This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not one planet has life?

So by now destiny gated to something like 15 planets right. Is it annoying anyone that they have yet to run into a culture of some kind? I understand there cant be humans like in the Pegasus and Milky way, but still, but something, not every planet can be "dead".

Am I the only one that thinks this?

I think it helps convey how far away and alone they really are. As I understand it the humans were scattered throughout different plants by the gou'uld but this shows us they never even got out this far.

Comment

Do you realize how unlikely it is for sapient life to actually evolve? The fact that they found one planet which had sapient life at one point is astonishing. The only reason there were so many humans in the Milky Way and Pegasus is because the Ancients/Goa'uld put them there.

Comment

Well.. eventually?

First of all, in Season one we had one planet with genuinely humanoidish ruins.. These were strange enough.

An advanced civilization would eventually be quite upset if some alien space vessel would pop up and drop one giant ring on your planet. As these gates won't come with a DHD and its rather dubios if you can dial them manually and even if you could, you wouldn't know any adresses. And finally, the gates you would be able to reach are only a few, due to the reduced range of the SGU-gates.

And yes, besides it wouldn't make for one good sci fi show, you could easily imagine traversing dozens of galaxies, billions of solar systems without every meeting an advanced life form. Just depends on which side of this particuliar astrobiologic discussion you suit your self (see infamous Drake equation). But I guess that was not exactly what you wanted to hear ;-)
        Any sufficiently advanced race is indistinguishable from god.

(..to any insufficiently advanced race)

Comment

"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination."
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Copy and paste from a previous post of mine because i'm to tired to reword/write

So you're(OP) describing what happened in the Milky Way and then positing, why wouldn't it happen this way everywhere? I think the answer is simply different starting conditions. What happened here is largely due to the ancients both seeding our galaxy with life and heavily seeding it with gates and in absence of those two driving forces the outcome we experienced becomes orders of magnitude less likely.

The blues are probably a good example of a race that, presumably lacking a stargate on their home planet, evolved normally. They achieved tech good enough for interstellar travel, spread out and colonized worlds and then eventually encountered gates but since their civilization is not built around gates the discovery has no immediate effect on them other than a healthy obsession with destiny.

If a species is limited by how much energy they can produce I think the System builders have sufficient mastery of their universe that stargates are toys of little use to them. I guess you could summarize by saying that species that evolve off the grid are less likely to have any use for it once they stumble upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by powerdbygarrett View Post
              So by now destiny gated to something like 15 planets right. Is it annoying anyone that they have yet to run into a culture of some kind? I understand there cant be humans like in the Pegasus and Milky way, but still, but something, not every planet can be "dead".

Am I the only one that thinks this?
              Nope your not the only one. SGU has been seriously lacking in that department. SGU is trying to convey realism but still your out there in the far reaches of the universe, not every planet can't be semi dead. I mean where is the imagination and wonder that stargate always had. Not saying it should be a village of the week type thing but Imagine greater SGU.

Comment

There's plenty of life.

Just not the human life you want.

Honestly, I welcome the change after 15 seasons of every planet in the universe speaking English.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanten View Post
                  There's plenty of life.

Just not the human life you want.
                  Who said they have to be human.

Comment

Originally posted by Derocalypse View Post
                    Who said they have to be human.
                    Apparently this thread, given that there are alien races.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanten View Post
                      Apparently this thread, given that there are alien races.
                      I think the OP is talking about running into alien cultures on some of the planets they gate to.

Comment

Originally posted by Derocalypse View Post
                        I think the OP is talking about running into alien cultures on some of the planets they gate to.
                        Maybe the Destiny has been choosing planets without alien cultures on them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                          Maybe the Destiny has been choosing planets without alien cultures on them.
                          I think this is the case for the mission (for which the gates make a part of probably). The Ancients who came with the idea didn't want anyone moving the gates, so they chose planets with no or primitive life and which have the supplies Destiny needs.
                          The Destiny gate network is pretty much linear and it has a purpose, moving a gate would ruin their original plan, whatever it exactly was/is.

Comment

I want to see alien civilizations and I don't care whether its realistic or not, this is a science fiction show.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                              I want to see alien civilizations and I don't care whether its realistic or not, this is a science fiction show.
                              LOL, I don't mind it being like it is...I am on the rollercoasterride and enjoying what is being presented to me.
                              Alien civ. will be a thing for the future. I only hope they will have an alliance with something lol

Comment

Working...
                              X