This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Internet Help Request!

I'm having trouble with my computer, in that when I try to access certain websites I get an error message saying HTTP 404 and some other stuff which I cannot read because it's in Chinese (I can accept it's in Chinese because I'm in China, otherwise I really would be worried!). Does anyone know what this means and, even better, how I can get past it?
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

404 is the Permissions is denied error right? - Yeah I am pretty sure it is.

It sounds to me (and it happens more often then you may relize) that the website is behind a secured directory and the owner did not give public access. I am sure if you post some of the links here others will most likely get the same error on these sites.

As for the langauge thing.. I dont know. I am in the States so obviously I read english, but there are some sites that dont get translated for me. Just a quirk maybe. Try going to Microsofts site and getting updated langage packs
    You can not even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind
    our scientists long ago extracted parts of the ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it
    but we have been studying it for as long as I can remember and we have barely scrathed the surfice

Comment

i have no idea if this applies to you or not, recently i had an issue with norton anti-virus/internet security. it started not starting up and if it's not started up, the default is that my computer will not go to any secured sites.

it took me a couple of days to figure it out since most of the net is unsecured sites.

if you have a firewall, maybe its settings need to be changed
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

No its not his computer - Its theres whomeever is hosting the website. ALl those 404 pages and what not are server side not locally on the machine
        You can not even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind
        our scientists long ago extracted parts of the ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it
        but we have been studying it for as long as I can remember and we have barely scrathed the surfice

Comment

404 means that the site/page is down..or doesn't exist

Comment

Thanks to all for your help. I'll try fiddling with the settings and see if that helps, and I'll try being patient and waiting for the problem to fix itself, and if neither of those works I'll just eat some chocolate.
            sum ergo cogitum
            I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
              ...and if neither of those works I'll just eat some chocolate.
              Just pop some pop corn... it is more healthy

Comment

I don't care if it's more healthy! I like chocolate, dammit!

Oh, did you see? I made Jaffa Warrior - yay!
                sum ergo cogitum
                I am therefore I think.

Comment

A 404 is "File Not Found." The page isn't there on the server: It's the Web site's fault, unless you followed an old or mistyped link from outside that site.
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                    A 404 is "File Not Found." The page isn't there on the server: It's the Web site's fault, unless you followed an old or mistyped link from outside that site.
                    When you're right you're right. But Darren, why does Champos' post appear wider than anyone else's?
                    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                      When you're right you're right. But Darren, why does Champos' post appear wider than anyone else's?
                      I'm special. People with authority like me. People take pity on me. All of the above.

Edit: Just worked it out. It's because my location is so long. I'll make it shorter.
                      Last edited by Champos; 20 May 2004, 02:03 AM.
                      sum ergo cogitum
                      I am therefore I think.

Comment

I liked China better.
                        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Error 404 - Page Does Not Exist / Not Available

Sometimes it is just a glitch that your computer has. It has happened to me before. A load of pages say 404 when the website does exist. It depends what security software is installed
                          __

__

Comment

Refresh button migh help...also try F5 or Ctrl+F5

Comment

Working...
                            X