PDA

View Full Version : SGU without Chloe...

Phenom
November 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I wasn't until after the 10 minute mark of this ep that Chloe was first sighted, which was a very fleeting sighting at that. It immediately made me think that she doesn't really add that much to the show, as it was a cracking episode up that point and I didn't even realise she wasn't around.

I haven't always been anti-Chloe but unless this Smurfette-Chloe transformation makes things interesting, I can't see the character staying around too long.

MattSilver 3k
November 17th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I can see her sticking around forever. Just to spite all the haters. Or, maybe, because some people, like the writers, actually like her, no contributions or not.

Cold Fuzz
November 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't call myself anti-Chloe at all. I like Elyse Levesque and I hope she gets screen time. However, I do think TPTB have written themselves into a corner with her character. She's a civilian that doesn't really bring any skills to the table, unlike Eli, Rush, Volker, or the other scientists. As such, she can't serve a specific function on a what's essentially a military vessel.

What do you do with a civilian on a military vessel? She's essentially a random element, an X-factor in the whole situation and it's not clear how she'd fit in with the crew other than being Scott's girlfriend. If it weren't for the transformation plot with the Blueberry/Smurf aliens, what would she be doing? I hope TPTB really do something special with this plot...

k1037
November 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I actually really liked Chloe in this episode (and have since the last episode of last season). I don't know if it was the acting or the setup or what, but I thought "Awwwww, leave her alone u guyz!" when everyone (even Eli) was being mean to her.

I still think that Chloe's ultimate fate will be to lose the funky healing powers and the super-brain, but retain knowledge of various alien species in this area of space through everything the Blues have mind-pillaged. That, plus the setup last season with her studying all of Jackson's writings/reports sets her up as being the Daniel character for Destiny. That's the main reason they haven't been able to explore alien lore/planets and such on Destiny - no points of reference. Chloe is becoming that point of reference.

Shai Hulud
November 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Best thing they could do is blow Teenage Mutant Blueberry Chloe out of an airlock. Brody's scepticism with regards to TMBC helping on the bridge says it all.

hart37
November 17th, 2010, 01:55 AM
There are a few characters that seem to be "Hey that sounds like a good idea." brainstorm only to come back after character introductions and what not to think what can we do with them now? Chloe is the obvious one to point fingers at because the character itself is basically bland. She can't shoot anything because she hasn't had the training, she's not incredibly smart like Rush or Eli, personally I am not sure why she's allowed on away missions as she would more likely be a liability than help. Elyse is doing a good job with her acting though I just hope that something can be done about her character or else she'll be dead by the end of Season 2.

wolverine_nl
November 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Best thing they could do is blow Teenage Mutant Blueberry Chloe out of an airlock. Brody's scepticism with regards to TMBC helping on the bridge says it all.

It won't happen, but IF some1 is to go out of the show, it's her. Otherwise she would become another deux ex-machina

Cold Fuzz
November 17th, 2010, 02:13 AM
It won't happen, but IF some1 is to go out of the show, it's her. Otherwise she would become another deux ex-machina

I agree. They've killed off a number of secondary characters already. Sooner or later, they'll likely eliminate one of the main characters for a really dramatic plot development and I'm thinking she'd be one of the top candidates to get written out—her and perhaps Wray.

thekillman
November 17th, 2010, 02:40 AM
what's with all the airlocking. it's SGU not BSG. even though they are 66.6666666666 % identical (B-SG and SG-u)

Jaemal
November 17th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I don't really hate her (even though she can be annoying sometimes) but I wouldn't miss her if she was gone. I think her main problem is that she is rather boring and was entangled in a few rather melodramatic sub plots back in Season 1.

She has become more interesting with her slow transformation but she still isn't the most exciting person on Destiny.

I really would like to see the end of her relationship with Scott since this has gotten rather old and I feel she is dragging down Scott somewhat.

KlaxxonBlue
November 17th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Hmmmm... So.. why is Eli all hating on her now?

He lost his trick and now he's all hating on Chloe. I really want him to grow the F up! :)

I've developed a Love/Hate relationship with Eli. Lately, it's been mostly hate.

"You know sometimes, when your using the stones, you forget your actually in someone else's body, like when I went that club with Chloe that night and flirted with that chick who could have had herpes or some other more permanent passenger, all while I was in someone else's body. I'm just saying"

KlaxxonBlue

General Jumper One
November 17th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I like Chloe and would miss her if they killed her off

icsteffi
November 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Hmmm Just off the top of my head, all I can say is that in season 1 she was important for political reasons. But they just sorta dropped the fact that she is the senators daughter. Which is fine with me. All of the political IOA stuff always annoyed me. More Sy-Fi, less Woolsey. :D I'm fine with her getting screen time due to her transformation, but I want to see her let in more, rather than only see her onscreen with Lt. Scott. Tonight was a good start.

JustAnotherVoice
November 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I can see her sticking around forever. Just to spite all the haters. Or, maybe, because some people, like the writers, actually like her, no contributions or not.

Being SGU's (perhaps the entire franchise's) Wesley is a dubious honour indeed.

But even TNG's writers eventually got the message, and that was in the days before the interwebz.

I can see the writers (1) rehashing the Ancient Repository angle on this. Make Chloe really smart for a few episodes, but her brain shuts itself down because it can't deal with the changes, then it'll get deus ex machina'd out. Or (2) Making Chloe really smart for the duration, and REALLY turn her into the Wesley, which would probably be the shark jumping moment of the franchise.

randomking
November 17th, 2010, 06:05 AM
well i think they wanted to focuse on eli and rush....show that they do have a hart...and maby it plays into a later date one of the go bat crap crazy?

AndSoItBegins
November 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring character, just unimaginary writers. Anyone from any background can be made fascinating if the writers are committed to the character and/if they are creative enough to provide the character with an interesting backstory/characterization. So any fault with Chloe is the fault of the writing team, not the actress in my opinion.

Now some actors can exceed what they are given on the page and make the bland words that come out of their mouths interesting. But that's a special lot, a very tiny portion of those of the thespian populace. Elyse is not at that level. But she is good enough to make Chloe complex as long as she is given good material to work with.

With that said I still like Chloe. I don't see her being killed off (if the show continues) because TPTB appear to like her as well. If TPTB listened to some of you guys she, Matt and Camille would already be dead. I look forward to what TPTB will have in store for her and the blue aliens. The only way I would probably start to dislike her is if TPTB hooked her up with Eli because frankly the Eli fans have turned me off even on the possibility of such a hookup.

As for people not noticing her absence in the first ten or so minutes...well if the episode is great you can say that about virtually any character that is kept off the screen for the first portion of a show. As long as that character is not your personal favorite that is.

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM
While moving at a snail pace and very tentative I think the Chloe transformation plot is very good thus far.

It would be better if the blue aliens were a more present enemy like the Goaould or the Wraith. So everything would be linked with some ever present overarching threat and arc. But in my head, I'm telling myself that it is. :) Well, it may be for real, we don't know what the writers have in store for us.

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring character, just unimaginary writers. Anyone from any background can be made fascinating
I think the world of scripted TV and Movie is built on the idea of putting ordinary people like you and me through challenges and incredible events. There's not even any need for any type of "I was beaten up by father" background or flashback. Putting ordinary people through extraordinary events is almost the foundation of TV.

It's the impact on those events on her and how she reacts and people around her reacts which make it interesting. Same as the development of her situation.

jelgate
November 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Kill off Chloe makes things too easy. I want tension not easiness. And that spiting fandom Matt was talking about

Egle01
November 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I like Chloe and would miss her if they killed her offYes, same here.

VampyreWraith
November 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I don't really like Chloe, but I think that Elyse Levesque has done a really good job with the material she was given. I just really don't find her character interesting. I don't really want her to die though. I'd rather she was reduced to recurring, maybe have her get taken by the blues again or something and spend some time with them(more than 1 episode); get a little off screen development and come back changed.

carmencatalina
November 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Count me in as a Chloe fan. I was very anti-Chloe during the first part of the first season, but the character has grown on me, and I find the whole "blue aliens made me a mutant" story-line very interesting.

Team Chloe!

Wayston
November 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I like diminished role smurfette chloe, plus it may just be me but Elyse Levesque is looking hawt these last episodes.

Replicator Todd
November 17th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I like Chloe, one of my favorites! Besides she can say something archeological if she needs to, thats useful right!? Like Stratification! :D

Coronach
November 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I have always liked Chloe as a character, and if anything it has just gotten more and more so as the show has gone along. I like the way her character has developed so far, and I think this current storyline could prove to be very interesting if it continues. I really can't wait to see what the writers do.

Kanten
November 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm... So.. why is Eli all hating on her now?

He lost his trick and now he's all hating on Chloe. I really want him to grow the F up! :)

I'm not sure how exactly he was hating. They were back to being buddy-buddy a week ago, despite the Cloverdale fiasco.

He was just really, really, really upset and didn't want to be bothered, by Chloe or anyone else on the ship.

MattSilver 3k
November 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I like diminished role smurfette chloe, plus it may just be me but Elyse Levesque is looking hawt these last episodes.

No, it's not just you. Constantly looked bedraggled and unkempt like she has lately is oddly hot as all hell to me.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I can't imagine SGU without Chloe. From the moment she laid a beating on Rush, how could I not like her? :D
Then her standing up to Wray in Justice and now her neat arc here. She's definitely interesting!

edited to add an agreement with MattSilver about awesome bedraggled Chloe!

Kaiphantom
November 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I don't particularly care for the character at the moment, but I don't think killing her off is the answer; that's the easy way out. I wouldn't miss her if she were gone, but I'd rather she develop into something admirable.

I don't know whether it's the writers fault for not doing much with her character, or whether the actor herself needs to ask for more development. Because when you think of Chloe, you think of two things: she's Scott's gf, and she's part alien. Neither one of those things are qualities that are intrinsic to her.

What I wanted to see:
Yeah, she feels useless at the start, that's normal. But I would have liked to see her go, "Dammit, I am gonna find something to do, other than whine or mope around being useless. Everyone else is pitching in!" Partly I can understand it, because it isn't until Earth that she realizes she's had shallow friends and that she was shallow, but it was while she was drunk, so who knows how much she remembered.

But still, she could be shown helping out, by learning new skills, or watering plants or something. Eventually, especially after Justice and Divided, I would have liked to see her become more a mediator for disputes. She's a civilian with a military boyfriend; thus she has both aspects. The disagreements on the ship are political in a small scale, and that is something that Chloe should be familiar with.

So start mediating disputes.

Stick up for people who aren't your boyfriend.

Get yourself involved in the discussion meetings.

Become an attache for Wray, possibly handle some psych evaluations in place of TJ(or assist her in them).

Get to know and befriend everyone on the ship.

Of course, at this point with her infection, she probably can't do that too much. She pretty much needs to be locked and watched until they figure out something to do with her. But all this really makes me wonder about her education, and whether she only took it and passed because of her daddy.

Egle01
November 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Team Chloe!*joins*

I can't imagine SGU without Chloe. From the moment she laid a beating on Rush, how could I not like her? :D
Then her standing up to Wray in Justice and now her neat arc here. She's definitely interesting!Not to mention telling Rush (after he said Chloe should return to her quarters) 'You know where you can go?!' in "Water". :D

Shai Hulud
November 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
She has become more interesting with her slow transformation but she still isn't the most exciting person on Destiny.

Thing is she really hasnt mutated much at all yet, I mean come on, give a teaser with the whole Scott hallucination wedding scene and then a little bit of blue crud on her leg are about the only visible symptoms of this metamorphosis all the rest has been inner cranial as it were... ZZZzzzZZZ

Skiznot
November 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Poly-sci majors are hot!

I think the dislike of Chloe goes back to a high school mentality of having to have every fit into their little pre-defined cliques. I guess in sci-fi You have to be 1) a badass fem fetal 2) an exotic blue hottie 3) a caring doctor or 4) A science hottie. People that don't want to watch her because "she serves no purpose" lack the imagination and sense of adventure to follow along with a character as they find a purpose. I actually think the alien influence is a bit of a cop out. She's a political science major just out of college and when she finds herself on a ship without a clearly defined purpose, what does she do? Well, after beating the crap out of Rush, she STUDIES and tries to find ways to contribute which is what any of us would do in that situation. I think her political science experience could come in very handy if they one day met civilizations and I think she could be a better Wray then Wray by finding ways to bring the crew together instead of being divisive.

Skiznot
November 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Because when you think of Chloe, you think of two things: she's Scott's gf, and she's part alien. Neither one of those things are qualities that are intrinsic to her.

should be familiar with.

That's what you think of when you think of her. For me when I think of Scott, I think of her as Chloe's bf but fortunately recently he is starting to become his own man. I do think some of your suggestions are good though and I would have preferred her to find her purpose without becoming "the resident alien." I think that story is cool though, maybe it could have happened to someone else.

tomstone
November 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Seriously, Chloe could become a really cool character once she figured out her Smurfette abilities.

What she pulled on the bridge though was quite scary, in just a few secounds she handled a lot. I would be anxious and also very afraid to get her on the consoles again. She obviously has more control over the ship with a simple look then Rush searching for months.

Also she could still become the Girlfriend of Eli since Scott probably wont be able to handle a half Alien girlfriend.

Ouroboros
November 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'd rather Simeon had snapped her neck then Ginn's. Wouldn't make sense but I think Ginn would have had more interesting contributions to the series in the future, where as Chloe's main purpose as a character seems to be to prevent Scott from becoming awesome.

For the record I don't blame the actress either. It's just the material they're giving her is the sort of boring pseudo teen romance "rich kids with problems" stuff that usually makes me avoid a series. I'm waiting for the alien thing to develop into something more interesting but thus far it's mostly been used as just an excuse for more tedious mopey angst.

tomstone
November 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'd rather Simeon had snapped her neck then Ginn's. Wouldn't make sense but I think Ginn would have had more interesting contributions to the series in the future, where as Chloe's main purpose as a character seems to be to prevent Scott from becoming awesome.

For the record I don't blame the actress either. It's just the material they're giving her is the sort of boring pseudo teen romance "rich kids with problems" stuff that usually makes me avoid a series. I'm waiting for the alien thing to develop into something more interesting but thus far it's mostly been used as just an excuse for more tedious mopey angst.

TPTB are just building up a Character, is that so wrong?

VampyreWraith
November 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Poly-sci majors are hot!

I think the dislike of Chloe goes back to a high school mentality of having to have every fit into their little pre-defined cliques. I guess in sci-fi You have to be 1) a badass fem fetal 2) an exotic blue hottie 3) a caring doctor or 4) A science hottie. People that don't want to watch her because "she serves no purpose" lack the imagination and sense of adventure to follow along with a character as they find a purpose.. I actually think the alien influence is a bit of a cop out She's a political science major just out of college and when she finds herself on a ship without a clearly defined purpose, what does she do? Well, after beating the crap out of Rush, she STUDIES and tries to find ways to contribute which is what any of us would do in that situation. I think her political science experience could come in very handy if they one day met civilizations and I think she could be a better Wray then Wray by finding ways to bring the crew together instead of being divisive.

None of that is why I don't like her and I have a very good imagination.
I wish more of this studying was shown as it probably would have been more beneficial in aiding how I view her character than the scenes of her laying in bed with Scott.

That's what you think of when you think of her. For me when I think of Scott, I think of her as Chloe's bf but fortunately recently he is starting to become his own man. I do think some of your suggestions are good though and I would have preferred her to find her purpose without becoming "the resident alien." I think that story is cool though, maybe it could have happened to someone else.

Where as Scott seems to be coming into his own, to me Chloe still seems a bit too co-dependant.
We just see the characters differently I guess

YoshiKart64
November 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have to admit that having little Chloe and Wray in this episode made it better. Neither are interesting to watch to be honest.

I'm interested to see what they do with Chloe but I could see her dying by the end of the season. To be honest it would be odd if none of the main cast died as they made a point of saying how nobody would be safe.

Ouroboros
November 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Probably shouldn't take 2 years to pay off.

Take Wray for example. Wray is another civilian character without any really obvious special talents that would be immediately useful to the team yet she's a lot more interesting to me.

I'd like to see her get a lot more screen time. A lot of Chloe's on screen time seems to be structured around trying to make the audience feel sorry for her for one reason or another, but to do that I actually need a reason to like her first, so it totally falls flat.

I'm actually curious toward why the people that do like her like her. I can explain fairly reasonably why I like Rush so I'm genuinely curious why the people that like her character do.

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Probably shouldn't take 2 years to pay off.

Take Wray for example. Wray is another civilian character without any really obvious special talents that would be immediately useful to the team yet she's a lot more interesting to me.

Yeah, but SGU already got Wray. It also got a TJ. Chloe represent a civilian which was thrown in this situation against her will. She was just visiting Icarus with her father, and bang, she was now part of a ship with military and scientists exploring the universe and trying to survive. Sure she could say: "Oh by the way, I'm a great biologist and I know everything about ecology". But it would only turn her into another Park or Brody or whatever scientists. We saw she's tries to help with the food gathering, reading articles of archeology etc. All written into her character before the season premiere.

Now she's living a very difficult moment with the blue alien abduction and the subsequent biological (mental?) transformation. I can't wait to see where they were going with this. Increase mental ability is cool. Somehow I hoped she really did have some other kind of ability like I thought she had from the summer trailer. But with a faster pace the current situation with her could be great. Even better if they interlink her situation with the current arc(s) whatever they are... Destiny's Mission? Blue aliens?

Lahela
November 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I love the slow pace of her arc. It doesn't need to be all dealt with and wrapped up neatly within a set number of episodes - that's just the formula that we Stargate viewers got used to after 15 seasons. There's no reason it can't develop slowly, just as it might in the real world. *shrugs* I think she's coming along very nicely.

SG1Commander
November 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM
With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I love the slow pace of her arc. It doesn't need to be all dealt with and wrapped up neatly within a set number of episodes -
That's the mentality I hope not too much writers have. Not because a show has a fast pace that things are wrapped up neatly in the end. Faster pace means more plot development, twist after twist. When one plotlines gets resolved you introduce another one then another one. Episode 10 Chloe has completely turn blue and can fly, among other things, after a lot of development. Finally TJ find a cure, she turned human again. Then we see blue aliens in their ship with subtitles. "The transmission is cut off Chief". With 'a' Chloe in water tank (hinting that the other Chloe might not be the real Chloe). That's the lost mentality to story telling. Not slow drawn out plot, moving at a snail pace but fast moving plot with a lot of peripety and plot development! That's what is fun and intellectually stimulating. We know Chloe can solve formula we don't need 4 episodes to tell us that. Writers must take chances and not be afraid of introducing plot developments.

Egle01
November 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It doesn't need to be all dealt with and wrapped up neatly within a set number of episodes - that's just the formula that we Stargate viewers got used to after 15 seasons. There's no reason it can't develop slowly, just as it might in the real world.Her arc is growing to be a little different than Shep's conversion was... or whatever super alien abilities SG characters have temporarily gained over the years. This time it won't be resolved in an episode or two.

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Her arc is growing to be a little different than Shep's conversion was... or whatever super alien abilities SG characters have temporarily gained over the years. This time it won't be resolved in an episode or two.
Yeah but if they take 4 episodes just to tell us what she can solve formulas what is the differences? They just take the super alien abilities idea and stretch it over many episodes. Instead of concentrating on it on one episode while giving it resolution at the end.

Said in another way. If nothing much happens to her in 4 episodes, its boring and it sucks. What is interesting is introducing a lot of plot development with twists and turns. Not just stretching an SGA episode plot over 15 episodes. That's just ridiculous. After something gets resolved, seemingly, you introduce new things, new twists, new direction to the plots and character development. That's what is fun.

Egle01
November 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
That's what is fun.Well, it's been fun for me. Her slowly changing is scarier, to the character, to the people around her, and to me.

Too bad you don't think the same.

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Well, it's been fun for me. Her slowly changing is scarier, to the character, to the people around her, and to me.

It's not clear which type of change is scarier. Fast or slow change. If the change is slow you get used to it and learn to live with it when the change is faster, you are really scared because one week you were Chloe then 3 weeks later you must handle being someone with violent outburst, ability to read's people mind and everybody around you treat you like a walking disease or a trojan horse. Scott don't know what to think anymore. Rush want to use you to pursue his mission. The fact that you can read blue aliens words and prefer to stay in water half the time make you afraid of yourself. The changes just need to be slow enough or giving enough screen time so we can see the progression.

The way I see it. Nothing much will happens to the Chloe storyline. Certainly nothing of my 2 seconds brainstorming above and by episode 16 they will find a cure. Just a long drown out SGA episode with even less plot developments.

Egle01
November 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'd rather see how it plays out before judging it.

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I say that because I based it on past storylines which seems to be interesting but then the writers drop the ball on them or simply almost nothing happens. Like when Scott, Chloe and Eli were Lost in another galaxy. Or even when Rush was alone on the Justice planet. Or when Telford is getting captured by the seeder ship alien. Or Franklin as an avatar, the Destiny AI, the "conflict" with the blue aliens etc etc. Sure Telford may come back by episode 18. But what interest me is the adventures he's living now!!!

majorsal
November 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
For the record I don't blame the actress either. It's just the material they're giving her is the sort of boring pseudo teen romance "rich kids with problems" stuff that usually makes me avoid a series.

yeah, teen angst indeed.:S but i also don't connect with the actress. c'est la vie. :p

Jaemal
November 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I think part of the problem is that Scott and Chloe are too often show together. It sort of makes it difficult to see them as individuals rather than just couple (a rather clumsily written one as well). This is less of a problem for Scott who gets more other scenes but Chole really could benefit from some shots where she isn't just Scotts girlfriend.

This has been a big problem in season 1 and has become somewhat better now as her mutation is seperation her from the rest of the crew. Providing the mutation does not kill her or cause her to be thrown of the ship, the best part of action would be to end the relationship and find something else to do with her. Scott would probably benefit from this as well, I always think the scenes with Chloe waste the potential of the character.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe...and if it weren't for that hamster, Eli....

AndSoItBegins
November 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'd rather Simeon had snapped her neck then Ginn's. Wouldn't make sense but I think Ginn would have had more interesting contributions to the series in the future,

What? Another scientist/braniac added to the mix? We already have enough of those on SGU and the they are alll far more interesting than Ginn (one thing I could not stand about SGA was that TPTB felt Ford was unnecessary because of Shep's presence but they had no problems having adding a whole science team brigade to the show despite Rodney being around to solve all problems). Sorry, folk, but if at least half of you are mentioning the character's physical attractiveness when you gush about Ginn that says it all.

Kaiphantom
November 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Building up a character? That would work great... if Chloe had experience any building up in the year and a half she's been on the show. The ONLY thing that gave her a bit of growth was way back in Earth, when she got drunk and realized how superficial her friends were, and by extension, how she was (and it's not even clear that stuck or meant any sort of character change). Everything since then was "me me me (or my boyfriend)." I am seriously not kidding; we can scroll to almost any scene she's in, and the action she takes or advocates is highly beneficial to her. Well, I partially take that back; she had a very small moment of awesomeness in Justice when she stood up to Wray, but that was never really repeated nor did it mean much in the long run. She hasn't matured at all. All that's happened is that she got infected (and possibly screwed up the ship in the first place).

Again, there is a reason the SGU tropes page still lists her as "The Load."

Being a constant damsel in distress is demeaning to her potential as a character, in my opinion, and women in general. And I speak up bluntly and say these things because I'd like her to come into her own. I want her to be someone beyond a caricature of a selfish, helpless, young female. For instance, if she stands up to the crew in defense of Rush.

But the sadly ironic thing is that, by giving her this infection, it means that they have to lock her up, which means she can't grow into a better person.

blueray
November 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
i honestly forgot about her. once they showed her, i was like "oh yeah chloe". i think having her have this whole "i know everything now" storyline that is starting to emerge is taking away from the other character's roles (this ep's eli's) and they are much better characters.

Ouroboros
November 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
What? Another scientist/braniac added to the mix? We already have enough of those on SGU and the they are alll far more interesting than Ginn (one thing I could not stand about SGA was that TPTB felt Ford was unnecessary because of Shep's presence but they had no problems having adding a whole science team brigade to the show despite Rodney being around to solve all problems). Sorry, folk, but if at least half of you are mentioning the character's physical attractiveness when you gush about Ginn that says it all.

Ginn's an alien from an off world human culture who's old enough to have lived both under and after Goa'uld rule. She's interesting if just for the fact that she's actually from one of the human societies that SG-1 fought to free from the Goa'uld for all those years. Having her around, and cooperating, would be nice if just to show some tangible sense of what all of that accomplished and sort of tie together and pay homage to the first series. IE Ginn's only around now because of what the hero's in the first series made possible.

She also brings a different viewpoint that's both human and alien. There's interesting potential to highlight cultural differences and perspectives there.

Chloe is a rich American white girl who spends most of her time moping about her relationship with SGU's equivalent to captain of the football team. Oh and she's turning into an alien. The most interesting thing about her is that she's turning into something else.

General Jumper One
November 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
you guys are romantics (look up the real meaning) if there is an ordinary person on a show, then you guys think that person has to be written off or something, while me being a realist likes to see someone i can relate to

like in the 1800s when art was coming around there were the romantics who like heroic art and such that goes with them, while their opposite, the realist, liked photos and art of everyday workers because it is real and they can relate to the people in the paintings

Commander Zelix
November 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM
i honestly forgot about her. once they showed her, i was like "oh yeah chloe". i think having her have this whole "i know everything now" storyline that is starting to emerge is taking away from the other character's roles (this ep's eli's) and they are much better characters.
No it's the basic for drama. Chloe is not a character that know everything. It's a character transforming into somebody else. First, she didn't know much beside politics, now she knows all those strange things. She's living a very difficult moment. If they give her more screen time (I mean more screentime for this storyline in general if it involve other element like the blue aliens for example) and plot development it will be interesting.

k1037
November 18th, 2010, 01:13 AM

I'd like to see her get a lot more screen time. A lot of Chloe's on screen time seems to be structured around trying to make the audience feel sorry for her for one reason or another, but to do that I actually need a reason to like her first, so it totally falls flat.

I'm actually curious toward why the people that do like her like her. I can explain fairly reasonably why I like Rush so I'm genuinely curious why the people that like her character do.

I can give a couple:

She was very open and friendly with Eli from the get-go, despite his awkwardness. That plus her caring for Matt's sunburn, constantly checking up on Eli/TJ/etc. when they're having a hard time and so on, qualifies her for the label "sweet."
She's smart. They haven't been able to show much of it so far, but imagine Daniel Jackson being on Destiny instead of Chloe. He would have been able to contribute absolutely nothing up to this point. He is an expert on Earth-based mythology, languages, cultures, etc.. Nothing Destiny has encountered would have required his talents. Likewise with Chloe, but the character bio shows that the potential is there.
Beating up Rush, standing up to Wray, etc..
Doing what other characters have only talked about: admitting her flaws and trying to change them. Everyone else has just sort of bulled ahead with whatever they were doing until a major catastrophe forced the issue. Chloe has consistently said "Wow, my life is f**ked, I'm totally going to learn from this and do better."
Yoga!
That whole "go ahead, poison me" hand-sticking-out scene. It looked neat and was quite brave on her part.
She's hot. Hey, if that's reason enough for some of the members on this board to hate her, it's reason enough for me to like her.
I don't really feel like making a list right now, so hopefully that gives at least some sort of idea. I was probably more judgmental a decade ago, but after working in psych, my instinct is to automatically like everyone until they give me reason not to, as opposed to needing reasons to like them. I guess everyone on Destiny is just a part of the story for me - I like all of the characters.

icsteffi
November 18th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Does this make anyone else think of "Angel"? They killed off Fred but kept the actress. She was blue too. Chloe could be gone, if whatever is controlling her takes over. Hopefully that won't happen though. I like Chloe.

timmciglobal
November 18th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I wish Gin was really a Tok'ra and they would hybridize her with Gin's symbiote that "survived" the attack somehow. That would give her the perfect out to be less ... bed warmer... and more of a multidimensional character.

She seems to be a good actress it's just getting old to see how she'll sleep with Matt in this weeks episode.

Tim

JustAnotherVoice
November 18th, 2010, 03:19 AM
With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe

This fact doesn't change the point that she, in her current iteration, gets very little screen time, character development or interesting plot lines. Chloe putting the puzzle into the game just fits her into the greater mythos, much like Ernest being the first moderm man through the gate, or Peter Grodin being an "expert" (at the time) on drone tech.

Then again, I'm loathed to call half the main credits "primary characters", but even when you compare Chloe to other "secondary primary characters" like Greer, Scott, TJ or Wray, Chloe just seems to get much less of everything. So far this season, she's lucky if she's had 15 mins of meaningful screentime in total.

Not meaning to Chloe bash, but for all intents and purposes, she is a secondary character: two steps above Becker, one above James (James gets more screentime, but Chloe is involved in a major arc), but below Park, Volker and Brody who are in the thick of it all, and have been consistently.

garhkal
November 18th, 2010, 04:02 AM

I really would like to see the end of her relationship with Scott since this has gotten rather old and I feel she is dragging down Scott somewhat.

It wouldn' surprise me if scott has already dumpped her.

But still, she could be shown helping out, by learning new skills, or watering plants or something. Eventually, especially after Justice and Divided, I would have liked to see her become more a mediator for disputes. She's a civilian with a military boyfriend; thus she has both aspects. The disagreements on the ship are political in a small scale, and that is something that Chloe should be familiar with.

So start mediating disputes.

Stick up for people who aren't your boyfriend.

Get yourself involved in the discussion meetings.

Become an attache for Wray, possibly handle some psych evaluations in place of TJ(or assist her in them).

The bolded ones are to me, the better ones she could have gotten into..

HU?? I don't remember it being her..

Agreed. At the mo we still don't know
Is she chaning into one
Is she under their control
Is she gaining control of it?

MechaThor
November 18th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I like that they are taking their time with Chloe, it makes it not only more realistic but also more menacing knowing that she could either be a ticking time bomb or a savior in disguise.
Its also good to finally see an alien conversion not take an episode to develop then disappear with the final shot of the episode being a fully healed Chloe saying something like "a few more days in bed and they say I'll be 100%", yeah right you just transformed into an alien you can't cure it like a cold. I've had paper cuts which have took longer to heal!

Aewon
November 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't call myself anti-Chloe at all. I like Elyse Levesque and I hope she gets screen time. However, I do think TPTB have written themselves into a corner with her character. She's a civilian that doesn't really bring any skills to the table, unlike Eli, Rush, Volker, or the other scientists. As such, she can't serve a specific function on a what's essentially a military vessel.

1. "Justice"- She defends Young in a trial.
2. "Space"- She's captured by aliens. That's a great opportunity for character development.
3. "Human"- She reveals that she has studied Dr. Jackson's work.
4. "Lost"- It is revealed that she understand the Smurf language, or at least writings.
5. "Pathogen"- A major Chloe arc which I suspect to have a huge impact on the main arc starts. You see, I don't think the Blues are the ones changing her. Her skin is turning grey, not blue. Most likely the writers are intentionally misleading us. I think it's the Planet Builders, partly because it began in "Intervention". And, I suspect they are the same as the Big Bang aliens.

Knaves
November 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I am pretty sure that was pure BS to get to go out to the planet.

Kaiphantom
November 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
1. "Justice"- She defends Young in a trial.
2. "Space"- She's captured by aliens. That's a great opportunity for character development.
4. "Lost"- It is revealed that she understand the Smurf language, or at least writings.
5. "Pathogen"- A major Chloe arc which I suspect to have a huge impact on the main arc starts. You see, I don't think the Blues are the ones changing her. Her skin is turning grey, not blue. Most likely the writers are intentionally misleading us. I think it's the Planet Builders, partly because it began in "Intervention". And, I suspect they are the same as the Big Bang aliens.

With the exception of Justice, all of her development has come from an alien taking over Chloe, ie, it's not Chloe developing, but the alien. In a sense, you're saying that "Wow, look at that alien development! It's pretty impressive!" Chloe still isn't doing much.

And as someone pointed out, it was highly likely that she was just BS'ing in "Human" to go to the planet. Remember, Chloe loves to go to nice planets; every time she's wanted to go, it's been a fairly nice one (at least as far as they could tell at first). Time, Faith, Human. I don't blame her, because I'd like to get off the ship and visit a nice planet to stretch my legs from time to time, too.

Commander Zelix
November 18th, 2010, 11:02 AM
And as someone pointed out, it was highly likely that she was just BS'ing in "Human" to go to the planet.
Can't you see that the development is her pushing to be included in mission and make herself useful. She gained off world experience and in fact did help during the mission. If she did indeed read Jackson reports, its even better.

There's no characters on TV/movie who are just ordinary people to which nothings happens. There's always something happening to them and seeing how they react to it and the plot development is what make the story.

SGU is about a group of people thrown in another galaxy in an ancient ship with no ability to get back to earth. Thats the first event happening to them. We watch their reactions to it. Same as we see, at a snail pace but still, Chloe facing this difficult situation with her transformation and her rejection by the crew. It could have happened to Scott but it happened to her. Hopefully, the writers have a lot of plot development for her and she won't just be a girl who can solve formulas for another 4 episodes.

Jes
November 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think Eli was being intentionally angry with Chloe when she first called. He was already trying to throw himself into his work to bury his grief. And the fact that the work needed to be done. Trying to have a therapy session over a radio was a distraction when he could afford any distractions. It was really bad timing on Chloe's part but she had no realistic way of knowing that it was a bad time.

On the issue of the speed of her transformation, it depends on how long they draw it out. The single episode plots were the focus of the episode, they also had much better resources to call on during those episodes. Hopefully there will be a mess hall discussion between TJ and Scott in an upcoming episode discussing what the experts on Earth that used the communication stones to examine Chloe and TJ's research think on the matter. If there is any caring about saving Chloe then we know they have called on some people at some point. Hopefully they won't be dragging it out too much longer, it would make a nice mid-season cliff hanger plot point.

Kaiphantom
November 18th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Can't you see that the development is her pushing to be included in mission and make herself useful. She gained off world experience and in fact did help during the mission. If she did indeed read Jackson reports, its even better.

When you have proof of this, feel free to present. In the meantime, the rest of us will deal with reality.

SBN
November 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I like that they are taking their time with Chloe, it makes it not only more realistic but also more menacing knowing that she could either be a ticking time bomb or a savior in disguise.
Its also good to finally see an alien conversion not take an episode to develop then disappear with the final shot of the episode being a fully healed Chloe saying something like "a few more days in bed and they say I'll be 100%", yeah right you just transformed into an alien you can't cure it like a cold. I've had paper cuts which have took longer to heal!

THIS!

That is all, carry on.

Acidbuk
November 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Up to Space I would be the first to call for tossing her out the nearest airlock but...from Space Onwards she has kind of grer on me a lot right through to the Season Ender, First half of Season 2 though so far she's been kinda meh again so I'm going to go with the writers woefully under using her (Other than something to hang off Matts Arm). This "Infestation" of Blue-Smurf Goo is going at a glacial pace I'll say.

I'd still prefer they kept Gin around though.

pipi
November 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The show needs more girls not less. If they replaced Chloe with someone hotter, I'd be fine by me too. :)

Duneknight
November 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Chloe was great, comon man. plus Eli will chase after her again, just watch.

JustAnotherVoice
November 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
The show needs more girls not less. If they replaced Chloe with someone hotter, I'd be fine by me too. :)

They've practically replaced her, with the lovely Jennifer Spence, already. Dr. Park went from a background scientist last season to being a bona fide member of the go-to geek squad. Chloe on the other hand, went from being a "main credit" to "glorified day player" as the show has evolved.

More than anything, I wish SGU would cut their main cast down to what it practically is, rather than what it theoretically should be. Starring Robert Carlyle and Luis Ferreira, Also starring David Blue and B.J. Smith, with lots of "Special Guest Appearances" from Ming Na and LDP. It seems like everyone else is lucky to get any air time at all, when you factor in how much face time the geek squad and other day players get, so why build expectations as TJ, Greer or Chloe as "main characters"?

Don't get me wrong, everyone on the roster has put in some good work, but there are times when I feel anyone who isn't working directly with Rush or Young is a glorified extra with a speaking line, if they've behaved themselves.

Kaiphantom
November 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Destiny: Babewatch Edition! The air conditioner on Destiny breaks down, so the cast goes swimming on an alien planet, in some Ancient bathing suits they discovered in the hold.

Oops, hold on, Chloe is informing me she already had that covered in Faith, when she took her skinny dip.

Duneknight
November 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
was Ming Na in this episode?

smart
November 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
It could be that with her current isolation, the character is being used on a more limited basis until later in the season [ i.e. mid season 2 parter], where this ongoing storyline will become a central arc through a major conflict. I do, however believe that her character’s significance was greatly highlighted in this episode, as evident from how Chloe devised an equation for turning the direction of the ship around. Her abilities could be central in coming episodes as the crew further discovers the bridge to gain more control of Destiny.

Her character therefore has the potential to add a great deal of storyline to the series. Also, her character not only provides the series with an additional layer to the civilian- military division, but also helps viewers learn more about LT Scott through the showcasing of her relationship with him

Azzers
November 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
More than anything, I wish SGU would cut their main cast down to what it practically is, rather than what it theoretically should be. Starring Robert Carlyle and Luis Ferreira, Also starring David Blue and B.J. Smith, with lots of "Special Guest Appearances" from Ming Na and LDP. It seems like everyone else is lucky to get any air time at all, when you factor in how much face time the geek squad and other day players get, so why build expectations as TJ, Greer or Chloe as "main characters"?

This is a fair point. Although I'll admit that the cast they have is not too big if they'd just use them effectively. The BSG cast was rather sizable too, I don't remember going... "you know they really need to kill that guy."

What they have a lot of ill defined charecter teams. BSG for example was easy, even from season one (there were more than this but I just came up with these quickly and for season 1.) These are friendships or at least begruding respect. If I built an advesary list, it would be just as easy.

Adama-Tigh
Apollo-Starbuck
Boomer-Tyrol
Helo-Athena
Baltar-Head Six
Rosalin-Apollo
Dualla-Billy

When I try to pair up SGU in season 1, I have problems.

Young-Greer
Scott-Greer
Chloe-Wallace
Volker-Brody (doesn't really count though, they just always appear together)
Rush...Perry?
Wray...Johansson?
James...Franklin?
Telford...Jerky earth scientist guy?

The idea behind that list is, it's not that they're NOT main charecters. It's that on some level they seem to have problems building relationships that would make more than one charecter grow at one time. We finally got some Young/Rush traction going on... that is the story is actually advancing past "I hate you." I like that Wallace and Armstrong's relationships is a bit more fluid. I'm just thinking there are ways to tell more stories with more charecters. How about a Greer/Brody story (not slash, thank you)? What if Blueberry Chloe and Park spent time together? What about a wiser, less kind Volker revisiting having to work with Rush. How does time change things?

My point more generally is, how you tell the story determines how large your cast is. Not what your cast is doing. BSG had a cast that was large and the difference between the named cast and the supporting cast became, at times, almost indistinguishable. And also, for the credit I'm giving BSG here, Moore had an easier drama to write since the premise gives you the threat of death every episode without having to get too creative. SGU requires a bit more work every episode to get things to a fever pitch.

JustAnotherVoice
November 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
This is a fair point. Although I'll admit that the cast they have is not too big if they'd just use them effectively. The BSG cast was rather sizable too, I don't remember going... "you know they really need to kill that guy."

I'll give you that, but on the same point, IIRC, most of the extended cast were listed as "guest stars" weren't they? Dee and Billy were certainly never main credits, and I'm sure the likes of Tigh, Helo and Tyrol were guests for most of their run.

What they have a lot of ill defined charecter teams. BSG for example was easy, even from season one (there were more than this but I just came up with these quickly and for season 1.) These are friendships or at least begruding respect. If I built an advesary list, it would be just as easy.

*snip*

The idea behind that list is, it's not that they're NOT main charecters. It's that on some level they seem to have problems building relationships that would make more than one charecter grow at one time. We finally got some Young/Rush traction going on... that is the story is actually advancing past "I hate you." I like that Wallace and Armstrong's relationships is a bit more fluid. I'm just thinking there are ways to tell more stories with more charecters. How about a Greer/Brody story (not slash, thank you)? What if Blueberry Chloe and Park spent time together? What about a wiser, less kind Volker revisiting having to work with Rush. How does time change things?

And most certainly. Most of the BSG cast could quite easily have been considered a main character because they have stories built around them, and have had other characters to play off of. It didn't matter for them that X character didn't appear in Y episode and they didn't force appearances because A actor was contractually obliged to appear in B number. An example of this would be in The Greater Good, where Scott appears in the last 5 mins of the episode, and gets 2 or 3 lines worth of bleh; he didn't contribute anything to the episode at all. Virtually all of the main cast is guilty of this to some extent.

My point more generally is, how you tell the story determines how large your cast is. Not what your cast is doing. BSG had a cast that was large and the difference between the named cast and the supporting cast became, at times, almost indistinguishable.

Unfortunately, SGU doesn't seem to get this. The writers spent all of season 1 building the story up with Rush and Young at the centre, to the neglect of everyone else (just look at some of the backlash against Chloe or Scott last season). They haven't elevated many of their secondary characters, either through involvement with the primary story, nor particularly interesting secondary stories, and now, they're stuck with half a ship's worth of characters which half of the fanbase (YMMV) aren't particularly invested in, but are contractually obligated to appear in so many episodes.

Much like how Atlantis ended up, SGU could probably drop everyone from the main credits except Shep and Ma...I mean Rush and Young, and nobody would be the wiser.

All one man's opinion, ofc.

meo3000
November 21st, 2010, 11:11 PM
I just want her to transform already and become this hot intelligent hybrid that hates how clothes feels on her mutated skin.

Scifi needs a new Seven of Nine and Chloe has to be her.

Only then Eli can fulfill his fantasy of getting blue lizard tail... alright maybe thats my fantasy, still we need at least one alien on this crew.

hart37
November 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM
I just want her to transform already and become this hot intelligent hybrid that hates how clothes feels on her mutated skin.

Only then Eli can fulfill his fantasy of getting blue lizard tail... alright maybe thats my fantasy, still we need at least one alien on this crew.

Why do I get the feeling that would just turn into Avatar :P

Dromag67
November 22nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't mind if Chloe and Scott both walked out an air lock by accident. As long as Greer, Rush, Young, and Telford were still kicking.

pipi
November 22nd, 2010, 01:37 AM

Yeah, I'd love to see some blue skinned Chloe hybrid. I really wish their clothes would deteriorate with holes and stuff.

hart37
November 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I'd love to see some blue skinned Chloe hybrid. I really wish their clothes would deteriorate with holes and stuff.

Clothes getting misplaced would be good too ;)

Angela V
November 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Being a constant damsel in distress is demeaning to her potential as a character, in my opinion, and women in general. And I speak up bluntly and say these things because I'd like her to come into her own. I want her to be someone beyond a caricature of a selfish, helpless, young female. For instance, if she stands up to the crew in defense of Rush.

But the sadly ironic thing is that, by giving her this infection, it means that they have to lock her up, which means she can't grow into a better person.

As a woman I need to reflect on this. I have not seen Chloe as the typical "damsel in distress". She has held her own in many instances that have already been pointed out in this thread. She's also human (though who knows for how much longer) and being that she of course can't always save herself or have the guts to stand up for herself or someone else. Honestly that would turn her into a "superwoman" and that's unrealistic. She as 23 (well of last season, not sure what the timeline is right now) year old YOUNG woman who seemed to be pretty pampered before. I think she's adjusting well considering.

As a sci-fi fan I am thrilled about the what is Chloe changing into storyline. There's no way she's just going to be locked up without some heavy drama thrown around. I like the slow arc. Some may complain it's too slow but look even what they did with SG-1. My husband did not start watching from the beginning. He sat down one day to watch an episode I was watching and was absolutely confused out of his wits. SG-1 is full of mythos and one can get lost if they are plopped right in the middle of the series without having watched any episodes related to that mytho ever before.

Kelara
November 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
As a woman I need to reflect on this. I have not seen Chloe as the typical "damsel in distress". She has held her own in many instances that have already been pointed out in this thread. She's also human (though who knows for how much longer) and being that she of course can't always save herself or have the guts to stand up for herself or someone else. Honestly that would turn her into a "superwoman" and that's unrealistic. She as 23 (well of last season, not sure what the timeline is right now) year old YOUNG woman who seemed to be pretty pampered before. I think she's adjusting well considering.

Turning her into Superwoman is quite literally already happening with the alien transformation (super healing, super maths understanding and ability to understand Ancient as well as Smurf language). Plus every time she acquires a new skill or ability, it's used as plot device (at least once).

That alone takes her even more apart from the general Destiny crewmember than simply being locked up and prevents her from becoming useful on her own merits. Chances were there (mainly in mediating, helping setting up and maintaining a personnel structure, liaising, apprenticing with any one on the Destiny...) she's an intelligent, top notch politics graduate after all, no Jane Doe without any education.