PDA

View Full Version : The attack on Earth

PJO3434
November 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Why is Homeworld Security so concerned about a Lucian Alliance attack of Earth? With the complement of 304s that Earth has, we should have no problem repelling any attack they can wage. If they come in force, it should allow us to wipe them out (since new Hataks are no longer being built).

Additionally, if we can get the Free Jaffa to park a few motherships in the solar system, they would even make victory more certain.

Personally, I would love to see an episode where the LA attack Earth, and I would love to see us capture a few Hataks from them if possible.

Cold Fuzz
November 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Why is Homeworld Security so concerned about a Lucian Alliance attack of Earth? With the complement of 304s that Earth has, we should have no problem repelling any attack they can wage. If they come in force, it should allow us to wipe them out (since new Hataks are no longer being built).

Additionally, if we can get the Free Jaffa to park a few motherships in the solar system, they would even make victory more certain.

Personally, I would love to see an episode where the LA attack Earth, and I would love to see us capture a few Hataks from them if possible.

Given the way the Alliance has been operating, I seriously doubt they'd go for a direct frontal assault. They know that Earth has superior technology and lots of allies in the galaxy so they're going for a more covert kind of assault, the same kind of operation they successfully pulled off with getting onboard the Destiny. It's much more likely that they'd use a cloaked ship and blow up a city or two with nukes.

wolverine_nl
November 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM

The Free Jaffa and Earth aren't on 100% good terms, at least, that was the last thing I understood.

KEK
November 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Cloaked cargo ships full of nukes = goodbye Earth.

Korean_Turtle87
November 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
not just nukes. Naquadah enhanced. Poor Eli...

Ouroboros
November 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
There's lots of very easy ways for the Lucian alliance to wipe out the Earth if they actually get to use real life type brainpower. The easiest would be to just get a cargoship up to fractional c speeds while cloaked and crash it into the planet on purpose. When it hits it'll destroy the entire biosphere.

If the plan worked they wouldn't even know anything was even going on until the thing actually hit and everybody got vaporised.

Use a few dozen at once if you're really worried about them seeing through the cloak or something. The LA have plenty of old Goa'uld junk to play with and Earth is the biggest batch of eggs in a single fragile basket in the entire Stargate universe.

Of course when the attack actually does come it'll probably be a bunch of idiots in black leather with carbines trying to storm Norad and take it over.

thekillman
November 17th, 2010, 01:10 AM
how about straight out ignoring the 304's in orbit and just directly targeting cities?

or what about a sizeable fleet of Al'kesh. we don't have anything that can effectively fight them. it has shields, so railguns are useless and our APBW's cant really hit them. and missiles well they won't be THAT effective

timmciglobal
November 17th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Since atlantis is on earth and has atleast a partially functional ZPM they could send drones after any fleet that attacked, the asguard enhanced ships are more then a match for the ships and really, the LA is going to attack earth?

I think this entire attack on earth is idiotic "terrorists in space" plot. It's like if Osama was captured and we didn't put him to death because "he may have information about an attack in the works."

Tim

Steelbox
November 17th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Atlantis wouldn't be able stop the attack. Surely, it would destroy all the hataks, but not in time to save a handful a cities from being blown sky high.

timmciglobal
November 17th, 2010, 04:23 AM
With the long range sensors atlantis has? And the regular ships?

Plus it just doesn't make sense. Do you really want the people who defeated the goauld, the replicators and the ori as enemies?

I don't get the LA. I don't understand why they would plan an attack on earth knowing that it's quite possibly the worst thing they could.

Tim

icsteffi
November 17th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either. The only thing I can think of is that people that are just starting SGU wouldn't know how many threats the SGC has derailed with just 4 people. :) Plus "The Lucian Alliance" sounds REALLy bad-ass. Nice name writers!

Ser Scot A Ellison
November 17th, 2010, 05:15 AM
PJ,

How do you know, with certianty, they aren't building any new Ha'taks?

Stormtrooper
November 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Maybe they want to steal Atlantis? They seem awfully interested in Ancient tech :P

icsteffi
November 17th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Maybe they want to steal Atlantis? They seem awfully interested in Ancient tech :P

I hope so. Do you think that the writers will go so far into SG1/SGU stuff while trying to keep new viewers?

Well, I heard that David Hewlett guest stars later, so maybe they will do stuff like this to make ME happy. <3 SGA.

randomking
November 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM
i think its more the fact that they are planing an attack that worry's sgc...it means they think they have a chans maby they found a lost Atlantis weapon or something...

Selene1212
November 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM
In the Stargate franchise, when did we first hear about / discover there even is a Lucien Alliance? I've watched a bunch of SG1 & SGA now but have watched reruns out of order, etc so its like putting together a big puzzle.

Steelbox
November 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
In the Stargate franchise, when did we first hear about / discover there even is a Lucien Alliance? I've watched a bunch of SG1 & SGA now but have watched reruns out of order, etc so its like putting together a big puzzle.

Late 8th SG-1 season. 12th episode actually. So says GW omnipedia anyway.

MattSilver 3k
November 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Season eight, episode twelve, Prometheus Unbound, had two aliens guys who later got retconned into being Lucian Alliance come episode four of season nine. The Alliance wasn't name-checked until Vala explained them to the team.

Selene1212
November 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Late 8th SG-1 season. 12th episode actually. So says GW omnipedia anyway.

Season eight, episode twelve, Prometheus Unbound, had two aliens guys who later got retconned into being Lucian Alliance come episode four of season nine. The Alliance wasn't name-checked until Vala explained them to the team.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing those are the 2006/2007 episodes. I'll have to check my DVR for those particular eps. (I've got over 70 unviewed Stargate eps stored on there!)

thekillman
November 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
i'd reccoment NOT watching SG1's episodes of the LA. you'll never be able to take SGU's seriously again.

as to an attack on earth.

MY GOD THE LACK OF IMAGINATION.

ONE nuke to wipe out half a continent. whacha think happens when the LA sneaks into earth's Mark IX storage facility and sets them off. extrapolating from a certain nuke really testing, you would be able to flatten every building in a 5000 or so kilometer radius, the shockwave would go round the earth some 3000 times, the heat and light would even let the Inuit get a sunburn.

global warming? instant flooding if you set off one of our copyous amounts of nukes at the arctic.

standard BC-304 nuke? 1000 Mt. AKA 200 Tsara Bombas. Mark IX is supposed to be around a factor 10 worse.

remember First Strike, nuking asuras? that, but then on earth.

let alone the large stashes of naquahdah which so easily fission when close to a regular nuke. contact any of the dozen or so earth-like planets with nuclear technology in the milkyway, get a dozen or so nukes, put them in Tel'tak, fill the tel'tak with naquahdah (even ore will suffice), and watch the earth light up like the 4th of july.

and that's just nukes. given how long the LA apparently has been planning this, there's a possibility the LA will just appear in orbit, all 304's get a simultaneous system crash, and they self-destruct. or worse, get captured. or a bunch of tel'tak decloak in the hangar bay. or one of the many nukes on a 304 suddenly go off.

there are so many scenarios in which the LA easily deals with earth. believing in the power of our alien tech is madness.

Kaiphantom
November 17th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Ships? No way. Terrorist acts, yeah, that's possible.

The whole big problem with this is that the LA shouldn't want Earth's attention on them. Even if they mount a successful attack, I'd imagine it would be something like Pearl Harbor. Yeah, great job, you did a lot of damage... but you just awoke a giant. You don't smack a beehive with a stick.

The LA should be ignoring Earth, mostly. There are plenty of other resources and planets out there, that Earth shouldn't be a concern. Earth can't police the whole galaxy. Sure, Earth may have some nice tech, but for what the LA rules over and the leftover Goa'uld tech they have, it should be fine.

But honestly, it feels more like they'll attempt it with ships. After all, they did a standard attack on Icarus, not using anything special. If they did have something special, or more forces, they would have taken Icarus fairly easily.

powerdbygarrett
November 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Can someone explain to me how the LA got into the picture anyway? And how are they so big and bad? What do they want to destroy earth for anyway?

Selene1212
November 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm guessing they will probably want to infiltrate Earth and gain control. Its the only thing that really makes any sense to me. (With my limited knowledge)

blackluster
November 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM
The fact that it only seems to be one clan in the alliance that is orchestrating this attack, would suggest that it is probably going to be some sort of guerrilla attack, maybe using a smuggled in bomb/s approach or something. This clan's purpose though might be to antagonize earth in such a manner as to draw more of the clans in on the conflict.

shadowhunter483
November 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Can someone explain to me how the LA got into the picture anyway? And how are they so big and bad? What do they want to destroy earth for anyway?

After the gould were removed from power, they left a good deal of ships, tech, and weapons behind. The LA were thieves, mercenaries, smugglers, and other criminals who got a hold of them. They were explained in SG1 season 9. Think of them like an organized crime syndicate on a much larger scale. From what we have learned from SG1 and SGU, they are still more crimelord/warlord driven than an actual government body. As we saw in SG1 individual member controlled territory. By the looks of it that hasn't changed. It doesn't appear to be the entire alliance that is planning the attack, but a distinct faction of them.

Lionheart325
November 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm not really buying cloaked cargo ships full of nukes hitting cities and stuff like that.

No the fact that the LA actually knew of Destiny and were researching into ancient tech I think they plan to use something considerably more sinister. And we don't know exactly everything Ginn told homeworld security. Maybe she told of certain tech they have found/use that even a fleet of 304's wouldn't stand a chance.

Also I think the whole story is just a convenient story to tie in the LA and various episodes... But I think it works and will be interesting to see how it pans out, and maybe see some epic battle over Earth in the foreseable future.

bradly08
November 17th, 2010, 10:15 AM
The SGC is worried because any attack on Earth risks revealing to the planet the existance of aliens. Considering the LA have been operating on Earth for some time, they most likely know that not everyone knows of the stargate programme. How pissed of do you think the rest of the world will be when they find out that the US have ships that can destroy planets. Any attack that blows the cover of the stargate programme would leave the planet in such chaos that being able to mount an effective counter-attack in time.

Nova Blue
November 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM

I don't think they're as concerned about the overall attack per-se, but rather any sort of covert attack.

Meaning that they're worried about any LA people being able to set anything up from within using smaller forces, than one massive Fleet attack. Not only would it risk exposing SGC and Homeworld Security, but also do potentially a lot of damage before anything could be scrambled together as Defense.

Galileo_Galilee
November 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Well, I wonder if this will be shown in the SG U series or will be another DVD movie for SG 1 and Atlantis to team up to fight.

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Ships? No way. Terrorist acts, yeah, that's possible.

The whole big problem with this is that the LA shouldn't want Earth's attention on them. Even if they mount a successful attack, I'd imagine it would be something like Pearl Harbor. Yeah, great job, you did a lot of damage... but you just awoke a giant. You don't smack a beehive with a stick.

The LA should be ignoring Earth, mostly. There are plenty of other resources and planets out there, that Earth shouldn't be a concern. Earth can't police the whole galaxy. Sure, Earth may have some nice tech, but for what the LA rules over and the leftover Goa'uld tech they have, it should be fine.

But honestly, it feels more like they'll attempt it with ships. After all, they did a standard attack on Icarus, not using anything special. If they did have something special, or more forces, they would have taken Icarus fairly easily.

Earth has become a power house in the galaxy. I can see why LA would want to eliminate the threat that Earth presents to them. They already have captured our most powerful space battleship and they are still a threat. Terrorists’ organizations are very difficult to destroy just look at our war on terror.

Your Pear Harbor analogy certainly has merit and a direct attack on Earth with ships would be foolish and unnecessary and certainly would result in the Earth focusing our entire resources on a reprisal. Most people forget just how powerful the SG-1 universe weapons are. If all LA wanted to do was destroy us then it would be a relatively simple matter to wipe out all life on the planet. Let us say they only use one 1200 megaton naquadah-enhanced nuclear warhead - one similar to the one that was used in Failsafe. At the time, for SG-1 it was the most powerful warhead ever created, the equivalent of 1.2 billion tons of TNT. At the Goa’uld's level of technology, which the LA have access to, constructing one is probably child's play. All they have to do is fly it to Earth in a cloaked cargo ship and blow it up. The atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki was about 20 kilotons. It wiped out a major city. The bomb they used in Failsafe was 1200 megatons. It would be equivalent to 60,000 Nagasaki bombs. I am not a physicist but I strongly suspect one going off anywhere on the planet would be an extinction level event. Those surviving the direct explosion would die from the nuclear winter created shortly thereafter. Hey, if LA wanted overkill and didn’t want to waste a cargo ship then they could just have it ring down a couple on opposite sides of the planet. Simultaneous detonations - game over for Earth - the threat and any possible reprisals to LA eliminated.

To address the original question posed by this thread – yes, Earth should be gravely worried about what LA might do.

Ouroboros
November 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Stealing atlantis is an interesting idea, and something they might actually be able to pull off. Can ancient sensors see through Goa'uld cloaks or not, because they could land commando teams via cargoship, seize control of the bridge and have one of their own experts fly it away.

It's unlikely to be heavily guarded sitting in the ocean on Earth being researched, and it's too powerful on it's own for any of Earth's ships to stop it or shoot it down before it books it into hyperspace.

The only main thing I can see that would foil them, would be if all the damage from the superhive battle hadn't been repaired yet, or if some of the ZPMs had been removed and taken elsewhere for study.

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
There's no way they could steal it. Even if they had someone with the gene, which is admittedly possible, they'd have to get own tp the chair room and guard it while they took off. They'd also have to kill everyone in the city. Not to mention that anyone in the control room, where they would be absolutely incapable of landing, would just lock every door.

thekillman
November 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM

earth is an annoying pest in the eyes of the LA that is best exterminated before the gate becomes public knowledge.

the LA could easily exterminate all life on earth.

I'm not really buying cloaked cargo ships full of nukes hitting cities and stuff like that.

ah yes the damage SG1 did to the LA's credibility.

I am not a physicist but I strongly suspect one going off anywhere on the planet would be an extinction level event.

not extinction. but let me put it like this: you'll always hit something important. throw it into the sea, and the explosion will cause a tsunami. throw it in some remote desert and the shockwave will still obliterate some major city.

Stealing atlantis is an interesting idea, and something they might actually be able to pull off. Can ancient sensors see through Goa'uld cloaks or not, because they could land commando teams via cargoship, seize control of the bridge and have one of their own experts fly it away.

It's unlikely to be heavily guarded sitting in the ocean on Earth being researched, and it's too powerful on it's own for any of Earth's ships to stop it or shoot it down before it books it into hyperspace.

The only main thing I can see that would foil them, would be if all the damage from the superhive battle hadn't been repaired yet, or if some of the ZPMs had been removed and taken elsewhere for study

find some sort of personal cloak (sodan?), infiltrate atlantis by the gate (hitch a ride with an SG team), and go take it over. if you bring a naquahdah generator along and take the tower you pretty much own the city anyway

There's no way they could steal it. Even if they had someone with the gene, which is admittedly possible, they'd have to get own tp the chair room and guard it while they took off. They'd also have to kill everyone in the city. Not to mention that anyone in the control room, where they would be absolutely incapable of landing, would just lock every door.

oh and at this point za'tarc technology would be very handy. someone would...just..forget..to push a button.

but seriously:

take ten highly trained LA people. equip them with sodan cloaks, if needed Kull armor (if that's still around) or some other cool, useful armor. sneak around the city, interface some sort of stunner crystal with the shields. (ARG is compatible, why shouldn't the cloaking crystals from tel'tak be) let a Za'tarc raise the shield. everyone is stunned. well except the LA people because they have the same armor as the guy from Deadman's switch. up next: the LA people take control of the gateroom and they have control over the city. cue a stardrive activation and a trip deep within LA territory.

same game for our 304's: za'tarc some people, have them overload a Mark I generator onboard, and boom, ship gone.

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 12:15 PM
not extinction. but let me put it like this: you'll always hit something important. throw it into the sea, and the explosion will cause a tsunami. throw it in some remote desert and the shockwave will still obliterate some major city.

Do the math, 60,000 Nagasaki bombs would do a whole lot more than "always hit something important".

Ouroboros
November 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM

They'd basically just need the bridge and the control chair to actually steel it. To secure it and turn it to their own purposes would come later when they fly it to wherever they're taking it.

So basically take over the bridge/chair room and lock down all doors and compartments in the city to prevent people moving around.

Fly city off Earth to Lucian alliance territory.

Land on a LA planet or dock with some Ha'taks and sweep the ship for trapped people.

Ransom them back to Earth/sell them as slaves etc.

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM
take ten highly trained LA people. equip them with sodan cloaks, if needed Kull armor (if that's still around) or some other cool, useful armor. sneak around the city, interface some sort of stunner crystal with the shields. (ARG is compatible, why shouldn't the cloaking crystals from tel'tak be) let a Za'tarc raise the shield. everyone is stunned. well except the LA people because they have the same armor as the guy from Deadman's switch. up next: the LA people take control of the gateroom and they have control over the city. cue a stardrive activation and a trip deep within LA territory.They almost surely can't get Sodan cloaks (only the SGC has access) and Kull armor is a mite difficult to get off the warriors (not to mention they'd be in Jaffa hands). They'd have to know exactly how to reconfigure the shield grid, which is extremely doubtful, and even then there's no "stunner crystals" that we know of. A Tel'tak cloak doesn't stun, either. Assuming they even could, they'd need full Kull gear to be protected; the guy from Deadman's switch only had body protection, and they'd get hit in the head. We don't know if they have Za'tarc tech; normal Goa'uld brainwashing isn't the same thing, and takes longer. In short, for your scenario to work, the LA would have to be unfeasibly well-prepared.

same game for our 304's: za'tarc some people, have them overload a Mark I generator onboard, and boom, ship gone.They don't just leave those things lying around. And again, you assume they have the tech. Not only that, the LA would have to find a guy who works on the ship and has the access to the tech, find where he lives and attack him while he's vulnerable, then send him back and hope he gets the chance.

They'd basically just need the bridge and the control chair to actually steel it. To secure it and turn it to their own purposes would come later when they fly it to wherever they're taking it.

So basically take over the bridge/chair room and lock down all doors and compartments in the city to prevent people moving around.

Fly city off Earth to Lucian alliance territory.

Land on a LA planet or dock with some Ha'taks and sweep the ship for trapped people.

Ransom them back to Earth/sell them as slaves etc.The bridge is at the top of the tower, and only jumpers can land there. The only place a Tel'tak could land would be on one of the piers. They could never take Atlantis as long as it was fully manned.

MechaThor
November 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
The last line of this episode confuses me, as it makes it seem like Scott was implying that in that 9 hour gap, their was infact an attack "we could have prevented it", with this adding weight to Rush's choice.
Sure that was not the chase and just the wording however.

Galileo_Galilee
November 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think he was probably referring to Simeon's actions.

Knaves
November 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I think Scott is trying to wipe clean any future guilt that such an attack might gain, and guilt trip the emotionally raw Rush as much as he could. It was a strange thing for the Scott that we have come to know to say, almost like suddenly he has a moral superiority to Rush (maybe because his girl is still alive and is now magic).

thekillman
November 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
They don't just leave those things lying around.

which is why i would za'tarc some inconspicuous technician with access to the backup power generator.

They almost surely can't get Sodan cloaks

plenty of cloaking technology around. perhaps even an asgard one (Shades of Grey)

and Kull armor is a mite difficult to get off the warriors (not to mention they'd be in Jaffa hands)

yes jaffa big deal.

We don't know if they have Za'tarc tech; normal Goa'uld brainwashing isn't the same thing, and takes longer. In short, for your scenario to work, the LA would have to be unfeasibly well-prepared.

telford was a spy and noone knew. surely LA brainwash tech is excellent stuff

The last line of this episode confuses me, as it makes it seem like Scott was implying that in that 9 hour gap, their was infact an attack "we could have prevented it", with this adding weight to Rush's choice.
Sure that was not the chase and just the wording however.
no but now that simeon and gynn are dead, so are the chances of getting information on the attack. it can't be prevented now, we don't know what planet the assault comes from.

In short, for your scenario to work, the LA would have to be unfeasibly well-prepared.

what else would they do all that time they're planning the attack? drinking coffee?

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
which is why i would za'tarc some inconspicuous technician with access to the backup power generator.Which, if he tried to sabotage, someone would almost certainly catch him doing it.

plenty of cloaking technology around. perhaps even an asgard one (Shades of Grey)Sure, they knew how to find it, but would the Alliance?

yes jaffa big deal.Big enough that they couldn't steal it without getting caught, or at the very least shot at.

telford was a spy and noone knew. surely LA brainwash tech is excellent stuffTelford spent a year undercover as a double agent. That's time and access they had which they wouldn't with anyone else.

no but now that simeon and gynn are dead, so are the chances of getting information on the attack. it can't be prevented now, we don't know what planet the assault comes from.Doesn't mean we can't find out by other means. Just lost the easiest one.

what else would they do all that time they're planning the attack? drinking coffee?Or running their interstellar crime syndicate.

Kaiphantom
November 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Earth has become a power house in the galaxy. I can see why LA would want to eliminate the threat that Earth presents to them. They already have captured our most powerful space battleship and they are still a threat. Terrorists’ organizations are very difficult to destroy just look at our war on terror.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding just how big space is. Earth is just one planet, with perhaps a few bases on other planets and a few ships. It's not like we're actively colonizing. Since space is big enough, you can always find another planet to lord your power over, or get resources you need.

Earth can't cover every planet in the galaxy. Only the Goa'uld and the Asgard could project that amount of power, and both are gone.

talyn2k1
November 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I can't remember which episode it was (Bounty?), but Earth is actively waging a guerilla war of its own against the LA, destroying Cassa transports and god knows what else. To them, we are the terrorists who should be exterminated so that they can go about their business. Simeon stated in the episode that he has lost friends and/or family to people from Earth. The LA not only feel wronged by us, but they are well aware that we are the only ones who have the capability and/or the willing to hamper their operations.

As for the attack itself, plenty of possibilities have already been suggested in this thread. Needless to say, they don't need a fleet of uber-powerful Hataks to destroy us. They have already infiltrated us, and that is what makes the attack so worrying. If it were a fleet attack, we could be ready. But as it could come from anywhere, there is basically nothing we can do about it until it happens, unless we can get intel on where it is coming from, which is where Ginn and Simeon came in.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding just how big space is. Earth is just one planet, with perhaps a few bases on other planets and a few ships. It's not like we're actively colonizing. Since space is big enough, you can always find another planet to lord your power over, or get resources you need.

Earth can't cover every planet in the galaxy. Only the Goa'uld and the Asgard could project that amount of power, and both are gone.

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 02:44 PM

You said in an earlier post: "The whole big problem with this is that the LA shouldn't want Earth's attention on them." and "The LA should be ignoring Earth, mostly. There are plenty of other resources and planets out there, that Earth shouldn't be a concern. Earth can't police the whole galaxy." It is a little late at this point. LA has already commandeered our space flagship, destroyed Icarus and another base and now Destiny. Earth regards the LA as a very dangerous criminal organization, a direct threat to Earth's interests and has every intention of doing whatever is necessary to destroy them. I am not clear on the point you are trying to make? Maybe you don't remember these actions? LA is already our enemy.

Nth Chevron
November 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I can't remember which episode it was (Bounty?), but Earth is actively waging a guerilla war of its own against the LA, destroying Cassa transports and god knows what else. To them, we are the terrorists who should be exterminated so that they can go about their business. Simeon stated in the episode that he has lost friends and/or family to people from Earth. The LA not only feel wronged by us, but they are well aware that we are the only ones who have the capability and/or the willing to hamper their operations.

This was after the LA, under orders from Nay'taan, disabled the Odyssey, killed Col. Emerson and nearly killed SG-1.

We hadnt touched upon their business before then in any significant way or with any ill intentions, basically they poked us and we kicked back, they hit us with a rock, we gave them the continuous headbutt of doom, now they're looking for a bigger rock and a more sensitive spot.

N.C

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
This was after the LA, under orders from Nay'taan, disabled the Odyssey, killed Col. Emerson and nearly killed SG-1.

We hadnt touched upon their business before then in any significant way or with any ill intentions, basically they poked us and we kicked back, they hit us with a rock, we gave them the continuous headbutt of doom, now they're looking for a bigger rock and a more sensitive spot.

N.C

In real world situations at the nation level the right and wrong often depends on who triumphs and writes the history. In the context of the Stargate universe, LA's actions have been entirely criminal. Most people criminal or otherwise often think they are in the right in their actions.

Nth Chevron
November 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Thats why i was writing from out point of view, considering if the LA gets to write that one into the books then there no more Stargate anyway because the barstewards won and were all dead :)

N.C

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Thats why i was writing from out point of view, considering if the LA gets to write that one into the books then there no more Stargate anyway because the barstewards won and were all dead :)

N.C

Sorry, I misread your post. I read the quote and thought you were supporting it but I see now you were countering it.

GateroomGuard
November 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
LA attack on Earth=EPIC FAIL. Let's not forget that on Earth currently are Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Daniel Jackson, John Shepperd, Rodney McKay, Teyla, Ronnan, and dozens of other people who save the galaxy and Earth on a daily basis. 4 of them can effectively secure an entire planet and take down the current galactic power on their own. All of them on Earth means that unless the Lucian Alliance can summon every villain from Stargate past, secure an alliance with the Wraith, and bring the Ori back any attack of theirs is bound to end in disaster for them 40 minutes into it.

Unless the powers that be decide they are tired of hearing fans complain about the stones and will end the season with Jack stoning in to tell Destiny that the Lucian Alliance just blew up Earth with a Death Star and everyone is dead.

Galileo_Galilee
November 17th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hmmm...

Now that would put an interesting spin on things if the earth was successfully destroyed.

The people on the Destiny would be alone more than ever.

GateroomGuard
November 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hmmm...

Now that would put an interesting spin on things if the earth was successfully destroyed.

The people on the Destiny would be alone more than ever.

Then Young will calm them all down by telling them of a lost legendary planet and Destiny will begin a long voyage to find Caprica.

TheRandomOne
November 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
The Free Jaffa and Earth aren't on 100% good terms, at least, that was the last thing I understood.

Just have Rodney use one of those Super Powered things he experimented on & he trains a bunch of soldiers on how take it off & voila

Save Chloe
November 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Then Young will calm them all down by telling them of a lost legendary planet and Destiny will begin a long voyage to find Caprica.

Ok, that made me bust my gut.

Pharaoh Atem
November 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
this whole storyline is pointless IMO

GateroomGuard
November 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
this whole storyline is pointless IMO

Yeah, I mean doesn't Earth get threatned with annihiliation every day? Wasn't that SG-1's job basically saving Earth from destruction on a weekly basis from near every power in the universe. And now everyone is acting like a potential Lucian Alliance attack is the most dangerous unheard of thing ever.

Kaiphantom
November 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
You said in an earlier post: "The whole big problem with this is that the LA shouldn't want Earth's attention on them." and "The LA should be ignoring Earth, mostly. There are plenty of other resources and planets out there, that Earth shouldn't be a concern. Earth can't police the whole galaxy." It is a little late at this point. LA has already commandeered our space flagship, destroyed Icarus and another base and now Destiny. Earth regards the LA as a very dangerous criminal organization, a direct threat to Earth's interests and has every intention of doing whatever is necessary to destroy them. I am not clear on the point you are trying to make? Maybe you don't remember these actions? LA is already our enemy.

The LA is made up of many different clans, gangs, and groups. The smarter ones would be trying to fade back, hoping if they don't poke us anymore, we'll eventually tire and leave them alone. Which would be true; Earth can't police the whole galaxy, so if the LA stopped doing stuff to us, odds are we'd leave them be. So yes, things have happened; but directly attacking Earth is stupid beyond measure. Right now, perhaps we're dedicating just a small amount of the budget towards them; a direct attack will change that, and will necessitate a much larger attention focus.

Regardless of what's happened, attacking Earth is a hugely stupid move. But it will be done, simply because the writers want a plot, regardless of how much sense it makes.

NormaN
November 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I wonder what would happen if the Lucian Alliance snuck in a few cloaked cargo ships with explosives into all the major cities...

Blackhole
November 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The LA is made up of many different clans, gangs, and groups. The smarter ones would be trying to fade back, hoping if they don't poke us anymore, we'll eventually tire and leave them alone. Which would be true; Earth can't police the whole galaxy, so if the LA stopped doing stuff to us, odds are we'd leave them be. So yes, things have happened; but directly attacking Earth is stupid beyond measure. Right now, perhaps we're dedicating just a small amount of the budget towards them; a direct attack will change that, and will necessitate a much larger attention focus.

Regardless of what's happened, attacking Earth is a hugely stupid move. But it will be done, simply because the writers want a plot, regardless of how much sense it makes.

Your points are well taken. Attacking Earth is foolish beyond measure.

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I wonder what would happen if the Lucian Alliance snuck in a few cloaked cargo ships with explosives into all the major cities...Blame it on meteors or terrorists and call it a day. Then allocate more research into detecting cloaked ships.

ggf31416
November 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM
A single clocked ship could plant many enhanced nuclear bombs near big cities, each one hundreds of megatons. If all are detonated at the same time it could kill billions of persons before being the ship is detected.

morbosfist
November 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
There's probably a ship in orbit 24/7 doing nothing but scanning the planet and space. If they took a naquadah bomb out, they'd be detected.

Kaiphantom
November 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM
The big question to ask is: "What point would bombing 10 of our cities be?" What would they accomplish?

Selene1212
November 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hmmm...

The people on the Destiny would be alone more than ever.That would actually be pretty epic and resolve a bunch of stuff people have been complaining about. (Journeys back to Earth through the stones, etc) I like it. Has any other SciFi show successfully destroyed Earth?

Destiny11
November 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM
with the gould gone, the ori defeated and the wraith still presumably in another galaxy. Considering the time that has passed as well as all the new tech from atlantis and greater understanding of asguard tech, earths 304's would probably have been upgraded (and i assume earth is still building 304's). Surely earth would be able to mount an assault on the lucian alliance (probably with the help of the jaffa and tokra as well, nobody likes a bunch of muderous pirates), instead of waiting for an attack previous enemies have been far more intimidating

Mr. Jack
November 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't really like the Lucian Alliance to destroy Earth, because you just KNOW they'd have to bring it back. Therefore, you'd automatically assume that whatever awaits the Destiny is a godlike power capable of doing so. It'd almost be a spoiler.

Pharaoh Atem
November 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I mean doesn't Earth get threatned with annihiliation every day? Wasn't that SG-1's job basically saving Earth from destruction on a weekly basis from near every power in the universe. And now everyone is acting like a potential Lucian Alliance attack is the most dangerous unheard of thing ever.

green for u

A single clocked ship could plant many enhanced nuclear bombs near big cities, each one hundreds of megatons. If all are detonated at the same time it could kill billions of persons before being the ship is detected.
unless i forgetting my sg1 couldn't the asgaud upgrades have something that detects cloaked ships? earth also has atlantis sensors.

i really don't see the threat the corn growers pose to us?

Meshakhad
November 17th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Earth's defenses include:

1. Five 304-class battlecruisers (USS Daedalus, USS Odyssey, USS Apollo, PLAS Sun Tzu, and USS George Hammond). And that's assuming they haven't built any more since the Hammond. Shouldn't the Russians get a replacement for the Korolev?
2. Atlantis with its drone weapons. They may also be able to use Atlantis to control the platform in Antarctica.
3. Multiple 302s.
4. The combined brainpower of Samantha Carter and Rodney McKay.
5. The combined badassery of Teal'c and Ronon Dex.

A frontal attack by the Alliance isn't going to work, no matter how many Ha'taks the Alliance threw at Earth. However, the Alliance may have something up its sleeve. Maybe they've found a way to cloak a Ha'tak. Maybe they have a Replicator (not to mention a case of the same stupid virus that afflicted the IOA in Ark of Truth). Maybe they have a way to hack Atlantis and shut down the shield remotely. In fact, Homeworld Command is probably assuming the same thing, and trying to determine what the Alliance is planning.

garhkal
November 18th, 2010, 02:49 AM
To the OP.. Hav you seen any of the 5 or so other threads on this??

Blackhole
November 18th, 2010, 03:13 AM
green for u

unless i forgetting my sg1 couldn't the asgaud upgrades have something that detects cloaked ships? earth also has atlantis sensors.

i really don't see the threat the corn growers pose to us?

Earth is a very big planet and all this technology is always 100% properly manned and monitored and 100% foolproof?

If a large highly organized criminal organization hell bent on our destruction with extensive access to advanced Goa'uld technology like cloaked cargo ships and nuclear weapons isn't threatening to you then I don't know what to say.

MechaThor
November 18th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I would say that the LA are actually now a pretty big threat to Earth and its allies (guessing the Free Jaffa Nation and others aren't to keen on the LA either).
What makes the LA more dangerous is that they are organised, structured, smart and built up from fractions. They also look and act like us which don't help. They are essentially terrorists in space, a force you can't target directly. Others like the Ori and Goa'uld while still dangerous where technically easier to defeat, like the equivalent to ye'old time wars (such as the Nazi's), take out the leader and the rest will fall... war over. However with the LA a group made up of ideas and cells, you can't just target the "big guy" and hope the rest lay down their guns.
It's similar to why Baal and the Goa'uld on Earth where always more of a threat to Earth itself than the system lords, since their movements where harder to track, and they attacked in small planned attacks rather than full on more predictable "look here's my entire army slowly approaching your planet" style attacks.

Anyways, I am sure there's still plenty of leads in the MW, and if they get anyone else from that clan with Intel, Teal'c is always around to get it out of them :D
Indeed

Zkyire
November 18th, 2010, 03:53 AM
The big question to ask is: "What point would bombing 10 of our cities be?" What would they accomplish?

- Killing tens of millions of people.

- Causing mass hysteria.

- Causing huge amounts of money, manpower and resources to go into rebuilding/helping survivors. Money that might be taken away from the SGC.

- Causing the SCG to rethink their attacks on the LA. ie. if the SGC attacks the LA again, the LA might bomb another city killing millions more people.

Meshakhad
November 18th, 2010, 05:43 AM

- Causing mass hysteria.

True.

- Causing huge amounts of money, manpower and resources to go into rebuilding/helping survivors. Money that might be taken away from the SGC.

Unlikely. The budget for the SGC would be the last thing to go.

- Causing the SCG to rethink their attacks on the LA. ie. if the SGC attacks the LA again, the LA might bomb another city killing millions more people.

Historically, the SGC has NEVER bowed in the face of attack. If the LA attacks Earth, Earth will hit back with everything they've got.

blueray
November 18th, 2010, 05:52 AM
i'm struggling to seem them as a threat to earth. we have:

at least 5 ships
Atlantis
asgard technology

and allies: jaffa and tok'ra who have technology as well.

and even if they tried to take us from the inside, it would be to hard to have enough man power.

Aewon
November 18th, 2010, 06:23 AM
No threat? The Lucian Alliance are one of the largest inter-stellar nations in the galaxy. The Jaffa Nation is a threat to the billions of humans who once lived under Goa'uld oppression, and the only counter-balance is the Lucian Alliance. They have been working on a lot of Ancient technology, so their ships are probably much more powerful than Jaffa and Tok'ra Ha'tak.

thekillman
November 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM
to the many people who believe our 304's are undefeatable:

just, please, just watch BSG's miniseries. the "pilot". the only reason the cylons ever defeated the colonials so damn easily was because they planted a backdoor in the operation system of the colonial warships.

once the assault came, warships would just loose all their power and get swiftly taken down by nukes. also there were cylon infiltrators.

for us, it's worse, considering the LA has access to cloaking and brainwashing technology. TBH, infiltrating is not that hard, and brainwashing someone the za'tarc way is nearly undetectable. all set up by Stargate SG1, but when our alien enemies use it, it's suddenly not possible?

norph
November 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I was wondering if Atlantis is still in on Earth? One thing I just thought of was that the Atlantis probably had very advance scanners (even had very long range scanners that can detect hive ships across the galaxy) and the ancients have cloaking technology. It makes sense that the ancients probably have some form of anti-cloaking scanners so Atlantis may be able to detect a cloaked transport.

Kaiphantom
November 18th, 2010, 08:14 AM

- Causing mass hysteria.

Ultimately pointless as far as LA goals are concerned. The Earth has 7+ BILLION people. Tens of millions won't make a dent, and hysteria won't detract from the trained men and women of the SGC.

Incredibly unlikely. Earth has a lot of wealth, and if the LA is ingrained well enough in our society to even consider that, they'd dismiss it out of hand because no disaster has ever taken money away from the military (or secret ops). Look, perhaps you haven't been a military leader, but when you make an attack, you need to make it one that actually damages your opponent's ability to make war. That means facilities, supply depots, troops masses. Attacking population centers only works if you have severe overwhelming firepower and there is very little chance your opponent can fight back. Then it works greatly as a fear deterrent.

We're talking about the planet that took down the Goa'uld, the replicators, AND the Ori. If Earth didn't bow to the superior power of those, they ain't gonna bow to terrorist bombing. Again, it would be real stupid of the LA to think this.

Selina
November 18th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Very sound arguments as far as "normal" wars are concerned Kaiphantom. The lucian alliance seems to be more of a criminal organisation than a country / regular power though. So it isn't that unlikely that they would resort to terrorism and guerilla warfare.

In fact I would think it's a much more likely scenario that they use terrorism and covert ops than it is for them to actually show up with a few Ha'tak (which would probably be destroyed by earths superior technology anyway).

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Very sound arguments as far as "normal" wars are concerned Kaiphantom. The lucian alliance seems to be more of a criminal organisation than a country / regular power though. So it isn't that unlikely that they would resort to terrorism and guerilla warfare.

In fact I would think it's a much more likely scenario that they use terrorism and covert ops than it is for them to actually show up with a few Ha'tak (which would probably be destroyed by earths superior technology anyway).

Yeah, I really don't see a straight up frontal assault here, for so many reasons.

Puddle-Jumper
November 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Ya I really don't understand why they're worried about it, like the 304s in unending could take out an ori ship without too much trouble, surely a hatak would be one shot and boom... so it would have to be some sort of covert assault, but even then what could it be that Earth couldn't overcome, like by the end of SG1/SGA we're basically more powerful then the asgard, only with no replicators or genetic problems. If I had to guess, its something along the lines of planting LA people on earth, like we've already seen them do, and then plant some explosives, or take out some of the top people... simultaneously hit their defenses from the inside and from the ouside. Col. Telford was brainwashed, its very possible others have too.

cnnrstrav
November 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Wow....you people are scaring me with all this info....it would really be THAT easy to wipe ourselves out with Nukes...haha.

And dang, I didn't realize how many ways the little old Lucian Alliance could wipe out all life on Earth. Space gangs really are scary. But I definitely agree that SG1 or someone would once again single-handedly defeat their forces right before they could do any of this stuff, hehe.

Zkyire
November 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Ultimately pointless as far as LA goals are concerned. The Earth has 7+ BILLION people. Tens of millions won't make a dent, and hysteria won't detract from the trained men and women of the SGC.

You don't know what the LA goals are any more than the rest of us. All we know is there is an impending attack. Where, when and why is pure speculation.

Incredibly unlikely. Earth has a lot of wealth, and if the LA is ingrained well enough in our society to even consider that, they'd dismiss it out of hand because no disaster has ever taken money away from the military (or secret ops). Look, perhaps you haven't been a military leader, but when you make an attack, you need to make it one that actually damages your opponent's ability to make war. That means facilities, supply depots, troops masses. Attacking population centers only works if you have severe overwhelming firepower and there is very little chance your opponent can fight back. Then it works greatly as a fear deterrent.

My entire post was in response to someone else asking why they would attack cities. I never said they would. I was talking about possible repercussions if they did.

We're talking about the planet that took down the Goa'uld, the replicators, AND the Ori. If Earth didn't bow to the superior power of those, they ain't gonna bow to terrorist bombing. Again, it would be real stupid of the LA to think this.

All in straight up fights. The LA might not use the same "Hurr we'll just attack you head on" approach.

Puddle-Jumper
November 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
That would actually be pretty epic and resolve a bunch of stuff people have been complaining about. (Journeys back to Earth through the stones, etc) I like it. Has any other SciFi show successfully destroyed Earth?

I think it could really breath new life into the franchise too, it would certainly make SGA better, not having the IOA looking over their shoulders their shoulders putting in new leadership every 14 seconds, basically put a bit of an SGU spin into SGA, plus it could lead onto a new spin off, about whats left from Earth, establishing a new society, basically searching all the planets that O'neil put in the database way back in the fifth race (i.e. the planets that the LA wouldn't have addys for) for one that would suit as a new Earth, out of reach of their enemies

Though I like the comm stone based stories in SGU and the political aspect from Earth..

Kaiphantom
November 18th, 2010, 10:52 AM
You don't know what the LA goals are any more than the rest of us. All we know is there is an impending attack. Where, when and why is pure speculation.

Ah, but you see, we can speculate and divine possible reasons. And so far, all the reasons we've come up with have the problem of the cost vastly outweighing the benefits; ie, a stupid decision. Could they come up with a better reason that we didn't think about? Of course. But until then, it will definitely sound like a stupid idea.

All in straight up fights. The LA might not use the same "Hurr we'll just attack you head on" approach.

Funny, because the LA attacked Icarus in the straight head-on approach; and that was with a man on the inside!

thefunkyone
November 18th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Earth also has one major defence against attack, Arthurs mantle (http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Merlin%27s_computer).... That nifty phasing device that sam used to phase an alternate earth years back.... im pretty sure when she returned the earth government would have worked out a way to easily power the device to phase the planet at will... hell since the chair was destroyed at area 51 they have a full ZPM sitting around doing nothing, they could easly use that to power the mantle device probably for years...

In short the alliance shows up at earth and the planet phases leaving atlantis and the 5 304's we have to mop up the mess....

But im pretty sure TPTB will forget about the cool device that makes earth completely invincible :D

Zkyire
November 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Ah, but you see, we can speculate and divine possible reasons. And so far, all the reasons we've come up with have the problem of the cost vastly outweighing the benefits; ie, a stupid decision. Could they come up with a better reason that we didn't think about? Of course. But until then, it will definitely sound like a stupid idea.

Funny, because the LA attacked Icarus in the straight head-on approach; and that was with a man on the inside!

Well in that case they succeeded.

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Well in that case they succeeded.Sure, they blew up the planet they were trying to capture and lost their entire invading force and orbital support. Great success there. /sarcasm

That was an epic failure on their part. "Sure, let's bombard the highly unstable planet."

nx01a
November 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
how about straight out ignoring the 304's in orbit and just directly targeting cities?
or what about a sizeable fleet of Al'kesh. we don't have anything that can effectively fight them. it has shields, so railguns are useless and our APBW's cant really hit them. and missiles well they won't be THAT effectiveI would have a geekgasm if we saw a fleet of Al'kesh bombing major cities! Kinda like the Al'kesh flyby we say in Continuum, but with energy blasts!

I think the 'cloaked ship with nukes' route is the most obvious and potentially effective. What I'd love to see is the LA send a device through the Stargate using the IDC of another SGC member they've brainwashed, a device that takes out our stargate, the SGC and much of the surrounding area... THEN the Al'kesh start bombing!

I couldn't bear it if the LA damaged Atlantis. :(

Gaeth
November 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
All the reasons for why we'd be so great at defending ourselves are that much more incentive for why the LA would want to attack us. They want our stuff: Atlantis, Arthur's Mantle, our fleet of ships.

It may be more of a raid -looting, theft- than annihilation. Or it could be part of a plan to win by attrition.

Honestly all the reasons for why an LA faction wouldn't want to assault Earth are meaningless. War is a human endeavor and like humans it can be very illogical, even self defeating.

Zkyire
November 18th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Sure, they blew up the planet they were trying to capture and lost their entire invading force and orbital support. Great success there. /sarcasm

That was an epic failure on their part. "Sure, let's bombard the highly unstable planet."

They took on Earth forces head on, and said Earth forces were defeated. ie the LA were successful with that.

I never said their actual mission was successful.

Regardless of the LA's mission objectives, they proved that they're not weak. Careless, but not weak.

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I never said their mission was successful.

They took on Earth forces head on, and said Earth forces were defeated.

Regardless of the LA's mission objectives, they proved that they're not weak. Careless, but not weak.

I'm begining to notice that many people cannot respond without being snarky.Then, to be completely serious, explain how Earth lost. From where I'm standing:

Earth scorecard:
80+ personnel went to Destiny, taking it from the Alliance who wanted it.
Minimal casualties/losses.
One 304 not shooting back survived.

LA scorecard:
Hundreds of soldiers dead.
Dozens of gliders lost.
Three Ha'taks destroyed.
Mission objective failed.

Now tell me, how does this prove the LA are strong? They attacked a poorly defended outpost whose existence was guarded more by secrecy than manpower, and lost their entire invading force in the process. If this is strength, then the LA will have to completely destroy itself to destroy Earth.

nx01a
November 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
If this is strength, then the LA will have to completely destroy itself to destroy Earth.I can certainly see that happening, actually. There's no way the LA are going to survive if they attack Earth.

Zkyire
November 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Then, to be completely serious, explain how Earth lost. From where I'm standing:

Earth scorecard:
80+ personnel went to Destiny, taking it from the Alliance who wanted it.
Minimal casualties/losses.
One 304 not shooting back survived.

LA scorecard:
Hundreds of soldiers dead.
Dozens of gliders lost.
Three Ha'taks destroyed.
Mission objective failed.

Now tell me, how does this prove the LA are strong? They attacked a poorly defended outpost whose existence was guarded more by secrecy than manpower, and lost their entire invading force in the process. If this is strength, then the LA will have to completely destroy itself to destroy Earth.

304 retreated.
Earth Personel retreated.
Icarus base destroyed.

NormaN
November 18th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Blame it on meteors or terrorists and call it a day. Then allocate more research into detecting cloaked ships.

Well what I am saying the the Lucain Alliance could of strategically placed Cargo ships with nukes all around the United States to blow it sky high and not even expect it.

Kaiphantom
November 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
304 retreated.
Icarus base destroyed.

The word you're looking for is Pyrrhic Victory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory). Comes from King Pyrrhus of Epirus who, while won fights, would ultimately lose because he was losing too much to attain those victories. One popular paraphrasing of a quote of his is "One more such victory and we'll be undone!"

In short, if you feel that losing their entire significant attack force somehow counts as a victory for the LA, then I don't want you planning any strategies for me. Their whole mission in attacking was to seize the planet so they could gate to the 9th Chevron.

They failed. Spectacularly.

Not only did they lose their entire force, but they forced 80+ people onto Destiny who were later able to repel the force the LA eventually sent. Would you like to give a speech on an aircraft carrier that has a "Mission Accomplished!" banner across it?

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
304 retreated.
Icarus base destroyed.Great victory there. As Kai points out, they were only trying to capture the base. You have a funny definition of victory. Earth retreated because the planet was going to explode, while the Alliance stayed to die in the same explosion, and they achieved the Icarus mission in the process. Even in defeat Earth comes out on top.

Well what I am saying the the Lucain Alliance could of strategically placed Cargo ships with nukes all around the United States to blow it sky high and not even expect it.If they could, they would have already. It isn't their style. They're thugs, and thugs like to show off their power.

Zkyire
November 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM
The word you're looking for is Pyrrhic Victory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory). Comes from King Pyrrhus of Epirus who, while won fights, would ultimately lose because he was losing too much to attain those victories. One popular paraphrasing of a quote of his is "One more such victory and we'll be undone!"

In short, if you feel that losing losing their entire significant attack force somehow counts as a victory for the LA, then I don't want you planning any strategies for me. Their whole mission in attacking was to seize the planet so they could gate to the 9th Chevron.

Not only did they lose their entire force, but they forced 80+ people onto Destiny who were later able to repel the force the LA eventually sent. Would you like to give a speech on an aircraft carrier that has a "Mission Accomplished!" banner across it?

And again, for the last time.

I said, and I quote:

I never said their mission was successful.

Sapphire_Jade
November 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
They took on Earth forces head on, and said Earth forces were defeated. ie the LA were successful with that.

I never said their actual mission was successful.

This is the way I see it..in the case of Icarus the Hammond was caught off guard and they aren't stupid there was only 1 304 and how many ships of the LA? they knew if they shot at them they wouldn't stand a chance if they shot back... so they decided to take the defense and try to last as long as they could to give their people on the planet a chance to escape... the LA were the dumb ones for firing on the highly unstable planet and got themselves destroyed..

So with this new attack on Earth.. they might have had a chance with the element of surprise, but Ginn tipped Earth off and now they know to expect an attack so all of their 304's are going to be on high alert and I am sure Atlantis is keeping an eye on their deep space sensors looking for any ships headed their way in hyperspace.. I think the only reason Earth is looking for information on the attack is because they want to take the offense and stop the Alliance before they get the chance of attacking.. I really don't believe that they think the Alliance as a huge threat..

tinerin
November 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I haven't really payed alot of attention to the story but do we actually know for sure that the LA was trying to capture Icarus and not just destroy it? We know that they had a base on another planet capable of dialing the 9 chevron address and even though it took us two years to find the Icarus planet, they somehow had another base set up with their own modified stargate and all their supplies ready less than a year after the attack. What if it was a suicide attack disguised as them trying to take the base to draw less suspicion from the SGC?

If a single hatak had shown up hit the planet a few times from orbit and left before it blew up wouldn't that be way more suspicious and show that the LA had alot more intel on the base than just its location? With this method, they eliminated the SGC's only way of dialing the 9 chevron address and, if Telford hadn't been caught, the SGC would have never known that the LA knew what was going on at Icarus until they were ready to dial the 9 chevron address themselves.

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I haven't really payed alot of attention to the story but do we actually know for sure that the LA was trying to capture Icarus and not just destroy it? We know that they had a base on another planet capable of dialing the 9 chevron address and even though it took us two years to find the Icarus planet, they somehow had another base set up with their own modified stargate and all their supplies ready less than a year after the attack. What if it was a suicide attack disguised as them trying to take the base to draw less suspicion from the SGC?

If a single hatak had shown up hit the planet a few times from orbit and left before it blew up wouldn't that be way more suspicious and show that the LA had alot more intel on the base than just its location? With this method, they eliminated the SGC's only way of dialing the 9 chevron address and, if Telford hadn't been caught, the SGC would have never known that the LA knew what was going on at Icarus until they were ready to dial the 9 chevron address themselves.They landed a troop transport, which means they were trying to take the planet. They only found the replacement base after the destruction of Icarus.

tinerin
November 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
They landed a troop transport, which means they were trying to take the planet.

What does this prove? If they were pretending to want to capture the base, wouldn't they want to land a troop transport to make it as convincing as possible?

They only found the replacement base after the destruction of Icarus.

Was this actually stated in the show? In Subversion, one of the LA guys said they spent months doing a detailed orbital survey and Kiva said they've been close to being able to dial for months. Which means that with our amazing ships, Ancient and Asguard databases, and access to at least three nearby galaxies, it took us two years to find a planet and the LA found another one in a matter of months?

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM
What does this prove? If they were pretending to want to capture the base, wouldn't they want to land a troop transport to make it as convincing as possible?These people are not suicidal fanatics who would sacrifice an entire fleet and hundreds of men for a ruse. If they were landing a troop transport, they planned to take the base. Pure and simple.

Was this actually stated in the show? In Subversion, one of the LA guys said they spent months doing a detailed orbital survey and Kiva said they've been close to being able to dial for months. Which means that with our amazing ships, Ancient and Asguard databases, and access to at least three nearby galaxies, it took us two years to find a planet and the LA found another one in a matter of months?The Lucian Alliance has a much larger membership and fleet with which to locate planets. We have a handful of very powerful ships, most of which are busy with other matters. They found it because they have the manpower to search for it. Earth doesn't.

Pharaoh Atem
November 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
it would be sad with everything that's happen on the last two shows just to see us wiped out my corn farmers :P

themeatcleaver
November 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Okay there's something that's been said a few times here that's bugging me. The alliance firing/attacking the "unstable" planet that Icarus was on did NOT cause the planet to explode. Dialing Destiny is what caused the nuclear reaction in the planet's core, NOT the attack. Also, when the Alliance dialed Destiny, they blew THEIR planet up from dialing... the Earth attack did not cause the explosion.

jelgate
November 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Okay there's something that's been said a few times here that's bugging me. The alliance firing/attacking the "unstable" planet that Icarus was on did NOT cause the planet to explode. Dialing Destiny is what caused the nuclear reaction in the planet's core, NOT the attack. Also, when the Alliance dialed Destiny, they blew THEIR planet up from dialing... the Earth attack did not cause the explosion.
Then why did the core become unstable after the attack but before dialing Destiny?

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Okay there's something that's been said a few times here that's bugging me. The alliance firing/attacking the "unstable" planet that Icarus was on did NOT cause the planet to explode. Dialing Destiny is what caused the nuclear reaction in the planet's core, NOT the attack. Also, when the Alliance dialed Destiny, they blew THEIR planet up from dialing... the Earth attack did not cause the explosion.Both wrong and right.

Dialling Destiny and the attack is what caused Icarus to explode. The core was already destabilizing per the dialogue when Rush dialled Destiny. It was his entire reason for dialling in the first place. The Lucian Alliance planet exploded because Rush did not have time to set up the power transfer properly, so it created an instability that blew up the planet.

Sapphire_Jade
November 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM

before Rush dialed the 9th chevron he came up and said

RUSH: If this bombardment continues, the radioactive core's gonna go critical.

WALLACE: Y-you mean the planet –- it's gonna explode?

RUSH: Yes.

and then later when Eli told Young that Rush dialed the 9th chevron

WALLACE: Here. He didn't dial Earth. It's the nine chevron address.

YOUNG: What?!

(He walks towards Rush who finally reacts to his presence.)

RUSH: The attack started a chain reaction in the planet's core. There's no way of stopping that, and any blast could easily translate through an open wormhole. It's too dangerous to dial Earth.

the reason it went critical for the LA members is because they dialed before Rush finished calibrating the math to that planets properties...

themeatcleaver
November 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
before Rush dialed the 9th chevron he came up and said

WALLACE: Y-you mean the planet –- it's gonna explode?

RUSH: Yes.

and then later when Eli told Young that Rush dialed the 9th chevron

WALLACE: Here. He didn't dial Earth. It's the nine chevron address.

YOUNG: What?!

(He walks towards Rush who finally reacts to his presence.)

RUSH: The attack started a chain reaction in the planet's core. There's no way of stopping that, and any blast could easily translate through an open wormhole. It's too dangerous to dial Earth.

the reason it went critical for the LA members is because they dialed before Rush finished calibrating the math to that planets properties...

And.... you guys still believe ANYTHING that Rush said in the beginning of all this..? :)

morbosfist
November 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
And.... you guys still believe ANYTHING that Rush said in the beginning of all this..? :)RILEY: Doctor Rush? I'm reading a dangerous energy spike in the core.

I believe Riley.

Sapphire_Jade
November 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM
The planet is made up of naquadria deposits and we know it's highly unstable so firing on it would not be a very smart thing to do..

and true Rush hasn't been very truthful, but they almost had a successful dialing before and the only reason (that I got out of it) that it didn't work is because the address was wrong.. the power didn't start spiking until after the final chevron didn't lock and it was trying to draw power to make a lock that it couldn't..
RILEY: Chevron six locked. Chevron seven encoded. ... Chevron seven locked. Chevron eight encoded. ... Chevron eight locked. Chevron nine encoded.

(As the Gate spins on, the base begins to shake, and lightning sparks down from the capacitors suspended over the top of the Gate.)

WALLACE (nervously): Wh-what's going on?

SCOTT: I don't know. We never got this far before.

RILEY: Chevron nine ...

(He watches as the Gate continues to spin.)

RILEY: Chevron nine ... will not lock.

(An alarm sounds on the computer as Colonel Telford turns towards Riley's console in concern. Rush hurries over there.)

RUSH: We matched the power requirements down to the E.M.U. It must work.

RILEY: Power levels in the Gate capacitors are going into the red.

They had a non problematic dialing up until after the 9th chevron wouldn't lock.. the gate was pulling in more power to try to get it to lock, but couldn't because it wasn't the right address and that's what was bringing it into the red..

Flibby
November 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I was wondering if Atlantis is still in on Earth? One thing I just thought of was that the Atlantis probably had very advance scanners (even had very long range scanners that can detect hive ships across the galaxy) and the ancients have cloaking technology. It makes sense that the ancients probably have some form of anti-cloaking scanners so Atlantis may be able to detect a cloaked transport.
An interesting idea, but if that were the case, they would have used it when the Alliance were meeting Telford on Earth near the end of Season 1.

actuallyliam
November 18th, 2010, 10:51 PM
- Why are we assuming Atlantis is still on earth?
- Why are we assuming that Daedalus and Apollo will be near earth. After all they were primarily exploring Pegasus and taking supplies back and forth?
- Why are we assuming that the Chinese ship is going to be on earth when the attack happens after all they don't have a Stargate the off-world allies, the knowledge. The United States does?

I understand the panic, given that the LA were able to come and go undetected for years.

Steelbox
November 19th, 2010, 03:22 AM
- Why are we assuming Atlantis is still on earth?
- Why are we assuming that Daedalus and Apollo will be near earth. After all they were primarily exploring Pegasus and taking supplies back and forth?
- Why are we assuming that the Chinese ship is going to be on earth when the attack happens after all they don't have a Stargate the off-world allies, the knowledge. The United States does?

I understand the panic, given that the LA were able to come and go undetected for years.

Because we still don't know the real fate of Atlantis. EDIT: I mean where it really is.

thekillman
November 19th, 2010, 03:31 AM
And dang, I didn't realize how many ways the little old Lucian Alliance could wipe out all life on Earth. Space gangs really are scary. But I definitely agree that SG1 or someone would once again single-handedly defeat their forces right before they could do any of this stuff, hehe.

i'll call crazy tom for you and he'll explain how -realistically- there are even more methods to defeat earth so hard it's not funny. and how you can defeat the 304's in a straight out fight. believe me, it's terrifying.

I would have a geekgasm if we saw a fleet of Al'kesh bombing major cities! Kinda like the Al'kesh flyby we say in Continuum, but with energy blasts!

I think the 'cloaked ship with nukes' route is the most obvious and potentially effective. What I'd love to see is the LA send a device through the Stargate using the IDC of another SGC member they've brainwashed, a device that takes out our stargate, the SGC and much of the surrounding area... THEN the Al'kesh start bombing!

I couldn't bear it if the LA damaged Atlantis

i've been theorising that an LHC, with stargate technology incorporated, shouldn't just be able to burn through the stargate, but as a result, there would be pretty much a big x-ray flash + tons of radiation coming straight through it.

the shield, well no idea how atlantis' shield stands against radiation, but some sustained beam will draw significant power. or the shield will leak energy.

i think they didn't expect earth to successfully dial.

i think this was the LA's actual plan:

-bombard the planet, and destroy/damage the facility so the 9th chevron can't be dialed anytime soon.

-send in troop to try and capture it/ the remains. or to ensure the facility is actually down.

i don't think the whole planet blowing up aspect was intended.

The planet is made up of naquadria deposits and we know it's highly unstable so firing on it would not be a very smart thing to do..

the core was made of naquahdriah. the worst case scenario for the LA was probably a small nuclear explosion. however by tapping into the core's power for a 9th chevron dial, this little bang became a big bang.

realistically, going critical is what you WANT. when the core is critical, the chain reaction is stable. subcritical=reaction is dying out, supercritical=spiralling out of control.

logic dictates that, should Rush have dialled anywhere in the Milkyway, that spike wouldn't have been so massive. earth flees, the LA stops the bombardment, the core goes subcritical and the planet is theirs.

Flibby
November 19th, 2010, 04:01 AM
We find out about Atlantis in the crossover episode.
McKay and Woolsey are in the crossover episode and it was said that the episode is about them doing stuff in the Milky Way to help the people on Destiny.
Also, they dismantled the SGC set.
Also, I'm pretty sure that the events of EatG nearly depleted the ZPM's on Atlantis, which would make it impossible for them to take Atlantis back to Pegasus. Why would they want to anyways?

It hasn't been stated specifically, but all this info points towards Atlantis staying on Earth.

garhkal
November 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM
IIRC at the end, they said the drain was not as bad as they initially thought... more that it taxed the systems (kind of like having too much drain on a battery, so it starts dying out, but when the drain is gone the battery kicks back to life...

Nth Chevron
November 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
The core of the Icarus planet couldnt have been Naquadriah, for the simple reasons of Stargate SG-1 season 8, under heat and pressure Naquadriah will explode, Langara had this problem with a Naquadriah deposit which only reached down 80km iirc.

Now compare the heat and pressure of the crust (close to the Moho. Discont.) to the heat and pressures INSIDE and actual core - that couldnt scientifically exist. period.

Icarus planet was unique in some-way or another as was stated, the way the LA came to Destiny is pure swill in my eyes, a planet laced with Naquadriah, the most powerful element we know off, rare as hell, yet a whole planet of the stuff?

Oh, and Naquadriah doesnt exist in nature, Thenos created the first Langaran Naquadriah.

Which brings us to the Goa'uld. Taking into account the Goa'ulds tendency to dominate and control, and have massive empires to make up for a lack of something in another area, that they wouldnt have found the LA Naquadriah planet?

Granted, the Goa'uld were blighted by short-sightedness and not the exploratative type, but come on, many Goa'uld's throughout the 2,000 years of their dominance, and beyond through times we dont know off, were flying around the galaxy. Now, you mean to tell me, that the cast of Braveheart, in space, found, potentially, the most powerful planet in the known universe, in a matter of months, quite possibly close to former Goa'uld space, and not a single Goa'uld, like Anubis for example, never found it?

The sensor readings would have shown the fluctuations in the unstable Naquadriah from fair distance i would say, the Goa'uld only wanted more power, so a planet full of Naquadriah would have been there answer to dominance of the other Goa'uld.

Besides, there was a pyramid on that planet - so the Goa'uld must have known about it, but not done anything with it??

I accept the Naquadriah planet as a plot device for getting the LA aboard Destiny, i honestly do, but to try and feed us the scientific crap about Naquadriah - when its been previously stated that Naquadriah was pretty much indigenous to Langara and only because thats where Thenos created it.

[/RANT]

N.C

daedalus91
November 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the 304's can detect the cloaked ships, also they all have Asgard tech, i find it hard to beleive that the Asgard cannot see through the Goa'uld/Lucian Alliance cloaked ships. After all Anubis could on many occasions. I honestly don't see how the LA can pull off an attack going up against:

Hammond.
Apollo.
Sun Tzu.
Daedalus.
Odyssey.
And maybe Atlantis?
They wouldn't have a chance!

jelgate
November 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the 304's can detect the cloaked ships, also they all have Asgard tech, i find it hard to beleive that the Asgard cannot see through the Goa'uld/Lucian Alliance cloaked ships. After all Anubis could on many occasions. I honestly don't see how the LA can pull off an attack going up against:

Hammond.
Apollo.
Sun Tzu.
Daedalus.
Odyssey.
And maybe Atlantis?
They wouldn't have a chance!

We never have been able to see through cloaks before I don't see how that would chane

Smooth
November 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
I still do not understand why the LA would bother attacking earth. Despite any grudges that they may have, what is there to gain? A frontal assault on earth would cost them a sizable portion of their fleet, causing whatever clans that were involved in the attack to lose grip on their own territories, likely to clans not committed to the attack. Even terrorist style attacks would only serve to unite and militarize earth. In order for either of those plans to succeed, they would have to destroy earth entirely. The risk of losing much of their fleet and/or starting a chain of events that would make knowledge of the rest of the universe apparent to the general public of earth seems hardly worth it. So what could they possibly have to gain that would be of such vital importance to warrant the attack in the first place? It really doesn't make sense. If they didn't attack, then what? They still control their portions of the galaxy and only have to deal with earth "meddling" in their affairs. The best thing the LA could do is stay far away from earth.

tomstone
November 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
I still do not understand why the LA would bother attacking earth. Despite any grudges that they may have, what is there to gain? A frontal assault on earth would cost them a sizable portion of their fleet, causing whatever clans that were involved in the attack to lose grip on their own territories, likely to clans not committed to the attack. Even terrorist style attacks would only serve to unite and militarize earth. In order for either of those plans to succeed, they would have to destroy earth entirely. The risk of losing much of their fleet and/or starting a chain of events that would make knowledge of the rest of the universe apparent to the general public of earth seems hardly worth it. So what could they possibly have to gain that would be of such vital importance to warrant the attack in the first place? It really doesn't make sense. If they didn't attack, then what? They still control their portions of the galaxy and only have to deal with earth "meddling" in their affairs. The best thing the LA could do is stay far away from earth.

Attacking Earth is an easy way to victory. If they actually manage to Destroy earth, they would have the full attention of the MW. Earth got up by Defeating System Lords, Destroying the ones that Destroyed them all would make the LA the new Topdogs.

garhkal
November 24th, 2010, 05:00 AM
We never have been able to see through cloaks before I don't see how that would chane

Yup.. Heck the Daedalus (siege 3) needed shep to decloak to see him and lock on with the asgard beams. They could hear his transmissions though since they were going back and fourth...

Attacking Earth is an easy way to victory. If they actually manage to Destroy earth, they would have the full attention of the MW. Earth got up by Defeating System Lords, Destroying the ones that Destroyed them all would make the LA the new Topdogs.

Yup... Beat the best around, and become the new best..

daedalus91
November 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that in an ep of SG1 somewhere in Season 9 Carter says she can calibrate the ship so that it can pick up various signitures.
Also, Anubis could and so could the Asgard and we have their tech, so i'm sure that we would be able too.

lars
November 26th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Well.. Just wait for it and see what the writers will think of. I can see it go both ways, earth may be able to detect cloaked ships with some device (and safe the day).. or not so much. Anyone played Mass Effect? The avatar's ship is able to cloak itself by holding back its warmth and 'exhaust fumes'-aquivalents. But only for a limitied amount of time and the ship would still be optically visible. There are a lot of ways in a sci fi setting to implement a cloaking device for space ships. There's no point in discussing if Earths ships should be able to detect them or not, as it is a TV show and no actual science.. just lean back and nit pick afterwards

Giantevilhead
November 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Cloaked ships should not be able to infiltrate earth at all. Atlantis has the ability to detect ships in hyperspace from light years away. The Asgard were able to detect hyperspace travel within a 1,200 lightyear radius around earth. Since no Goa'uld ship is able to stay cloaked while in hyperspace, they would need to leave hyperspace outside of earth's sensor range, cloak, and then travel to earth in normal space. The fact that they were able to infiltrate earth before suggests that earth is full of incompetent idiots who don't know how to use the tech they have.

The only chance the Lucien Alliance has against earth is if they have ships come out of hyperspace right in earth's atmosphere and kamikaze the planet.

garhkal
November 29th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Perhaps we have not managed to locate that part of the Asgard database and make our own version.

Giantevilhead
November 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Perhaps we have not managed to locate that part of the Asgard database and make our own version.

The Asgard database is extremely user friendly. It shouldn't be that hard for them to find what they need.

Plus they still have Atlantis and the enhanced Asgard sensors on the Odyssey, which they could have replicated on the other ships or made a ground/satellite based version.

garhkal
November 30th, 2010, 03:01 AM
But the ancient sensors never showed us they could track a cloaked ship. And who's to say the oddesy could?

Mozzza
December 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
My thoughts may contain spoilers up to The Greater Good.

What if the Earth gets destroyed in the attack? Then there is no going home! :)... but, they could still right the wrongs in the final episode, assuming they find out enough about the universe to control reality.

jelgate
December 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
My thoughts may contain spoilers up to The Greater Good.

What if the Earth gets destroyed in the attack? Then there is no going home! :)... but, they could still right the wrongs in the final episode, assuming they find out enough about the universe to control reality.
The writers are never going to have Earth destroyed.

Mozzza
December 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
The writers are never going to have Earth destroyed.

Awww, but, but... :P

garhkal
December 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
No.. BUT it still would be awesome to see..