the same place. It's kind of like the Wilhelm scream in popularity of use.

Oh and I've been there, it was fun. If you are ever visiting Southern California in the Valencia area I think, check it out.

pipi
November 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
They were stampeeding.. so imo had no concern for meat. That is if they even eat meat.

I was referring to the end of the episode when they picked up Rush. If they had a couple of hours left, Greer should have gone game hunting.

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
They should have an episode where Greer goes hunting, just so we could see how they slap together a barbecue.

garhkal
November 18th, 2010, 10:38 PM
True dat..... heck he already has teh flameage!

myhelix
November 19th, 2010, 06:32 AM
:lol: good one!

Krisz
November 19th, 2010, 09:35 PM
LOL! Now that's what it was, the scenery with the rocks really did remind me of where Trek had gone before! :D

I thought the location was used to good effect, it was good to see they weren't in the same patch of BC beach that had become as overused as the quarry! The scenes with Rush stalking the villain reminded me a little of SGA's 'The Defiant One'. Sheppard enlisted the 'help' of the native 'wildlife' to help him subdue the Wraith.

StargaterDave
November 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM
That's interesting. My first impression upon seeing the creature was that it looked like a Tauntaun from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

Maybe they're taking inspiration from lots of different Sci-Fi universes. ;-)

dosed150
December 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
I thought of the planet from galaxy quest, which is obviously a parody of the gorn fight

garhkal
December 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
What.. with that rock creature, or the little munchkins of doom